Author Topic: What's the beef with Das?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Zos

What's the beef with Das?
« on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 15:40:13 »
So I've notice around this forum that people don't talk about Das keyboards lest it be about a vintage model or their recent manufacturer change. I purchased an Ultimate relatively recently (my first mechanical) and I haven't noticed any inconsistencies -- though, I understand I am uninitiated when it comes to keyboards. What's so bad about these things? Is it just that they're the Honda Civic of the mechanical keyboard world and everyone here wants to talk Porche?

Also, what's the general opinion of KBT?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: What's the beef with Das?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 15:47:41 »
So I've notice around this forum that people don't talk about Das keyboards lest it be about a vintage model or their recent manufacturer change. I purchased an Ultimate relatively recently (my first mechanical) and I haven't noticed any inconsistencies -- though, I understand I am uninitiated when it comes to keyboards. What's so bad about these things? Is it just that they're the Honda Civic of the mechanical keyboard world and everyone here wants to talk Porche?

Also, what's the general opinion of KBT?

Those who speak ill of das speak ill of das.  Those who have das and like often stay quiet as not to perpetuate some argument, but I have to say... Das's company model has soured and it shows in the soul of their keyboards...

KBT has just offered awesome stuff to the community.  I am excited to receive my KBT Pro
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 15:59:36 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Carnage

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 16:04:08 »
I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with das while im personally an ALPS type of person every time ive typed on a das model s which uses cherry browns i believe it has felt like a sturdy consistent keyboard. Its probably just because of the price tag on das people complain. There seems to be a stigma that the bigger more well known produced products quality lowers for das id have to say this is not the case while i do not like MX browns there boards feel to be a good quality well built products to me. Unlike razers blacktrasho if im going to use blues its ALPS or nothing.

I cant say much for the new das models though only for the 6 month+ old model S I've typed on at a friends and with co workers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 16:09:39 by Carnage »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 16:15:24 »
You are wrong. Das is more or less like a lexus. And we like honda civics. Which would be nore or less Chinese boards oe tenkeyless. A Porsche would be more or less kike a topre Kmac or kenesis.
SmallFry! <3

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 16:29:33 »
Nothing wrong with Das, besides the fact that most people here have stopped indicating it ever since they changed their OEM to iOne. And that includes me.

Well, we all know too that the Das Ultimate and Mac versions are still made by Costar and they have an awesome interior built (well, the glossy finish may be one of the reasons people don't like it), but I'd rather stop recommending when we don't know when the Das Keyboard Ultimate/Mac made by iOne are going to appear.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 16:33:31 »
I think there are different reasons for the Das hate. One is the reasons I guess is that Das markets it's keyboard as being like the IBM model M, which it isn't. Another thing is that a lot of people don't like the look of the glossy piano finish. I personally think it looks classy but the finish is prone to scratches. Now they're moving away from Costar to Ione apparently and since that would be a step backwards as far as build quality, that's the nail in the coffin I'm sure as far as supporters on this board.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline Carnage

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 16:40:18 »
Id have to say when it comes to complete customization and amazing quality KMAC would 100% be a porsche and the Das the Lexus. Hopefully there quality does not deteriorate with the new manufacturer. I think there amazing starter keyboards for people who just got a new job and want a decent keyboard to use or have a office job and want to switch from rubber domes to mech without driving there co workers insane with CLICKITY CLACK!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 18:45:07 »
If you bought a Das Ultimate then I believe you're in the safe zone.  You can double check by flipping your keyboard over and if the bottom says "Made In Taiwan" then you're in the clear.  It's like people said the hate probably come from the gloss finish and the change of OEM.

The gloss finish is more like love and hate, you either love its beautiful finish or hate the scratches.  Personally I own a Das MX Brown and I think it's awesome.  My daily driver is a Filco MX Red but I'd say quality wise they feels very close.

The OEM change however is pretty much the deciding point.  I think geekhack has a general hate towards iOne products (Razer Blackwidow) for their poor quality control.  So people are worry about things breaking down if anything.  Das used to be with Costar which everyone love here.

I bought my Das during their Costar era and I still loves it.

Das used to be the go to board for people who just got into mechanical keyboards since it has proven quality (Costar) and is cheaper than Filco.

Nothing wrong with Das, besides the fact that most people here have stopped indicating it ever since they changed their OEM to iOne. And that includes me.

Yupe keyword is stopped.  I used to recommend Das, just not anymore.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 19:05:53 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 18:58:56 »
Anyone else notice that Das marketing has a lot of false information?

I like the Das II and the Das I better. The Das II can be customized easier and from what I hear, the Das I has one of the best Rubber Domes.

Did the price of the Das accessories go up? 
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 19:08:35 »
Anyone else notice that Das marketing has a lot of false information?

I like the Das II and the Das I better. The Das II can be customized easier and from what I hear, the Das I has one of the best Rubber Domes.

Did the price of the Das accessories go up? 

I don't think the price went up, it's just always that expensive.

But I kind of don't like how they advertise it being #1 on Amazon then switch to a poor quality OEM.  Basically they're riding on Costar's glory.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 19:11:52 »
They, along with Razer are like the Mac of keyboards...

What are they without their advertisements.

Very hyped.
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 19:58:25 »
They are also one of the few mechanical keyboard manufacturers that makes a Mac layout mechanical keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 20:05:05 »
Gasp! I think someone has been sleeping with Mac....

*Cough* *Cough* Das*Cough*
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 20:50:47 »
LOL well at least Matias is pretty low profile about it.  None of those in your face advertisements.

(And no I don't mean keycap profile  :P)