Author Topic: How do you avoid shiny keys?  (Read 25392 times)

Offline Zos

How do you avoid shiny keys?
« on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 13:28:14 »
So I have a two-week-old keyboard that I've been gaming non-stop with and I find that the WASD keys already feel different than the rest of the relatively unused keyboard. I always washed my hands before use, and now I Lysol wipe it after. I really want to avoid the oily mirror effect one finds on old, unkempt keyboards. I purchased some zinc caps for my WASD to combat the issue, but I'm sure that they will wear out eventually as well.

How do you keep your keys pristine?

Offline silat

Re: How do you avoid shiny keys?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 13:29:59 »
Dont ever touch them.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 13:36:02 »
For me, I try to remember to wash my hands before using any of my boards but sometimes it's unavoidable.  So if and when they become shiny, I'd just replace the keycaps.  They're inexpensive enough unless you're talking about some rare set then I just don't use those at all. lol
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 13:52:36 »
I remember reading somewhere someone suggested wearing gloves. Seems a tad extreme.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 14:32:18 »
I don't. I enjoy making valuable nib vintage doubleshots shiny.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 14:44:41 »
I remember reading somewhere someone suggested wearing gloves. Seems a tad extreme.
Could always get someone to cut ya fingers off as well, I guess.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 15:24:07 »
Could always get someone to cut ya fingers off as well, I guess.

Or type on a cheap rubber dome whilst staring at your mechanical keyboard, imagining that that's what you're really typing on.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 15:26:40 »
Dip your fingertips in Elmer's glue and wait for it to dry before typing  :D

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 15:34:47 »
Just wear surgical gloves. You still get the feel through them, and you won't wear down the texture on the caps. :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 16:03:35 »
Dis?

Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
  • www.Keypop.net [키팝.net]
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 16:19:02 »
tape your finger tips lol. Sort of defeats the purpose of the feel of keycaps but you'll definitely avoid getting it shiny.

To be quite honest you can just wash your hands before you use your keyboard and that should be more than enough. By the time they do get shiny you'll have more than enough money to replace them :\.

If you're really nitpicky have a spare set of wasd keycaps that you don't give a crap about and switch them on and off. Not like anyone's checking out your keyboard while you play.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 18:09:12 »
If you're seriously worried about shine though, you could always go POM. They're kind of shiny by default, but you really never have to worry about them loosing that uniform look.

I used a PLU board with POM caps for a while; heavy daily use with decent hygiene the caps started to build up a little "crud" (talking about small smudge build up on a corner edges of some caps) after a year. Being a cheap board, I just took off any dirty caps and scrubbed them with a tooth brush, soap and water for a sec. and they came out looking like new. The only downside was that the legends have faded slightly on heavily used keys (`12345tabQWERTASDFGshiftZXCVBctrl and alt), but that's more due to cheaper printing than anything else.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 22:23:12 »
Embrace the shine, man.  Feel the shine.  The shine will not harm you.  Be the shine.

Offline MMB

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 22:26:12 »
Embrace the shine, man.  Feel the shine.  The shine will not harm you.  Be the shine.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 22:46:26 »
why do you guys think gloves will not make your keycaps shiny? or tape or silly finger condoms? the friction of merely touching them probably contributes just as much to keycap wear as the sweat and oil on your fingers.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 22:56:47 »
Exactly.  Just embrace the shine.  Shine is natural, part of quantum earth-state.  Go to shine, and feel her caress.

Offline tcv

Re: Re: How do you avoid shiny keys?
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 22:57:55 »
why do you guys think gloves will not make your keycaps shiny? or tape or silly finger condoms? the friction of merely touching them probably contributes just as much to keycap wear as the sweat and oil on your fingers.

Lol, finger condoms

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 23:14:32 »

It does contribute a little, but human bodily oils are very corrosive and greatly speed the process; it's why practicing good hygiene helps so much.

Offline MMB

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 23:15:48 »
Actually it's the oils and acids in your skin that break down the surface and allow it to be worn down easily. I guess you could extend the life of your keycaps by wearing gloves, but that's not saying they will not wear down. Even PBT wears down over time... it just takes a ridiculously long amount of time to happen.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 23:33:41 »
You avoid it by not looking at them (turn ur head away and avoid them all together).
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 01:13:37 »
You avoid it by not looking at them (turn ur head away and avoid them all together).

You still feel the smooth texture less keycaps...
I love Elzy

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 01:14:24 »
Dont worry about the shine worry about wheb you start wearing though the caps (legit happened on my 7G)

Offline tufty

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 01:22:22 »
There's actually a good number of solutions to this, ranging from the extremely simple (ignore / embrace it) to the very complex.  Given that  the OP is a gamer, and presumably playing quite hard if he/she is wearing down the wasd keys rapidly, he/she is probably losing precious nanoseconds per keypress merely by the psychological effect of knowing that his/her keyboard is somehow "less than perfect".  Thus, a solution is called for, lest he/she get called a n00b.  Here's a few that pop off the top of my head.

1 - Given that the shininess is caused by a combination of chemical action and friction, modification of keypress action can reduce the friction associated with each keypress, and thus alleviate the problem.  So try to press the keys with a "rolling" action rather than a "hammer" action, keeping the fingertips placed exactly on the same position on the key.  This will require significant training time,  this can be reduced by removing (for example) the wasd keys and replacing them with sections of cheese grater - eventually the pain and bleeding will provide enough negative reinforcement to "correct" finger posture and movement.

2 - "Rotate" your keys in order to equalise usage, in a similar way to rotating the tyres on a car.

3 - Diet change to reduce / modify the chemical composition of the sweat exuded by the fingertips.

4 - use textured tape (perhaps skateboard grip tape) on the keycaps, providing an easily replaceable textured surface.

5 - Periodically sandblast your keycaps.

6 - http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/keyboards/industrial/keyboard_cover/index.htm

7 - send your keyboard to me - obviously it's fscked, butI need the parts.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 05:58:17 »
Keycaps get shiny over time. The world turns, and life keeps on going. If you're wearing gloves or finger condoms you clearly have other issues to deal with, so enjoy what you have and don't worry about it.

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 07:50:44 »
It's part of a keyboard's life.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 10:33:28 »
Get PBT keycaps. They should take longer to shine and black is an obvious shine color, get a lighter color keycaps so it's harder to see the shine (I.e. beige / light grey).

And if it still bugs you then buy a 37 key set periodically to replace those caps. Eventually you'll be too broke to care lol ~

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline gizzard

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 16:41:41 »
Interesting side note.. ive found that filco stock black keys shine really fast... faster than my DAS stock black keys...

Offline lolkeyboards

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:45:09 »
lol @ the finger condoms

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:32:59 »
I hate shiny keys. They are just plain gross to the fingertips.

My Model M/Fs go for years without losing their texture, and I have multiple spare sets.

I got an Alps Electric board not long ago with absolutely beautiful doubleshots, but about half a dozen of them are so slick it makes me want to take them off and wash them once an hour. Otherwise, this is the handsomest set of Alps keycaps I have ever seen. Even "Backspace" and "Delete" are like new. The previous owner must not have made mistakes.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 20:35:29 »
Dont worry about the shine worry about wheb you start wearing though the caps (legit happened on my 7G)

The 7G I murdered for ergo-clears and parts? Or did you have 2?
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 21:55:39 »
Shiny keycaps are the sign of a well-loved keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MMB

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 21:58:23 »
I have used my PBT set for almost a year with no visible signs of wear.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 22:04:35 »
I was going to say that there are other signs of love, but that didn't seem quite right.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 08:15:37 »
Not cool when your rarer caps get shine. My CC wasd and arrow set is starting to see some serious shine but they look so pretty on my board . I'm so conflicted.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 11:00:30 »
get PBT blanks and they'll last longer. You can't really change the acidity of your fingers.

Offline Bry

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 14:26:31 »
I can see my reflection when I look directly down at my F key. It helps me make sure my hairs not messed up.

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline jackstar7

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 08 November 2012, 11:46:00 »
Stop taunting them.

It's mean.
Topre 30g 104U-Silent --- 87U-Silent and 103U are now backups only

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 13:04:28 »
But, but, but, I love shiny keys!

now that's taunting

10 points if you can guess who's logo/box is being reflected!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 15:06:46 »
That's, like ... wow!  Smooooth....

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 20:29:41 »
I use a 'gamer kit' (# row and wasd blank keys) AND always wash my hands before using kb.

10 points if you can guess who's logo/box is being reflected!

Griffin?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 07:43:21 »
I hate shiny keys. They are just plain gross to the fingertips.

I got an Alps Electric board not long ago with absolutely beautiful doubleshots, but about half a dozen of them are so slick it makes me want to take them off and wash them once an hour.

When you get a perfectly smooth round glass out of the cupboard does the smooth glass gross you out?

When you buy a new car, does the smooth perfect paintjob gross you out?

Do you wash your car every day with a brittle brush to rough up the texture?

Do you avoid round smooth ballpoint pens?

What about those perfectly smooth plastic mousepads?

My stereo, and TV are both made of smooth shiny plastic.  Isn't yours?  Does it gross you out?

My mouse is made of smooth shiny plastic.  It came that way.  What is your mouse texture like?

Fascinating.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 17:05:02 »
Griffin?

Nah.  Seeing as no one else is playing this game I'll just tell.  'twas a Farnell / element14 sitting on my desk, about 350mm away.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 17:08:38 »
Get PBT!
I love Elzy

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 19:01:52 »
When you get a perfectly smooth round glass out of the cupboard does the smooth glass gross you out?

When you buy a new car, does the smooth perfect paintjob gross you out?

Do you wash your car every day with a brittle brush to rough up the texture?

Do you avoid round smooth ballpoint pens?

What about those perfectly smooth plastic mousepads?

My stereo, and TV are both made of smooth shiny plastic.  Isn't yours?  Does it gross you out?

My mouse is made of smooth shiny plastic.  It came that way.  What is your mouse texture like?

Fascinating.

Protip: trolls are more effective when they aren't tldr.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 19:31:36 »
Not trolling.  Its a serious question.

I have met all kinds of ppl with all kinds of weird different phobias.  It is interesting, that's all.

I am trying to figure out where the phobia starts and where it ends.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 19:44:36 »
Phobia huh.  Do you know what trolling means?

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 19:50:52 »
Stop trolling hashbaz. He has a very valid point.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 19:58:17 »
I think most complain about the shine appearing unevenly, but the difference in shiny and "worn in ABS" shiny is that the worn in type of shiny feels oily (the feel returns pretty quickly after washing them as well).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 21:43:23 »
Even if the keycaps do get shiny, just replace them.  Or have a few sets of keycaps lying around and swap them around every now and again to spread the wear out.