Author Topic: health impact of mechanical keyboards vs. rubber domes, etc.  (Read 4478 times)

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
health impact of mechanical keyboards vs. rubber domes, etc.
« on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 13:30:06 »
so, my left index finger is in a splint right now from repeatedly smashing my hands into a keyboard 24 hours a day for the better part of 15 years.  it's not too bad, but i figured i'd better let it rest for a while.  as much as we may all love plate-mounted thick doubleshot keycaps, i'm wondering if anyone has really taken a look at the implications of this as opposed to a possibly softer landing on a rubber dome or flexible membrane.

are o-rings the answer?  pcb mounted switches?  robot hands?  who knows!

just kind of wondering what others thoughts on this may be.

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
Re: health impact of mechanical keyboards vs. rubber domes, etc.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 13:35:21 »
just dont bottom out?

or go with smoother switches

as for health impact, I think general ergonomics like wrist rest, height of keyboard, placement of arms, height of table etc affects your health alot more (yes in your hands too!) then the keyboard itself

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 13:36:15 »
As I've stated before, I personally have problems with plate-mounted MX switches after long hours of typing.  I really liked the soft feel of the Poker when I had it because of the PCB mount, but I just couldn't get used to the layout.

The partial plate on the Cheat seems ideal for me. I also think the PLUM 96 is a viable option for me to try next (and probably easier to get).
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 13:36:49 »
Stop raging on your keyboard.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 13:39:54 »
Well, when you think about it, rubber domes are more healthy... they are less addicting than mechanical keyboards.  And I'm sure we all know how unhealthy addictions are...

*Says Dr. House whilst popping some Vicodin...*
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 13:45:41 »
I've had a lot less hand/finger/wrist pain since I've been using MX. But I generally don't bottom out and use pcb mount 90% of the time. I also primarily use red boards, but also blue, and very infrequently black. All of my keyboards have Cherry doubleshot or dyseub keycaps. I prefer Cherry profile as I find them more comfortable, but they also of course look great as an added bonus.

I had to use a domes board for a short time when I started my first office job in many years recently. That time was not pleasant as my hands hurt a lot at the end of the day due to having to crush the barely responsive domes into the desk to make it work. Fighting to get permisson to use 'non standard equipment' was defineatly worth the hassle though.
Domes are defineatly a lot harder in my view due to having to bottom out quite hard in comparison to get keystroke to even register. All of that impact is not good on joints.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 October 2012, 13:47:44 by lysol »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 13:53:06 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 09:36:21 by esoomenona »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 14:15:37 »
The best thing I've ever done for my professional career was learning to type properly in 8th grade. Most people I see typing make me cringe. They're usually so tense, and keep their fingers stiff and bang on the keys much harder than they need to.

Typing with relaxed fingers, applying only as much pressure as needed to register the stroke, has allowed me to be on a keyboard every day for much the same time, without any pain or complications (except for when I recently went back to a rubber dome, go figure!).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 14:18:41 »
I have not suffered with this, thankfully, but O-rings certainly remove a good deal of the "shock" inflicted on those of us who do bottom out.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Saturn

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 15:21:52 »
The basic movements used in typing aren't too different from the basic movements involved in playing the piano.  With the exception of course that pianists typically need to apply far more force in order for the key to actuate, and also need to incorporate a vast repertoire of movements into their playing which typists will never use.  Nevertheless, the basic positioning and usage of the fingers, arms, and hands is similar.

Many pianists develop RSI, and many do not.  Similarly, many typists develop RSI, and many do not.  People can ask all sorts of questions about whether the making the key action lighter or developing a different layout might help, or whether the hard landing of bottoming out on a plate would be contributing to it.

The answer is the same in both cases.  It is the technique at fault, not the equipment.  If the technique is poor, then changing the equipment may help, but it won't get to the root of the problem.  If the technique is good, nearly any set of equipment is safe to use.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 16:52:00 »
I have not suffered with this, thankfully, but O-rings certainly remove a good deal of the "shock" inflicted on those of us who do bottom out.

I tried those. Gave me the same feeling as nails on a chalkboard.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 17:08:13 »
Get a 45g topre keyboard.  Softest landing ever.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 16:20:59 »
Practice float typing where you press only halfway down until the key actuates, but don't bottom it out. Add O-rings to dampen out the shock in case you do bottom out. O-rings would make plate vs PCB boards feel the same in terms of shock. That way you can actually choose any MX switch KB you want, because there are very few PCB mounted boards in TKL and full size.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 October 2012, 16:22:40 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline Magna224

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:16:42 »
Bottoming out hard on cherry switches hurts my fingers too when I have to press keys hundreds of times a minute. Clears help prevent bottoming  or at least soften it for me quite well.

Edit: Topres are excellent at it too like was previously mentioned
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:19:00 by Magna224 »
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:57:03 »
The reason I switch to mechanical is no need to bottom out. If you are used to bottom out, then try topre switch.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....