Author Topic: Trackballs for FPS Games  (Read 25872 times)

Offline Rafen

Trackballs for FPS Games
« on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 21:21:29 »
I was wondering if trackballs are any good when playing FPS games? I have been thinking about getting one of these for a while and I just wanted to know how well it will work. Thanks for help ahead of time.

Offline Trent

Trackballs for FPS Games
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:36:42 »
I find that trackballs are OK for some, and a pain for others.  I use a Logitech M570 wireless trackball (thumb trackball).  I find that certain games that had awful controls (Half Life 1) turn out to have much better control.  Sometimes you like it with a game, sometimes you don't.  That's why I keep a regular mouse plugged in at all times.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Trackballs for FPS Games
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:42:16 »
I would think they would be terrible for gaming since it require a certain about of precision. Then again, I've never used a trackball for any extended periods of time so I guess it would be possible

it also depends on the same type, I doubt they would be good for FPSes even with a very experienced trackball user
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
Re: Trackballs for FPS Games
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:37:59 »
Use a finger-type trackball.  I use the Logitech Marble and the Kensington Orbit and they are accurate and smooth.  I use my index, middle, and ring fingers to move the ball and my thumb left clicks while my pinky right clicks.  I used it for TF2 (Medic and Sniper mostly) and Black Ops 2 (I suck at that game no matter what system I play it on), Unreal Tournament (on up to Godlike difficulty) and a little bit of Counter-Strike.  I did at least as well or even better with the trackball at each game.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:40:37 by CreamyNutButter »
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:54:13 »
Apparently, they are even good at Quake 3 since I beat the bots on Nightmare 20-12 with my trackball.  I thought I was a horrible Quake player until now.  I can't use a mouse as well at high sensitivity as a trackball.  Quake 3 is very fast paced and reflex based, so that was a pleasant surprise.  I didn't try sniping because the map didn't have the railgun, but the sniper rifle on UT works wonders with it.  Try a cheaper one like the Marble or Orbit and see if you like it.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:57:07 »
I would try it, but I suck at FPS games. ;_;

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:09:38 »
Yeah, if you actually care about DPI then the L-Trac is king.  I don't even know if DPI matters when you use a trackball.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:55:05 »
It certainly does matter. TrackMan Wheel on 2560×1440 is a pain.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 14:48:49 »
I can change the sensitivity if I need to.  A Marble is a lot less cumbersome than a Wheel because the Marble can spin faster across the desktop.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 15:35:37 »
I can change the sensitivity if I need to.

Feels weird IMHO.

A Marble is a lot less cumbersome than a Wheel because the Marble can spin faster across the desktop.

Not really true, at least in my case (I use both).

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:15:41 »
Yeah, but my main concern is gaming.  I like the desktop default sensitivity the way it is.  In the games, I keep my sensitivity set to that a full left-right turn does a clockwise 180 degree spin.  That way I can go from enemy to enemy without rolling it too much.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:59:21 »
It works for some people but not for others. You will have to try it for yourself.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 22:00:42 »
I can promise you that you wont make a single headshot with a trackball :D

Offline linuxid10t

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 06:51:09 »
You CAN play FPSs with a trackball, however it isn't particularly easy.  A regular mouse is far better for the purpose of games.  I think it is a lot harder to stop spinning and aim with a trackball due to the inertia of the spinning ball, where as on a mouse, there is virtually no inertia, all you have to do is stop moving your hand.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:31:02 »

I was getting more headshots on Call of Duty and Unreal Tournament with the trackball  (with most of the guns except shotguns on CoD and the sniper + ripper from UT).  I got a "Monster Kill" on UT that was entirely sniper headshots.  I also snipe pretty well on Team Fortress 2.  Once you get used to a finger-operated trackball you will be very accurate.  I use my index, middle, and ring fingers to control the ball.  The sensitivity often needs to be adjusted, my rule of thumb is that one full left-right motion should make you do a 180 degree spin.  I have good enough control on Call of Duty that I can use it to snipe with any gun, including the light machine gun with a thermal scope and variable zoom.

You CAN play FPSs with a trackball, however it isn't particularly easy.  A regular mouse is far better for the purpose of games.  I think it is a lot harder to stop spinning and aim with a trackball due to the inertia of the spinning ball, where as on a mouse, there is virtually no inertia, all you have to do is stop moving your hand.

I personally do better with a trackball.  I use a Marble Mouse and the inertia is not a problem.  The ball does not keep spinning unless you are trying to spin it as fast as possible while your fingers aren't touching it.  I think maybe you haven't tried one because the inertia part doesn't seem to be accurate.  Most trackballs have too much friction to stay in motion unless you spin them with great force.  Like a lot of things, just like keyboards, it ultimately boils down to personal preference and what you are used to.  Some products are better than others but everyone has different tastes.  A trackball is the perfect fit for me and I wouldn't even go back to a Razer or a Steelseries, because I simply like the way it works.  I can't guarantee that a trackball will make you a better player, but since you can get a Logitech Marble or a Kensington Orbit for about $25-30 dollars, it's not too expensive to try.  I will probably give away my old Marble or Orbit to someone will get a lot of use out of it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:53:22 by CreamyNutButter »

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 15:39:50 »

Some guys are sick with the Logitech Marble.

I used to try to play with it but didn't feel comfortable enough in FPS. I do play other kind of games with it though.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 19:59:23 »
I have CS 1.6 and CSS but I rarely play them.  I play Team Fortress 2 and Unreal Tournament but I am getting sick of Black Ops 2.

Offline dn

• Got Wood? Fabricator / Designer Extraordinaire
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 20:32:41 »
I have CS 1.6 and CSS but I rarely play them.  I play Team Fortress 2 and Unreal Tournament but I am getting sick of Black Ops 2.

I believe it would be insane to attempt to gain the same precision of a mouse on low sensitivity (aka 25+cm for a 360 degree turn in game) on a track balls limited range of motion (the same analogy of a person who has a 5cm or less 360 degree turn in game). There are physical limitations of the input device - including the speed at which you can maneouver the ball and being able to CONSISTENTLY apply muscle memory to multiple rotations etc.

Source: mouse EXPERT and competitive QuakeLive, and Quake CPMA player
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2013, 20:36:06 by dn »
7G owner :)

PS: I'm looking for a PBT blank full set for my 7G!

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 14:49:36 »
Don't make a bet you'll lose, phetto!  I haven't had time to play lately (working 40 and going to school), but I make plenty of them when I get a chance to game.  You don't want to be a zombie when I'm playing L4D1/2, either! :-)
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.