Author Topic: black on white/beige double shots?  (Read 8321 times)

Offline OddOne

black on white/beige double shots?
« on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 22:07:00 »
Is there any source for black on white or beige double shot 87 key cap set other than old Cherry Corp double shot keyboards?  Was there ever a group buy for such a thing here?  I've seen a couple threads in the classifieds recently with people looking for Cherry Corp versions unsuccessful.  So, if there is no other source, I guess I need to just keep my eyes on eBay and hope I get lucky?

Thanks for any help in advance!
CM Quickfire Rapid   |   Rosewill RK-9000BR  |  CM Quickfire Rapid  |

Offline shawn o

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 22:12:08 »
Nope.

No group buys yet since they are out there....somewhere. And the company that does make keycaps can't replicate the font used on old cherry keycaps w/o huge fees (being worked on now actually).

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 22:18:32 »
Which besides Cherry are massively superior to SP anyway. Cherry white keys are not that hard to find, except for a select few keys for modern boards. Easy to find everything if you go white on black though. There has been a fairly steady stream of 8113 on ebay in actual ansi lately. Alternately you could use black modifiers with white alphas which also looks very classy.

Offline OddOne

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 22:26:38 »
Thanks for the replies shawn o & lysol.  Though not exactly what I wanted to hear.

The block modifiers do look pretty sharp.  I have a set of RGBY coming from mbc's group buy though, so at least the bottom row isn't too much of a concern.  I have also figure there are enough moogle kits around I could find someone willing to part with his.

I guess for now I'll keep my eyes on the replica font thread while continuing the search for the real thing...
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2012, 22:31:56 by OddOne »

Offline shawn o

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 22:41:29 »
I have been watching ebay  for 6 months and have yet to find a single black on white Cherry keyboard with doubleshots.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 22:42:59 »
There is a filthy Cherry 2100HDU on ebay in white, though it isn't really that ideal for key harvesting due to the layout. Also you might go for one of the wyse / reynolds / link / etc terminal boards. Though most Wyse have navy on white some do have black on white. Sometimes they are very cheap, but usually you can get one for under $40 and they are very easy to find. Like this one.

Edit: best deal currently: Desko keyboard if you don't mind the trackpoint cutout on ghb keys.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2012, 22:53:02 by lysol »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 00:15:39 »
There is also Ascaii's sale on DT.  He will have more available at some point, I believe.

Offline OddOne

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 06:12:15 »
Thanks lysol and hashbaz. Good info from both of you.  Still new to this and I'd never heard of a Reynolds, Link, or Desko.  I'll keep my eyes on that GB too. Thanks!

I'll try to post my results if I end up grabbing something.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 17:20:18 »
SP has made these before for other/real customers as some people got them in the SP crap bags a few months back. Both their normal font upper-left txt and the big ass centered font versions. So far though of these i've only seen the alpha, number row, Function row, & number pad keys in the crap bags. No modifiers...
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 09:39:46 »
Ascaii's list shows so many keys spoken for but unpaid. Are those just reserved lists and he invoices as he breaks each keyboard down?

I want a set as well.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 09:47:38 »
yes. ascaii's super busy and hasn't been able to pull most of the caps yet. he doesn't invoice until he's actually ready to ship

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline OddOne

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 10:36:21 »
I've spent some time on eBay and have found that there are boards out there with the black on white keys.  Unfortunately most are not ANSI.  So, my question is, how close is the Moogle kit white to the original Cherry white?  If I was to get an ISO board, will the pipe/back slash key from the Moogle kit match?  Basically, should I bother with an ISO board, or narrow my searching down to ANSI?

Thanks!

Quote from: ripster;595813
ProTip.

SGI keys FTW!

Hmmm, thanks ripster.  With a quick google image search, I'm seeing more ANSI than ISO for SGI boards.  I'll add SGI to my list of possible donors.

Offline shawn o

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 12:49:02 »
Never seen a Silicon Graphics keyboard with Cherry MX switches. Do they even exist? I thought they were Alps?

What about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicon-Graphics-Keyboard-Model-021-0800-001-Serial-/110867716032?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item19d03b17c0

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 12:55:23 »
No, SGI is alps (Granite) or domes. There might be some model that does have MX compatible keycaps on some domes board but I don't know which.

Offline shawn o

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 15:52:28 »
Thought so.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 18:16:19 »
Quote from: OddOne;595860
So, my question is, how close is the Moogle kit white to the original Cherry white?  If I was to get an ISO board, will the pipe/back slash key from the Moogle kit match?  Basically, should I bother with an ISO board, or narrow my searching down to ANSI?

Close, but not perfect.  Also, the profile will be subtly different.  Repaer has a good picture of moogle keys on a Poker that shows off the difference ... I'll post it if I can find it.  If it was me, I would wait for Ascaii.

edit: Here they are, along with one from ripster.  Note that the legends for moogle3 will be thinner and closer to the Cherry font than these images, which are from moogle2.

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 May 2012, 18:19:09 by hashbaz »

Offline modulor

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 15:41:53 »
I was fortunate to find a full ANSI set of black on white/beige from a 1800 recently on Ebay...then again, I've been combing there for a few months now.  I'd say just keep a sharp eye out there and on the classifieds here.  Apparently in Europe, they grow on trees. :biggrin1:

Offline shawn o

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 20:29:30 »
One on US ebay right now (G81).

Offline OddOne

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 22:17:50 »
Quote from: shawn o;610063
One on US ebay right now (G81).

Shhh!  Let's keep that between us... haha.

While waiting for the black-on-whites to come along, I picked up some Wsye key caps as can be seen here.  The caps are in great shape but I think they would look nicer on my Rosewill (if I can find a Wyse moogle kit).  Ultimately I still want to get that black-on-white cherry set to go with the RGB+Y modifiers.  I'm going to keep my eye on that eBay auction, but with 6 days left, I bet the price goes up beyond my budget... oh well.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 09 June 2012, 00:29:17 »
Quote from: OddOne;610103
The caps are in great shape but I think they would look nicer on my Rosewill (if I can find a Wyse moogle kit).
I really like the WYSE look. There will likely be extras of the WYSE moogle kit available, as almost everyone doubled their orders for $1 more. I have way more WYSE moogles than WYSE kits, so if it comes to that, I have plenty.

Also, I need to put the PBT on the QF rapid blue, and the WYSE on the black, as it looks better against the black instead of gunmetal.

I don't have any cherry beige/black, but I really like the beige&grey with blue that WYSE had. WYSE thicks are pretty nice, One of the biggest issues is the legends are much thinner, and more inconsistent that what I have seen on cherry.

Offline OddOne

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 09 June 2012, 11:11:24 »
@ Dorkvader: thanks for the info. I'll keep patient until the latest moogles ship then. And I may bug you if no others pop up since you kind of volunteered, just a warning ;).

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 04:51:10 »
Also interested in finding a set of these. Searched eBay for about 2 hours and didn't find anything close, anyone else have better luck?
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 08:32:43 »
Search ebay for Desko keyboard. They are rebranded Cherry G81 and always have black on white doubleshots as far as I have seen. Don't let the grime scare you, they are usually in decent shape after you get them cleaned up.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 12:10:26 »
Quote from: lysol;615443
Search ebay for Desko keyboard. They are rebranded Cherry G81 and always have black on white doubleshots as far as I have seen. Don't let the grime scare you, they are usually in decent shape after you get them cleaned up.
Doesn't Desko also make other ones, like the elbowglue SPOS and that airline one with the RGB dyesubs?

'course if you can get one of those on ebay at a good price, it'd be an excellent trade off anyway.

Offline OddOne

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 19:05:01 »
So I ended up grabbing a partial set of SP black-on-white double shots from a fellow geekhacker.  These were from the SP grab bags that were split up amongst the community a while back.  More details on the set and what is missing can be found here.

See below some pictures of the set on my QF Rapid.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53792[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53793[/ATTACH]

This is starting to come together for me.  Once the Cherry Moogle sets are shipped and depending on what may turn up from my classified listing I hope to rid this QF Rapid of all its stock caps soon enough.  At any rate I am pretty happy with the look so far!

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 20:53:00 »
I believe there will be a set of Cherry replica keycaps being made after the Adopt-a-legend GB is over. Although it might be a while...

Offline OddOne

Re: black on white/beige double shots?
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 17:20:07 »
So old topic, but wanted to share my (some what) final product of my search for black-on-white double shots which started with this thread.

1712-0
1714-1
1716-2

The alpha/number/function keys are black-on-white double shots from the 'grab bag' group buy a while back; purchased from inlikeflynn.  The mods are from hashbaz's cherry moogle GB.  The red esc is from mbc's rgby GB.  The other red keys were purchased direct from SP.

I say somewhat finished because as you can see the set is not perfect.  Would love to fill in or replace the missing and out of place pieces if other grab bag purchasers have them.  Until then, I for sure have  a unquie set!   :)

Thank you to all the members that helped me source the keys and also thank you to the members for all the advice above in this thread.

Cheers, OddOne
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 August 2012, 17:22:05 by OddOne »

Offline Chicken Chaser

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 18:10:12 »
Wow that's a beauty. You actually made the CM logos look good on the keyboard; very nice red accents and the double shots look great!
Leopold TKL Blues || Leopold TKL Reds || Filco TKL Ninja Browns

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 22:46:58 »
Seeing nice white double shots on a black tenkeyless gives me seller's remorse.

I had a great set, and a good moogle kit coming.  Then I sold the set to WRXChris.  It was a pretty perfect set too, and he paid a fair price for it.  But every day I don't have that set to look at, and no CCnG yet, I wish I had kept it.

Must resist urge to by pricey keys.....
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 08 August 2012, 23:11:22 »
I'm treating them well jellowiggler! :D  They look so nice on my white filco that I've been too lazy to try them out on any other board.

CCnG is my other favorite keyset though, it really looks amazing so I don't think you'll have sellers remorse anymore when they arrive!

Offline DaClownie

• Handsome Devil
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 16:16:33 »
I'm looking for black on white double shots with white on black modifiers for my CM Storm with MX Browns too... tough set to find. I can find white with gray print PBT caps all day long on ebay :/

Shoot, I'll even take some PBT Dye subs in the same colors.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 11 August 2012, 20:41:55 »
Dye subs are better anyway. Unfortunately, you can't have white legends or black keycaps with them.

What I would do (were I you) is buy a set of cherry Doubleshot from eBay or classifides, and get moogle kit in your preferred colour.

Now the black-on-whites (If I read you right) seem to be less common, but they do come up every now and again.