Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 142148 times)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #550 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 10:57:59 »
Anyone getting the new iPhones?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #551 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 16:03:58 »
HTC One M7. I like it but have mixed emotions.

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #552 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 21:45:44 »
Samsung Galaxy S3. Have to take it in though because in under 6 months the headphone jack stopped working. Otherwise absolutely love it.

Offline poopmat

« Reply #553 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 22:09:47 »
Nokia 928
REΛLFORCE 103u, Ergodex DX1, IBM model M, Daskeyboard II, QFR brown,

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #554 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 06:18:41 »
Just upgraded from an S4 to a Note 3, also bought a new Shure SE215 to go with it....

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #555 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 06:29:27 »
I flashed SlimBean 4.3 onto my Galaxy Nexus a couple of weeks ago and I'm really loving it. Much more stable than the 4.2.2 Milestone 2 build of AOKP I had on there before.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #556 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 07:43:37 »
HTC Desire, still going strong.

Offline Phedran

• Phedran.com
« Reply #557 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 13:39:06 »
Ugh.. took my Samsung Galaxy S3 in yesterday and they gave me a loaner Samsung Galaxy W phone.. It feels like a brick! And it's like the rental car of cellphones; I don't know where it's been or what it's been used for. :p

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #558 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 14:17:49 »
Just upgraded from an S4 to a Note 3, also bought a new Shure SE215 to go with it....

I like your style.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #559 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 16:39:59 »
iPhone 4 contract is about a year to go.... so maybe I'll replace it with an iPhone 6 maybe
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #560 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 17:02:09 »
iPhone 4 contract is about a year to go.... so maybe I'll replace it with an iPhone 6 maybe

Nah, that's too slow. 6C maybe for teh rainbow kalers.  ^-^
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline yester64

« Reply #561 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 18:30:11 »
I think smartphones are overrated. All i do with mine is using Google Maps.
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline belac

« Reply #562 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 20:23:03 »
You're doing it wrong

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #563 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 20:36:30 »

Yep, that's why I still have my EVO. Calls, email, text, web, Netflix, GPS, music...all smartphones made in the last 4 years (or so) can do it. I guess it's a type of hobby to some people though. Some people constantly buy new keyboards too. ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline yester64

« Reply #564 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 22:04:40 »
You're doing it wrong

What? Google Maps?

Offline yester64

« Reply #565 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 22:06:05 »

Yep, that's why I still have my EVO. Calls, email, text, web, Netflix, GPS, music...all smartphones made in the last 4 years (or so) can do it. I guess it's a type of hobby to some people though. Some people constantly buy new keyboards too. ;)

Well i am not in social web and there is only limited use. There are some app i sometimes use but its not like i make note on the thing and run my life over it.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #566 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 22:40:00 »
I was agreeing with you. There is no practical reason to upgrade your phone every 6 months unless it's broken. A 3 year old smart phone can likely do everything you need or want.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #567 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 23:14:12 »

google maps, skype and reddit for me.

and now im tired of my S4, anybody wanna trade for a htc one?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #568 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 07:52:22 »
notdemik, I feel the same way about my S4. The plastic housing just cheapens the whole thing a little too much. I should've bought the one when I had the chance xD.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #569 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 08:08:39 »
My iPhone 4S served me well. Not sure why did I went for the Nexus 4. Now I'm using my 4S while my Nexus is just taking a long long nap in my cupboard.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline belac

« Reply #570 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 11:11:33 »
You're doing it wrong

What? Google Maps?
No, your smartphone. Smartphones offer a lot of utility and just because you're not taking advantage of it doesn't mean they're overrated :-) Having a point and shoot quality camera alone makes them worth it to most people. But in your case I think it would be worth your time to evaluate what you do in life and how your smartphone could increase the ease with which you do it. Life without my smartphone would cost me more time, money and frustration. But I've been in the smartphone game since the beginning and have had over 50 of them, so I've had a lot of time to make use of them.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #571 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 11:16:18 »
****ty flip fones

Offline ZRock

« Reply #572 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 11:26:53 »
Last 6 months have gone Thunderbolt > Iphone 5 > DNA > SG S4

Offline yester64

« Reply #573 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 12:27:27 »
You're doing it wrong

What? Google Maps?
No, your smartphone. Smartphones offer a lot of utility and just because you're not taking advantage of it doesn't mean they're overrated :-) Having a point and shoot quality camera alone makes them worth it to most people. But in your case I think it would be worth your time to evaluate what you do in life and how your smartphone could increase the ease with which you do it. Life without my smartphone would cost me more time, money and frustration. But I've been in the smartphone game since the beginning and have had over 50 of them, so I've had a lot of time to make use of them.

Well i grand you that there is use in a smartphone. And i admit that its me that can not make a good use out of it.
See, i tried twitter and there is actually a good use in it. For example getting newsflashs about weather or earthquakes. Another one is, i paid for it, geocaching. Altough i am somewhat inactive at the moment it is pretty fun.
And i do use Google in my life. Google Voice is another service i use a lot.
But i know i used to use the phone more in the beginning. Now i have certain task where i use it and then most of the time i don't. And what makes me really shake my head is that people taking sides on what phone to use (Android/iOS). It is a annoying thing to me.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #574 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 12:36:02 »
notdemik, I feel the same way about my S4. The plastic housing just cheapens the whole thing a little too much. I should've bought the one when I had the chance xD.
You know I thought that was going to annoy me but it hasn't. Aside from a hollow sound/feeling it has when the motor vibrates it doesn't really bother me.  I just want to try something new.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #575 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:37:52 »
To be honest, I'm going to ditch the whole smartphone thing soon. I'm sick of those unpractical surveillance devices. My life has become so much better since I got rid of at least the data plan. All I need 90 % of time is OpenPandora, alarms clock and occasionally a durable dumbphone anyway.

Offline yester64

« Reply #576 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:09:40 »
To be honest, I'm going to ditch the whole smartphone thing soon. I'm sick of those unpractical surveillance devices. My life has become so much better since I got rid of at least the data plan. All I need 90 % of time is OpenPandora, alarms clock and occasionally a durable dumbphone anyway.

Its very hard to ditch something you got accustomed to. I like gps navigation but if i would to ditch my smartphone i had to go to a stupid gps unit.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #577 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 00:17:19 »
...which is more durable and has longer batter life—at least in case of the outdoor ones. Moreover, it features probably a better GPS module and the same or better maps.

Seriously, battery life on smartphones is pathetic. Sleep as Android has just sucked 30 % of my phone's battery in only one night, and that's a lot, considering it can run for almost a week otherwise.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #578 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 04:02:21 »

Well if you don't day trade and check ur stocks at street lights, data is pretty useless..

Offline zenuty

• WTS : Duck, Pla, Acrylic 3 Pokers
« Reply #579 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 04:31:47 »
Wow Many people use to samsung phone.
Metoo  ;D
LINE ID : zenuty
Skype ID : zenuty
www.facebook.com/zenuty

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #580 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 09:46:00 »
...which is more durable and has longer batter life—at least in case of the outdoor ones. Moreover, it features probably a better GPS module and the same or better maps.

Seriously, battery life on smartphones is pathetic. Sleep as Android has just sucked 30 % of my phone's battery in only one night, and that's a lot, considering it can run for almost a week otherwise.

Then join a smartphone OEM and use your amazing insight to change the game and make the battery last a week.
Russ

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #581 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 09:48:02 »
Had a DROID 4, but then I got downgraded to a dumbphone cuz I couldn't pay my part of the cell phone bill...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline vatin

« Reply #582 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:07:28 »
Got a nexus 4 2 weeks ago. Love everything about this phone. Excellent bang for the buck. I'll stay with this for at least 2 years.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #583 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:08:37 »
Congrats, great phone. I'm currently waiting for the Nexus 5 to be released. Should be a big step up from my Galaxy Nexus.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #584 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 11:09:08 »
Got a nexus 4 2 weeks ago. Love everything about this phone. Excellent bang for the buck. I'll stay with this for at least 2 years.

Good choice. I have one. But I thought people would wait for the next nexus  :blank:

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #585 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:50:43 »

Then join a smartphone OEM and use your amazing insight to change the game and make the battery last a week.

Not sure if trolling...

My 4-year-old Nokia 5800 could last about a week. The same use-case. It was actually a much better phone than those "smart" devices nowadays. I'd love to see something with with that good (and especially loud) speaker.

Seriously? 30 % of battery capacity lost because of just few alarms and otherwise idle? (Yep, I've even seen a poll... Android 4.x phones consumed 15–30 % in one night just idling.)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #586 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 14:56:02 »
I was trolling a bit.  You made the comment that it took 30% of the battery while sleeping.  The device is not sleeping at all.  The display happens to be off, but there is plenty going on in the background.  You may have some control over some of these services, depending on your device and what software is installed.

If you just want a phone then buy a "feature phone".  It's operational and power model is mainly driven by the cellular network it is communicating with.  Any add-on features, like web browsing, are tacked onto the side and are often very limited in their functionality as a result.

If you want a pocket computer that includes a cellular modem that happens to use the same network as a cellular phone, buy a smart phone.  These devices are like laptops.  They sleep as much as they can, but wake often because of the background work that has to be done to provide the services that are expected on such a device.  The cellular modem inside is working much the same as the phone you used to have, though it works a lot harder because of many active data connections held open by services running on the device.

It sounds like you bought the wrong type of device.  It helps to understand the trade offs when making such a decision.

Russ

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #587 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 15:17:24 »

Any cellular phone, dumb or smart, can be used to track and record the user...even if they are turned off.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2013, 15:21:51 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline heissler

• I engineer invisible stuff
« Reply #588 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:17:05 »

Any cellular phone, dumb or smart, can be used to track and record the user...even if they are turned off.

Remove the battery if you want to be safe ^_^
Has trouble not spending money on keyboards

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #589 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:26:44 »
^ inb4 iPhone.  :p

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #590 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:33:51 »
Another reason that iPhones blow. :)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline heissler

• I engineer invisible stuff
« Reply #591 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:46:29 »

About 500ml water in an appropriate cup does the trick too. Easy because the iOS also waterproofs the iPhone, right? RIGHT?
Has trouble not spending money on keyboards

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #592 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 18:23:05 »

About 500ml water in an appropriate cup does the trick too. Easy because the iOS also waterproofs the iPhone, right? RIGHT?

Idk mate. Do us a favor and try it ?  :p  ;)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #593 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 18:45:21 »
WTT: GALAXY S4 FOR HTC ONE

Offline yester64

« Reply #594 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 20:04:01 »

Normally the only one that tracks you is your provider and that may be correct. But smartphones give companies many more options and more precision to track people in any way. I don't think anyone can throw both in the same basket for that reason.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #595 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 08:14:50 »

Normally the only one that tracks you is your provider and that may be correct. But smartphones give companies many more options and more precision to track people in any way. I don't think anyone can throw both in the same basket for that reason.

I think they all use the same tracking mechanism.  Cellular carriers had to come up with a solution to be compliant with E911 locating regulations, so they opted for the cheapest possible answer; GPS chips in every phone.  They work even if the phone is off as long as the battery is in place.  All phones made after 2000 (?) have these installed - even phones that don't feature GPS mapping.

I think the primary difference between "smart" and "dumb" phones has to do with additional features that don't necessarily relate to placing phone calls; cameras, ability to run user-installed software, etc.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #596 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 09:13:00 »
I mean stuff like Motorola is listening.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #597 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 09:34:43 »

I think what you are referring to there is software, services, and software-as-a-service. Such things are not only ubiquitous and are not limited to smart phones, but are examples of bad security implementation and the ever increasing collection of personal information by companies. If that's what you are concerned about you need to get rid of all of your Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Blackberry devices and services ASAP.

SSKs for everyone!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #598 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 13:33:09 »
Well, this isn't bad security design. It's malice. Phones and cars are the most obvious targets.

Offline yester64

« Reply #599 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 21:53:40 »

I think what you are referring to there is software, services, and software-as-a-service. Such things are not only ubiquitous and are not limited to smart phones, but are examples of bad security implementation and the ever increasing collection of personal information by companies. If that's what you are concerned about you need to get rid of all of your Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Blackberry devices and services ASAP.

There are people that do in consequence of all this. Reject everything. In reality, its possible to a certain degree. But even if you use your computer you are tracked. You buy something online or, even offline in any store. You are getting tracked.
We are in fact as clear as a window. I am not sure how someone can prevent this. It is maybe to late already. And most people do not care. Another sad truth.
But as a sidefact. If you use as i do google maps on a regular basis, google know where you are heading and how long you stayed and what you did. I am not implying anything here but state just whats possible.
Like i said, its hard to reject what you are accustomed to.