Author Topic: Dell AT101W Key caps  (Read 7839 times)

Offline mironccr345

Dell AT101W Key caps
« on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 09:52:49 »
Hey guys! I recently cleaned my Dell key-caps, when lost the "f" key....or maybe misplaced it? I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get custom key caps for Black Alps Switch's? I've only seen one person who had a custom "Esc" key. But it was from 2010 and on YouTube. I hope some one here can help me out? I'm currently using the "PageDown" key as a substitute. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Dell AT101W Key caps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 10:00:51 »
There was an "interest check" thread a while ago about an ALPS group buy. Wasn't enough interest.

If you are looking for different caps (or replacing missing ones) you can get some off of other 101s. There are black and white 101s and rebrands by HP, Fujitsu and a few others, iirc.

You can also try to get your hands on other keys from boards with ALPS or ALPS "clones". For example, I have a chicony 5181 and a 7000 (sick thick doubleshots but odd layout and some strange sized keys) that I can swap caps with onto my 101.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 13:32:42 »
PM me your address, I have a set of ALPS caps from an AT101W that I can send you.  I was in the middle of customizing one and had it disassembled, and my dog decided to eat the PS2 cable.  I was going to just replace the cable, but I have two more AT101s I can play with, and your board looks too nice to be missing a cap  ;).  The caps are in great shape.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 14:25:06 »
OMFG DiNOC on that keyboard looks dead sexy.  I need to do this to my spare Zenith board. Was it hard/expensive to do?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 05:28:58 »
That wrap looks very sexy! I'd like to know more about it as well ^^

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 06:09:40 »
That wrap looks very sexy! I'd like to know more about it as well ^^

Damn, who would of thought that wrapping up a Dell could create such a brilliant looking keyboard.  Nice one.  8)

Offline mironccr345

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 20:25:02 »
@absyrd I appriciate the info. I was considering getting another beat up AT101W just for spare parts, but I didn't like the fact of buying one for spare parts. I'll look into those boards with Alps Clones. Thanks again.

@thebeargentile PM sent. Thanks a lot!

@AKIMbO Seen you on OCN in the Mech Thread.  ;D Just got a 24"x12" roll on amazon for 12.00 bucks. Never done it before, and I thought it would be fairly easy.  :eek: Boy was I wrong. It took some time and the corners were a pain. All you'll need is a hair dryer, razor blade and some patience. The end result it worth it.

@Paranoid Thanks for the kind words. ^ Also, the good thing about the DiNoc, is if you mess up, turn on the hair dryer, heat it up and peel it off. Then try again until your satisfied of where it will lay.

@Elrick I know right! I use it at work and love looking at it.

I appriciate the kind words! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-3M-DI-NOC-Carbon-CA-421/dp/B0062A7M2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350090731&sr=8-1&keywords=Di+noc

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 20:53:35 »
Considering Absyrd's comment about non-Alps boards, if you get your hands on a Chicony 5181 don't you dare do anything to it but clean it carefully and start using it.

That is a far better and rarer board than the AT101 if it has blue Monterey switches!
“This isn’t the same Trump that got elected in 2016, he’s worse.”
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”
“What kind of man is this?”  Biden asked. — June 3, 2024