Author Topic: Favorite Pen  (Read 22304 times)

Offline retsteel

• Hmmm... I guess I'm here again.
Favorite Pen
« on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 10:41:09 »
I think that there is not a person here that is not extremely conscious of the keyboard they use. A keyboard is used for writing things, I was wondering if people here also had strong feelings about pens. I personal care a great deal about the pen I am using and cant stand using crappy ones.

My favorite pens are the pilot varsity, I love the disposable fountain pen, the pilot G2(say what you will, it is a great pen) and the unibal vision elite.
I usually carry around two pilot G2's, on .5, one .7, One or two Varsity's, A unibal of varying make, and a good ol' fashioned Sharpie twin tip. I also make a point to have a mechanical pencil, I am not a terribly huge fan of them, but until I get some caps for regular pencils they will have to do. I don't really have a favorite but the one that I find most tolerable is the Papermate sharpwriter.

so there you have it, what do you like and what do you use?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Favorite Pen
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 12:16:45 »
My friend who is really into fountain pens gave me a varsity with bulletproof ink and ever since Varsity's are all I use. Great cheap pen... Someday I'll get a Rotring 600 or Levenger L-Tech :/

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Favorite Pen
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 12:34:00 »
Montblanc ballpoint pen.. I have the fountain one somewhere.. just couldn't find it. ><

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46945[/ATTACH]
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline metafour

Favorite Pen
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 12:39:57 »
The 207 has never been consistent for me. Too often it doesn't put down a line at all. Not sure if it's because of how dry it is here. As a result I use either the uni-ball vision elite or rt.

I seem to have a similar problem with Rotring and Lamy fountain pens as well. =\

Pentel graph 1000 pros are my favorite mechanical pencil. I have the .3, .4 and a couple .5.

Jetpens can be just as dangerous for your wallet as GH.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2012, 12:43:04 by metafour »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Favorite Pen
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 13:20:26 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:00:26 by davkol »

Offline itlnstln

Favorite Pen
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 13:25:01 »
What's a pen?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Favorite Pen
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 13:25:35 »
I used to like G2s until I started using a Fisher Space Pen. Nothing else really compares for a durable not-at-my-desk-all-the-time pen, and it fits in pants' coin pockets.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
Favorite Pen
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 13:31:51 »
This thread will be very dangerous...

I would love to go on and on regarding pens and such, but I don't have time right now. So I will keep this initially short.

I am with metafour above!
Jetpens FTMFW! =D    Wallet drainer all the way! LOL
I am an illustrator too, so it can be very, very dangerous.

I too find uniball's 207 a bit inconsistent (especially the smaller tip sizes) I also have problems with them being a bit too inky at times. You can push around the puddle here and there and the ink is really smeary and  takes too long to dry. I find them a bit smoother than the G-2 but I like the G-2 much more. Especially the .038 in blue, black, and red. I use them exclusively at work but if you are rough you can easily accidently burnish the tips.

If I could get the Hi-Tec-C's and/or American G's versions for work I would do that instead as I am in love with those pens in .25, .3, and .4.
Instead though I just use them occasionally at work and alot at home/personal work.

I write really, really, really small if you couldn't tell. My upset coworkers would probably say, really, really, really, really small. LOL

As far as mechanical pencils go... oh boy... I so don't have time for that right now, haahaaa.
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
Favorite Pen
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 13:53:38 »
I love "pilot frixion" Erasable!!   [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46946[/ATTACH]

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Favorite Pen
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 13:58:26 »
Quote from: reaper;564712
Montblanc ballpoint pen.. I have the fountain one somewhere.. just couldn't find it. ><
Good taste in pens :thumb:

I don't use ballpoints though only roller balls and fountain, here is my 2 go to pens

My 1985 Montblanc 149 M flex nib
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46947[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46948[/ATTACH]

Montblanc 149 75th anniversary limited edition F nib, I need this for when I write small
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46949[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46950[/ATTACH]

My everyday setup
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46951[/ATTACH]

Collecting Montblanc is 10000x worst to the wallet then GH haha
Keyboardless

Offline emptythecache

• out.
Favorite Pen
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 13:58:28 »
This is the correct pen. http://www.zebrapen.com/products/pen/f-301?c=30

(I too HATE handwriting now though. I'm way too out of practice, as I spend 90% of my waking life in front of a computer.)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Favorite Pen
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 14:03:20 »
99% of my writing is my signature.  It's pretty fugly.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Favorite Pen
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 14:48:08 »
LoL, after I typed all that I forgot to add one of my favorite pens! One that I was just using before I type that up! haahaa

The SKB SB-1000 0.5   <----- I love this pen! One of the best for illustration and small writing, especially on some really fine paper like the
Rhodia line of papers. Wonderful character and control with a smooth feathering of the line for shading and implied lines and detail work. It makes me so happy! The 0.7 is good too but I have a special place in my heart for the 0.5, it's just amazing for a ballpoint and DIRT CHEAP!
I buy em buy the boxes.  =D

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
Favorite Pen
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 14:56:45 »
One of my favorite pens is the Pilot P-700 it is incredibly smooth and has some of the best color in my opinion. And for basic consistency and everyday use I would have to say the BIC ATLANTIS, incredibly smooth, and I tend to lose my utensils alot, so I try to not get attached to them. I used to collect them like crazy in my grade school days with my friends, but it quickly turned into a game of who was the best at taking each others' pens and never giving them back.....
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline pyro

Favorite Pen
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 15:52:39 »
Lamy Safari Umbra (Ballpoint Pen)
Writes smoothly, produces a fairly thin line and refills last forever.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46955[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 April 2012, 17:01:54 by pyro »

Offline BigDov

Favorite Pen
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 16:12:43 »
A cheapy but one that I love for how awesome it writes, how smooth it is, and how fine the fine point really is...... the Zebra F-301. I love it long time.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46956[/ATTACH]
ergodox w/ MX Blues & Granite R4 + grifiti wrist rests || CM Storm QFR w/ Reds & black PBT laser-etched caps

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Favorite Pen
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 16:16:20 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:01:00 by davkol »

Offline lorem3k

• http://twitter.com/#!/lorem3k
Favorite Pen
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 20:56:57 »
I'm not really into pens, but I love the Staedtler 780C leadholder. It's only meant for drafting, but I use it for everything. It combines the convenience of a mechanical pencil with the proper lead of a "regular" pencil (2mm, none of this 0.5 bollocks). The lead advancing cap also has a built-in sharpener. I just wish I could find some HB leads, I've only found 2H.
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Favorite Pen
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 21:15:35 »
Quote from: lorem3k;565184
I'm not really into pens, but I love the Staedtler 780C leadholder. It's only meant for drafting, but I use it for everything. It combines the convenience of a mechanical pencil with the proper lead of a "regular" pencil (2mm, none of this 0.5 bollocks). The lead advancing cap also has a built-in sharpener. I just wish I could find some HB leads, I've only found 2H.

I love using leadholders and drafting pencils especialy the larger ones, it gets me too loosen up after working on intricate works. Brings back my flow. =)
If you think 0.5 is bollocks you will think my constantly sharpened 0.2 lead is ludicrous! haahaa
Anywho regarding your 2mm lead, check out jetpens.com, they have decent variety with that size too. I know you can get it most everywhere else but honestly I kinda like endorsing them so I'm given them a shout out. And that is where I pick up that sized lead if my local stores are out.

-cc   =)

Offline lorem3k

Favorite Pen
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 21:32:18 »
0.2mm?! Does you write with that by holding it above the paper and blowing lightly on the lead to break off small pieces onto the page? Hehehe.

I'll check out jetpens for the leads, they don't have them locally anywhere up here in Canada. I might just have to order a couple Rotring 600s while I'm there, just to try em out... one 0.7 and one 2.0 :juggle:
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Favorite Pen
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 21:55:19 »
LoL, no, but I should try that technique sometime. =D
I have a very light touch when writing and drawing and I was a big enough nerd/geek to have it measured. We came up with a digital pressure and travel meter for my writing style years ago to find out how to better my use of digital tablets (e.g. Cintiq and standard tablets) and found that I was having problems because I motion between <1g to around 5g of force when writing. The tablets at the time only registerd at around 10gs of force (give or take 1g). Now some tablets can register at 1g but I can still write without it showing up. I have adapted but there was a small learning curve involved.

Good luck on getting your leads and Rotring's. I really like my Rotring mechanicals, I tend to like lighter pencils and pens but those are great none the less.

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
Favorite Pen
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 22:01:20 »
Do jetpen ship worldwide?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Favorite Pen
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 22:19:52 »
Damnit, I don't even USE writing implements and I blew 15 minutes at jetpen.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Favorite Pen
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 22:21:38 »
Quote from: alaricljs;565251

done that many times
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
Favorite Pen
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 22:24:59 »
Quote from: net2522;565233
Do jetpen ship worldwide?
Yes  =)

Quote from: alaricljs;565251
and it begins...   XD
Feel lucky that's all you blew.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Favorite Pen
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 22:51:24 »
Favorite pen for me is the Pilot G2 1.0. I like the bold line, and it writes on many types of paper (even coated papers) consistently. For fine work, I prefer the Zebra F-402. 3rd choice would be a medium point Parker. Oh, and only black ink for me, please.

You know you can modify the standard Mont Blanc rollerball refills to fit in a Pilot G2 body, right? Then no one will steal your fine writing instrument. :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2012, 23:40:35 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Favorite Pen
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 23:13:07 »
Who's got the hookup on cheap Rotring 600s :p ???

Levenger bought their tooling to make the L-Tech yeah? I've seen rumors of those selling dirt cheap

Offline retsteel

• Hmmm... I guess I'm here again.
Favorite Pen
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 23:16:07 »
Quote from: jdcarpe;565284
Then no one will steal your fine writing instrument. :D

well that and it is a lot cheaper, I don't know about the rest of you with your crazy keyboard budgets but I cannot afford to drop that kind of money on a pen. do you know which refill is the one to use? I have wanted to try this for a while but I did not know which one to buy.

Offline vyshane

Favorite Pen
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 23:35:53 »
Lamy 2000. Designed in 1966, still looks as fresh as ever. Functional, understated.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47001[/ATTACH]

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
Favorite Pen
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 23:37:30 »
Jetpens....just rob me!!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Favorite Pen
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 23:37:49 »
It is the standard Mont Blanc rollerball refill. You just have to cut the top where the ridge is with a razor or similar. Leave about 0.5mm of plastic above that ridge and it should be a perfect fit.

Here is the link:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Save-$200-in-2-minutes-and-have-the-worlds-best-wr/
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 April 2012, 15:33:32 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkeeley

Favorite Pen
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 01:37:49 »
I've a Rotring 600 (really heavy for a pen) and a Rotring Core fountain pen, haven't used them for ages though as I write less and less, just use gel these days.

Just saw how much the 600's are going for these days!
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 April 2012, 01:40:13 by mkeeley »
Marc

Offline All The Fire

Favorite Pen
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 03:31:47 »
I got this mechanical pencil for my tech drawing class in year 10 (8 years ago), it's still my favourite, the leads are starting to fall straight through it though, I either got some different leads last time or it could be time to upgrade. I go through pens a bit, still looking for one I really like, this one is not the best looking pen but it has a really nice ink for a cheap ballpoint, I like the gel inks but I find them all ugly and fat, I like my pens straight, neat, not too fat. The Pilot Better Retractables are nice too.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47050[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 April 2012, 03:35:21 by All The Fire »

Offline Maarten

Favorite Pen
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 04:01:18 »
I LOVE PENS! In fact i love anything to put language on.... stuff ;)

My personal fav;
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47051[/ATTACH]
Nothing writes like a St Dupont (but a Mont Blanc comes in at a very close second). Ive tried all brands and budgets but this is the one i kept picking up so it travels with me at all times together with a simple SS parker Jotter to lend out to people (and scribble with when i dont feel like writing fountain).

When im not able to bring a fountain pen (aka flying and such) and i HAVE to use a ballpoint i grab this one;
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47052[/ATTACH]
For a simple reason; If the pen isn't very comfy to use and doesn't write pretty it better do something else that is useful (in this case measure stuff).

I also love to carry this one in my boot as a little backup;
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47053[/ATTACH]
If i dont feel likee writing at least i can stab people with it :rofl:

Next up is my mechanical;
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47054[/ATTACH]
Gets the job done...... plenty nice

And last but not least for making stuff black;
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47055[/ATTACH]
dandy.

Btw, the backdrop is this little puppy;
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47056[/ATTACH]
Very like a pen it might be slightly 'outdated' in these modern time but i just love working with it.....

Offline Gawkbasher

Favorite Pen
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 04:30:20 »
I've used nigh on every damned "respectable" pen there is and I keep find myself coming back to the Pilot G-2 05.  Forget the ergonomics for a second -- when it comes to pen, nothing makes me happier writing on Moleskine.  Other than that, I like the Staedtler pigment liners.  The 0.4 for writing.

To be completely honest though, I'm not much for pens and much prefer pencils whether it's writing, drawing or drafting...and then it comes down to either Blackwing/Blackwing 602s or Tombo MONOs.  As far as mechanical pencils, I use a Pentel CLICK 0.5 for my bedside notebook for late night ideas when I don't have want to worry about breaking nice pencils or points...can't say I've found a mechanical pencil I like much otherwise though (other than the usually hard to find Uni Kuru Toga HG...but even that one needs a lotta work.  It's more diamond-infused leads I like than the pencil itself).
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 April 2012, 06:08:57 by Gawkbasher »
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Favorite Pen
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 05:00:16 »
Hi tec c's are the way to go for pens the are 100% the best pen out the in my opinion at the moment. As for pencils the 600 has been at my side for a couple monthes now and im loveing it.

Offline All The Fire

Favorite Pen
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 06:51:24 »
Just wasted a whole night at jetpens. And now I've just got myself a Zebra Sharbo X LT3. :S

Pretty excited for it though.

Offline dirge

Favorite Pen
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 07:53:45 »
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Human

Favorite Pen
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 08:08:13 »
My favorite here. Basically, I can't even write using other pens...

At first I started with the C4(0.4mm), then move on to 0.25(and it is like dafuq? very sharp and almost can cut paper) and lastly settle down with the C3, 0.3mm.

Offline itlnstln

Favorite Pen
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 08:12:54 »
In college, I took notes with a Pentel Techniclick.  It was by far my most favorite pencil; I don't really like writing in pen.

Offline 500_pts

Favorite Pen
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 08:56:52 »
I own one fisher space pen.

It has not left my pocket for probably 7 years.

It is beaten, it is worn, but it is more reliable than any other pen i have ever owned.

We have been through thick and thin together, and I hope we continue to have a great relationship.

REALFORCE 86u | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL| Filco TKL | Leopold TKL | KBT Race

Offline Gawkbasher

Favorite Pen
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 10:53:32 »
Quote from: Maarten;565456
I LOVE PENS!

When fast-scrolling using the mousewheel, it's really easy to read this as something else entirely.  :whistle:
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline itlnstln

Favorite Pen
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 10:55:11 »
Quote from: Gawkbasher;565644
When fast-scrolling using the mousewheel, it's really easy to read this as something else entirely.  :whistle:

Ha! Nice.

Offline Maarten

Favorite Pen
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 11:01:59 »
Quote from: Gawkbasher;565644

Oh im dislex... dislec... i mix up letters and stuff so no matter what you guys type it always cracks me up like crazy!!

Offline lorem3k

Favorite Pen
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 18:15:23 »
Quote from: 500_pts;565559
It has not left my pocket for probably 7 years.
How do you write with it in your pocket?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Favorite Pen
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 18:40:09 »
He's so ninja that he just thinks about the words and they appear on paper.  The Fisher space pen is just to weight the pocket properly.

in memoriam

Offline metafour

Favorite Pen
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 19:05:24 »
Quote from: dirge;565534
http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-ball-Kuru-Toga-Auto-Lead-Rotation-Mechanical-Pencil-0.5-mm-Orange-Body/pd/3222

That's what I use to scrawl notes in meetings.

I have one of these as well. I was intrigued by the mechanism but I find the little bit of movement that happens when you press the lead to paper annoying sometimes.

Thanks to clickclack I now have to order some of the SKB ballpoints. ;)

Offline lorem3k

Favorite Pen
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 03 April 2012, 23:40:06 »
Anyone know another good place to buy a Rotring 500 or 600 than Jetpens? I'm looking at their shipping right now, and if I don't want to wait at least 45 days, it's an extra $31.00.

How about the Rotring Rapid Pro? It has a rotating lead mechanism, and I found a place that'll ship it for a reasonable price in 5-10 business days.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
Favorite Pen
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 09:03:28 »
Uni-ball Alpha Gel Slim Mechanical Pencil - 0.5 mm - Turquoise Blue Body - White Grip, Uni-ball Alpha Gel Slim Mechanical Pencil - 0.5 mm - Black Blue Body - White Grip............on the way....dammit
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline captain

Favorite Pen
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 10:30:24 »
Alcatraz!  Oh?...  Huh?....  Never mind. ;-P
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.