Author Topic: Favorite iPhone apps?  (Read 4310 times)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Favorite iPhone apps?
« on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 11:52:38 »
What do you use? Found anything new? I don't have, need or like to have a ton of apps but here are a few I like.

What I am digging right now:

Clear - nice gesture-based todo list with 'urgency' sorting from red to green.
http://www.realmacsoftware.com/clear/

BART BART - free BART map + schedule. I probably won't need this in a couple of months but I am fairly new to the Bay area so it's been extremely helpful. No ads either. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bart-bart/id434351286?mt=8

Instapaper - neat reading app, when combined with the Read It Later bookmarklet. http://www.instapaper.com/

GTA3 - the full game. I hate iPhone gaming because of the tactile screen but this **** is just rad. Brings back memories... http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/grand-theft-auto-3/id479662730?mt=8

Epic Tune - chromatic tuner. Very handy. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epic-chromatic-tuner/id425753430?mt=8
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:53:24 »
Dragonvale! Honestly, its kind of lame. But I mean, its a great game if you like going in once every few hours, getting cash, and breeding dragons. The thing that impresses me most is that they constantly update the game. Even today they just released a Clover dragon for St.Patricks day, and a few days ago it was the Leap Year dragon.
Oh, and the best part, if you don't mind being patient, free as free can be!

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 19:43:24 »
AV Controller for Yamaha:
From anywhere in the house or close by outside I can select any music on my iPhone and stream it to my stereo.  From the app I just select any song and not matter what is playing on the TV, the stereo changes to "network" and plays the music.  It also controls most functions of the Yamaha receiver.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/av-controller-us/id467496375?ls=1&mt=8

TiVo app:
Turns the iPhone into a Tivo remote.  I can control the TiVo from any room.  Select programs to play or record, change channels, see what shows are coming up on what stations.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tivo/id401673976?mt=8&ls=1

Netflix:  duh.  ;-)

Amazon Mobile
Newegg Mobile
Kindle App
The Night Sky v. 1.9.3 - Awesome!
Inception - The App - Freaky weird
Angry Birds - LOL
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 20:32:59 »
I was a big fan of Kevin Rose, so I've been using Oink more and more often. Other than that I use Gtasks, PlainText w/ a bluetooth keyboard hooked up, Evernote, Square, Dropbox, zaTelnet, Logmein, and Spotify.
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin

Offline anselben

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 02:48:35 »
I downloaded Waze navigation app recently and love it, definitely the best navigation app i've used so far.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 13:03:36 »
Quote from: ripster;546774
I will let you know when I get my iPad.

There are a couple of font packages I'm looking at.

Not this one - too nerdy.
[video=youtube;KdCIRy9ExkU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdCIRy9ExkU[/video]

More like this for production.
[video=youtube;vzecc6ud1Zw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzecc6ud1Zw&feature=related[/video]
Estrangelo Edessa

Let me know what you think when you do. I'm tempted to get a new iPad just to use as an extra display / VNC to my home machine while I'm at work.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Ursadon-n-Pals

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 03:33:54 »
I really like the app Sleep Cycle (it's an icon with an orange alarm clock). It uses the iPhone's built in accelerator to track your sleep cycles and it wakes you up at the top of your sleep cycle. I hate waking up and feeling like crap and this app has never failed me!

I also like TurboScan because it takes pictures that take up a lot less space than if I were to take them normally. Also if the picture is skewed I can fix it.

Lastly, I like imo because it integrates every iming client and doesn't have a lot of bugs.

Offline modulor

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 12:39:34 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 15:56:56 »
Quote from: Ursadon-n-Pals;547596
I really like the app Sleep Cycle (it's an icon with an orange alarm clock). It uses the iPhone's built in accelerator to track your sleep cycles and it wakes you up at the top of your sleep cycle. I hate waking up and feeling like crap and this app has never failed me!

I also like TurboScan because it takes pictures that take up a lot less space than if I were to take them normally. Also if the picture is skewed I can fix it.

Lastly, I like imo because it integrates every iming client and doesn't have a lot of bugs.

Does Sleep Cycle have to be active and alert sounds on for the alarm to work? I had to stop using 3rd party alarms because i'd forget to make the app active and then wound up waking up half an hour late for work.

I've been using sleepyti.me for bedtime calculations.

Offline nasus

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 17:14:01 »
Quote from: Ursadon-n-Pals;547596

Does that mean you have your iPhone strapped to you while you sleep?  Relying on rolling over seems like a pretty unreliable way to gague sleep stages.

You also probably meant accelerometer... a built in [particle] accelerator isn't supposed to be out until the iPhone 5.

Offline LegitAsBalls

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:00:36 »
I like Voxer, it's a walky talky app. A lot of fun with your friends and such, free too!

Offline noog

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:14:41 »
Did not know nanoloop got a iOS release. Thank you so much. Been out of the loop regarding chiptune tech. Dl'd lovely.

Offline whiskerBox

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:19:26 »
I really like Flipboard, its a pretty cool news app
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Mmmbacon

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:21:32 »
Instapaper - this should come preinstalled :-)
Alien Blue - great Reddit client
Melodies - A Google music player.
Stitcher - Great way to keep up with podcasts
Tapatalk - Finally a easy intuitive way to view forums on an iphone
Camera +  - Has some cool features
iMame - luckily got mame for the iphone when it was mistakenly released on the app store for a brief period.  Don't wanna jailbreak.
Various Mattel Handheld L.E.D. games by touch grove. Got em all (Football, Basketball, Soccer and Football 2)
Frotz - anything more retro-nerd than playing Zork or other Interactive Fiction on your iPhone?? It's pitch dark here, you're likely to be eaten by a grue.
Halftone - a fun little photo manipulation app.  Turn pictures into comic book panels. I wasnt expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.
Articles - A nice little Wikipedia frontend.
and yes im an ashamed Instagram ****....
But my most favorite app right now is Pinball Arcade.  Its amazing. If your a pinhead, you prolly already have it.  If you are remotely entertained by pinball do yourself a favor and check it out.  Taking licensed machines of the good ol days and recreating them nicely. Gonna release new tables over time. Currently Tales Of The Arabian Nights, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Black Hole and Theatre Of Magic. They just announced the first dlc, Medieval Madnes!

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:26:02 »
My phone is rooted so my two favorites are the cracked commercial+endless skip version of Pandora Radio, and Ad-block (blocks adds from all apps)

:D
I hate everything.

Offline andyhoang

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:51:47 »
Quote from: Mmmbacon;548477
Instapaper - this should come preinstalled :-)
Alien Blue - great Reddit client
Melodies - A Google music player.
Stitcher - Great way to keep up with podcasts
Tapatalk - Finally a easy intuitive way to view forums on an iphone
Camera +  - Has some cool features
iMame - luckily got mame for the iphone when it was mistakenly released on the app store for a brief period.  Don't wanna jailbreak.
Various Mattel Handheld L.E.D. games by touch grove. Got em all (Football, Basketball, Soccer and Football 2)
Frotz - anything more retro-nerd than playing Zork or other Interactive Fiction on your iPhone?? It's pitch dark here, you're likely to be eaten by a grue.
Halftone - a fun little photo manipulation app.  Turn pictures into comic book panels. I wasnt expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.
Articles - A nice little Wikipedia frontend.
and yes im an ashamed Instagram ****....
But my most favorite app right now is Pinball Arcade.  Its amazing. If your a pinhead, you prolly already have it.  If you are remotely entertained by pinball do yourself a favor and check it out.  Taking licensed machines of the good ol days and recreating them nicely. Gonna release new tables over time. Currently Tales Of The Arabian Nights, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Black Hole and Theatre Of Magic. They just announced the first dlc, Medieval Madnes!

Most of these.

Offline hardison25

Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 02:39:33 »
I am very much interested in using the various kind of app in my iPad. I have tried the lot of apps. In that, Very few apps are like very much. There are

1)Facebook
2)Twitter
3)iWedPlanner
4)Angry Birds
5)Mobile RSS
6)Mirrors Edge

The best app and useful app is to me is "iWedPlanner". I like iWedPlanner. It is a nice wedding app for organizing the wedding planning in an efficient way and within the budget. It has many features like seating arrangement, RSVP, resources, to-do list and more. You download this from Appstore and install it.

Offline codersean

• http://sean-long.com
Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 15:06:12 »
1) Casts - A very nice podcast app.
2) Sparrow - The first good third party email app, currently does not do push notifications, but so much better than the built-in app.
3) Tweetbot - A good solid Twitter app.
4) Reeder - An excellent feed reader, ties in nicely with Google Reader.
5) OmniFocus - A top notch todo/GTD app by a AAA development house, a bit pricey but worth it.
Work Rig-> Filco MJ2 TKL Cherry MX Browns

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 18:43:01 »
Quote from: ripster;554902
Welcome to Geekhack.  Are you like Fraaaaahnc in  Father of The Bride?

Funny ****.
Martin Short pulling off yet another impossibly well-done character you'd never want to actually meet.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
Re: Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 04:35:32 »
Tiny wings, wunderlist, VLC, Tiny Tower.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: Favorite iPhone apps?
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 04:58:06 »
Tiny wings, wunderlist, VLC, Tiny Tower.

Epic thread revive there over 13 months!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)