Author Topic: Proper PS/2 to USB conversion?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline blakespot

• My (modest) keyboard gallery
Proper PS/2 to USB conversion?
« on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 16:02:02 »
If one grabs a Model M with a PS/2 connector for use on a USB machine, what is the proper drill there? I've got a number of tiny converter dongles lying around the house, but are they the way to go? Does it require more electronics to get it done in a way that won't show ghosting, repeats, etc?

Thanks.

bp
:: Leopold FC660C (x2), FC660M (browns), Realforce 87U, Das Keyboard (blues), Matias Tactile Pro (v1), HHKBL2, Matias Quiet Pro, Unicomp Classic 101, Focus FK-2001, Corsair Vengeance K65 (reds), Steelseries Apex 7 TKL ("browns")
:: Modest photo gallery of my keyboards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Proper PS/2 to USB conversion?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 16:20:59 »
I have never had any trouble with the cheap converters, but a lot of people here have complained about them either not working at all, or working improperly.

Just try what you have, and see. A Model M draws quite a bit of power, and you might try a powered USB hub if you have one.

Otherwise, every rig is different, and trial and error will tell you where you stand.

PS - I don't game so my needs are simple.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 18:25:07 »
Probably the easiest is to get a protocol adapter, such as : http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184

They come in either just the adapter or also in a short cable format.

Could also perform any number of USB conversions too - but those would be probaby more costly and require work; nothing wrong with tinkering if you're interested though...
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline tobydeemer

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 14:37:05 »
I have had good luck with the blue cube mentioned above for my Model M's. I need to get a Belkin adapter for my WGI AT101, as it is more finicky. With cheaper adapters, I've had issues only when I try to remap keys in Linux. For instance, my cheap microcenter adapter works 98%- it loses repeate function when I map Left Ctrl to my caps lock. That's it.

However, there is also this seller on ebay, who IIRC is a member here (not sure of name), that makes custom cables for this application. They're a little more expensive than an adapter, but look far classier to be honest. (Which might not matter depending on desk setup, etc.) Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-SDL-6-Pin-6ft-IBM-Lexmark-Unicomp-Model-M-Clicky-Keyboard-Cable-NEW-/270955553909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1635a475

(Oh also, this is only for the Model M's with the removable PS/2 cable....)
----
// SGI AT101 // SIIG Minitouch  // 87 & 93 & Terminal 122 Model M // Poker II Brown // CMS QFS Gateron Green // Alps GlidePoint Rackmount // DataGeneral 6311 Acer // ...annnnd some other randoms... //

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 15:02:31 »
Oh, I forgot.

I have 2 of orihalcon's cables and they work great for me.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 19:22:54 »
With cheaper adapters, I've had issues only when I try to remap keys in Linux. For instance, my cheap microcenter adapter works 98%- it loses repeate function when I map Left Ctrl to my caps lock. That's it.
Exactly same here. Both of my two cheap converter have that problem and seem to have some trick on CapsLock.

Offline urbanus

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 01:25:37 »
Probably the easiest is to get a protocol adapter, such as : http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184

They come in either just the adapter or also in a short cable format.

Could also perform any number of USB conversions too - but those would be probaby more costly and require work; nothing wrong with tinkering if you're interested though...

Agreed -- I got a couple of those so-called "blue cube" adapters, but I got them from eBay instead because it was cheaper (sorry clickykeyboards.com dudes).

As for the keyboard mod: I wouldn't go down that path personally because I think it would affect the value of the board.  Also it would remove some of the old-style charm.  :)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 01:50:52 »
Get a belkin or rosewill ps2 kwyboard and mouse to useb the kind with the box in the middle.