Author Topic: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread  (Read 339525 times)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
Re: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread
« Reply #750 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:10:53 »
thats my final, ran out of targets,
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #751 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:31:24 »
Well, I don't want to win by default so I'll extend the deadline to next Sunday. Maybe I'll get a better score next week.
I don't want to win by default either, so I'll shorten the distance to 10 ft and extend the date to Sunday after next.
LOL

-out

More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #752 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 20:56:30 »
thats my final, ran out of targets,

The one with 86 points? So, you're winning (for now). I'll have to get 87+ point by next Sunday.

I went to this murdering conference today. It was fun. Thousands of rounds were shot but miraculously nobody died. Check out the girl in hot pink with a race gun.

« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:56:59 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #753 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:11:03 »

I don't want to win by default either, so I'll shorten the distance to 10 ft and extend the date to Sunday after next.
LOL

Sorry, I just want more people to get a chance to compete. I even let SmallFry in with his Airsoft gun. There is no distance shortening of any kind. Target range is still 15 yards.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:39:50 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #754 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:25:40 »
I quickly realized how long 15 yards is when I was standing almost entirely across my basement, there is no way to do this with an airsoft pistol, sadly. I am not sure if a pellet pistol would make much difference, as the projectile is the same caliber IIRC.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #755 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:43:52 »
Okay, I'm definitely going to try to get to the range this week!  I had a couple groups from my last outing that looked good enough to be competitive.  But whoever mentioned a MarkIII... I'm scared of.  If you own that gun, you probably like to drive tacks. :)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #756 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 22:08:19 »
@SmallyFry, I can take my Red Ryder BB rifle to the range and try it. I'm sure there will be a few people laughing at me.

@aggiejy, if you're afraid of a Mark III, then you're gonna be more afraid of this Mark III with a PacLite barrel and a red dot  ;D

Keyboardless

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #757 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 22:35:31 »
I don't have a pellet pistol, so save the mockery. :) Thank you though.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #758 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 22:50:46 »
@aggiejy, if you're afraid of a Mark III, then you're gonna be more afraid of this Mark III with a PacLite barrel and a red dot  ;D

That is NICE! I'm currently saving up for a stock "Hunter" model.  But perhaps I should consider getting the base and modding instead? $700+ is a lot for a .22 though... especially if you're not into shooting competition.  On the fence between that or a Kahr PM9.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 22:53:42 by aggiejy »

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #759 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 22:53:08 »
I quickly realized how long 15 yards is when I was standing almost entirely across my basement, there is no way to do this with an airsoft pistol, sadly. I am not sure if a pellet pistol would make much difference, as the projectile is the same caliber IIRC.

.177 pellets are an entirely different ballgame, you can certainly pierce cardboard, wallboard, dent or pierce popcans etc.
The pistols typically have half the muzzle velocity of the pellet rifles.
A decent pellet rifle on a bench rest can hit a quarter at 90 yds , (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQTbEJouP9Y )  and pellet pistols can hit swing targets at 15 yds and make them them 'thwack' pretty good.

Something like a crossman 2240 can be had in .22 cal and uses CO2 cartridges, available at sportings goods shops or walmart etc.

You can shoot them in a basement  into ballistic putty or (cheaper) duct seal or plumbers putty from F&F or menards.

http://www.archerairguns.info/2009/11/duct-seal-ideal-pellet-trap-material.html
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 23:15:17 by deepthawt »
More

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #760 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 23:06:55 »

That is NICE! I'm currently saving up for a stock "Hunter" model.  But perhaps I should consider getting the base and modding instead? $700+ is a lot for a .22 though... especially if you're not into shooting competition.  On the fence between that or a Kahr PM9.

From my experience, not worth it. No FTFs with stock 22/45 LITE barrel. Many FTFs with the PacLite barrel. It likes CCI Mini Mag the most but those ammo are more expensive than bulk.

Crossman 2240 looks nice. I'll have to look into it.
Keyboardless

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #761 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 00:27:32 »
Here is another MKIII you might like, a stock hunter with a millet red dot
20746-0
edit: not quite stock, it has a volquartzen 'target ' hammer and sear
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 00:32:27 by deepthawt »
More

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread
« Reply #762 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 08:14:17 »
Here is another MKIII you might like, a stock hunter with a millet red dot
(Attachment Link)
edit: not quite stock, it has a volquartzen 'target ' hammer and sear

THAT is what I want! I'll trade my custom kmac and SSK and Realforce TKL for that. :-)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #763 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 18:12:01 »
THAT is what I want! I'll trade my custom kmac and SSK and Realforce TKL for that. :-)
That's a real nice offer but I know that I'd miss that MKIII forever.
I never know if people are serious or not.
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #764 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 19:42:03 »
Very nice MKIII. I have a Volquartsen target hammer and sear in my 10/22. I can shoot the hairs off a gnat's ass at 50 yds with it. 5-shot groups into one ragged hole.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #765 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 01:08:11 »
Going to the range later today, will bring back my target for the competition.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #766 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 11:45:26 »
Don't come back until you can beat deepthawt's 86 points.
Keyboardless

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #767 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 13:56:22 »
I got a Remmington 870 Express and a Springfield 22 semi auto with a banana clip  :)

I'm thinking on getting a Ruger SP101 (38 special?) as my first legal "legit" home defense wheel gun... Any thoughts against that?

Edit;
OP has a revolver in his avatar lol. Chrome.... Mmmmm
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #768 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 14:20:01 »
My friend wants a Remmington 870 in nickel plated. I don't have a revolver in my collection but wouldn't mind getting one. But I spent too much money on 2 custom guns recently so won't be getting any thing new any time soon.
Keyboardless

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #769 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 15:07:11 »
I got a Remmington 870 Express and a Springfield 22 semi auto with a banana clip  :)

I'm thinking on getting a Ruger SP101 (38 special?) as my first legal "legit" home defense wheel gun... Any thoughts against that?

Edit;

Sounds good, Ruger makes good quality revolvers. I would go for the .357 version though, then you could shoot .357 if you wanted a little more energy but still be able to shoot .38SPC.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #770 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 15:58:50 »
I'm a little confused about the scoring system, but it looks like both of you beat me! It's that inconsistent bulk .22, yeah, that's it...  :-[

Wait, I think I understand, is this 66 points?
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 May 2013, 16:02:32 by ComradeSniper »

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #771 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 17:48:56 »
You have 68 points:
3 (10) = 30
1 (9) =  9
1 (8 ) =  8
3 (7) = 21

1 of the 8's is closer to 9. And 1 of the 9's is closer to 10.

I also used a .22 at the range today. I used bulk CCI Blazer + some Rem-DriLube for added accuracy : P
I think I might have enough points to beat deepthawt. It's gonna be close.
Keyboardless

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #772 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 19:19:15 »
My friend wants a Remmington 870 in nickel plated. I don't have a revolver in my collection but wouldn't mind getting one. But I spent too much money on 2 custom guns recently so won't be getting any thing new any time soon.

I see a revolver as a must-have in any respectable American's house. Pick it up and it's ready to shoot.

Edit;

Sounds good, Ruger makes good quality revolvers. I would go for the .357 version though, then you could shoot .357 if you wanted a little more energy but still be able to shoot .38SPC.

I didn't think about just getting the .357 and using adapters to shoot lower caliber if needed. Might just do that - thanks for the advice.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #773 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 19:44:10 »
85 points for me!! Almost good enough to beat deepthawt's score.  Which is somewhat surprising since I couldn't see anything more than 8 yards. I had eye exam yesterday and got new contacts. The doctor said it will take a few days to get used to new prescription.

GH April 2013 Shootout result:
#1 - deepthawt - 86 pts
#2 - mmmty - 85 pts
#3 - ComradeSniper - 68 pts
Keyboardless

Offline Atakp

« Reply #774 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 20:05:19 »

Edit;

I've got a Ruger security six .357 in my collection. They stopped making them in 1988 but it is tough as hell and built like a tank. I love that wheel gun.

As other people have suggested go with a .357 over a .38 if you want a larger framed home defense gun.

You don't need any kind of adapter to shoot the smaller round. When I teach people to shoot I like to load both rounds and give the cylinder a spin so when they shoot they don't know which recoil they're getting. Teaches good trigger control if they're anticipating the shot

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #775 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 20:39:51 »
I shot perfect
thats awesome tsangan

More

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #776 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 20:56:20 »
As other people have suggested go with a .357 over a .38 if you want a larger framed home defense gun.
You don't need any kind of adapter to shoot the smaller round. When I teach people to shoot I like to load both rounds and give the cylinder a spin so when they shoot they don't know which recoil they're getting. Teaches good trigger control if they're anticipating the shot
Other advantages of getting a .357 are they are usually heavier than a .38 which equates to less recoil when you shoot .38 through them.
More

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #777 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:04:01 »
not sure if it's relevant, but for those interested in games as well as (hand)guns, check out the indie game "Reciever"

It's less than 5 bucks on steam, and it has very in-depth firearm mechanics. Essentially you are given one of 3 models of handgun (some 6 shot revolver, a glock 17c or a 1911) and you have to go through every step of cocking, firing, and reloading when applicable while managing your ammo and fighting stationary and hovering drones.

Basically there's a paper-thin "plot" of having to collect 11 cassette tapes, but the real fun comes from having to try to quickly fight and reload in a hot situation, which takes several actions rather than simply pressing "R" like in most FPSes.

I was pretty impressed when I realized that you can actually uncock a revolver by holding the "cock hammer" button, pressing the fire button, and releasing the cock button (it will uncock and cycle to the next round without firing)  Seems like a fair bit of thought was put into that mechanic. I'd love to see this worked into future "realistic combat" games (ARMA IV?).
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #778 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:12:08 »
Totally forgot about this. Thanks for reminding me :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 18:46:40 by VesperSAINT »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #779 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:41:04 »
I ordered my custom CZ Pro Tek a few days ago and they told me it will be ready in June.  :(

Late quote but just saw this and I WANT TO SEE THIS WHEN YOU GET IT!!! I currently have the PCR (carry IWB) and I've drooled way too many times over pictures of the Pro Tek of the PCR... it's just that it costs 3 times as much as my PCR, and probably even more now :(

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #780 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 07:53:21 »
June is only a few weeks away. I'm actually more excited about Accu Shadow scheduled for July. I got to play with a Shadow Target at the range and it was awesome!! It had thin aluminum grips and fit perfectly in my hands. The trigger was very nice. Now I know what a good trigger feels like.
Keyboardless

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #781 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 05:40:09 »
Heres some guns I bought laying on the floor

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #782 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 05:55:40 »
June is only a few weeks away. I'm actually more excited about Accu Shadow scheduled for July. I got to play with a Shadow Target at the range and it was awesome!! It had thin aluminum grips and fit perfectly in my hands. The trigger was very nice. Now I know what a good trigger feels like.

The Accu Shadow is absolutely beautiful! I'm actually surprised that there are others in FL that actually own CZ's. When I went to 2-3 different gun stores in Gainesville (1 including a gun show), I would talk to the owners and they would all say that they don't stock CZ's because no one knows about them... My mind was blown. If I'm ever in Tampa, and you get those babies, I'm going to have to hit you up so I can see and maybe even shoot those precious's! As much as the Accu Shadow is glorious, I'd personally go with the Pro Tek PCR because my thing is conceal carry and can't yet afford to buy luxury/competition guns :( I haven't even shot my PCR in over 6 months... But I do dry fire practice every day or so :) I should definitely try to join in on this shooting competition next time.

The aluminum grip = amazing for my small hands. One problem... $85+shipping.

Heres some guns I bought laying on the floor

Show Image

Nice collection! You have a really well-rounded collection which is what I want! My next purchase (forever away) is probably going to be a shotgun. Probably a Remington 870 for home defense because I can only afford to be practical. LOL!
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 06:04:23 by VesperSAINT »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #783 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 05:59:46 »
I wouldn't mind getting one of these CZ Accu Shadow.

Show Image

After posting the last message, I went to look at the picture of the Accu Shadow again in your post... Oh gawd... it's so damn pretty... that special bushing to increase performance/accuracy like a 1911... $1700  *sob*
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 06:05:48 by VesperSAINT »

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #784 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:48:23 »
As far as price for a custom pistol, CZ is not bad at all. A custom 1911 or a race gun cost at least $3000.

Let's keep CZ a secret. It's already hard enough finding one.
Keyboardless

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #785 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 11:40:10 »
I thought everyone knew about CZ.  The CZ75B is an incredibly popular pistol that gets a lot of respect.  When I can afford it, it's one of the pistols on my short list to buy along with a Beretta M9/92FS or one of those variants.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #786 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 12:41:51 »
In the US, Glock is the most popular brand of pistol. Everybody I know that shoots has a Glock.
Keyboardless

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #787 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 12:54:35 »
Indeed.  But since I discovered the glorious trigger and ergonomics of the Walther PPQ.  It's been ~5 months and I'm still in love.  No time for Glocks.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:38:07 by aggiejy »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #788 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 13:05:09 »
In the US, Glock is the most popular brand of pistol. Everybody I know that shoots has a Glock.

True, but I thought we were talking about well known, not just ownership.  It seems like Glocks and S&W are incredibly popular (though I hate my dad's .40 S&W since it's beyond inconsistent and inaccurate), but the CZ is well known even though it's not as popular.

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #789 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 21:28:19 »
Nice collection! You have a really well-rounded collection which is what I want! My next purchase (forever away) is probably going to be a shotgun. Probably a Remington 870 for home defense because I can only afford to be practical. LOL!

A Remington, Mossberg, or Benelli will serve you well. The one in my picture is a Mossberg 590. I took it out to an outdoor range last Monday, and was shooting bowling pins @ 100 yards away with rifled slug, very accurate if you know your weapon (mine kicks high with its Knoxx Compstock, so I aim at the bottom of the hill to hit a target at the top).

You also have a wide selection of loads you can use, so it's hard to get bored with it.

If you buy the popular models, you'll have lots of accessories to choose from.

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #790 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 13:46:37 »
News story that just broke and got posted today: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e72_1368806260

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but seems appropriate. Anyways, the summary is that some armed home invaders force the home owner into his closet as they rob his house. The closet is where all his guns are.....a gun fight ensues, and he comes out on top.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #791 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 13:50:37 »
In relation to this: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c3d_1368637826

T.I.A. (if anyone gets that reference :)) )

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #792 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 00:40:51 »
I wish I will have the courage to do the same thing in that situation. Must be pretty scary to have 3 guys come into your house, beat you up and put you in the closet.
Keyboardless

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #793 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 01:22:58 »
I used to have a Benelli M-1 Super 90 Defense. A 12 gauge 8 round semi-automatic shotgun...what a ride that was! Inconvenient to own when you move around a lot, so I just walked into an office and gave it to someone that sent my stores a lot of business.

Yea, I'm an idiot.

I was going to post a video on my iPhone of us shooting a modified weapon in fully automatic mode, but I don't see how to post a vid directly :(
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #794 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:08:54 »
Here's a close up picture of my 1911 (Kimber TLE/RL2) and my revolver (Smith and Wesson Model 28):

Here's my revolver at an indoor range:

And here's a picture of my revolver that I don't shoot much (Ruger GP100):

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #795 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 13:17:06 »
Dood, absolutely beautiful guns. I especially love your model 28!
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:18:44 by VesperSAINT »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #796 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:05:58 »
Is the grip on the Model 28 the stock one? It looks nice.

Just found this pic I took a while back of my Poker and some Winchester Black Talons.

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #797 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:32:49 »

Just found this pic I took a while back of my Poker and some Winchester Black Talons.

Show Image

What keyboard is that? I really like how clear and crisp the lettering and color on that board is

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #798 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:49:39 »

Show Image

What keyboard is that? I really like how clear and crisp the lettering and color on that board is

It's a Poker with Corsair K60 keycaps. They're pretty nice for pad printed caps. The ESC is Cherry double shot.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #799 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 04:00:48 »
GUNS