Author Topic: Bye Bye Trackball and Welcome to the SpacePilot PRO  (Read 4820 times)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
Bye Bye Trackball and Welcome to the SpacePilot PRO
« on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 07:25:13 »
I just found this new guy and it looks nice, but maybe too much electronics and not that many mechanical components.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51219[/ATTACH]

You can learn more about this new bb here
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 10:08:42 »
Are you actually going to use it for the 3D functionality? I find these interesting (the basic one, not all the buttons), but I don't do 3D stuff.

Offline Jim66

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 11:22:27 »
Hmmm, I've looked into this before. The general consensus is that they are great for navigating in 3D modelling environments but not so great for browsing around your operating system...

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 22:24:58 »
Using a Spacetec or 3Dconnexion device like that is a bit like using a TrackPoint that responds in all six degrees of freedom as opposed to only two, in terms of feel. There's a little movement, but not much.

Because of that, I wouldn't want to use it as a traditional mouse. However, it would make a great keyboard supplement/alternative for the intended 3D modeling purpose, or even for gaming. (Seriously, try out Descent or some other 6DoF game with it. Works quite well.)

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 17:35:55 »
That looks cool as hell.  How do you like it?

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 June 2012, 12:48:13 »
Looks cool as hell. I was going to get one of those before but after doing some research on them I came to the conclusion that they are not good as a pointing device replacement only good for 3d stuff.  I'll stick to my SlimBlade.

Offline Kerosene

Re: Bye Bye Trackball and Welcome to the SpacePilot PRO
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 03:00:23 »
Using a Spacetec or 3Dconnexion device like that is a bit like using a TrackPoint that responds in all six degrees of freedom as opposed to only two, in terms of feel. There's a little movement, but not much.

Because of that, I wouldn't want to use it as a traditional mouse. However, it would make a great keyboard supplement/alternative for the intended 3D modeling purpose, or even for gaming. (Seriously, try out Descent or some other 6DoF game with it. Works quite well.)
I seriously would like to try out Descent, or that upcoming Retrovirus thing, with one of these things. Paying the price just for that, though...

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:23:38 »
I have a SpacePilot which is the older more blockie - less feature rich - equivalent to the pro.  Though having said that, I think I prefer having my 6 customisable keys to the funny 5+5 arrangement on the pro.  I don't really game at all, so can't comment on it as a controller in this regard - I'm not even sure if the tracking would work with many games... though it will work with CryENGINE3...

However as a CAD tool, once you've passed the initial learning curve it quickly becomes invaluable, cuts down drawing time on a complex drawing by perhaps as much as 10-15%.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:24:58 »
I have just the most basic one of those, it's pretty cool but I just don't use it all that much
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline boxjon

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 12:13:35 »
This isn't a mouse replacement. this is a tool designed to work with your mouse whilst working in a modeling environment. This would actually make a very poor mouse as aren't very ergonomic and gaming on this would be a nightmare.
Corsair K60 | Corsair M90

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:21:41 »
My main priority is (mostly FPS) gaming so that wouldn't be up my alley as much as a trackball.  It is cool though.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline Strelok

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 09:31:08 »
It's like driving a new BMW.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 09:34:44 »
I have one of these at work for navigating 3D CAD models. For that purpose? It's amazing. When I'm working on Solidworks at home without it, I feel lost.