Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 143133 times)

Offline yester64

Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #600 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 21:56:28 »
Normally the only one that tracks you is your provider and that may be correct. But smartphones give companies many more options and more precision to track people in any way. I don't think anyone can throw both in the same basket for that reason.

I mean stuff like Motorola is listening.

I think what you are referring to there is software, services, and software-as-a-service. Such things are not only ubiquitous and are not limited to smart phones, but are examples of bad security implementation and the ever increasing collection of personal information by companies. If that's what you are concerned about you need to get rid of all of your Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Blackberry devices and services ASAP.

Sorry to quote you again, but i think it fit in.
Its a link to a german newspaper in where a german politician cites how he got tracked and what it looks like. You can start the animation and see.
http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-data-retention/
>> its in english! Enjoy
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #601 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 09:42:49 »
Just upgraded from an S4 to a Note 3, also bought a new Shure SE215 to go with it....

I like your style.
Thanks, I'd also added a little gadget to my Note 3 so that I can now take a pic of my Note 3 + SE215...

Had to wait for stock to be replenished, but finally got my mitts on a Galaxy Gear as well....took the pic of my Note 3 with it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2013, 19:39:19 by PadawanGeek »

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #602 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 12:25:34 »
Very nice, young padawan.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #603 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 15:10:03 »
How's the Galaxy Gear?  My dad wanted to get one to go together with his note 3 but it's sold out in my home country atm.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #604 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:16:24 »
Just pulled the trigger on a Nexus 4 16GB. Been umm'ing and ahh'ing about it for weeks but I finally decided $299 is just too cheap to miss out on for a quad core phone. When I realised I can get $250ish from selling my S2 on eBay it made it a very easy decision!

Now I just have to wait for the mailman.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #605 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:17:35 »
Very good deal. The S2 is an absolute legend of a phone, too.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline bigx333

« Reply #606 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 09:16:01 »
Just got a Note 3 as well (upgraded from a HTC One X), it's literally impossible to get the Galaxy Gear in South Africa yet (not that I'm too convinced by it...)
2TU | LZ-GH

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #607 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 00:36:21 »
I got my ATT Note 3 last thursday. liking it a lot so far.

Offline tormentor

« Reply #608 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:38:27 »
I dont remember all the different phones I've had. As far as my current phone it's a Galaxy S3 but I had Metro PCS for a while before they became nationwide and I must of lost like 4 phones while I had them.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #609 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 14:57:05 »
Att note 3 rooted already!

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #610 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 09:54:24 »
How's the Galaxy Gear?  My dad wanted to get one to go together with his note 3 but it's sold out in my home country atm.
Having used it for the past few days, I can say it's pretty intuitive, get to the wrong screen, just swipe sideways or downwards or upwards....depending on which screen/app you're at. Calls with the watch is good, but environment must be relatively quiet to hear clearly. If you're in the midst of a crown, best use your phone as the speaker on the watch is not loud enough in a crowded area. When paired, walk out of range, your watch will vibrate and let you know BT has bee disconnected, walk into range and it automatically connects w/o your having to do anything. I'm liking it thus far, though I do think it's a tad expensive.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #611 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 10:38:16 »
Having used it for the past few days, I can say it's pretty intuitive, get to the wrong screen, just swipe sideways or downwards or upwards....depending on which screen/app you're at. Calls with the watch is good, but environment must be relatively quiet to hear clearly. If you're in the midst of a crown, best use your phone as the speaker on the watch is not loud enough in a crowded area. When paired, walk out of range, your watch will vibrate and let you know BT has bee disconnected, walk into range and it automatically connects w/o your having to do anything. I'm liking it thus far, though I do think it's a tad expensive.

ahh cool. so should I recommend it to my dad ? by expensive, how much are we talking about ?  :blank:
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #612 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 10:43:03 »
Got my Nexus 4 on Wednesday, can't stop playing with it. Loving vanilla android and how fast it is, it's like night and day compared to my Galaxy S2.

Don't know why so many phone companies still insist on putting 1GB of RAM in their phones, it's nice being able to have a ton of stuff open and still have like a gig left to spare.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #613 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 12:45:34 »
I'm thinking of jumping to the iPhone camp now after they got rid of the horrid looking OS, but it's an expensive phone considering the lack of NFC and that I don't use my phone all that often :/

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #614 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 12:50:43 »
I could never go back to an iPhone form factor now, the screen size and ratio just feels cramped now

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #615 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:01:45 »
Yeah it just feels like a toy. Still rocking my Gnex over here, patiently waiting for the Nexus 5.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #616 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:39:36 »
Here's a great smartphone for you all, and a steal at only $65!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49588.0
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #617 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 17:55:43 »
Show Image

Question is, will it blend ??

Offline zemp

• FREE ITENS PLS
« Reply #618 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 23:52:29 »
HUAWEi  acend p6
World's thiniest phone and possibly the more elegant.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #619 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 15:00:39 »
Show Image

Question is, will it blend ??

Buy it, try it, and see!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #620 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 03:45:37 »
ahh cool. so should I recommend it to my dad ? by expensive, how much are we talking about ?  :blank:
Well, I got mine at 300USD, or thereabout....

Offline HackJoe

• MODZERO CUSTOMS
« Reply #621 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 04:33:02 »
I'm using the iPhone 5 32gb black, I've been an iPhone user since the first gen. I'm a fan, but no fanboy.  Almost jumped ship to the Nexus 4 not too long ago after I smashed the screen on my iphone and the nexus was cheaper then it's repair.

Their are many great Android devices out there even a couple nice windows phones. The iPhone 5 is tired looking already id admit, so here's hoping the iPhone 6 is more of a pack leader.

J.
-MODZERO-

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #622 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 09:17:48 »
I fully admit to being an Apple fanboy as I own a MacBook Pro, Airport Extreme Base Station, Airport Express and will be buying an iPad Mini in the coming weeks. However, the iPhone 5/5c/5s and iOS 7 have me less than enthused. The 64 GB iPhone 4S I'm rocking now is going to be hard to top. It's still decently powerful, a great size, durable as heck (important when you're the parent of a toddler), and has great WiFi. If it had 4G/LTE, I would probably never upgrade, but since I'm on Verizon that's not happening.

I normally love to be on the cutting edge with gadgets, but I want to wait and see what Apple has in store with the iPhone 6 and maybe even iOS 8.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #623 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 18:45:06 »

adekvat made a badass edit of one of dan's photos and I couldn't resist [iphone 4]

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #624 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 18:55:10 »
Hoping to upgrade to an s4 or s3 soon. Anyone know of any other good android phone that allow for an sd card? That's a dealbreaker for me, since I want at least 64gigs of storage and prefer external memory.
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #625 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:40:59 »
Hoping to upgrade to an s4 or s3 soon. Anyone know of any other good android phone that allow for an sd card? That's a dealbreaker for me, since I want at least 64gigs of storage and prefer external memory.

Xperia z1?

Offline yester64

« Reply #626 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 21:24:10 »
I'm using the iPhone 5 32gb black, I've been an iPhone user since the first gen. I'm a fan, but no fanboy.  Almost jumped ship to the Nexus 4 not too long ago after I smashed the screen on my iphone and the nexus was cheaper then it's repair.

Their are many great Android devices out there even a couple nice windows phones. The iPhone 5 is tired looking already id admit, so here's hoping the iPhone 6 is more of a pack leader.

J.

I do like the iPhone even though i don't have one. What makes me jealous of it are some of the app and magazines you only get for the iphone.
Currently i have a Nexus 4 which i like even though there are some things i don't. But overall its reliable.
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #627 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 23:07:38 »
My Galaxy Nexus is in pieces at the moment as I'm replacing the headphone jack. So now I'm back to my Nokia E63. Gotta say, I really love having the full qwerty physical keyboard. If the Blackberry Q10 didn't have such a terrible app library and was maybe running Android I'd be all over that in an instant!

MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline Gunni

« Reply #628 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 23:32:21 »
I recently bought an iPhone 3GS from a friend for  $100. Big upgrade from my ancient Nokia.
CM Storm Quickfire TK w/ Browns HHKB Pro 2

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #629 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 04:30:50 »
I recently bought an iPhone 3GS from a friend for  $100. Big upgrade from my ancient Nokia.

!00$ for something so old? :S

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #630 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 04:32:44 »

You'd be surprised what people will still pay for Apple products. I sold my 8GB 3GS a little under a year ago for $250. People are nuts.

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #631 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 04:40:57 »

You'd be surprised what people will still pay for Apple products. I sold my 8GB 3GS a little under a year ago for $250. People are nuts.

Lol We should start to take unused old iphone and sell them XD

Offline redskull

« Reply #632 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 04:48:02 »
Nokia Lumia 920 here. already have an Asus android 10" tablet, so WP is a nice change. saving up for the lumia 1520.  :thumb:

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #633 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 05:04:54 »
Nokia Lumia 920 here. already have an Asus android 10" tablet, so WP is a nice change. saving up for the lumia 1520.  :thumb:
I have the 720 but I am lusting after the 1520 when it comes out. I love the battery life on my current phone but I love making pictures all the time and want something a bit better. Not that the 720's camera is bad, mind you. But it's no 920. :)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #634 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:56:03 »
iPhone 5 64GB White

Had the 4s 64gb black, 4 64gb white, 4 64gb black, 3gs 32gb black.

No interest in the 5s except for the 64 bit OS thats sick. But waiting for the 6 to upgrade. I used to upgrade for a new color! Black to White etc but not anymore. Waste of $ haha

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #635 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:13:33 »
Ive got a samsung windows phone. Theres only one thing i dont like about it, but I cant remember what that is so it's probably not very important.

"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #636 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:41:34 »
Eagerly awaiting the Nexus 5.

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #637 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:25:01 »

Xperia z1?

Impressive.. but it might be out of my price range. I have the sudden desire to take one snorkeling though..
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline BakaPhoenix

« Reply #638 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 05:38:50 »

Xperia z1?

Impressive.. but it might be out of my price range. I have the sudden desire to take one snorkeling though..

To me is one of the best smartphone after any nexus (yes, update from google is better than any other phones XD)

Offline bah

« Reply #639 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:44:45 »
My Nokia 9000i Communicator or my Nokia 9000il Communicator (and they still work on todays network, btw)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #640 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 17:03:47 »

Lol We should start to take unused old iphone and sell them XD

a lot of people do that.

apple still retains their value thanks to hipster scum
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #641 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 04:37:49 »
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with custom ROM.

I like the Sony Z1 Ultra and Note 3, but probably won't be changing my phone for a while. It does everything I want very well.

I have a very strong interest in the Jolla phone, too. It's the one I would get right now if I were to upgrade. It has an open OS based on Linux and has Android App compatibility. Nice UI, too.

Makes me sad to think what Nokia COULD have released by now if they'd stuck with MeeGo instead of switching to Windoze Phone.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #642 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:42:20 »
I have a very strong interest in the Jolla phone, too. It's the one I would get right now if I were to upgrade. It has an open OS based on Linux and has Android App compatibility. Nice UI, too.

Makes me sad to think what Nokia COULD have released by now if they'd stuck with MeeGo instead of switching to Windoze Phone.

Went to a Sailfish SDK installfest yesterday...

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #643 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:00:46 »
Swapped my 16gb Nexus 4 for a 32gb Nexus 5 this week. Way more impressed with the attention to the exterior and Android 4.4.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #644 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 14:20:57 »
Swapped my 16gb Nexus 4 for a 32gb Nexus 5 this week. Way more impressed with the attention to the exterior and Android 4.4.

I feel that the Nexus 4 has a nicer design. I'm not digging the slated Nexus logo tbh. But I can see the front of the Nexus 5 looks nicer tho.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #645 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 17:12:10 »

I feel that the Nexus 4 has a nicer design. I'm not digging the slated Nexus logo tbh. But I can see the front of the Nexus 5 looks nicer tho.

It's just a blank piece of glass, just like the Nexus 4. And Gnex..

Offline jevvix

« Reply #646 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 19:41:23 »
Sgh-t989 checking in. Will use this thing until it breaks.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #647 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 11:05:16 »
I have a Galaxy S4, upgraded a couple months ago from my Dell Streak (oh yeahhh)

Such a huge upgrade. I freaking LOVE Android!!!

Top apps of the moment: Nova Launcher, Feedly (RSS Reader, amazing), Pudding Monsters

Anyone else have an issue with their Gallery generally being a piece? I had to install "QuickPic" to browse my pictures now.
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #648 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 11:43:36 »
Currently using my Samsung Galaxy S4
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #649 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 15:47:32 »

It's just a blank piece of glass, just like the Nexus 4. And Gnex..

gnex screen isn't nice. I've seen it before. and yes it's a blank piece of glass. talking bout the positioning of the camera's & proximity sensors and such. speaking of that, LG's making quality products lately, & it's not just the Nexus series.