Author Topic: Keycool 87 Backlit vs Leopold  (Read 3537 times)

Offline engicoder

Keycool 87 Backlit vs Leopold
« on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 07:34:27 »
Backlit keyboards are for sissies right ;-) Well, here a quick review of the backlit Keycool from a sissy"

I just picked up a backlit tenkeyless with browns from qtan (E-Sports). It seems pretty solid so far. I also have a Leopold tenkeyless with browns and physically they are very similar, almost identical in appearance. Here is a short list of differences and how they compare:

Backlighting: Obviously the Leopold has none. The Keycool backlighting is done very well. The brightness is adjustable in three levels. The brightest is too bright for me even in the day. I find I use the dimmest both day and night. There is some peculiarity to when the backlight turns off. It seems to stay on when my computer sleeps and turn off on shutdown. This makes sense as the computer is keeping the keyboard alive for wake up, but its a bit odd.

Keycaps: Keycool has slightly cheaper feeling keycaps. The font is much larger, I suppose due to the backlighting. Again, due to the led being above the switch, they have to put the shift character next to instead of above the unshifted character. For example, the 3 key would have  "3#" on the key, side by side, as opposed to the # being above the 3. I am not personally very fond of that.

Typing feel: Here the Leopold wins IMHO. The Leopold feels crisp with just a bit of resistance and a just a hint of detent. The Keycool is noticeably stiffer, almost as if it drags a little. The keystroke almost feels a little mushy when compared to that of the Leopold. The Keycool has less noise at bottom out. 

Overall, I am happy with they Keycool, but I will probably stick with the Leopold for my heavy lifting and use the Keycool for my dark periods.

BTW, I am a competent touch typist,  but even after 30 years of typing, I still occasionally find myself having to look for a key or just look down for...., I dont know, reassurance maybe? Not sure why, buts that how it is for me. In those situations, its nice to have the backlight at night.

Here is a photo for comparison:5530-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 October 2012, 10:56:42 by engicoder »

Offline xenon_chris

Re: Keycool 87 Backlit vs Leopold
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 07:40:27 »
Nice write up & good to see a comparison between one of the top tier boards against a cheaper unit.
Ducky Dragon/Browns

Offline w4rtortle

• QFR Black Switches
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 08:49:56 »
I really like this review, much easier to compare keyboards to each other rather than just have one in the review.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 09:29:51 »
You have a little mistake here ; )
"Overall, I am happy with they Keycool, but I will probably stick with the Leopold for my heavy lifting and use the Leopold for my dark periods."

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 10:23:55 »

Keycaps: Keycool has slightly cheaper feeling keycaps. The font is much larger, I suppose due to the backlighting. Again due to the led being above the switch, they have to put the shift character next to instead of above the unshifted character. For example, the 3 key would have  "3#" on the key side by side as opposed to the # being above the 3. I am no personally very fond of that.

Others complain with other backlit boards that the shifted character being placed below doesn't get enough of the backlight. Maybe this is why keycool did this? Does make it look more uniform in regards to light but also makes the caps look crowded, for sure.

Thanks for the review!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 10:55:06 »
You have a little mistake here ; )
"Overall, I am happy with they Keycool, but I will probably stick with the Leopold for my heavy lifting and use the Leopold for my dark periods."

Whoops, thanks!!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 11:54:20 »
How does the keycool feel mushy when it's a mechanical? Does it not have a meal plate to support the PCB?\

Thanks for the comparison review.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 12:47:29 »
How does the keycool feel mushy when it's a mechanical? Does it not have a meal plate to support the PCB?

I believe other teardowns http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36115.0 have shown it to be over very similar construction to the Leopold.

"Mushy" was hyperbole to convey my impression of their subjective tactile quality. They are much better than non-mechanical keys. They are very close to the Leopold, but there is something about the feel that is less "crisp". The keys feel like they are resisting movement just a bit in both the press and release motions, which gives the keyboard a slightly vague feel in comparison with the Leopold. In the end the reason we are all so anal about keyboards is subjective in nature. Most people would be happy with whatever crap their e-Machine shipped with.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 October 2012, 12:54:26 by engicoder »

Offline Whiskeyfox

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 19:05:53 »
does the keycool 87 LED come with any accesories like extra keys and/or the keycap puller?

thanks!

Offline engicoder

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 08:07:54 »
does the keycool 87 LED come with any accesories like extra keys and/or the keycap puller?

Yes, it comes with:

- ring style key puller
 - 5 blank key caps
 - USB to PS/2 adapter
 - branded USB cable
 - branded fabric bag (holds keyboard)