Author Topic: The Batman Trilogy  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Striketh

The Batman Trilogy
« on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 23:30:44 »
I just watched The Dark Knight Rises tonight and I have to say, I was impressed overall. I'm looking at the trilogy as a whole and I don't believe the journey of Bruce Wayne has ever been done this well before. While Batman was important, of course, it was really Bruce Wayne that made this for me.

The performance of Cat Woman was also spectacular. While I don't believe she could do a Cat Woman movie solo in the future, I could see her and Nightwing working together or something. That would be fantastic.

I've been waiting over the years for something that could hold a candle to LotR, and this is it. I can go back and re-watch LotR every year and I'll be doing the same with this trilogy, as well.

I'm going to avoid posting any spoilers here, so please do the same for those that haven't yet seen the movie. Feel free to discuss your overall thoughts on the trilogy, though, including the ups and downs.

I will say that while Bane was fantastic, Ledger's Joker is near impossible to top. He hit the ball out of the park on that one. Nolan did manage to make Bane more interesting than he ever was to me before, though. Really good characterization there.

So what do you guys think?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: The Batman Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 23:43:05 »
I haven't seen the third movie but do you think they would have made more Batman movies if Ledger hadn't died? Or was it always planed as a trilogy?

From what I've been hearing, this three one seems a bit rushed compare to the first two. Almost like they could have easily made a 4th.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 23:49:51 »
dundun dundun dundun dundun batman....

Keyboardless

Offline Striketh

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 23:50:07 »
I haven't seen the third movie but do you think they would have made more Batman movies if Ledger hadn't died? Or was it always planed as a trilogy?

From what I've been hearing, this three one seems a bit rushed compare to the first two. Almost like they could have easily made a 4th.

The main complaint about the 3rd movie is that the editing wasn't as good as the 2nd. Some parts didn't flow as smoothly as they could have. They went for an epic scale in this movie and while they did manage to pull it off, it did feel a bit abbreviated in some parts.

If Ledger hadn't died I think they could have brought The Joker back, but not in this movie. There just wasn't room for him in this story. It's impossible to know whether they intended for him to come back or not, but the possibility is always there since The Joker was never killed in TDK.

Flaws aside (all of the movies have some kind of flaw), I'd rank the movies in this order: TDK > TDKR > BB

There's no major differences in the ranking, though. It's not like Batman Begins was bad by any means, it's just not as good as the other two since it was more of a setup movie while in the other two the story was already established.

Edit: One more thing, the soundtrack is amazing. Hans Zimmer really out did himself this time. You're going to want to put on the Bat suit yourself after hearing it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 July 2012, 23:54:09 by Striketh »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 23:54:56 »
talk about a well made trilogy.

alfred's 2 scenes in TDKR were incredible.

i also agree with your ranking.

TDK > TDKR > BB. but all were wonderful.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 23:59:14 »
Was it always planned as a trilogy? IMO I like when a TV show or movie series says, "we're going to make 3 movies/season and then we're done" it makes the writers really think and plan out the best use of those limited episodes. Most of the TV shows I watch, the first couple of seasons are the cats meow and then just **** because the story has no directions other than to extend on to other seasons.

I've also heard many people agreeing with that order TDK > TDKR > BB

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Striketh

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 00:04:10 »
Was it always planned as a trilogy? IMO I like when a TV show or movie series says, "we're going to make 3 movies/season and then we're done" it makes the writers really think and plan out the best use of those limited episodes. Most of the TV shows I watch, the first couple of seasons are the cats meow and then just **** because the story has no directions other than to extend on to other seasons.

I've also heard many people agreeing with that order TDK > TDKR > BB

Short answer? It's complicated. Long answer is answered in a letter written by Christopher Nolan here:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/07/24/christopher-nolans-heartfelt-farewell-letter-to-his-epic-batman-trilogy/

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 00:16:13 »
I'm going to miss Nolan's Batman, but when you think of it Nolan will move onto something else amazing. Any studio in there right mind will give Nolan whatever budget he wants, whatever actors he wants for any movie premise he wants because he delivers excellent movies almost every time.