Author Topic: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread  (Read 339771 times)

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Re: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread
« Reply #550 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 21:46:46 »
@sth: Actually, I want to hear this. I am just a redneck. Feel free to enlighten me.

Every time some unfortunate event happens, you'll see the usual suspects calling for more strict gun controls. Every time, for better or worse, the gun owning public will go into a buying frenzy in fear of not being able to buy certain items. When you try ban something that people care about (yes you can argue that it is gun industry brainwashing), it will generate some emotional response. Hence IMO, to stop people rushing out and buy 10 guns and stockpiling ammo they don't need, stop focusing on the guns. Banning guns is like putting bandaid on a gaping wound. Although, superficially it seems like a solution... until you take into account that there are ~300 million guns in American hands. Until you're willing to actually forcibly take guns out of private ownership, no bans will actually do anything. Then, that's the tyranny that many 2A people like to harp about.
Until our government is willing to do things for the long term, instead of just crap for show that does nothing but to annoy people, I don't think we'll have a real solution to reduce mass gun violence. The stronger people push for gun ban, the stronger the gun lobby pushes back. Who have the deeper pockets, advocacy groups or industry backed lobby? It just line the pockets of politicians, and nothing gets done.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 21:51:37 by laffindude »

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #551 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 21:52:01 »
There is no such thing as "gun control"; there is only the belief that the majority of violent weapons should be controlled by those who not only have a monopoly on violence, but are perhaps also the most psychologically disturbed individuals in the world. Politicians.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #552 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 22:00:32 »
Wow.... This thread is picking up...

On a side note ... Check your walmarts, I just got some ammo. They did have a 3 box limit but I cant complain since I got what I wanted.

Stopped at Walmart after work today. They did stock up a bit - mostly shotgun ammo. I saw a few boxes of .40 and .380 but no 9mm or .45.
Keyboardless

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #553 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 22:03:34 »
I have several (10 or better) cases of 8 shot shells in my garage for both 12 and 20 gauge for trap shooting. Not anything crazy, but enough.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
MKIII
« Reply #554 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 22:56:31 »
Ruger MKIII hunter stainless steel fluted barrel, Millet red dot.
Its a .22 cal target pistol, nice shooter and economical too.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:00:08 by deepthawt »
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #555 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:01:40 »
Ruger MKIII hunter stainless steel fluted barrel, Millet red dot.
Its a .22 cal target pistol, nice shooter and economical too.

i appreciate the aesthetic qualities of your firearm.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #556 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:23:02 »
^ what he's trying to say is "nice gun!!"  ;D
Keyboardless

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #557 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:29:01 »
 :)
thanks x2
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #558 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 01:56:34 »
So,I was at Walmart yesterday, and I know little of better quality. 45 rounds, but they had at least a half dozen boxes of Winchester .45 rounds. ~$30 a box.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #559 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 06:49:35 »
tyranny bro.

illuminati.

all seeing eye.

ron paul 2016

Demik and I probably don't agree on much... but this was funny at least.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #560 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 06:55:53 »

Every time some unfortunate event happens, you'll see the usual suspects calling for more strict gun controls. Every time, for better or worse, the gun owning public will go into a buying frenzy in fear of not being able to buy certain items. When you try ban something that people care about (yes you can argue that it is gun industry brainwashing), it will generate some emotional response. Hence IMO, to stop people rushing out and buy 10 guns and stockpiling ammo they don't need, stop focusing on the guns. Banning guns is like putting bandaid on a gaping wound. Although, superficially it seems like a solution... until you take into account that there are ~300 million guns in American hands. Until you're willing to actually forcibly take guns out of private ownership, no bans will actually do anything. Then, that's the tyranny that many 2A people like to harp about.
Until our government is willing to do things for the long term, instead of just crap for show that does nothing but to annoy people, I don't think we'll have a real solution to reduce mass gun violence. The stronger people push for gun ban, the stronger the gun lobby pushes back. Who have the deeper pockets, advocacy groups or industry backed lobby? It just line the pockets of politicians, and nothing gets done.

Never waste a crisis. I agree that whenever something like the Newtown shootings happens it gets jimmies rustled on a national level and politicians are poised to pass a law solely for their desire to spread their arms wide and say, "See what I have wrought!" More children die from falling into below ground swimming pools each year than die in gun-related incidents. But it shocks the conscience.

If you look at the last few gun tragedies you will see a common thread -- not guns, but people with mental problems getting their hands on a gun. The Colorado shooter, the guy who shot the Congresswoman, and the Newtown shooter -- all people with serious, serious mental problems. Meanwhile in NYC, crazy homeless people are pushing people onto the subway tracks pretty regularly.

But no one, no one has proposed assessing our laws regarding the mentally ill. Probably because it's a much more intractable problem.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #561 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 07:48:11 »
Here's an over simplified view.

I'll split the weapons in 3 populations -
1- military/law enforcement,
2- criminals,
3- civilians

I don't have stats but I'm pretty sure 1 & 2 are making much more victims together then 3.
No matter what gun control you put in place, it will have no impacts on 1 & 2 results. They'll still have access to guns, legal or not.

Applying a tougher gun control law to the whole civilian population - will "probably" affect the .0000000001% crazy enough to turn against themselves or their peers.

As already said. If we really want to protect the population, we need better tools to detect and take care of the mentally ills.

The crazy mofo who did the Oklahoma City Bombing didn't need a gun.
As for the desperate people taking their own life, if you ban the guns, then better start banning pills, rope, natural gas, subway, high bridges, rivers, cliffs, etc...
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #562 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 08:20:35 »
You can basically lump 1 and 2 in the same boat...the first category are just legitimized criminals.

As for the mentally ill I have a simple solution: don't give them a government to control.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #563 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 09:48:05 »
If you look at the last few gun tragedies you will see a common thread -- not guns, but people with mental problems getting their hands on a gun.

Not everyone who kills another human being, or other human beings, or who uses a gun to do it necessarily has "mental problems."  That utterance is useful only to the extent of reducing your cognitive dissonance, as you wildly grasp at any convenient arrangement of words to explain away behavior which you are too lazy or intellectually dishonest to dissect and analyze on a more fundamental basis.  If you want to argue that they have "at least a small number of issues," then so does everyone.

"Well, I don't know why he did what he did, exactly, but, uh, if I say he was 'mentally ill' then that makes it all make sense!  That explains it!  I'm a genius, he's mentally ill because I don't agree with what he did and I don't know why he did it!"

No.  What I find to be most despairing is that people who jump to call others "crazy" or "mentally ill" generally exhibit the most unstable or arbitrary cognitive processes.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #564 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:10:18 »
No matter what gun control you put in place, it will have no impacts on 1 & 2 results. They'll still have access to guns, legal or not.

That's not actually true, as most criminally-owned firearms are ones that were originally legally owned but then stolen or otherwise procured by criminals. If you restrict A (legally owned firearms) then you restrict the supply to B (criminally owned firearms). There isn't a flourishing illegal arms trade to domestic criminals the way there is with recreational drugs, and there simply isn't the logistics or economic incentive for one to exist. For instance, in a total reversal of what people expect most of the illegally owned firearms in Mexico are smuggled (on a small scale) from states in the USA like Texas where it's much easier to get your hands on them.

You can't just create firearms out of nothing they way you can grow drug crops either. Other than a few clandestine factories making Kalashnikov clones (mostly in the Khyber Pass) almost all the current firearms in the hands of paramilitaries, terrorist organisations, militias and such are remnants from the Cold War. Whilst new firearms from reputable manufacturers are tightly controlled, in a way that is effective.

It's easy to just dismiss gun-control by saying criminals still acquire guns, but it's a massive oversimplification and ignores the method by which these weapons fall into illegal circulation.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #565 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:29:28 »
Yea but you can't forget the fact that firearms are mechanical devices, and NOT complicated ones at all, and it has become increasingly easy for civilians to build them. In fact, P-Mags are incredible easy to make using a 3d printer and guns themselves are becoming increasingly easy to make using the same.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #566 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:39:58 »
Yeah, and you'll always get the Timothy McVeigh types that go about assembling firearms/explosives for whatever reason, but I have a feeling the same isn't true of your more average criminal who just intends to use it to knock over a convenience store or carry around while selling crack. In any case the theoretical possibility for criminals to build guns isn't the issue, because there's no evidence one way or another how much of a factor that will be. Personally I think the lack of homemade devices currently in circulation is indicative of it not being relevant though. What is relevant however are the illegal firearms currently in circulation, which as we've established is directly linked to legally owned firearms, which is why the argument that firearm control doesn't effect criminals is outright BS.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #567 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:43:35 »
You know how they tried to end that though? They made it a law that firearm dealers have to report multiple purchases within a certain timeframe in certain states.

It works so well that a person can literally go to 5 or 6 (or more) different dealers in a day without raising a hair of suspicion. It reminds me about a law in my area regarding alcohol...I can't buy more than 2 sixpacks at a time at a supermarket. UNLESS, of course, I bring them in my car first and then go back in to buy more. Lol.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #568 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:47:38 »
That's of no interest to me and not relevant to what I said though. I'm not even pro-gun control, I just don't let my personal opinion determine how I see reality. I'm willing to accept the risk that less gun control means more hands in criminals rather than dishonestly deny it like some gun advocates do.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #569 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:49:11 »
Well no, more gun control means more guns in the hands of criminals...you know like the criminals you legitimize who kill people domestically and in foreign countries. Like the ones who put people in cages for smoking leaves and then kill them if they try to escape. How civilized.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #570 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:53:28 »
Well no, more gun control means more guns in the hands of criminals...
Except every real life example would indicate the opposite is true. I know reality isn't your strong point, but c'mon now.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #571 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:57:23 »
Name one real life example then.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #572 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 11:14:06 »
Well how about the fact that countries with more gun control such as the UK and Japan have some of the lowest firearm-related crime statistics than countries with less gun-control such as the USA? The fact that the majority of illegal firearms started out as legally owned firearms? The fact it's easier to get a firearm in the southern US than it is in Mexico to the point where firearms are smuggled south across the border?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #573 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 11:21:50 »
And how exactly does that prove that fewer guns are in the hands of criminals? How many foreign countries is the UK involved in aggression against right now? How many of their citizens are put into cages every year for victimless crimes like smoking weed, and shot if they try to escape? Oh, those folks shooting people with guns aren't criminals to you?

Offline Malphas

« Reply #574 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 11:25:40 »
No, they're not. Because I don't share your peculiar worldview, the military and police don't qualify under the definition of criminals I was using in the scope of this discussion.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #575 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 11:30:36 »
I guess it's peculiar to believe that killing people is wrong then. Sorry, carry on.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #576 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 11:38:42 »
Also, citizens in the UK don't get put in prison for smoking weed, convicts don't get shot for trying to escape prison, and prison guards aren't even armed. Again, your distorted view of the world completely differs from reality.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #577 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 13:47:43 »
How do people in the UK get put in prison exactly - do the police ask them nicely? The point is that force is necessary and used frequently.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #578 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 15:03:12 »
Yeah, and I and the vast majority of people have no problem with force being used against people who violate what's generally agreed to be the rules of society. So yeah, I don't see a problem with people who've committed murders, assaults, rapes, etc. having forced used against them and I find it bizarre that you do and would label the police/government criminals because of it. And yes, like I said people don't go to prison for smoking weed in the UK, or generally suffer any legal consequences whatsoever. Drug prohibition is still a set of laws I personally find unnecessary and unjust, but that's a fault with the law, not the system of government. Same goes for unjust wars.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #579 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 15:06:01 »
You just illustrated your own double standard succinctly: "I don't see a problem with people who've committed murders, assaults, rapes, etc. having forced used against them..."

Well what about when your own government murders, assaults rapes, etc.? It's ok for one party but not for the other?

Offline Malphas

« Reply #580 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 15:14:03 »
No, I don't approve of those either, and never said anything indicating that I did. Just because I support having a system of government over stateless anarchy, doesn't mean I approve of everything my current government does. There's no double standard involved, just your own imagination, jumping to conclusions and inability to see things in anything other than black and white and one extreme to another.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #581 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 20:10:43 »

That's not actually true, as most criminally-owned firearms are ones that were originally legally owned but then stolen or otherwise procured by criminals. If you restrict A (legally owned firearms) then you restrict the supply to B (criminally owned firearms).

I'll speak for my country... Canada
Regulation is so tight - there is very little handguns to steel from the population
No criminals are interested in registered guns... Too much traces.

Our armed criminals are using unregistered guns acquired on the black market. Apparently they don`t have much problems to cross the border. Supply do not seams to be an issue.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #582 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 21:45:32 »
Gun control does not equate to less violent crime.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Spoons made me fat.

More

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #583 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 21:59:00 »
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I mentioned this book in another thread, but I'm going to recommend it here too:

"Call 911 and Die":
http://www.amazon.com/Dial-911-Die-Richard-Stevens/dp/0964230445

Clears up many assumptions and common misconceptions about the relationship between police and civilians.

P.S. if anyone is either too lazy to buy it or can't afford it but are interested, tell me what state you live in and I can tell you exactly what the law in your state says about the actual duty or obligation of police to protect you.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 February 2013, 23:43:14 by keyboardlover »

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #584 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:18:34 »
I mentioned this book in another thread, but I'm going to recommend it here too:
"Call 911 and Die":

Reminds me a visit at a shooting range near Atlanta. Just when entering the facility, they had a big sign showing "we do not call 911"
Nice folks as long as you don't mess around.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #585 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:20:58 »
Please, whatever you do in life, do not take an unstable person to the shooting range as "therapy." Chris Kyle's death was a needless tragedy.

Rest in peace, America's deadliest sniper.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #586 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:22:40 »
Indeed.

I have a personal policy not to shoot guns with crazy people.  Sorry keyboardlover, my anarchist friend, you're out. ;-) 
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 June 2017, 10:47:12 by aggiejy »

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #587 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:28:56 »
What - I'm crazy because I'm peaceful?

Now THAT's crazy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:39:18 by keyboardlover »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #588 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:53:18 »
I kid, I kid.  Questioning the almighty government overlord's devine power to take life makes you crazy, didn't you know?  Not that I see eye to eye with what you're saying, but I see your points and I don't serious consider you crazy.  Just an easy target in this thread. ;-)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #589 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 19:57:22 »
Lol thanks bud :P

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #590 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:30:11 »
What happened to the gun pictures? :(

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #591 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:38:42 »

Here ya go.

12953-0

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #592 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:41:27 »
Oooh shiny.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #593 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 22:25:24 »

Reup'd since the pix got taken down after the forum reload.  Pictures of what I have for the house, for the road, and for fun.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #594 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 00:15:30 »
Around here firearms are strictly controlled, most people that carry guns are criminals,
but usually people just get stabbed or simply beaten to death and not shot...

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #595 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 06:49:18 »
^ Where is that?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #596 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:04:29 »
I like it! It's like guns with keyboards instead of shoes with keyboards like they do at Reddit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 June 2017, 10:47:56 by aggiejy »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #597 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 10:34:41 »
^ Where is that?

Germany, but that alone wont tell you much...
Most regions here are pretty ok or at least "average", but some (usually the ones with a lot immigrants) are not.
To put things into perspective: In some city  people with immigration background are responsible for >50% of the crime.
Well, I live in a city with a lot immigrants, and yes, I carry a gun on daily base, saved my ass twice already (just had to pull it...).

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #598 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 10:50:16 »
^ Where is that?

Most regions here are pretty ok or at least "average", but some (usually the ones with a lot immigrants) are not.
To put things into perspective: In some city  people with immigration background are responsible for >50% of the crime.
Well, I live in a city with a lot immigrants, and yes, I carry a gun on daily base, saved my ass twice already (just had to pull it...).

So, in this case, more gun control did not equal less violent crime. In fact, it makes a criminal out of the person who would abide by the laws of the land, but needs to carry a gun for protection. Calling for police would not have been effective, and had he not been carrying a gun, TheSoulhunter may have been another victim of violence.

Also, it illustrates that one does not need a gun to commit acts of violence. When the populace is unarmed, criminals can prey on their victims with knives, clubs, or brute force.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, TheSoulhunter.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #599 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:57:03 »
^ Where is that?

So, in this case, more gun control did not equal less violent crime. In fact, it makes a criminal out of the person who would abide by the laws of the land, but needs to carry a gun for protection. Calling for police would not have been effective, and had he not been carrying a gun, TheSoulhunter may have been another victim of violence.

Also, it illustrates that one does not need a gun to commit acts of violence. When the populace is unarmed, criminals can prey on their victims with knives, clubs, or brute force.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, TheSoulhunter.

I should add that I still feel sorta uncomfortable carrying a gun with me...
I felt even more uncomfortable when I had to pull it. It always bears the risk that the other dude pulls one as well and things get really nasty.

Would it be better moving into a different area? Would it be better not to carry a gun and accept the risk of getting robbed and beaten up from time to time?
Perhaps. But I'm not the kind of guy who wants to simply accept the situation as it is, I dont want to retreat, I don't want to "flee" from my own hometown,
I don't want to get beaten up by a bunch of bored youngsters even tho I did nothing wrong to them, I dont want to look away when it happens to others!

I wish I could live in a world without the need to carry a gun, a world without the need for protection, a world without crime, but thats illusory...
As things are, my best chance is to be "supreme" or in worst case at least equal in in power compared to criminals, and that means I have to carry a gun!
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 12:01:42 by TheSoulhunter »