Author Topic: Does this look dirty or not?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
Does this look dirty or not?
« on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 08:49:58 »
So I bought this keyboard on OCN, assuming it would come a little cleaner than shown in this thread.  When it did arrive, it looked exactly the same on the surface, and had a ton of hair/food/gunk under the board.  I've cleaned it since so  it's damn near spotless

My question is, looking at the picture in the thread, what kind of condition would you expect to see under the keys?  Because the buyer doesn't believe me that it looked like it hadn't been remotely cleaned in over a year, and says i'm making it up.  Any opinions would be coolio :) (the first picture is probabaly the worst)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1284871/filco-majestouch-and-wrist-rest-luxeed-u5-corsair-cables-asus-blu-ray#post_17783382
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2012, 08:51:47 by daxxjapxx »
| Poker MX Red |

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Does this look dirty or not?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:07:39 »
It does look a little buy dirty...Enjoy the blues ^_^
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:11:06 »
it looks pretty gross in the pics. enjoy the filco though!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:21:22 »
Keyboards gather a ton of nasties, as everyone knows, so any seller should take the time to at least do a little clean-up to ensure a smooth transaction. Even a few squirts of canned air if he/she is too lazy to pop caps off should make it at least bearable. It is a newer board that was sold on an enthusiast forum so I'd expect more if I was you, too; it wasn't some ancient one that had been sitting in a basement for 20 years and sold on ebay by some grandma.

This seller either just didn't care once it was out of his hands or just didn't think of it because maybe his personal hygiene isn't up-to-par.

At least you have it clean now. Hope you can forget all the grime and enjoy it.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:22:30 »
it was disgusting.  there was a substance that had the consistency of ear wax on each stabalizer clip. The worst was the long hairs and bits of food though, the guy was such a **** about it.   Now that is nice and clean, i'm going to try to sell it (as a slight discount)  as I just got a white filco tenkeyless with reds and black filco tenkeyless with browns :).  thanks for the input guys
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:24:30 by daxxjapxx »
| Poker MX Red |

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:35:36 »
Earwax on the stabilizer clips? Sure it just wasn't lube to keep 'em from squeaking/ticking?

2 more purchases!?! That guy's filth drove you to buying 2 new boards? Does he work for Filco or keyboardco? :P
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 09:42:53 »
maybe it was lube?  it was a dark orange, looked identical to ear wax, i have no experience with it so i cant tell lol

and no it wasnt his lack of clenliness haha.  It was part of a payment/trade for my nexus.  I actually have another tenkeyless with blues that has 3 hours of use on it, that will be sold as well.  I've cycled through all the MX swtiches, and love browns/reds.  Blues are nice, just so damn loud, especially when your typing/gaming past midnight lol.  Browns will be my typing board, and reds my gaming board :D  Now i just need a clack for each one and i'll feel complete, haha
| Poker MX Red |

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 10:15:28 »
Board chow extreme.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 10:57:15 »
Clearly, you guys have never bought buckling spring keyboards off ebay.

That board would barely make it into the bottom 50% compared to some of what I have gotten, particularly from rawko.

PS - I think rawko is great by the way, and I assume that ANYTHING I buy that is not NEW is going to need a thorough cleaning.
“Look, what I’ve gone through nobody’s ever gone through. I’m a very legitimate person. I built a great business. Everything’s been …. I’ve been under siege. Nobody has ever seen anything like this in this country. Now in other countries, in other third world countries, or Banana Republics as they say, a Banana Republic. We’ve become a Banana Republic. At the border we’ve become a Banana Republic. With so many other elements of our country we’ve become a Banana Republic. You take a look at what’s happening with inflation. That’s a Banana Republic inflation what we have.” - Donald Trump 2024-06-06

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 11:26:48 »
Clearly, you guys have never bought buckling spring keyboards off ebay.

That board would barely make it into the bottom 50% compared to some of what I have gotten, particularly from rawko.

PS - I think rawko is great by the way, and I assume that ANYTHING I buy that is not NEW is going to need a thorough cleaning.

well i'd expect 25 + year old key boards to be a bit dirty, not a filco.  These are premium boards sold on as absyrd said, enthusiast forums.  I wouldn't expect to receive a GPU full of dust smelling of smoke, a CPU with thermal paste all over it, or a radiator for a watercooling loop to be filled with gunk from the previous distilled water/dye coolant.  From ebay, yea, maybe, i see your point.  But this isn't ebay, this was the OCN community, a forum for PC enthusiasts.  I wouldn't feel right selling someone a board I hadn't cleaned or deemed clean, maybe thats just me

PS- was it rawko? lol
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2012, 11:49:47 by daxxjapxx »
| Poker MX Red |

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 16:40:45 »
I've seen 'boards with so much crud underneath the keys that they don't work.  The guy should have apologised.  If he wants to live in filth, it's his lookout, arguing the toss is is bit much, though.

I wouldn't dream of selling something that bad.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline ranviper

• Nerd.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 09:46:56 »
Thats gross. I could never sell anything that dirty. Who knows what kind of bacteria and other things LIVE in that. Guy should give you some money back or something, so u could pay for cleaning stuff. NAST!
EC66 | MIYA

Offline nullstring

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 10:33:42 »
It does look dirty on the pic.... so...