Author Topic: Best mouse for fingertip user?  (Read 27506 times)

Offline Melchior

Best mouse for fingertip user?
« on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 19:30:15 »
I use my mouse by holding it with my fingertips, thumb and pinky mostly.

I'd like to know whats the modern replacement for a logitech MX310 ?

Ideally the same shape and weight as that mouse (which seems to be discontinued - no surprise).

I don't want: blinky lights, 30 macro buttons, useless LCD/LED indicators, steel/aluminium body, fans...

It must have a sane HID device profile out-of-the box, standard USB HID protocol, ~7 buttons (omron switches or similar).

What I'd really like to find is a mouse with the track-wheel on the side instead of the middle, and the middle mouse button where it used to belong, between the other two.
Ducky ONE    |   CM Recon

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Best mouse for fingertip user?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 19:45:26 »
Maybe look at the CM Storm mice the Xornet and the Spawn i think.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 19:45:56 »
Or if you want 3 button look at the G600 but that kinda breaks your standard mouse thing.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 19:56:53 »
I found the spawn difficult to fingertip grip properly because of the ring finger rest. Take a look at the abyssus, sensei raw, and g9x

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 19:59:15 »
CM Storm Spawn user here, and it's the best mouse I've ever used by far.  The sensor is soooooo silky smooth (I have 5760x1200 eyefinity and keep it on 3500 dpi exclusively when not gaming).

EDIT: The ring finger rest works very well for me, but I have pretty large hands.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:24:07 »
The new CM Storm Recon might be what you're looking for, I think originally it was designed for fingertip then later on they just call it "all grip style".

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 00:08:35 »
Razer Taipan, one of Razer's newer mice, also seems to be a pretty good finger tip mouse.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:34:15 »
I saw Taipan at the store the other day, does seem to be pretty good finger tip mouse.  Very long and narrow, and low in height.  Though since it look pretty long so I'd assume it would be better for people with large hands.

Oh this guy posted some review pics on CM Storm Recon from OCN:  http://www.overclock.net/t/1203798/cm-storm-recon/180

His G3 should be close enough to your MX310.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 15:47:47 »
The Abysuss is nice, I have owned one myself. It is very light.

I like it in every way except the microswitch or the way it was implemented hurts my fingers after long periods of use.

No software needed!

And the click is kind of loud.

I was wanting to look at the Razer Salmosa, it is one of the smallest gaming mouse on the market(if you buy the Korean edition).
It is even lighter than the Abysuss but I'm afraid of getting that loud aching micro switch.
(anyone know a way to resolve a loud/hard microswitch?)

SmallFry! <3

Offline Leewei

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 16:06:21 »
Logitech g9x. You can have a choice of variety of grips. It has up to 5600dpi. You can adjust the weight on it. Personally, I don't use any of the grips so it is a very small and narrow mouse but perfect for a claw grip user. Also, it has a really nice and light click when you press down the mouse buttons.

Cons for me would be the middle scroll isn't quite as nice as a standard mouse.

Overall, for gaming it's perfect =)
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 18:07:43 »
Go with the classic Logitech MX518 or G400. Very similar shape to your MX310, and little to no silly gamer bling, especially on the G400.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 18:12:18 »
CM Recon looks like a good choice. I can't wait until a local store can stock so I can try it out.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 18:22:58 »
I use pretty much the exact same grip, with some ring finger in there, and I've managed with a G500 and the MX518 before it for a few years now.  The extra sensitivity options are actually quite useful and you get used to them very easily if you're sophisticated enough to grip 'em that way. ;)

Also you pretty much buy one and have free mice for life since I'm on my third warranty replacement now, thanks Logitech!

Offline tcv

Re: Re: Best mouse for fingertip user?
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:41:23 »
I use my mouse by holding it with my fingertips, thumb and pinky mostly.

I'd like to know whats the modern replacement for a logitech MX310 ?

Ideally the same shape and weight as that mouse (which seems to be discontinued - no surprise).

I don't want: blinky lights, 30 macro buttons, useless LCD/LED indicators, steel/aluminium body, fans...

It must have a sane HID device profile out-of-the box, standard USB HID protocol, ~7 buttons (omron switches or similar).

What I'd really like to find is a mouse with the track-wheel on the side instead of the middle, and the middle mouse button where it used to belong, between the other two.

Zowie mico
Razer Abyssus
Logitech G9X

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 21:02:39 »
Some palm grip are very comfortable too, I am a claw-grip. Performance mx was my old mouse. A very nice one but it is wireless which means you have to recharge it.
I have heard good things about the Razer DeathAddder.
The Razer Orochi looks cool(it is bluetooth).
Logitech, Microsoft and others like it make some nice non-gaming mouse but they lack the Teflon pads which make a difference, you can always add on your own Teflon pads.

I am currently using the Razer Lacheisis and even though it is specified as a palm/finger-tip mouse it is a really bad design.
SmallFry! <3

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 23:13:16 »
+1 for deathadder and g9x
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 23:28:13 »
Deathadder is hard as hell to use for fingergrip... as far as Razer products go, Salmosa (has a low DPI though), Abyssus, and that new mouse are really good for fingergrip. I'm using an Abyssus myself for finer grip at the moment, no complaints with it.
I love Elzy

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 23:57:49 »
Deathadder is hard as hell to use for fingergrip... as far as Razer products go, Salmosa (has a low DPI though), Abyssus, and that new mouse are really good for fingergrip. I'm using an Abyssus myself for finer grip at the moment, no complaints with it.

I use palm/fingers on the web and Fingertip When gaming. I have never used the Death adder. Just don't get the Lachesis.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 01:04:01 »

I use palm/fingers on the web and Fingertip When gaming. I have never used the Death adder. Just don't get the Lachesis.

Totally forgot about this mouse. The Logitech G300, A very light mouse. Small design and looks quite ergonomic. 
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 15:40:34 »
I find the shape of G300 to be kind of weird, like I have small hands but even so I still find it too small for me.  Feels more like a laptop mouse >_____>

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 16:24:02 »
I dont like anything about the G300 period

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 23:38:44 »
I find the shape of G300 to be kind of weird, like I have small hands but even so I still find it too small for me.  Feels more like a laptop mouse >_____>

The smaller the better? I am a Fan of small things, keyboards, mouse. haha.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 10:07:25 »
The smaller the better? I am a Fan of small things, keyboards, mouse. haha.

I used to think the same way because I have smaller hand compare to most.  But then I realize after one point if it gets too small it just give you hand cramps.  So you still have to find the "right size".

For me Spawn/Xornet/G9X is as small as I'll go, and Naga/Kana/MX300/Recon is as big as I'll go.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2012, 10:09:35 by Hyde »

Offline tcv

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:22:01 »

DA is a big mouse imo. If your hand is big enough though it's a great mouse.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:30:13 »

DA is maybe not great for finger-tipping, but it's not bad for claw-gripping:
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:32:39 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 01:41:09 »

Very nice informative video. Small tip,(I do the same thing in videos) there is a lot of studding at least in the beginning, try writing some notes. :). (not saying I am one to talk but I do the same thing).

Looks very comfortable to "claw-grip" and even "finger-tip grip". That mouse looks too small to palm, at least with my hands. My old mouse was the Logitech Performance MX and boy did I fingertip that mouse when things got intense. If your fingers are large enough to arc over the mouse then it is a finger-tip mouse.(Some of you may say I am wrong but I held that mouse all three ways.)
I think a factor that a lot of people forget is the actuation force of the mouse button itself.(which isn't the only factor of course). The lighter it is to click the mouse the further back you can hold it. I could actuate my Performance MX from pretty far back which means I could finger-tip my mouse If I held it far back enough. It was a very precise mouse too. I would say the bigger your hand, the more mouses you can finger-tip.(girl-hands probably couldn't fingertip it)

The arc of the mouse seems to be important. Not too big and not too small. I had the Performance MX Which had a large arc that tilted to the right a little bit.(That was a little too steep for me.) One of the current mouses I have is the Razer Abysuss and that is very flat. Without a natural downward arc it takes quite a bit of energy to focus around the mouse. Although Finger-tipping is the only way to hold an Abyssus, I don't do my normal finger-tipping. I normally like to use my thumb and pinky to throw my mouse around. With the square-ish form factor it is not what I do, I move my whole arm more or less than just a flick of my thumb and pinky.

Another factor would be weight and not just over-all weight, but where it is distributed. Where the most weight is, is where is will turn from. Also the distance of the laser or optical sensor from the turning point.

I have the Razer Lachesis and it is very hard for me to fingertip the mouse because the mouse is so long and so flat on the top. The weight of the mouse is at the back and the laser is further back than front. If I were to Fingertip this mouse using my favorite method(thumb and pinky twisting) I would move very awkward and not that percise. If I moved my fingers up more I would simply not be able to Finger-tip grip due to the back of the mouse hitting my palm.(Itwould have to be a palm grip)

I know that some people may not agree or use the same hand-grip/movement-style that I use, but that is just my thought and observation.

So overall, everyone's hands are different in size and positioning preference.
SmallFry! <3

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 02:45:05 »
I saw that you posted on my video...

I had a Lachesis, too, and I actually liked it quite a lot. I returned it, and I was about to buy it again, until it got discontinued and then replaced by the Razer Taipan.

The Lachesis takes... a unique grip, to say the least. Have you tried literally "wrapping" the mouse with your thumb, ring, and pinky fingers? If you look at the bottom of the mouse, you see there are two indented "curves" on the both sides. What I did was wrap the thumb on one side, then the ring and pinky fingers on the other sides, and held it literally like a sword. Like... if you imaged the way Rafael from the Ninja Turtles held onto his sai...

Or, that's how I eventually learned how to hold the Lachesis. From what I gather, it's more of a precision-movement mouse, thus, great for RTS'es. It's not something like the Deathadder, which is great for broad, sweeping motions, and therefore great for FPS's.

Offline maui

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 03:53:17 »
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

still the best, after all these years!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 11:18:59 »
I saw that you posted on my video...

I had a Lachesis, too, and I actually liked it quite a lot. I returned it, and I was about to buy it again, until it got discontinued and then replaced by the Razer Taipan.

The Lachesis takes... a unique grip, to say the least. Have you tried literally "wrapping" the mouse with your thumb, ring, and pinky fingers? If you look at the bottom of the mouse, you see there are two indented "curves" on the both sides. What I did was wrap the thumb on one side, then the ring and pinky fingers on the other sides, and held it literally like a sword. Like... if you imaged the way Rafael from the Ninja Turtles held onto his sai...

Or, that's how I eventually learned how to hold the Lachesis. From what I gather, it's more of a precision-movement mouse, thus, great for RTS'es. It's not something like the Deathadder, which is great for broad, sweeping motions, and therefore great for FPS's.
They discontinued the Lachesis? I picked one up a few weeks ago, good thing I managed to get a hold of it before it went out then. It's an interesting mouse.
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

still the best, after all these years!

Show Image

Unless you want some decent dpi. Not necessary, but some people prefer more than the IME offers. Also not the best for fingertip, the IME is better suited for palm grip in my experience.
Still, hard to go wrong with the IME 3.0, I'll give it that.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 11:41:25 »
As a fingergrip user with large hands I always found the Roccat Kone + and Kova + pretty good mice. The Kone is kind of huge though and is probably more of a claw-grip or full-hand mouse for most. I did love the easy at which I could customize settings on it though.
The Kova is much smaller and has a better shape in some ways (small ridge on both sides for your thumb and pinky to hold on to) but I hate it that it isn't as customisable as the Kone. The Kone I would usually run on 1600dpi for windows use and switch to 2400dpi in games. The Kova can only switch between 1600 and 3200. No custom in-between setting.

Had to give up on the Kone + though, because of mouse-wheel problems.
Might try the XTD version when I have some money again.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 13:30:38 »
@fuzzyball, what did you think of the taipan? I am concider getting it. What is it compared to the imperitor?
The Lachesis takes time to get used to. I started to use the grooves too. I would normally place my fingers where the side buttons are.

@maui, the intellemouse is great but I have come to love Teflon pads and the intellemouse does not have that.(at least not in the box). Therw have been many great mouse over the years and a lot of them have the exact same, shape, look, feel, and more features( like more dpi). Great mouse though.
SmallFry! <3

Offline tcv

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 19:14:56 »

I like the mouse alot but after using the Mico and G9X it was hard to adjust to the size of the DA again.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 22:09:10 »
@fuzzyball, what did you think of the taipan? I am concider getting it. What is it compared to the imperitor?
The Lachesis takes time to get used to. I started to use the grooves too. I would normally place my fingers where the side buttons are.

Taipan is a great mouse. I'm actually considering replacing the DA with that. Much easier to hold than the Lachesis. The Imperator, actually, was really comfortable, too, but, its sensor was too whacky. And the body felt too cheap (cheaper than the DA, unbelievably).

The only problem with the Taipan is that the body is a little too long, so the scroll wheel is a little too far ahead from where I would grip the mouse with the rest of my hand. So I would have to scoot the mouse downward to bring the scroll wheel closer to my fingers, and doing that a lot would fatigue my wrist somewhat. This was why I returned it, but I miss it enough to want it again despite this issue.

Also, you'll read of problems of the Taipan's sensor being a little whacky on online reviews, but for me, the problem was corrected when I would calibrate the sensor to the mousepad I was using.

I like the mouse alot but after using the Mico and G9X it was hard to adjust to the size of the DA again.

Absolutely. I'm also considering getting the G9x to replace my DA. Something about the G9x's low profile and wide shape, made it really easy to make very quick, precise, "flicking" movements (obviously great for gaming).

But... what grip do you use? The only problem(s) I had with the G9x was that the wide grip was a little tricky to pick up, while the slim grip, which was easier to pick up, hurt my pinky and ring fingers a bit...
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2012, 22:12:34 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 23:34:15 »
The only problem with the Taipan is that the body is a little too long, so the scroll wheel is a little too far ahead from where I would grip the mouse with the rest of my hand. So I would have to scoot the mouse downward to bring the scroll wheel closer to my fingers, and doing that a lot would fatigue my wrist somewhat.

To my understanding, isn't the Taipan shorter than the Lachesis?(just by a little bit it seems.) Plus it is quite taller. Is that where the problem comes from? I guess I would have to try it myself.
It might be more than the Lachesis than I thought.

SmallFry! <3

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 23:45:28 »
The only problem with the Taipan is that the body is a little too long, so the scroll wheel is a little too far ahead from where I would grip the mouse with the rest of my hand. So I would have to scoot the mouse downward to bring the scroll wheel closer to my fingers, and doing that a lot would fatigue my wrist somewhat.

To my understanding, isn't the Taipan shorter than the Lachesis?(just by a little bit it seems.) Plus it is quite taller. Is that where the problem comes from? I guess I would have to try it myself.
It might be more than the Lachesis than I thought.

Yea... I don't know. If they are indeed the same length, it's possible I had the same problem with the Lachesis without remembering. It's also very possible that even though they're the same length, the scroll wheel locations might be different. I just know I had that issue with the Taipan, but you should definitely still give it a try. You might not run into the problem at all.

Offline tcv

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 06:35:38 »

Taipan is a great mouse. I'm actually considering replacing the DA with that. Much easier to hold than the Lachesis. The Imperator, actually, was really comfortable, too, but, its sensor was too whacky. And the body felt too cheap (cheaper than the DA, unbelievably).

The only problem with the Taipan is that the body is a little too long, so the scroll wheel is a little too far ahead from where I would grip the mouse with the rest of my hand. So I would have to scoot the mouse downward to bring the scroll wheel closer to my fingers, and doing that a lot would fatigue my wrist somewhat. This was why I returned it, but I miss it enough to want it again despite this issue.

Also, you'll read of problems of the Taipan's sensor being a little whacky on online reviews, but for me, the problem was corrected when I would calibrate the sensor to the mousepad I was using.

Absolutely. I'm also considering getting the G9x to replace my DA. Something about the G9x's low profile and wide shape, made it really easy to make very quick, precise, "flicking" movements (obviously great for gaming).

But... what grip do you use? The only problem(s) I had with the G9x was that the wide grip was a little tricky to pick up, while the slim grip, which was easier to pick up, hurt my pinky and ring fingers a bit...

I started off using the precision grip but after giving the wide grip a try for a couple of days I can't go back.

Offline xcelerate

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 17:15:18 »
My only recommendation here will be the Razer Abyssus:

Perfect Control Speed: 3.92 m/s
Malfunction Speed: 4.4 m/s
Prediction: None
Liftoff Distance: 3.5 mm
Sensor Position: Middle
Body: Plastic
Weight: 67 grams
Feet: Teflon
Buttons: 3

No drivers needed = no additional layer of laggy driver software in the OS better response times (i'm talking to you here synapse 2.0 etc...) thanks to the dip switches.
If you don't like the LED you can easily unplug it from the pcb, or pull it out of the mouse to save weight.
Sick Sensor.

I changed the switches in the my Abyssus to Omron D2F-01F:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/D2F-01F/SW502-ND/83266

To be honest the default switches will be fine for most, but tactile feel is personal preference really.
I was surprised with the speed of shipping from Digikey (i got the switches shipped from US to Canada the day after ordering).
D2F-01F quality is top notch and i have enough to last me a while (probably wont change from the Abyssus any time soon tbh).

I have painted mine gloss red (top shell) to help with grip.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2012, 18:09:11 by xcelerate »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 19:54:53 »
God I hated the switches that come with them. They hurt my fingers lol. Was this hard to change out? Cool looking mouse by the way! :)
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 01:01:19 »
Got CM Storm Recon today.  I can confirm that while everything is perfect (material, click pressure, click feeling, LED lights... etc), the size is actually a tad big for fingertip grip.  In fact I find it even too big for claw grip.

Even though it's a medium size mouse but it feels bigger than Razer Naga.  So I'd say go with other options if you use fingertip grip / claw grip.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 16:43:29 »
Roccat Savu. Also uses the Avago ADNS-3090 (or the 3095 which is the same thing but just with different lenses I believe). Seems to be highly praised.

Razer is now shooting themselves in the foot with Synapse 2.0. You basically have to have it open and connected to the internet to use your mouse as far as I'm aware (profiles, etc. all saved on cloud. That and they are able to access your files).
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 16:45:43 by HybridCore »
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 16:58:03 »
My only recommendation here will be the Razer Abyssus:

Perfect Control Speed: 3.92 m/s
Malfunction Speed: 4.4 m/s
Prediction: None
Liftoff Distance: 3.5 mm
Sensor Position: Middle
Body: Plastic
Weight: 67 grams
Feet: Teflon
Buttons: 3

No drivers needed = no additional layer of laggy driver software in the OS better response times (i'm talking to you here synapse 2.0 etc...) thanks to the dip switches.
If you don't like the LED you can easily unplug it from the pcb, or pull it out of the mouse to save weight.
Sick Sensor.

I changed the switches in the my Abyssus to Omron D2F-01F:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/D2F-01F/SW502-ND/83266

To be honest the default switches will be fine for most, but tactile feel is personal preference really.
I was surprised with the speed of shipping from Digikey (i got the switches shipped from US to Canada the day after ordering).
D2F-01F quality is top notch and i have enough to last me a while (probably wont change from the Abyssus any time soon tbh).

I have painted mine gloss red (top shell) to help with grip.
Show Image

Hope this helps.
That is one sleek mouse. Might do the same whenever I decide to get an Abyssus for my collection.
Anyone know how long they plan on keeping the Abyssus around? Don't want to wait until it's gone and it's been around for a while now, hasn't it?

Offline Melchior

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 21:37:43 »
Good suggestions everyone, but nothing strikes me as 'THE ONE'.

There was also an additional requirement, 'thumb' buttons on the right side. (RH user...)

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 01:46:55 »
To the OP, have you considered the Taipan? I mentioned it a couple of times here in the thread, but I'm not sure if you caught it or not.

But, yes, there are thumb buttons on either side, so it's available for ambidextrous use. I actually got one a few days ago, and I'm liking it a lot. Its shape gives me a lot of control.

Also, the problems people mention with its "laggy" cursor are fixed when you calibrate the sensor with the mousepad you are using.

Offline Melchior

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 19:29:05 »
To the OP, have you considered the Taipan? I mentioned it a couple of times here in the thread, but I'm not sure if you caught it or not.

But, yes, there are thumb buttons on either side, so it's available for ambidextrous use. I actually got one a few days ago, and I'm liking it a lot. Its shape gives me a lot of control.

Also, the problems people mention with its "laggy" cursor are fixed when you calibrate the sensor with the mousepad you are using.

Yeah, need a constantly active Internet connection for using a F8cing mouse, no thanks.

Razor = Too much sizzle, not enough steak.

However the I am considering a CM Recon (if I can get my fingers on one...)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 06:16:18 »

Yeah, need a constantly active Internet connection for using a F8cing mouse, no thanks.

The Taipan should have on-board memory, at least for that price, and would only require to be set up in Synapse once. While that is one time too many and an old fasioned driver would be far better, you only need an active connection while setting it up the first time. After that it's plug-and-play.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 15:31:30 »

I used to never used Razer product then after I got one I got hooked, then I was Razer fan boy for a while then other brands starts to win me over.  I mean their marketing might be a bit overhyped but they do push to have innovative product and their mice are actually not bad (can't comment on quality control but mine hasn't break yet).

As for CM Storm it seems like they're doing pretty well, I'd say they probably gonna surpass (or maybe already has) SteelSeries in terms of fan base and popularity  :)

However I have small hand and I find Recon a bit too big for claw/fingertip, if you have huge hand then you can probably give it a try  :)

Offline nodicaL

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 06:48:21 »
I've have quite a few mice throughout my life and have to agree a few people in this threading about the Razer Abyssus being the best finger tip mouse.
The weight and size make it almost effortless to control for precise aiming. 
Along with the fact that you don't need to install drivers is a big bonus since I go to LANs quite often.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 19:35:53 »
I tried Abyssus and I do think it's probably one of the better gaming fingertip grip mouse.  However I do have a few issues with it:

1. I wish the sides would curve in a little bit for better ergonomics, I find even the generic Logitech / Microsoft mouse feels more ergonomic to use and less boxy.
2. The gap between the body and click button sometimes "bite" my ring fingers when clicking down.
3. The lift off distance is a bit high for me but I guess that can be fixed by the tape trick?
4. I wish they have at least 1 thumb button on each side.  Comes handy when browsing the web and it's not too hard to add 1 extra button on each side.  Razer's Starcraft mouse proves that there is room to add thumb button in small mouse.

So hopefully the next version Abyssus can address that.

Offline chel-

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 17:19:21 »
It's lacking buttons but you could check out the Razer Salmosa Korea Pro Gaming edition. I don't think its possible to hold it any other way other than with your fingertips and its as minimal as it gets.

Offline prpnightmare

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 21:34:43 »
I've been using a Logitech G9x and I like it. Of course, I'm mostly in between fingertip and palm, so it might be a little too heavy for what you want. It does feel solid though, if that's a requirement of yours.