Author Topic: First Mechanical Purchase, White Cherry MX Brown Keyboard?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline eipxen

First Mechanical Purchase, White Cherry MX Brown Keyboard?
« on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 18:16:02 »
Hey guys,

I've never bought a mechanical keyboard before, and am looking to.  I am currently using my Mom's old keyboard, an at&t 305B (about which there is a post somewhere on this forum...), so I've used buckling springs before, but am looking for something with a lighter touch.  I am thinking of taking this keyboard to work with me, as well, so I'd prefer if I could get something a little quieter.  After lurking around the forums for a bit, I feel like either Cherry MX Browns or Cherry MX Reds would be nice.  

In lurking, I've been thinking about Filcos, Leopolds, the Das, the Razer Blackwidow Stealth, and Duckys.  I like the Duckys and Razer for the price, mostly, and am interested in the Das because I've heard there is a student discount.

What puts me off the Das is the glossiness.
    What puts me off the Razer is... I suppose the style.  I'm kind of into it, but also a bit on the fence.  It also seems to have a large footprint, and I think I'd rather either have something with a standard/smallish layout, or a tenkeyless (to keep the mouse closer to my home rows).

So I'm left thinking about the Filcos, Leopolds, and Duckys, and though I've heard the Duckys are perhaps less sturdy, I think they look pretty appealing, since they're quite a few dollars cheaper.

This post has gotten sort of rambly/information dump-y, so I guess this is the sum total:

+ I want a tenkeyless keyboard
    + I would prefer it to be white, for the sexiness
    + I'm not sure if Filcos/Leopolds are worth it over Duckys, and I'm not sure how to find white versions of each

Can you guys help?

Thanks!

Offline pitashen

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 19:39:42 »
Ducky is a good choice if you are the type of person who would like to save every possible penny  from your pocket. But I would personally go for an extra mile to go for Filco/Leopold.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 22:00:45 »
Quote from: ripster;417459
Welcome to Geekhack!

According to Ripster's Weight Theorem (I NEED a spiffier name) the Ducky is only 150g/1Kg or so less in Build Quality.  So clearly visible, but not bad.   I have no idea what your price sensitivity is so good luck with the decision!

Ripster's Anti-Gravity Proportionality Theorem?
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 22:12:00 »
Quote from: pitashen;417458
Ducky is a good choice if you are the type of person who would like to save every possible penny  from your pocket. But I would personally go for an extra mile to go for Filco/Leopold.

white duckys are hard to find. same goes with white leopolds (we just had a group buy straight from leopold and all they had were 4)

and white filcos have more of a beige tint to it, unlike the what ripster likes to call "michael jackson white" that duckys have.

the choc mini was just introduced in white, but that's smaller than a TKL if im not mistaken

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22015-White-color-noppoo-arrived-on-Black-Brown-Blue-Switches link to it. qtan is a great seller BTW.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 September 2011, 22:14:11 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline spzz

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 07:58:17 »
Tbh, white Filco's, Leopolds or Ducky's are quite hard to find. I think a guy was selling White Filco's on Geekhack but I think he ran out. Also, you most likely be paying premium for a white Filco/Leopold/Ducky. If you want a sexy looking keyboard you can always get a black one and then buy some black-on-black keyswitches, or some white switches on a black 'board ^^. Or you can get a white choc mini like another
guy said if you want it ASAP.

Offline eipxen

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 12:08:38 »
I forgot to thank everyone before, so thank you all.  Everyone on this forum is very generous with their time and knowledge, and it is much appreciated :)

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing that it's hard to find white keyboards :(  None of the links for filco, leopold, and ducky offer white keyboards, as far as I can see.

How do the leopolds compare to the filcos?  They seem to be much cheaper, but I've read around here that there are made by the same company, and designed by the same designer?  What would really make a filco TKL different from a Leopold TKL?

If I were to get a black keyboard, how easy/expensive would it be to get white keycaps or alternate keycaps?  I like the idea of making a checkerboard or just mixed-color keyboard, though it's certainly not essential.  I'm guessing the keycaps for the duckys and filcos are not entirely compatible,

Offline redpill

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 12:45:49 »
If you want to jump through some hoops you might be able to get a white Ducky through TaoBaoBee, but it's not the easiest purchase process.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 13:03:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

According to Ripster's Weight Theorem (I NEED a spiffier name) the Ducky is only 150g/1Kg or so less in Build Quality.  So clearly visible, but not bad.   I have no idea what your price sensitivity is so good luck with the decision!
For impressive names, just adapt philosophy concepts to your needs:

Popper's falsifiability criterion of meaning -> Ripster's variable weight criterion of Build-Quality

Other impressive names (that may require more adaptaiton) include:
Pessimistic Meta-induciton
Theory of Epistemological Meta-induciton

Etc.

Really, if you want impressive name,s look no further than a classical Philosophy classroom.
----

On topic, Have you considered ordering a keyboard that is black, and getting some nice white keys for it? I was considering that, as the contrast really looks nice to me. Also, I believe you can get the Cherry-branded boards in white, though I don't like them, as they seem unnecessarily free with assigning (unneeded?) space above the function keys.

And the new corsair K-60 boards (Cherry MX red, it seems) are in Aluminum, which isn't white, but is pretty close. You can add some WASD keycaps to it, and have a really spiffy-looking (in my humble opinion) board.

If you want a smaller one, you can probably get a White PLU-ML87 pretty easily. I also hear that White Noppoo boards will come soon. (The noppoo, is, according to the reviews I read, of acceptable build quality.)

I'm a fan of the WASD keyboards (and service), so I recommend them. You can get a Semi-custom with white keycaps for what I deem to be a good price.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/wasd-v1-semi-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

Also, you can grab some Doubleshot keycaps from an old Cherry board on E-bay, or from one of the many group-buys that occur here (does SP sell to anyone else? :p )

Offline crazing

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 15:57:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Critic-al Mass.

Offline eipxen

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 13:20:29 »
Thanks for the help!

I feel like I haven't found a solid consensus on the PLU keyboards from reading around here.  Are they of good quality?  I probably won't ever need to worry about NRKO, although I guess it'd be a nice bonus.  I care if something will last me a long time, so while the PLUs are temptingly cheap (or seem to be), I don't know how to handle ordering from the site, and I'm not sure how durable the keyboard is.  It seems that white ones aren't too hard to come by, so that would be a plus.

Is it very hard to get used to the layout on the Noppo minis?  I think I'd rather have something with a more standard layout.

Again, thanks for the help, everyone!

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 13:28:48 »
Quote from: eipxen;418186
Thanks for the help!

I feel like I haven't found a solid consensus on the PLU keyboards from reading around here.  Are they of good quality?  I probably won't ever need to worry about NRKO, although I guess it'd be a nice bonus.  I care if something will last me a long time, so while the PLUs are temptingly cheap (or seem to be), I don't know how to handle ordering from the site, and I'm not sure how durable the keyboard is.  It seems that white ones aren't too hard to come by, so that would be a plus.

Is it very hard to get used to the layout on the Noppo minis?  I think I'd rather have something with a more standard layout.

Again, thanks for the help, everyone!
Apparently, while the PLUs are cheap, the build quality isn't up to snuff compared to the slightly more expensive boards, such as the much beloved Filcos or slightly less beloved Leopolds.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 September 2011, 13:29:35 by Quarzac »
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 15:35:51 »
doesn't Qtan still have some white PLU ML-G3000 NKRO edition keyboards?

bought one of the ones with red switches in black and am still very happy with it.

Qtan's ebay page

PLU ML-G3000 NKRO edition with red switches