Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 143041 times)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #450 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 11:59:20 »
my iphone 4 just died last night
the screen started to flicker green and blue as i was browsing twitter
then everything just went black
the next hour it would blink white sometimes, but this thing is ****ing broken

RIP Dec 2010- August 2013

idk if/when im getting a new phone LOL

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #451 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 12:08:30 »
I'm still chugging along on my LG G2x, beat up and scratched as it may be.   ;D

Holding out for the Samsung Note III, whenever that hits preorder status.  I hear rumors it could have 1080p resolution, which would be great for streaming videos.

We shall see.   :cool:

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #452 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 14:18:42 »
I guess I can officially say this now:  Moto X (white on white on white, 16GB).
Russ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #453 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 14:22:46 »
I guess I can officially say this now:  Moto X (white on white on white, 16GB).

:eek:

Offline SidusNare

• Do, or do not; there is no try.
« Reply #454 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 14:28:14 »
Galaxy S3

Still have my old Droid X as WiFi only at home, have the car mount for it mounted on my desk, I use it for some android dev work and pandora
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. -- H. Poincare

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #455 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 17:59:54 »
I use the trusty old Western Electric 500 phone. I call those the "smart" phones because they never break.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #456 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 23:51:24 »
Ok, getting a new phone this weekend with Sprint (yes I know, they only have 3g in my area, but my wife needs unlimited data and I don't want to spend $500 on a phone from Virgin). 

We are trying to decide what phones to get.  They are currently running a deal for a pair of Samsung S4's for $199.  For the same price we can also do the iPhone 4s.  Any thoughts?
Here is the list of phones available:  http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_wall.jsp?INTNAV=TSC:IWT_020111_Phones
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 August 2013, 10:18:54 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #457 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 23:15:03 »
iphone 5...

that i already dropped.

smallfry would have laughed at me lol :(
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline germy

« Reply #458 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 23:25:57 »
I'm on an iPhone 5 too. Home button is starting to lose responsiveness after about 8 months of use.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #459 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 23:56:38 »
Droid X.  I pressed the screen too hard and now it has 4 black spots on it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #460 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 00:38:31 »
Ok, getting a new phone this weekend with Sprint (yes I know, they only have 3g in my area, but my wife needs unlimited data and I don't want to spend $500 on a phone from Virgin). 

We are trying to decide what phones to get.  They are currently running a deal for a pair of Samsung S4's for $199.  For the same price we can also do the iPhone 4s.  Any thoughts?
Here is the list of phones available:  http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_wall.jsp?INTNAV=TSC:IWT_020111_Phones

That almost comes down to the apple vs android argument.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #461 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 00:54:47 »

Yeah, I know.  I have always liked my android phones, and my wife really likes her current iPhone 4.  She has played with mine, and with her doing basically only IG, email, words with friends, and facebook, she was fine with it.  Unfortunately, she uses about 5-7gb of data a month (she is currently on an unlimited data plan with Verizon on her parents plan).  She has to use her phone for work and is on the internet constantly without wi-fi.   Far from a power user for sure.  We are going in the morning to play with all of them at the store and see what she likes. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #462 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 01:07:59 »

Yeah, I know.  I have always liked my android phones, and my wife really likes her current iPhone 4.  She has played with mine, and with her doing basically only IG, email, words with friends, and facebook, she was fine with it.  Unfortunately, she uses about 5-7gb of data a month (she is currently on an unlimited data plan with Verizon on her parents plan).  She has to use her phone for work and is on the internet constantly without wi-fi.   Far from a power user for sure.  We are going in the morning to play with all of them at the store and see what she likes.

That's the best thing to do!

Offline godly_music

« Reply #463 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 02:51:04 »
I use the trusty old Western Electric 500 phone. I call those the "smart" phones because they never break

<3

Offline Toad1677

« Reply #464 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 10:49:36 »
Upgraded to a HTC One recently and I'm loving it. So much better then my old iPhone
QFR MX Blue, Blackbird MX Blue, KBP V60 MX Green, KUL ES-87 MX Green, Pok3r Mx Clear

Offline tns

« Reply #465 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 12:43:35 »
I have a Galaxy Note II with the ROM "JellyBean's" installed. Best phone I've ever owned.
Since Galaxy Notes III is coming any further comment about pros/cons of the Galaxy Note II??

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #466 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 23:35:52 »
Ok, went with the s4 and really like it so far.

Offline bear95

« Reply #467 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 07:01:44 »
Got s4 lte-a and trying to root it. Model name is e330l and have no idea which files to get :(

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #468 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 10:21:04 »
There is no root for the LTE-A as yet, too new and too uncommon.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bear95

« Reply #469 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 18:07:20 »
There is no root for the LTE-A as yet, too new and too uncommon.
Ah... so regardless of other versions of the s4, files are different for every model... darn.

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #470 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 20:33:16 »
SGS3
Android 4.2.2
Liquid Smooth ROM

Here are some shots from the device  ;D.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #471 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 20:51:10 »
SGS3
Android 4.2.2
Liquid Smooth ROM

Show Image

wow..thats really really pretty :D

Offline Glissant

« Reply #472 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:38:23 »
Nice setup, KaLam1ty. Inspired me to post what my screen looks like too. Not in such a fancy way, but here it is:
SGS4 running TWLight (4.2.2) and KT-SGS4 kernel. Nova launcher with a zooper widget and uccw widget. Icon pack is called Kei icon pack.

(I almost drive my wife insane with how many times I change my layout though, so this might not survive long.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:40:38 by Glissant »

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #473 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:46:42 »
I've considered getting an Android phone, but decided I'd rather have a mini-tablet (a phone without the cellular radio... with just Wifi and Bluetooth).

These would be the criteria:

1. Easily removable battery (never operate/buy a machine you can't simply un-plug)

2. 4-5" multitouch screen

3. USB charging and SD ports

4. Supported by a community distro like CyanogenMod

An actual phone wouldn't be bad either, as long as I could be sure the radio would stay off.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline GeekMark2

« Reply #474 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 10:47:35 »
SGS3
Android 4.2.2
Liquid Smooth ROM

Show Image

Wow! THose are pretty amazing. I'm on an iPhone 4s at the moment, but thinking about getting the Nokia Lumia, apparently it has a great camera...I am not all that impressed with the iPhone camera!

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #475 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 13:09:06 »
The lumia is a great device, and WP8 is a beautiful OS. I had the 900 then the 920 before swtiching back to the iphone5, but that was mostly for work reasons. i needed to be able to test an ios7 device.

the only problem i had with the lumias and wp in general is that its got the same problem android had a few years ago. not a lot of apps and not terrible impressive overall quality of 3rd party apps. some are gorgeous, and wp really provides most of the functionality youd want without 3rd party, but ios really leaves it in the dust.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #476 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 13:11:59 »
HTC HD2 (The U.S. T-mo edition with larger internal memory)--still haven't found a reason to upgrade.  Came with Windows 6.5, but I've had various Android ROMs on it from the beginning.  Currently a standard-ish 4.2.2 ROM (had MIUI before).  Great screen, fairly good battery life.  Looks like there've been Ubuntu developments for it as well, which I might try at some point once they look more polished.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 August 2013, 13:13:41 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #477 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:40:04 »
Nexus 4.
Nexus leads the way.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #478 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:01:31 »

ayyyy new phone
old vs new

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #479 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 23:56:06 »
Has anyone here looked at the FairPhone?

http://www.fairphone.com/

Its going to be all open source, with removable battery, dual SIM, Android 4.2. I'd love to get one but for now its EU-only.

Demo units supposed to be ready in September.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #480 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 08:36:03 »
I've had exactly 3 phones: Some old ZTE flip phone, Nokia E63, Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Galaxy Nexus is running AOKP, Android 4.2.2.

I really miss having the physical qwerty keypad that the E63 has. I could type faster and more accurately on that thing than on any touch keypad. Though I am loving SwiftKey Flow at the moment.

Screenshot of my home screen:
31471-0
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline bear95

« Reply #481 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 06:27:09 »
Need some advice.
I've done research online and come to the conclusion updating my rom from 4.2.2 to 4.3 doesn't require root?
Only reason I need root is to uninstall bloatware but if I flash rom it wipes all my data right? Meaning I don't have to worry about bloatware meaning root isn't necessary.
I understand that root is different for each device but is it the same with flashing a custom rom?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #482 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 06:29:15 »
Root is just Root access. You can have root with Stock ROM. Google your phone "stock rom carrier"
SmallFry! <3

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #483 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:01:50 »
The process of getting root on a stock ROM is typically very close to flashing a non-stock ROM.  Also, I haven't heard of a non-stock that doesn't also come with root as-is.

On a side note, getting anything recent on my Fascinate was fricking torture.  Best I could do is an old pre-10 of CM.  Every other ROM claiming to be for the Fascinate choked for one reason or another.  All I wanted was  consistent UI so my kids don't get confused when they go to use it.  It's going to be my living room remote.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #484 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 11:51:22 »
Cm 10 buggy for you also?
SmallFry! <3

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #485 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:12:49 »
Considering it's some weird unofficial release dated 8/19/2012 and I can't get the play store installed... it's really stable since there's nothing running.  :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline bear95

« Reply #486 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 01:28:50 »
Two questions...
According to this page on cyanogenmod
http://stats.cyanogenmod.org/
The majority of people install the nightly versions which are very unstable right? Do most people just deal with it?

How hard is it build your own recovery and rom? Can't find anything available for my phone since...
 1 its new
 2 its available in one country
 3 in this country there are 3 providers and the firmware is different for each one.
So I'm feeling that waiting for a release is going to take a real long time or not gonna happen at all. I have basic java programming knowledge and I believe I'm gonna have a lot of free time freshmen year in college according to my seniors :P.

Offline uzoc

« Reply #487 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 10:18:00 »
Palm Pixi! Better battery, keyboard, thinner and lighter than Palm/HP Pre. 

Offline rolito223

« Reply #488 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 19:21:58 »
ufff... my history: n95 8gb, bb8520, motorola milestone, nokia n8, motorola atrix, motorola defy, motorola milestone again, bb9700, and now motorola razr i.

many thanks! :D

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 23:19:01 »
I have a Droid X.  I'm on the Verizon unlimited plan, but I use less than 1 Gb a month.  I'm considering getting a subsidized phone and leaving the unlimited plan.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #490 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 15:13:44 »
Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I was going to get the Nexus 4 but meh, the glass back put me off. I'll just wait for the Nexus 5.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #491 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 18:03:41 »
Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I was going to get the Nexus 4 but meh, the glass back put me off. I'll just wait for the Nexus 5.

The non-removable battery is what turned me off. That and the specs weren't much better really.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline Obakemono

« Reply #492 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:08:57 »
I have had:

iPhone 3gs > iPhone 4 > iPhone 5 (with iOS 7  :p)

I'm very happy with it (despite not being "open", but android isn't for me), and iOS 7 brings some nice fresh air.

BUT when this sexy beast gets released, it's gonna be the thing changing my mind

Offline bear95

« Reply #493 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 06:11:28 »
Nexus 4 price drop!
Hoping new phone is coming out soon (hopefully with sd card and more durability). Im tempted to sell my s4.

Offline N8N

« Reply #494 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 06:35:00 »
I finally bit the bullet and signed a new contract so I could get a "free" "upgrade" a few months ago.

My phones:

(a bunch of dumb phones) > HTC Evo > Motorola Photon 4G > Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE

I miss the Photon, but Sprint finally went to 4G LTE so I had to upgrade to the Q.  The phone feels like a downgrade overall though with non-replaceable battery and no SIM card.  Also, the on screen keyboard is ****e, the Photon was better, but the Q has physical keyboard.  Q is not bad but...

I am pretty much a Motorola fanboi, everything else has disappointed me.  Got rid of the Evo because it couldn't charge fast enough; in the car running Trapster, Waze, or any other GPS enabled app I would need to take several spare batteries with me for a 4-hour road trip because it'd keep running them dry even when plugged in, that was its main failing.  I passed it onto a friend who had a phone incident before her contract was up and she loves it though. *shrug*
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #495 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 11:45:13 »
Nexus 4 price drop!
Hoping new phone is coming out soon (hopefully with sd card and more durability). Im tempted to sell my s4.

SD is over, google-"designed" devices will not have SD.  Don't know why?  exFat
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #496 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 11:46:00 »
iphone 5 now....
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #497 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 11:54:36 »
Nexus 4 price drop!

No more SD Cards in Nexus devices because Google is trying to push Google Drive.

IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #498 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 11:56:20 »

The non-removable battery is what turned me off. That and the specs weren't much better really.

Well they doubled the RAM and CPU, and put a nice IPS display on it, which were all good selling points but like you said, no removable battery is a big no no for me as well. And when the phone was first released you should have seen XDA - people were posting pictures of their new phones with a broken back within the first two weeks. I was like, hnnng.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #499 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 11:56:28 »
Nexus 4 price drop!

No more SD Cards in Nexus devices because Google is trying to push Google Drive.

THAT'S STUPID. ARE THEY TRYING TO BE LIKE APPLE OR SOMETHING?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS