Author Topic: FS: IBM F AT (PC/AT)  (Read 1770 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
FS: IBM F AT (PC/AT)
« on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 17:33:14 »
SOLD to Autolyze.

Up for sale is one of my IBM F ATs.  I've put around 7-8 hours into this (modding/sanding/painting/etc.).  It's 100% fully functional.

Things I've done to it:
-Metal barrel plate has been sanded down/de-rusted, primed, and painted fire engine red
-IBM case badge has been replaced with a case badge from an IBM F XT (virtually similar to the F AT badge except it lacks "AT" next to the "Personal Computer" text
-Complete deep cleaning (key caps and barrels have been given a denture cleaner bath...keyboard case has been cleaned as well)
-Space bar has been modified to require minimal actuation force (the space bar is now much lighter than a stock IBM F AT) [rough guess on the required actuation force would be 55-60g]
-Springs and all contact points have been very lightly lubricated with Teflon silicone lubricant

Visible defects on the F AT:
-minor chipping on the edges of the F9, F10, and space bar (seen in pictures below)
-paint on the keyboard chasis has been slightly rubbed/worn down at the point where your wrists/palms would contact the keyboard underneath the space bar, function keys, and tenkey
-AT cable has lost its shine and is now matte
-Serial number sticker on the bottom of the keyboard is missing/worn off
-Small gouge in the bottom of the keyboard near one of the extendable feet (not visible when keyboard is sitting on a desk)

The keyboard is 100% fully functional.  I'm asking $150 shipped CONUS only (gift or add 3.5% paypal fees).

If you have any questions or want better photos let me know!

« Last Edit: Sat, 25 August 2012, 06:57:05 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Roguemaster8

Re: FS: IBM F AT (PC/AT)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 17:54:25 »
Whoa, that puppy is sharp. Is this the clicky-er variant of the two Model F's?
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 18:17:29 »
Whoa, that puppy is sharp. Is this the clicky-er variant of the two Model F's?

It's hella clickey (or for my northeastern friends, wicked clickey).  It's probably the loudest of the IBM keyboards.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by the two Model Fs.  If you mean the XT and the AT, they are both equally clickey.  The XT feels a tad bit better imo, but the XT has an insufferable layout.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 19:26:59 »
If you are in the market for one of these, you should nab this one.

About this time last year, I was lusting heavily for one and I bought about 5, and re-sold 4, to get one really nice specimen. Not even counting many hours cleaning and adjusting, I lost money needless to say.

Sure, the last one on ebay sold in the $85 + shipping price range, but who knows what it really felt like, and what it needed.

Yes, the XT is just a tad "clickier" whatever that means, but buy this one and fix the big-ass enter and small-ass backspace and you will possess a top-shelf keyboard that no one in the world can dis.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 20:38:14 »
For 15 years, my DD was a Cherry keyboard and, sometimes, an SSK. In the last year, I moved between Cherry browns, blues, Contron and Monterey. And last week I got an F AT, by chance. I'm using it as daily driver, and didn't feel the need to switch to something else. It's an amazing board and you get hooked pretty fast. It has almost everything you look for in other boards and in a very normal measure, i.e., it doesn't sit at extreme w.r.t. tactile and audible features. It's a nice keyboard to have.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 20:53:14 »
Get a big Mac Daddy Model F 122-key terminal board and move some barrels and springs around to create a near-ANSI layout.

Do a bolt mod on it and you will truly be in keyboard nirvana.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 22:23:48 »
AKIMbO = cool bro

I'd buy this from him because I've been wanting to try a BS board, but I have other matters to attend to  :D
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 August 2012, 22:35:07 »
^This is the end all-be all of buckling spring keyboards imo....nothing beats the feel of Model Fs.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 August 2012, 05:55:22 »
SOLD to Autolyze.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 August 2012, 06:55:57 by AKIMbO »
| KBD75 (box reds)