Author Topic: Flico - Squeaky Backspace!  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Shaikoten

Flico - Squeaky Backspace!
« on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 11:50:32 »
So having just picked up a Ninja 104 with browns, I'm really enjoying the keyboard. By far the best I've ever had the pleasure of typing on. However, one extremely small issue has come up. I've heard of the dreaded "PING," which is not something I have experienced thus far. Instead there's a squeaking sound when my pinky taps the backspace key--and notably, only the lower left end of the backspace key. If I tap the center of the key, there's no squeaking whatsoever, just a healthy click.

I'm thinking this may be an issue with the stabalizer. Maybe a bit of lubrication? Anyone else experienced this issue before and know how to deal with it? Until I get my cap puller from Keyboard Co I'm going to hold off on popping the caps off. Just a minor issue, really but who wants ANY issues, amirite?

Offline redpill

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 12:23:32 »
Taking the key cap off is easy, you can use a couple paperclips.  Just go slow and be careful not to break the stabilizer plugs underneath.  The little metal stabilizers go through plastic hoops on either end of the key, and you need to gently get them out before the key will finally come off.  Then get some white lithium grease and put a small dab on each portion of the stabilizer where it contacts plastic: down on the board itself, and up at the tip where it would contact the white plugs that go into the keycap.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 13:26:19 »
I had that issue with my Brown 87. A little lithium grease and you're right as rain

Offline Shaikoten

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 13:35:52 »
Thanks for the input everyone. Glad to hear that it's a simple fix, I'll give it a shot tonight. I was just concerned about the stabalizers.

Offline Shaikoten

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 16:40:57 »
Amusingly enough it didn't even need any lubrication; I just took it off of the stabilizers and then put them back on and it sounds fine now.

Offline ChaosBattery

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 16:55:40 »
Quote from: Shaikoten;417191
Until I get my cap puller from Keyboard Co I'm going to hold off on popping the caps off.

I just got the same exact board as you.  There should already be a key puller in the box, along with an alternate set of front-printed windows keys.  Just wanted to mention that before you go and order another key puller.

Offline Shaikoten

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 17:10:16 »
Quote from: ripster;417363
Does that mean you're not joining my petition to make this a sticky?

Yeah yeah, I'll be getting around to it. Was helpful.

Quote from: ChaosBattery;417374
I just got the same exact board as you.  There should already be a key puller in the box, along with an alternate set of front-printed windows keys.  Just wanted to mention that before you go and order another key puller.

My box didn't have any included, but I already talked to keyboard co and they're sending them out free of charge, so, yay for them. Good 'blokes' as I believe their Britland parlance is.

Offline ChaosBattery

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 17:33:07 »
I'd give Shaikoten the benefit of the doubt on that one, I don't think it's possible to have removed the rest of the USB cord from under the flaps without seeing the puller and extra caps in that opening.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 17:56:00 »
My backspace (Filco too) is a bit squeaky too.

I went ahead and applied some bearing grease. It's blue coloured and lithium based as well. I hope that it does not eat plastic :lol:

The squeaky is gone now :biggrin1:
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2013, 06:49:31 by F u r u y á »
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline Shaikoten

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 19:24:48 »
Quote from: ripster;417396
Did you make sure by opening up all the cardboard flaps around the PS/2 dongle?

I'm serious - this has happened before.

Yep. Nothing in there but the dongle. I guess it's already being shipped off, so I can get rid of these clumsy windows keys soon.

Offline redpill

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 21:51:38 »
For being supposedly confined to a subforum, you sure do spam the keyboard forum a lot.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline jbluzb

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 December 2011, 03:12:15 »
mine got fixed, the stablizers where the problem, it was just loose