Author Topic: SIIG Mini-touch New in Box on ebay $50 delivered  (Read 9450 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
SIIG Mini-touch New in Box on ebay $50 delivered
« on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:42:45 »
This is probably the white Alps version, but I don't know for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330785961642&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123
“This isn’t the same Trump that got elected in 2016, he’s worse.”
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”
“What kind of man is this?”  Biden asked. — June 3, 2024

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: SIIG Mini-touch New in Box on ebay $50 delivered
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:48:30 »
I looked up the model number and found this thread:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=16839.0

According to this thread it has ALPS Type 2 Simplified (XMs).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:58:35 »
Yes, it is KB1948.
The Monterey is the KB1903.
Now, they are not real Alps (Alps is a Japanese company), they are called XM and they were made in Taiwan, initially, an later in China.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 18:15:58 by poxeclipse »

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 19:01:35 »
"MiniTouch prices plummeted during the post-Poker era."
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 23:02:01 »
Yes, it is KB1948.
The Monterey is the KB1903.
Now, they are not real Alps (Alps is a Japanese company), they are called XM and they were made in Taiwan, initially, an later in China.

This guy says his KB1903 is white alps with an AT connector
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=25227.msg475511#msg475511

Still, that looks like a great deal. I've always wanted to try the siig minitouch.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 13:16:45 »
I just bought one from this seller...will report back when it arrives and let you guys know if it's white alps.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 08:20:30 »
Bought one also. Got it for $10 cheaper too. :)
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 08:56:15 »

Lol....ditto.  $40 shipped is a good deal for BNIB, still sealed siig minitouch.  Even if it is the white xm variant.

They shipped mine crazy fast.  I think I bought mine around 3PM and it was in UPS' hands with the tracking number already updated by 6PM that day.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 12:51:02 »
Couldn't resist. Just ordered. I've been wanting to try out this keyboard for the longest time. Thanks!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 13:17:19 »

Lol....ditto.  $40 shipped is a good deal for BNIB, still sealed siig minitouch.  Even if it is the white xm variant.

They shipped mine crazy fast.  I think I bought mine around 3PM and it was in UPS' hands with the tracking number already updated by 6PM that day.
Same, I paid for mine earlier today and the seller already brought it to UPS. I can't wait to get it!
tp thread is tp thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 19:07:52 »
Glad to help you guys out.

Actually, when I posted the link, I did not realize that they had multiple copies for sale.
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 20:23:58 »
Only 1 left.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 21:12:38 »
And I have an offer on it at the moment.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 22:27:09 »
haha can't wait to hear about all the people with fancy shiny NIB minitouches with garbage switches and terrible stabilizers... have fun kids.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
Re: Re: SIIG Mini-touch New in Box on ebay $50 delivered
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 07:18:04 »
haha can't wait to hear about all the people with fancy shiny NIB minitouches with garbage switches and terrible stabilizers... have fun kids.

^I like this guy. XD

The enter key is horrid on all minitouches.  I'm curious what white xm switches feel like.  $40 shipped for bnib isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 17:02:11 »
no it's not too bad, but if you just want to try the switches i'll send you one with an AT cable, without a case :) white XM is not considered by many to be very enjoyable though.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 17:06:51 »
no it's not too bad, but if you just want to try the switches i'll send you one with an AT cable, without a case :) white XM is not considered by many to be very enjoyable though.

By far the WORST part about these, second maybe the layout. We have to make a HHKB esque layout for Alp's switches 'cause Monterey are great.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 21:47:59 »

^I like this guy. XD

The enter key is horrid on all minitouches.  I'm curious what white xm switches feel like.  $40 shipped for bnib isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.
Seller declined my offer of $41 on this, so I backed out of the running. According to ebay, there were 3 others with offers on it.

Looks like it's monterey only for me :( (Should arrive Monday.)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 18:41:01 »

^I like this guy. XD

Seller declined my offer of $41 on this, so I backed out of the running. According to ebay, there were 3 others with offers on it.

Looks like it's monterey only for me :( (Should arrive Monday.)

Damn. Looks like they will not be touch my offer either then. Oh well.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:02:08 »
He didn't give you a counteroffer?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 21:49:47 »
He didn't give you a counteroffer?

I offered $39
He countered $45.
I countered $41
He countered $45 again.
I declined

I felt like letting a pokemon go. His counteroffers were super effective :P

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 06:39:51 »
I don't know what it means to "let a Pokemon go" but I have never checked "Allow Offers" when I do a BIN sale.

If it doesn't sell at $50 this week, I will lower my price to $45 next week.

There have been occasions when I have "made offers" but they have been lowball offers for the top amount I would pay. I ignore counter-offers.

I do not look at "doing business" as "playing a game" but I know that a lot of people do.

Clearly, this seller had a desirable item at what many people obviously considered a fair price. After selling more than 1 in under 24 hours, I personally would not have entertained lower offers.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 10:01:37 »
I don't know what it means to "let a Pokemon go" but I have never checked "Allow Offers" when I do a BIN sale.

If it doesn't sell at $50 this week, I will lower my price to $45 next week.

There have been occasions when I have "made offers" but they have been lowball offers for the top amount I would pay. I ignore counter-offers.

I do not look at "doing business" as "playing a game" but I know that a lot of people do.

Clearly, this seller had a desirable item at what many people obviously considered a fair price. After selling more than 1 in under 24 hours, I personally would not have entertained lower offers.

Of the 3 sold, none were for the BIN price. I suspected that they were for $40, based on CLiB's post in this topic.

That's why I wanted one for $40.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 10:06:15 »
Yep. Had a similar "negotiation". Seems like $45 for that last one is the sticking point.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 12:19:51 »
I asked for $40 but he countered $43 so I just accepted. Didn't think he would go lower than that.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 17:14:05 »
I just got my Siig today from this seller.  It's definitely BNIB...still has the shrink wrap on it and everything.  The cable has some black staining...probably due to age or storage conditions.  I tried to rub off the black markings with a damp cloth to no avail.  I'll try a Mr. Clean magic eraser late tonight when I get back.   
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 21:12:05 »
I asked for $40 but he countered $43 so I just accepted. Didn't think he would go lower than that.
Probably because everyone was offering low $40's and declining his $45. That's a good deal, and I'm glad you got it! Tell us when it arrives.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 08:46:45 »
Pics as promised.  Condition is excellent sans the minor discoloration on the cable.  The feel of the switches is very unique.  They are extremely heavy at the top, but once you get past the extreme initial force required...the switch just falls downward and crashes into the metal plate.  You cannot prevent yourself from bottoming out with xm switches.  All in all, this keyboard won't be my daily driver, but I still do enjoy typing on it.  I will probably pull it out of the closet every now and then to type on it for a day.  I do love the sound of these xm switches though. 

| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 09:56:26 »
I am having the same problem with montereys: The throw is shorter, so I bottom out hard every time.

It'll take a bit to get used to them, I think.

Excellent pictures, thanks!

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 09:57:48 »
Nice size, but layout is a little too strange for me.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 12:33:06 »

Ditto...it's taking a while to get used to the left ctrl position.  Plus having home, end, pg up, and pg down on a function level is a little irritating.  I use those keys constantly no navigate between tabs in Chrome.
| KBD75 (box reds)

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 14:33:39 »
Just got mine in the mail today... but now comes the real question: should I open the NIB keyboard???

I'm thinking so...
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 September 2012, 14:39:39 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 14:57:19 »
^Open it up...you know you want to man!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 17:46:42 »
I should be getting mine tomorrow. Excited to try them out.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 18:51:18 »

Ditto...it's taking a while to get used to the left ctrl position.  Plus having home, end, pg up, and pg down on a function level is a little irritating.  I use those keys constantly no navigate between tabs in Chrome.

Actually, I prefer that left Ctrl position.  It's right under home row, so it's easy to get there and back, without looking.  And it's more comfortable for doing Copy & Paste operations.

I'm more messed up by the lack of a tilde key and the funky Pg Up/Down keys.  I don't use Home & End much.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 19:15:30 »
I personally think that both the positions they have page up and page down in work rather well but it does take some getting used to.

I think the arrow keys would work better in a IJKL block instead of 8UOK.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 19:31:10 »

Always warms my heart to hear that.  :-)

It was one of the ideas I had that never really caught on.  It's amazingly handy, but most users don't seem to care about it, or understand why it's good.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 21:02:38 »
I personally think that both the positions they have page up and page down in work rather well but it does take some getting used to.

CHTN is better than IJKL. IJKL are all over the keyboard! Makes no sense.

I haven't been using mine that much. It feels almost like an ML to me, what with the shorter-throw keyswitches and all. Maybe I'll test out some O-rings on it.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 21:05:13 »

I haven't been using mine that much. It feels almost like an ML to me, what with the shorter-throw keyswitches and all. Maybe I'll test out some O-rings on it.
how dare you compare white xm to ML?! white xm is garbage.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 21:47:38 »

Always warms my heart to hear that.  :-)

It was one of the ideas I had that never really caught on.  It's amazingly handy, but most users don't seem to care about it, or understand why it's good.

It just makes sense, right? It's WASD and not 2QES for a reason, one thing I don't like about the HHKB.

and DV, read that as CHTN :P

Matias, make us a new Alps style mini KB, with a proper function layer!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 23:33:15 »

how dare you compare white xm to ML?! white xm is garbage.
I was comparing monterey to ML. The keys in my ALPSulator are white, but I wouldn't want to actually type on those. (They are probably the loudest keyswitches I have, though)
---
Right, JZOMB, CHTN makes a lot of sense. More programs and keyboards should use it. I'd even go for DHTN, though it's not my preference.

That's what confused me about VI, Why are the navigation keys so weird? I'd have them all next to each other at least. Also, What's QWERTY? Since it makes no sense, It's hard to learn, and I haven't really put in an effort.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 15:53:37 »
I just received my minitouch. Typing on it feels quite pleasant. I did have the same problem with the cable. It was blackened on some parts. Thanks OP of this great find.