Author Topic: Thanks To Majestouch For Bringing Us Blue Cherry Filcos!!  (Read 11227 times)

Offline Special K

Thanks To Majestouch For Bringing Us Blue Cherry Filcos!!
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 13:56:58 »
Quote from: ripster;97541
Kencheeto and Loofa, it would be immature of us to gloat but....

Show Image

Yeah, this keyboard is a blast.

Are you going to post a full review of it?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 15:01:18 »
to me the filco doesn't sound or feel substantially different than the das, but then again, i no longer have the das to do a back to back comparison.

the filco definitely types better.  no problems with input lag or character inversion, usb or ps/2.  n-key rollover is also fine (limited to 6 via usb).

nitpicks: the printing on the keycaps can be felt, like on the das.  and also like on the das, the longer keys (space bar, shift keys) could be stabilized a bit better.  i find that on both the filco and the das, the right shift can bind slightly if it's hit off center.  not enough to cause the key to stick, but just enough to add a little bit more resistance to the keystroke.  it's noticeable if you jump on it after using a keyboard that has very stable larger keys, like a realforce.

build quality is very good, considering it's made in taiwan.

and of course majestouch's service was excellent.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 15:19:56 »
Does the spacebar use Green switches or blues?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 15:27:00 »
Quote from: ch_123;97716
Does the spacebar use Green switches or blues?

In the brown 'boards, they use a brown switch.  The only 'board I, personally, have seen a green in was the MX-11800.  Even my Cherry G80-3000 has a brown in the spacebar.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 19 June 2009, 23:40:43 »
Quote from: ripster;97709
Someone was having that problem with the spacebar and I'm having a hard time replicating it.  Even Majestouch felt it.  Is it with a light keystroke - edge of key - right or left offcenter on the spacebar???

the spacebar isn't much of an issue for me.  the right shift key binds slightly sometimes if it's hit towards the left edge.  the key still goes down, but it feels different.  not really a big deal.

Offline Hamps

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 01:36:53 »
My Filco Clicky "Otaku" finally arrived today! I've been typing on it non-stop ever since I took it out of the box. I absolutely love everything about this keyboard! I'm so happy with the purchase. Thank you Majestouch!

I'm probably a noob by you guys' standards. I've seen some of the collections y'all are sporting lol. Sadly, I'm somewhat new to this scene in comparison. The only other mechanical keyswitch I've used regularly before getting this was a Cherry black linear. I've used Model Ms when I was a kid, but I can't remember them too much so I still consider myself a noob in this territory. However, my lack of experience may be useful for those visiting this forum in search of more information and perhaps a perspective from someone who didn't know what to expect.

First and foremost, the absolute best part about this keyboard is that I can totally trust my hands. I don't know if I can explain it properly, but I love being able to feel each keystroke and have it subconsciously register whether I pressed it accurately or not. My average typing speed is 120 WPM and at that speed I can't think about each and every keystroke. I have to rely on the feel of the 'board to let me know which key it was I messed up or if I'm typing just fine. I don't like to second guess myself when typing. It slows me down way too much.

I guess I should say that I technically have used Cherry blues before. I used a Das III for a day. I have felt them, but I don't consider myself to have actually "used" blues before this board because with the Das I had to actually think about my typing and make sure to be entirely purposeful with every keystroke since its infamous transposition problems were very evident at 120 WPM. Thankfully, the Filco 'board works exactly how it should and registers every keystroke properly so I'm finally able to just unleash the beast on the blues and feel the power. If I typo it's my typo, not the board's typo. I swear using the blues makes me type more accurately though since I can feel it better.

I know I haven't used browns, alps, etc. but I don't see how they could top these blues. They're just the right amount of force needed to actuate the key and I'm addicted to the sound. I've always loved the way certain keyboards sound and finally I have one that doesn't just thud thud thud away so boringly. Maybe I'm lucky and found my dream keyboard already. I hope I don't ever have to room with someone who can't stand the noise. I'd have to get browns I suppose, but I'm afraid of those being too light.

The Cherry blue clickies in comparison to my old Cherry black linears are like night and day for me. The blacks had a pretty tough spring in them and made my fingers tire out much quicker than any regular 'board. The linear feel of each stroke was also a bit confusing when first using it as well. It was almost impossible to trust my fingers because I didn't feel anything really. I didn't have the bump that the blues give to let me know I've actuated the key. I started bottoming out to get the feedback I needed which hurt my fingers. It sounds like I hate Cherry blacks now, but I don't. I do like them-- they're way better than rubber domes-- but going from black to blue is almost like going from rubber dome to blacks for me. Oh and now the tips of my fingers aren't black and blue... do ho ho

Oh and this board looks amazing. Even the Filco logo looks great! Thanks again Majestouch.

Offline kyamei

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 05:00:54 »
Quote from: Hamps;97849

I know I haven't used browns, alps, etc. but I don't see how they could top these blues.

Keep on thinking this, it'll save your wallet.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 05:22:46 »
Don't worry. Six months from now, he'll want a Topre :p

Offline jkkhop

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 20 June 2009, 05:48:05 »
USPS tracker says mines still in "International dispatch" and has been for a couple of days..  going to take to Wednesday before it arrives, I guess.

Offline djones

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 03:55:28 »
Number of quality keyboards sold to me by
God: 0
Obama: 0
Elite Keyboards: 2 (tenkeyless blues and blacks... not sure how I feel about the blacks yet, definitely liking the blues)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 21 June 2009, 05:24:36 »
Blacks are meant to be great for gaming, but an old DEC board I used once put me off linear switches for life...