Author Topic: [SHIPPING] R3 Moogle Kits  (Read 220472 times)

Offline OddOne

Re: [SHIPPING] R3 Moogle Kits
« Reply #950 on: Sat, 04 August 2012, 15:46:02 »
My set came in today. Thanks hashbaz for running this GB.

Very excited for the dolch replica now too...
CM Quickfire Rapid   |   Rosewill RK-9000BR  |  CM Quickfire Rapid  |

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #951 on: Sat, 04 August 2012, 19:12:35 »
My sets came a couple days ago, thanks hashbaz!

Now I'm wishing I kept the dolch stuff on my order :(  Are there any extras?  (Dolch moogle + full mod preferably)

Offline shawn o

« Reply #952 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 22:38:57 »
Got my stuff over the weekend and it looks great other than the white Cherry spacebar. Its nearly PURE white. Can we have it redone or something?

Here's a pic of it next to a white spacebar from a pink Filco tenkeyless (the whitest caps Filco makes). Nearly identical. The R3 spacebar is on the bottom.

And original, brand new, never seen the light of day Cherry spacebar on top/left, R3 in the middle, and "regular" white Filco spacebar on the bottom/right.

And here is my white Filco keyboard with a complete NOS set of Cherry doubleshots, the R3 moogle kit, and R3 spacebar. Spacebar isn't even close. Stock Filco spacebar is a better match.

Can we have em remade and pay extra so the moogle kits don't go to waste?
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 August 2012, 00:54:03 by shawn o »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #953 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 22:42:41 »
Got my stuff over the weekend and it looks with other than the white Cherry spacebar. Its nearly PURE white. Can we have it redone or something?

Here's a pic of it next to a white spacebar from a pink Filco tenkeyless (the whitest caps Filco makes). Nearly identical. The R3 spacebar is on the bottom.

And original Cherry spacebar on top/left, R3 in the middle, and "regular" white Filco spacebar on the bottom/right.

And here is my white Filco keyboard with a complete NOS set of Cherry doubleshots, the R3 moogle kit, and R3 spacebar. Spacebar isn't even close. Stock Filco spacebar is a better match.

Can we have em remade and pay extra so the moogle kits don't go to waste?

You could use one of the extra spacebars you bought with the CCnG set. You did buy extra spacebars, right?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline shawn o

« Reply #954 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 00:56:20 »
No, I did not buy CCnG at all. I'd prefer we got the correct spacebar to match the moogle kits.

Offline silat

« Reply #955 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 03:24:13 »
Could someone post a pic of each kit on a keyboard?
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline nntnam

« Reply #956 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 07:51:48 »
Sent you a pm, hashbaz :).
░▒▓ KMAC | FILCO MJ2 | HHKB | PHANTOM ▓▒░

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #957 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 14:06:59 »
Here's a pic of it next to a white spacebar from a pink Filco tenkeyless (the whitest caps Filco makes)

…which isn’t that white.

Could someone post a pic of each kit on a keyboard?

I’ll post a pic with 100% unyellowed since it’s PBT Cherry dye subs as soon as I get my moogles. Which could still take a month. :D

Offline njvz

« Reply #958 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 15:12:46 »
Got mine! Thanks hashbaz for rocking the free world. Now if only I could stop forgetting them at my lady's place and get them onto my new board.
Boards: Noppoo Choc Mini | Leopold TKL | KBTalking Pure | Rosewill RK-9000 | IBM model M | Filco Ninja Majestouch FS
Filco Ninja Majestouch FS

Offline shawn o

« Reply #959 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 17:50:34 »
Pic of mine above is 100% unyellowed.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #960 on: Mon, 06 August 2012, 18:35:29 »

I’ll post a pic with 100% unyellowed since it’s PBT Cherry dye subs as soon as I get my moogles. Which could still take a month. :D
The spacebar is markedly whiter than even cherry PBT. CCnG space is one of the closest matches out of recent GBs.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #961 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 00:20:31 »
The white space bars are not a production mistake, they are the same color as the last round of moogle kits.  I stuck with all the same colors, which in retrospect was obviously a mistake.

Future rounds should definitely use a different white and include the option to buy just the space bar to make the current round of kits a better match.  We could also do a dedicated spacebar replacement group buy.

"Light gray" space bars from WASD are also a pretty good match for white Cherry keys.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #962 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 00:32:31 »
Got my sets today, thanks hash =)

Offline kpeezy

« Reply #963 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 11:57:20 »
Got mine on Monday.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #964 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 11:57:46 »
Got mine too! Thanks Hash!

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #965 on: Tue, 07 August 2012, 12:10:36 »
Pictures guys! ^o^

Offline Magna224

« Reply #966 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 01:23:41 »
I guess I got mine a while ago. I went over to my parents house today and found them on the floor. Everythings perfect but the spacebar. Thanks hashbaz!
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #967 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 01:47:56 »
I don't think I have as much of an issue with the white spacebar as most people, but then again maybe I'm color blind or something....

Offline pitashen

« Reply #968 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 09:50:56 »

"Light gray" space bars from WASD are also a pretty good match for white Cherry keys.

+1

Have been using the light gray space bar from  WASD for months with the white cherry set. Highly recommended for those who think the included space bar being too white. The key profile is a bit different but nothing too apparent and the color blends pretty well.

That being said... I even ordered an extra space bar... now they are all gonna be collecting dusts... lol
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 August 2012, 10:04:57 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline 2084

« Reply #969 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 12:42:09 »
Did we want to have the Windows logo and context menu key to be off-center? I don't remember anymore.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #970 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 12:48:09 »
The Win and Menu keys have the standard SP legends. FWIW I like that they are off-center.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #971 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 03:02:13 »
Yeah I also like the left-justified-ness.  If you center them it looks weird and out-of-place since all the other caps are left-justified (i.e. Win8 key on Rag set)

Offline 2084

« Reply #972 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 07:11:26 »
Mine have already arrived in Germany - thanks for organizing, hashbaz!
One issue, the left Shift doesn't have enough space in my Filco case. It gets stuck when I press it down - might be the only one with that problem.
But I got original shift keys anyway, so it's not too bad.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 August 2012, 10:35:46 by 2084 »

Offline rindorbrot

AW: [SHIPPING] R3 Moogle Kits
« Reply #973 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 07:13:20 »
Thats a common issue with SP left shifts and Filco.

Did you have priority shipping?

Offline 2084

« Reply #974 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 07:27:50 »
No regular shipping.

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #975 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 07:36:00 »
Cool
Then I hope for a package awaiting for me at home

Offline zirb

« Reply #976 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 09:05:28 »
yeah mine got shipped the same date as 2084s and yours... maybe we're lucky! :)

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #977 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 10:01:14 »
Received mine today as well (Denmark). Thanks !
I like cats.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
« Reply #978 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 10:03:54 »
Mine have already arrived in Germany - thanks for organizing hashbaz!
One issue, the left Shift doesn't have enough space in my Filco case. It gets stuck when I press it down - might be the only one with that problem.
But I got original shift keys anyway, so it's not too bad.

In some instances this may happen, though that's never happened to any of my 4 Filcos and all the misc. SP shift keycaps I have.  However, I've heard of some members using a lighter file to shave off some of the side of the keycap.  This should give you proper fitting, and if you don't shave it like a caveman, there shouldn't be any noticeable marks while the keycap is on the keyboard.

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #979 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 10:24:33 »
No keycaps were waiting for me :(
Let's hope for tomorrow!

Offline Slavfot

« Reply #980 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 11:01:10 »
I just got my set :)
I'll post some pics in a few hours when I'm home.

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #981 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 12:38:53 »
Received my set two days ago. Thanks yet again hashbaz!

I also don't really like the spacebar colour, but for those of you who bought one or two and complain:
1780-0

Hardcore! >:D

The spacebars match quite alright with my pure white Filco set though, so I'll put them to good use anyway. (And no shiny spacebars on my pink Filco for a while!)

Offline zirb

« Reply #982 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 13:17:17 »
No keycaps were waiting for me :(
Let's hope for tomorrow!

dude, you'll get them tomorrow! mine arrived like 2084s

Offline kpeezy

« Reply #983 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 09:22:45 »
So, the profile for these shift keys are completely different from my single original Cherry shift key. Also, it's completely different from the profile of my bottom row of letters. Anyone know why this is?

Also, the font isn't as thick on this moogle set as my original Cherry keys. Very noticeable to me comparing my tab and new moogle capslock key.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 August 2012, 09:24:31 by kpeezy »

Offline 2084

« Reply #984 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 09:29:22 »
The profile is correct on my set. I agree on the noticable difference on legends and color (due to different type of plastics and yellowing?), in hindsight I should have bought a full modifier kit  :(

Offline kpeezy

« Reply #985 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 09:35:19 »
Yeah, I'm wondering which model keyboard my doubleshots came from, anyone know of DS sets with a different profile? :( The Moogle shift key has more angle to it and is overall a little taller than my Cherry set.

Offline rindorbrot

« Reply #986 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 09:38:53 »
Mine arrived today, too.

They look pretty good.

Only the Spacebar is a little off, but we know that by now.

I attached a picture with a comparison between the Moogle, Cherry Grey PBT and the original Cherry white Spacebar.

And also a picture of the kit on my Keyboard (with the PBT Spacebar)

Offline 2084

« Reply #987 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 09:40:38 »
Actually you're right, I just checked mine again, and the SP seem to be angled up higher. But not noticable for me when in place on the keyboard.

Offline mosrael

« Reply #988 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 09:48:08 »
Got mine a while ago- they look great besides the oft-mentioned spacebar which I don't really care that much about. Thanks a lot!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: [SHIPPING] R3 Moogle Kits
« Reply #989 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 11:20:20 »
So, the profile for these shift keys are completely different from my single original Cherry shift key. Also, it's completely different from the profile of my bottom row of letters. Anyone know why this is?

Also, the font isn't as thick on this moogle set as my original Cherry keys. Very noticeable to me comparing my tab and new moogle capslock key.

SP keys have a different profile than Cherry keys.  There's nothing we can do about it short of having entirely new molds made.  This has been discussed ad nauseum and would require thousands of dollars and expertise we don't really have.

The font is the result of several iterations of Cherry replica group buys.  It's not perfect, but it's much better than the last round of moogle kits.

Offline kpeezy

« Reply #990 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 12:27:56 »

SP keys have a different profile than Cherry keys.  There's nothing we can do about it short of having entirely new molds made.  This has been discussed ad nauseum and would require thousands of dollars and expertise we don't really have.

The font is the result of several iterations of Cherry replica group buys.  It's not perfect, but it's much better than the last round of moogle kits.

Welp, didn't see THAT info in the OP.

Seriously, I'm very surprised that DS orders are for a different key profile than the doubleshots you're trying to replicate. This is my first group buy that wasn't an escape key or something, and I'm pretty disappointed. This was very misleading, not sure how this isn't made more clear on group buys.

I'm not that worried about the font, but the profile mixup sucks big time.

From the first page - "To fix this, we make moogle kits, which replace the incompatible keys and allow you to use Cherry sets on your Filcos, Leopolds, Rosewills, Duckies, etc.  This image from ripster's wiki shows his keyboard with blanks in place of the incompatible keys.  A moogle kit replaces those blanks with keys made by SP that have custom legends designed to match the Cherry legends as closely as possible.  Cherry sets come in black and white.  Dolch computers also came with keycaps made by Cherry in a grey and dark grey color scheme."

As closely as possible! Except for a completely different key profile.

Offline kpeezy

« Reply #991 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 12:33:34 »

Well, somehow I lost my entire post just now but yeah, very disappointed this wasn't explicitly mentioned anywhere in the thread of the linked threads from the OP.

From the first page - "To fix this, we make moogle kits, which replace the incompatible keys and allow you to use Cherry sets on your Filcos, Leopolds, Rosewills, Duckies, etc.  This image from ripster's wiki shows his keyboard with blanks in place of the incompatible keys.  A moogle kit replaces those blanks with keys made by SP that have custom legends designed to match the Cherry legends as closely as possible.  Cherry sets come in black and white.  Dolch computers also came with keycaps made by Cherry in a grey and dark grey color scheme."

VERY misleading. This was my first group buy that wasn't just for an escape key and this was ****. I'm not too upset by the legends (disregarding the hyperbole surrounding how accurate they are) I can't believe the keys use a completely different profile but the OP doesn't mention it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
[SHIPPING] R3 Moogle Kits
« Reply #992 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 12:49:58 »
Not sure exactly how you were misled. SP's DCS profile is the closest we can get to the original Cherry Corp key profile. Much closer than OEM keys are. If you feel that strongly about your dissatisfaction with them, I'll buy your moogles from you at cost.

I think you did a great job on these, hashbaz!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline limmy

« Reply #993 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 12:52:48 »
If you are not happy with the kit, you can always sell it without loosing any money.

I am interested in buying. Please PM me if anyone is interested in selling.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #994 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 13:05:23 »
yah, sell them or deal with it since that's the closest you'll get to a full winkey kit unless you are lucky enough to find a cherry board with 1.25 center stem windows row and center stem full capslock
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #995 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 13:37:54 »

Well, somehow I lost my entire post just now but yeah, very disappointed this wasn't explicitly mentioned anywhere in the thread of the linked threads from the OP.

VERY misleading. This was my first group buy that wasn't just for an escape key and this was ****. I'm not too upset by the legends (disregarding the hyperbole surrounding how accurate they are) I can't believe the keys use a completely different profile but the OP doesn't mention it.

lurk moar. you were not misled by anybody -- don't blame others for your ignorance.

sorry you didn't get what you wanted,  but that's nobody elses' fault.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline kpeezy

« Reply #996 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 13:50:03 »
lol you guys. It's a simple thing to mention somewhere in the OP. I understand this isn't a very pro consumer world we live in but how simple is it to throw that statement in the OP for newer members, considering it's a major difference between these and the sets being 'replicated'.

Hashbaz did fine in all other aspects of this GB, I'm just shocked this wasn't mentioned and/or stickied in the group buys subforum.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 August 2012, 14:41:10 by kpeezy »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #997 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 15:44:58 »
Kpeezy you are new here. It is common knowledge that SP keys are not the same profile as Cherry keys (or Filco keys or any other keys).  It is a limitation common to all group buys.

I'm sorry you weren't aware of it.  You can sell you keys if you're not happy with them.

Offline captain

« Reply #998 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 16:51:17 »
kpeezy has a good point.  So does everyone else, and kudos to hashbaz for a GB well done!  Any time a GB is replicating something, it should be made as clear as possible what the pros and cons are of the buy, and all important info should be included in the OP (original post--see, not everyone knows even the shorthand we use  ;-). 

I still don't have my moogles, but the pictures look great!  I'm sure I'll be happy with them when they arrive.  Of course, I'm an old fart around here now, and I knew what I was getting into... probably.  ;-P

Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline kpeezy

« Reply #999 on: Fri, 10 August 2012, 17:04:58 »
I am happy with the quality of the keys and the bottom row alone was easily worth the price to me. I know the profile on the bottom row is the same SP profile but at least the row is uniform.