Author Topic: Rosewill RK-9000 is fiilco rebranded?  (Read 4759 times)

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
Rosewill RK-9000 is fiilco rebranded?
« on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 06:32:55 »
Just spot this on some site, they said Rosewill is a rebranded  filco as for the price tag and quality .

really?? :O ...i would get a cheaper keyboard just for the price and quality . I just hope these are better than razer shiets quality.

Offline Djuzuh

Re: Rosewill RK-9000 is fiilco rebranded?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 06:39:02 »
Maybe, maybe not.

They use the same compagny to build them (costar).

BUT:
1) they may not have used the same materials or designs or studytime in them.
2) They may not have the same quality control standarts.
3) Costar doesn't own any factory, but instead pays other factories to build the kbs for them. So it could be that they don't use the same factory for both products.

BTW, costar is known to build filcos, WASDs, CMStorm quickfire rapid and rosewill.

But rosewill boards are very decent boards nonetheless. You just have to be carefull about the usb connector which isn't very solid I believe.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 07:28:20 »
Without a doubt they are better than Razer or Ducky. Wish my Rosewill review was still up!

They weigh less than Filco/WASD which I thought seemed a bit odd for a "re-brand". But in any case, I think they are one of the best mechanical keyboard deals out right now.

fartq

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 07:38:43 »
it's not a rebrand. both companies use the same ODM, but may not be built in the same factory or to the same qc standards, etc. (in fact, given the price difference they're almost certainly not). having only had experience with a filco, i can say that they are excellent, solid keyboards.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 08:15:33 »
The RK-9000 has awesome quality. It's honestly my favorite keyboard that I've owned so far. I've had 2 filcos and a blackwidow. The texture of the plastic they use feels amazing. The flip down feet things feel really good and satisfying to flip down lol. The cable (on the older RK-9000's not sure about the removable cable ones) is thick as hell! There is nothing bad at all that I can think of on the RK-9000. I love it! I would personally recommend it over a filco.

Offline Nutriment

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 17:09:06 »
At 64$ shipped for Brown in the US a couple weeks ago, I would never recommend the Filco over the Rosewill with a deal like this.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 17:47:00 »
I have two Rosewills as my main drivers at work and home. I love 'em. Though incidentally I may be selling one or both of them soon, if you're interested in acquiring one. ;)

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 17:59:37 »
I had a friend rip apart his Rosewill reds to compare it to his Filco reds as he was planning on modding them for fun.

Everything on the inside on both boards seemed to be the same, with the only difference being the USB connector on the Rosewill. It isn't fully attached to the board; only two thin pieces hold the connector to the board which is the reason why a lot of people have mentioned connector issues. A little bit of self-modding and reinforcement on the connector fixes the problem.

As already mentioned, if you're looking for a budget full-sized board and don't mind a little modding that can go a very, very long way, the Rosewill is the way to go, especially at the sale price.

I'll see if I can get the pictures from him and post them ITT later.
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Zykos

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 18:04:00 »
Performance versus price vise you should definitely get the rosewill over the filco.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 18:05:49 »
I heard the rosewills have a different usb connection design which breaks easily where it's soldered.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 19:12:27 »
Also, not sure if this is still the case but every once and a while Newegg will have a super sale on Rosewills.  I got an MX Red model for 64 bucks.  Board works perfectly except on boot where the PC does not recognize the board until I unplug and plug back in.  Probably just my keyboard and not an issue with the model.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 22:45:53 »
I think I might have to pick up an RK-9000 some time. They seem like solid boards. Minus the USB connector issues.

Wasn't Rosewill coming out with a new model?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 22:52:57 »
I love my two Rosewills

If you want one with blues for cheap, pm me ;D
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline angry gamer

• Postmodern Martyr
    • http://www2.b3ta.com/mind-control/
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 23:19:34 »
I heard the rosewills have a different usb connection design which breaks easily where it's soldered.

It's flimsy and the board comes with a very stiff braided cable so when you move your board around on your desk I am sure there is extra stress put on the USB connection point. To help alleviate this use a regular  A to B USB cable or get ready to void your warranty to re-solder the joints back together.

Offline Zykos

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 03:30:40 »
I used to have the new rosewill, and at one point the usb connect would not work anymore after 2 days of usage.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 06:32:22 »
i ordered my Rosewill a few weeks ago when the deal for $65 was on newegg. I had been looking at a red switch since I needed some light actuation. This keyboard definitely feels solid and has quality.  It's definitely an upgrade over the Blackwidow i had before. Only thing is that there are no media keys but Winamp helps with that.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 11:01:20 »
Well thanks for the reply,

I decided to get either Filco MAJESTOUCH 2 Multicam tenkeyless (TKL)  or Filco MAJESTOUCH  Ninja tenkeyless (TKL)

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 14:38:10 »
Here's a close up of the USB connector. You can see how the design lends itself to these problems.
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 15:07:13 »
The two are very similar in design, as other has attested to.  The Filco uses a higher-quality PCB: FR-4, double-sided, and possibly thicker (I forgot to measure it).  The Leopold I had apart recently used a low-end, single-sided FR-2 type PCB.  It's been a while since i had my Rosewill apart, but I remember it being single-sided as well.  The PCB quality isn't terribly important on plate-mounted keyboards, but it gives you an idea of where your money is going on the Filco (besides the brand).

All that said, the Rosewill is the best bang for your buck.  I have a Rosewill, CM Storm and a Filco and they all have the same amount of heft and solidness to them.  If you use a more flexible USB cable, you are less likely to have issues with the connector.
Russ

ShakeR2

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 00:11:56 »
OP: "Should I get Rosewill or Filco?"

Everyone: "Get the Rosewill!"

OP: "OK, so I've narrowed it down to 2 Filcos"

:)

Seriously though, as was mentioned earlier- Same manufacturer does not mean same board rebranded. The keyboard has to have same specs as well, and costar won't use Filco tooling for any other brand.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2012, 00:39:59 by mkawa »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 00:40:52 »
moderator note: shaker2 was momentarily shaker's account while he couldn't recover his password

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.