Author Topic: e-Reader / Tablet, what to choose ?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
e-Reader / Tablet, what to choose ?
« on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 05:40:23 »
Hi guys !

As I'm willing to read more than I used to for the last few years, and considering that there would be lots of classics, and new books, I'd like to read, I'm been considering to get whether an e-Reader or a 7" Tablet.
I'm not a manga / comics scans reader, I still want to buy them.
I would also be reading a newspaper, but no need for color screen at this point.
The only thing that could be decisive is if I decide to read magazines, so I'd need a color screen. But I'm only reading a few ones every month, and I think I still prefer to buy this, as I get stickers/posters/maps/DVDs/etc with them.
That's why I really don't know if a Tablet would be any better.

I've been reading about the Kindle, obviously would I say, and the Kobo readers. The price-point is the same for both ranges, although the Kobo ones seem to be more easily available here in France. I've no idea which one offers more French books though, but I would definitely be reading more and more English books too.

If you have any advice, please feel free to write them down :)
Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers :D

Offline Lanx

Re: e-Reader / Tablet, what to choose ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 07:31:47 »
i've give you both sides, first on the portable side
i have galaxy s3/iphone touch
netbook
kindle
(newest) kindle (wifes)
ipad

i'm inclined to say that i use the ipad for games/browsing/hulu whatever... and if i want/need to read a book/pdf document i will use the kindle (it also has text to speech so if i'm lazy i can do that)

the reason why i do that is cuz it's easier on the eyes, cuz of E-Ink, this will be readily apparent if you want to read outside, i was able to read a book on the beach with the kindle, the ipad with my mifi and a sun umbrella, just did not work too much glare.

my wife is the opposite, even tho she has access 2 kindles she never takes it since she has the ipad, for her it's about convenience, and that means carrying one less item, and that one less item is handled by carrying around the ipad.

i like to take the netbook with me to bed, while i leave my laptop in the kitchen, in short i like my devices to do separate functions, my wife likes the ipad to do everything.

i think the main thing is if you REALLY want a reading experience like a REAL book, then get an e-book reader, it'll be easier on your eyes, you have to try em out in store.

plus they are so cheap now i mean i've other e-readers in the past they cost a boatload, and were "ok"

the new kindles and kobo's are pretty awesome now.

i will say that the 6in screen of a kindle feels, limiting i mean i'm coming from a near 5in phone, and using regularly a 10in netbook or 10in ipad, imo 6in is just fine for reading e-books, but not for any kind of graphics, i'd have to use a 10in screen for that.

but everything you want to do, you can do on an ipad, they even have all the apps for it, comic readers and flipboard come to mind.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 07:40:26 »
If you need a color screen and are on a budget I would recommend a Nook Color -- it's got a 7" screen, great color, and right now should be relatively cheap to own. Also, it's been jailbroken so you could run CyanogenMod on it and make it into a decent Android tablet. I'm pretty happy with mine. My wife has an iPad2 and I'm slightly envious of the larger screen size sometimes. My brother-in-law got the iPad3 (retina display, etc.) but it's not really worth the extra money.

Also, if you haven't discovered Calibre yet, go find it -- awesome, awesome software. Mobilereads forum is worth checking out for more feedback on e-readers.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 07:43:36 »
A Nook Color, Kindle Fire, or the Nexus 7. All android tablets and all good for the budget. :)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 07:45:05 »
One thing to note is that the Nexus 7 is a full-on open tablet that can install both the Kindle and Nook apps.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 07:49:20 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:29:55 by davkol »

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 07:55:33 »
Thanks for your advices guys :)

I've already had an iPad for more than a year, using apps, etc, reading books sometimes too. But that was definitely not useful for me anymore in the past few months, given that I've got my One X and my MacBook. The only thing I need is to read, if I want to play / use apps, I'll do on my One X, or MB if I want a bigger screen.
Considering that, those 7" Tabs being quite unexpensive, that's why I considered it in the first place. However I feel like I wouldn't need those, and taking a first price e-Reader, or even the ones with better screens, would be a good thing / experience.
I was also wondering about the battery life, which must be frankly better on an e-Reader, isn't it ?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 07:59:47 »
Better battery life on an e-reader, yes. 'Specially if it has a E-ink screen.

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 08:35:34 »
Yep, good :)

Made myself a little comparison, I also didn't think of the dimensions, and most importantly, the weight.
An e-Reader would be easier to carry, so I think there we are. I've got to see those in stores in order to choose I believe :)

(The Nook Color seems a good "cheap" tablet, however it's absolutely not available here in France :()

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 08:42:18 »
So... size matters?

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 09:17:07 »
It still matters sometimes ... :p

Offline Lanx

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 09:23:27 »
e-reader could last days/weeks, even almost 2 months on one charge. but at least 2weeks imo. (if turned off and not on standby)