Author Topic: Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)  (Read 350869 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)
« Reply #1600 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 08:39:17 »
Quote from: mkawa;530398
lowpoly-esque plate build? eh?

Sure: Like Lowpoly's Apple MO110
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:20898

More recently, there was another one, but I forget the name.

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #1601 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 10:44:50 »
Agree with agor :(
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1602 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 11:30:16 »
Quote from: dorkvader;531924
Sure: Like Lowpoly's Apple MO110
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:20898

More recently, there was another one, but I forget the name.
woah, weird but cool.

that reminds me, i want to pick that dude's brain about trackpoints.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1603 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 12:51:21 »
Quote from: agor;531839
Oh boy, makes me even more sad :(

If it makes you feel any better, buyers have to provide their own cases, or have purchased one of litster's acrylic cases, neither of which are cheap.

Offline agor

« Reply #1604 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 14:17:24 »
No it doesn't :D
Probably would have tried a wood casing of some sort
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #1605 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 14:34:41 »
Doesn't help me either :)
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1606 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 21:53:06 »
Quote from: harrison;532376
Lots of options to make your own though (within that 'provide') that are neither expensive or require a lot of skill.  cardboard, or corrugated plastic both work as a prototype medium, and once you have a functional template, transferring that to 1/4" acrylic isn't hard with basic hand tool knowledge.

the shop near me that i'm buying the plastic from in the first place is willing to take cad/sketch-up drawings and laser cut the acrylic so long as i buy it from them.

Nice, I might try to do something similar.  What are they charging you for the materials and cutting?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1607 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 23:06:34 »
i'm up for working on an open case design with folks, since i will be doing something similar. haven't decided on material yet, but leaning toward milled aluminum

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1608 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 00:27:39 »
Quote from: harrison;532870
part of me wants to see how straight i can cut it myself using a router and jig.
straight enough for government work but not enough for enthusiast work. acrylic is a ***** to cut. it melts, a lot.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1609 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 00:48:38 »
I was wondering woulds my special plate even work? The concern is the F row. lootbag brought this up to me so i thought that i would check because he couldnt spot the places for the switches on the PCB and non of the other layouts have it. I forgot what template i used to make my layout but i want to make sure that its even possible.

Offline agor

« Reply #1610 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 01:25:11 »
If someone has a spare
TEENSY
PHANTOM
PHISOWIN

Drop me a PM please :(
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline captain

« Reply #1611 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 05:42:53 »
Is anyone else getting repeated messages from email9@... claiming that you haven't paid, when you have?  Who do we write to to clear this mess up?

I would also like an extra TEENSY controller.  I guess I updated my order too late.  Anyone?
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline captain

« Reply #1612 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 05:46:55 »
There is a JavaScript embedded on the first page of this thread from moneytraders.biz.  Looks fishy.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline Zoxc

« Reply #1613 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 06:52:52 »
Did anyone check if the PLU M-87 case fits?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1614 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 10:53:47 »
Quote from: captain;534773
There is a JavaScript embedded on the first page of this thread from moneytraders.biz.  Looks fishy.

Definitely PM iMav about this.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #1615 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 12:29:40 »
Quote from: Zoxc;534788
Did anyone check if the PLU M-87 case fits?
Yes. I forget who, but they got 3 from qtan, and affirmed filco compatibility. It was kind-of awesome.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #1616 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 13:17:51 »
Quote from: captain;534771
Is anyone else getting repeated messages from email9@... claiming that you haven't paid, when you have?  Who do we write to to clear this mess up?

I would also like an extra TEENSY controller.  I guess I updated my order too late.  Anyone?

I only get updates from time to time. If you paid, just ignore them.

It is not like regular spam mail. In the end it will stop by itself and you get your keyboard or switches or whatever you ordered.

Extra TEENSY: This had been messed up. Not my fault that there where too few ordered.
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #1617 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 14:18:20 »
Quote from: captain;534771

You paid $173.49 as of Feb 21st.  If you made changes after we are closed and after you paid, then that is expected.  You haven't paid for the items you added after we are closed, have you?  Does the new amount match the new items you ordered after we are closed?

Did I mention we are closed, we are not taking orders anymore?

If you need a teensy, you need to order one yourself directly from the vendor.  Sorry.

Offline litster

« Reply #1618 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 14:25:00 »
Quote from: dorkvader;534989
Yes. I forget who, but they got 3 from qtan, and affirmed filco compatibility. It was kind-of awesome.

That was TheProfosist.  From looking at pictures of PLU, it appears that PLU's case is very similar to Filco's case.  No one has said that they put a Filco case side-by-side with a PLU case and said that they are exactly the same, or no on has put a Filco innards into a PLU case or vis versa to confirm they are perfect match.  

They may as well be the same, but no one has "checked" as far as I am concerned.  Use the information at your own risk.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1619 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 17:32:07 »
Quote from: litster;535082
That was TheProfosist.  From looking at pictures of PLU, it appears that PLU's case is very similar to Filco's case.  No one has said that they put a Filco case side-by-side with a PLU case and said that they are exactly the same, or no on has put a Filco innards into a PLU case or vis versa to confirm they are perfect match.  

They may as well be the same, but no one has "checked" as far as I am concerned.  Use the information at your own risk.

I bought based on measurements as they were exact so i didnt se a reason why they wouldnt fit. I tried getting people eho have bothe to do the swap temporarily but they all declined.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1620 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 19:36:36 »
i suspect the PLU case will fit more or less -- the fixation screw may be out of place (like the quickfire case). however, atm i think the quickfire case is quite a bit cheaper.

ps, lister: do you have an estimate on shipment times yet, or are we still waiting to hear back from 7bit's switch suppliers? i'm debating picking up a quickfire to use to make case measurements and do prototyping with... but if the boards are showing up in the next month or so i'll just wait.

Offline litster

« Reply #1621 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 20:29:41 »
On the States side, BiNiaRiS has ordered everything except the digikey parts (or maybe he ordered them already), and me making another 40 7x stabilizer bars.  BiNiaRiS will receive the PCBs in 2 weeks or so.  I will need to send him all the 7x stabilizer bars that I will make.  Then he will sort and send the EU orders to 7bit.  Potentially, BiNiaRiS could send out orders that do not have switches.  Otherwise we have to wait for 7bit to order the switches, wait for delivery to him, and then have him sort and send all the switches for non EU orders to BiNiaRiS.  Then when BiNiaRiS receives the switches, he will need to sort them and pack all the parts and send them out.  I think it will be at least 2 months from now.

Also, I don't think Quickfire's case will fit.  The holes are at different places due partly to the removable cable and the cable gutters on the bottom case.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1622 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 20:31:26 »
ok thanks. i'll hold off.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1623 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 20:38:44 »
Quote from: litster;535257
On the States side, BiNiaRiS has ordered everything except the digikey parts (or maybe he ordered them already), and me making another 40 7x stabilizer bars.  BiNiaRiS will receive the PCBs in 2 weeks or so.  I will need to send him all the 7x stabilizer bars that I will make.  Then he will sort and send the EU orders to 7bit.  Potentially, BiNiaRiS could send out orders that do not have switches.  Otherwise we have to wait for 7bit to order the switches, wait for delivery to him, and then have him sort and send all the switches for non EU orders to BiNiaRiS.  Then when BiNiaRiS receives the switches, he will need to sort them and pack all the parts and send them out.  I think it will be at least 2 months from now.

Also, I don't think Quickfire's case will fit.  The holes are at different places due partly to the removable cable and the cable gutters on the bottom case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQ83_4RdkA#t=1m5s

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1624 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 01:31:48 »
Coulds someone please tell me whether or not there are 2 extra switch spots on the PCB in the F row or not?

Offline litster

« Reply #1625 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 01:53:20 »
I am not sure what you are asking for.  Did you take a look at the PCB picture on the first post?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1626 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 01:57:34 »
Quote from: litster;536677
I am not sure what you are asking for.  Did you take a look at the PCB picture on the first post?
yes i did but am confused about the possible layout. my question is is the f row normal or can it be squished and add 2 keys? I think there is enough mounting holes to make it work but am un sure as i am the only one so far that has planned on using those.

Offline litster

« Reply #1627 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 02:31:51 »
It is still unclear to me exactly *where* on the F row you want to add extra keys.  By F row do you mean the ASDF row, or the Function key row?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1628 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 02:36:04 »
Quote from: litster;536693
It is still unclear to me exactly *where* on the F row you want to add extra keys.  By F row do you mean the ASDF row, or the Function key row?

The row with F1-12 i didnt use function because with my layout i have 2 Fn keys sorry.

Offline litster

« Reply #1629 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 02:37:53 »
OK, progress.  Now that we know which row you want to add two keys, where on that row do you want to add two keys?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1630 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 02:46:34 »
Quote from: litster;536701
OK, progress.  Now that we know which row you want to add two keys, where on that row do you want to add two keys?

Well in the row... I counted and there should be enough spaces on the PCB for them and i just looked at the plates and they are on the 7bit and also my modified one. So they are they like i though just had to confirm because lootbag though it wasnt possible for those keys.switches to be in the row.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #1631 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 03:00:10 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;536705
Well in the row... I counted and there should be enough spaces on the PCB for them and i just looked at the plates and they are on the 7bit and also my modified one. So they are they like i though just had to confirm because lootbag though it wasnt possible for those keys.switches to be in the row.

The PCB has room for essentially 14 F keys like on the 7bit layout. As long as your plate is cut to use those you can use them with no issues.

So:
ESC/F1-F14/Prt Sc/Scroll Lock/Pause
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline litster

« Reply #1632 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 03:01:24 »
I don't really know what you want your layout to be.  The thing to watch out for is that between F5 and F8, there are 9 switch positions, but you can only have 5 switches in that space physically and electronically.  You can also add one switch between Esc and F1.  I obviously have not actually tried this.  I just looked at the PCB picture.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1633 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 03:04:33 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;536709
The PCB has room for essentially 14 F keys like on the 7bit layout. As long as your plate is cut to use those you can use them with no issues.

So:
ESC/F1-F14/Prt Sc/Scroll Lock/Pause

that what i thought thanks

Quote from: litster;536711
I don't really know what you want your layout to be.  The thing to watch out for is that between F5 and F8, there are 9 switch positions, but you can only have 5 switches in that space physically and electronically.  You can also add one switch between Esc and F1.  I obviously have not actually tried this.  I just looked at the PCB picture.

I came to the same result and as for a layout ine would be the 7bit modified plate. im still working on the layout a bit but it almost down so i can get keycaps made by wasd in time for the phantom to be delivered.

Offline Changdrew

« Reply #1634 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 01:47:13 »
Not sure if this has been asked before, but will there be any extras available for purchase? I just need the PCB, the teensy, and the plate, although other materials would be cool too.
CM Quickfire Rapid | Filco Majestouch 2 | Filco Linear R | Poker

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #1635 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 04:14:40 »
Quote from: litster;536711

LOL!!!

To confirm: It is possible to have 15 function keys, but only the 7BIT mount plate is capable of this. All other mount plates have the mount positions shifted by 0.5 units for F5-F8.

It will not work out of the box, you have to wire some of the function switches to something in the bottom row to get them all work.

Quote from: Changdrew;542050
Not sure if this has been asked before, but will there be any extras available for purchase? I just need the PCB, the teensy, and the plate, although other materials would be cool too.

There are no Teensys left, only PCB and plates.

And switches!!!

Offline dirge

« Reply #1636 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 04:15:13 »
Chang I think a leftovers sale will happen. Does anyone know if the keycool case is compatible?
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #1637 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 04:19:35 »
Quote from: 7bit;542076
LOL!!!

To confirm: It is possible to have 15 function keys, but only the 7BIT mount plate is capable of this. All other mount plates have the mount positions shifted by 0.5 units for F5-F8.

It will not work out of the box, you have to wire some of the function switches to something in the bottom row to get them all work.

Hey! *grrr* I fixed that for ya! All switch locations are connected to the controller via PCB traces =D

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #1638 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 04:52:16 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;542078
Hey! *grrr* I fixed that for ya! All switch locations are connected to the controller via PCB traces =D

Thanks!!!!!!!!

I thought they are not working out of the box.

Offline litster

« Reply #1639 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 04:54:03 »
I am pretty sure I tested all switch locations on the PCB and they are all connected, including locations that I don't care about :-)

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #1640 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 07:04:47 »
Quote from: 7bit;452586
Quote from: PrinsValium;452580
... I added the extra switch locations to the function row that 7bit requested. Had to ditch the helper-holes for F5-F8 (who is going to hot swap their F-key stems anyway?). Did some icky rerouting and got all switches attached to the electrical wiring. So no jumper wires will be necessary (the logical matrix locations of the extra two keys are a bit off though).

I love you!

Quote from: 7bit;542084
Thanks!!!!!!!!

I thought they are not working out of the box.

Get your stuff together ;o) From the controller logics view they are located in the spacebar row, but they are hooked up to it.

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #1641 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 16:39:41 »
Quote from: 7bit;542076

There are no Teensys left, only PCB and plates.

And switches!!!

When the extras are available for purchase will they be available in a new thread or still this original thread?  I'm interested in a 7bit plate, PCB, maybe some switches.

Offline captain

« Reply #1642 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 17:58:36 »
I keep getting invoiced for bills I have already paid.  Who do I need to talk to in order to get this fixed?

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #1643 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 18:12:21 »
Quote from: captain;542673
I keep getting invoiced for bills I have already paid.  Who do I need to talk to in order to get this fixed?

Just ignore them

Offline Index

« Reply #1644 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 20:09:08 »
I would like 1 plate and pcb if possible. =)
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1645 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 21:41:03 »
Im glad i dont have to use wires for the 7bit. Is a working firmware going to be available right away?

Also has anyone gotten layer working in the firmware yet?

Offline litster

« Reply #1646 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 21:59:10 »
It should be very simple to change the table in the source code to build a firmware version for this layout.  It should be less than 5 minutes if I know what you want at each of your switch locations.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #1647 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 23:07:01 »
But knowing what I want under each switch is the hardest part!

I suspect I'll be happy starting with a "normal" Dvorak layout, then adding and changing things until I'm happy. The ease of teensy makes all of this possible.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #1648 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 01:53:53 »
It's very easy to add layers to the layout. It can probably be done in some smart way, but the straightforward way of just checking "is my modifier pressed" before selecting which keypresses to send is no problem to get working.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1649 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 01:57:07 »
i will make all the things configurable when i get my teensy and board and am able to test code

i suspect i can do mousekeys and usb nkro too, whoever was asking for it.