Author Topic: Brand Rating  (Read 3854 times)

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
Brand Rating
« on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:06:59 »
I'm looking at getting a really nice tenkeyless keyboard. I would like to get one with MX Clears but I can't really find a brand name out there that makes them in a tenkeyless format.

So...what brand for the money would you suggest? (Vote for your brand w/MX Browns)

1- Filco (0)
  2- Leopold (0)
  3- Cooler Master (3)
  4- Ducky (1)
  5- Vortex (0)
  6- Cherry (0)
  7- Deck (0)

If I haven't mentioned any that some of you feel should be on the list please feel free to bring them up. Also if anyone out there knows of a brand that makes a tenkeyless w/MX Clears I would appreciate your input.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:52:44 by do_Og@n »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Brand Rating
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:11:04 »
1. Ducky
2. CM

Haven't tried the rest (yet).  And Ducky is only first because I have 2 Ducky Shines with no problems, but only 1 CM QFR wth no problems.

So hardly representative ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:13:34 »
Hm...didn't KeyCool make a TKL with MX Clear at one point?
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:14:47 »
topre.

but really, if you're looking for TKL and you haven't tried topre you're only hurting yourself :P nothing in the cherry world outside of korean custom boards and maybe TNS comes close to the build quality and attention to detail of a topre realforce.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:29:51 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:17:47 »
WASD doesn't have a TKL yet
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:27:26 »
If you don't mind the branding; I'd say a CM QFR. It's cheaper than the Filco and, so far, I can't really see why you'd get a Filco over a QFR considering the cost.
Filco is still a solid and safe choice, looks nice as well. If you want to play it safe and don't mind spending some cash; Filco. If you're looking for bang for your buck and don't mind the CM branding; go for the QFR.

I don't have any other brands so I can't say much about them, except that the stabilizers on Leopolds might not be for everyone and the Deck font is ugly as fudge.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:35:37 »
Just looked up the KeyCool brand and couldn't find any current models with the MX Clears. Interesting keyboard brand though.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:42:48 »
topre.

but really, if you're looking for TKL and you haven't tried topre you're only hurting yourself :P nothing in the cherry world outside of korean custom boards and maybe TNS comes close to the build quality and attention to detail of a topre realforce.

Do they make a Topre firmer than 55g?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:42:54 »
You won't find a Filco in clears. Leopold use to have them, but recently discontinued it. I vote for CM quickfire and mod it to clears yourself.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:46:57 »
You won't find a Filco in clears. Leopold use to have them, but recently discontinued it. I vote for CM quickfire and mod it to clears yourself.
Might want to look for a board with PCB mounted switches for that, the QFR ones are plate mounted which adds a lot of work.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:48:15 »
Might want to look for a board with PCB mounted switches for that, the QFR ones are plate mounted which adds a lot of work.

This

Older cherry boards might come with clears but I'm guessing they'll be a bit harder to find since ergo-clears seem to be pretty popular right now
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 18:59:15 »
topre.

Do they make a Topre firmer than 55g?
nopre.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline therecorder

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 19:07:23 »
Qtang can order this (as an agent) for you (if they still have stock).  Showing Clears available in black tkl and white mini, but Qtang will call them to ask for latest status.  Send him the link (and tell him therecorder said hello).  (PM to qtan5370)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=13514954417

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 19:31:25 »
Of those I can only speak of the quality of Leopold (with clears not browns) and it has been pretty great, nothing to really complain about. Though as others have pointed out the stabilizers are an issue for some (not for me so far though).
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:16:38 »
Qtang can order this (as an agent) for you (if they still have stock).  Showing Clears available in black tkl and white mini, but Qtang will call them to ask for latest status.  Send him the link (and tell him therecorder said hello).  (PM to qtan5370)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=13514954417

If it's going to cost that much I might as well go with a topre. o_O

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:34:13 »
That's not in dollars...

488.00元 = $78.34. Even with shipping from China added on, it'll still be MUCH less than a Topre.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:35:51 »
Favorite tenkeyless?  Realforce.
Favorite for the money?  Leopold.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 21:36:26 »
Chinese brand boards first ofc

then CM.

You you have the money to choose. It would be Topre, Filco
SmallFry! <3

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 02:05:04 »
Is CM really that good? I was under the impression that they were the cheapest Cherry boards.

Offline mickd

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 02:08:40 »
That's one reason why they're so good. They're really cheap and the build quality is solid.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 07:34:57 »
Is CM really that good? I was under the impression that they were the cheapest Cherry boards.

Cheapest Costar-made board out there. And guess who makes FILCO keyboards? Yup.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 09:47:59 »
I own a Filco a Leopold and a Cooler Master. From a build quality I'd they they are all pretty close. From the cost point of view it's pretty hard to beat the coolermaster QFR, especially if you can find one on sale.  If not they are still cheaper than the rest with similar build quality. My only annoyance with the QFR is the function button can't be remapped so I lose my context menu button.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 13:50:29 »
Someday we could hqve a gb for qfr programable pcbs. I think a lot of peiple would be happy.
SmallFry! <3

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:10:56 »
Someday we could hqve a gb for qfr programable pcbs. I think a lot of peiple would be happy.

Tell that to Carter, the guy may even do it. After he released a Cherry MX Green keyboard, I wouldn't doubt anything anymore.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:55:03 »
OR bpiphany. Maybe that can be his next project? I know a lot of people around here have them, and probably even more would buy them if they could get a programmable controller.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:21:37 »
I still vote Filco for build quality. CM or Leopold for pricing.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 15:24:44 »
Filco if you can afford it, CM Storm if you're on a budget
I love Elzy

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 21:28:05 »
That's not in dollars...

488.00元 = $78.34. Even with shipping from China added on, it'll still be MUCH less than a Topre.

Okay now that's not bad at all, but with the new QFR w/ MX Greens my interests have already changed....WHY DO THE KEYBOARD GODS HATE ME!!!

Offline Citna

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 22:31:51 »
I bought a Ducky as my first mechanical purchase, I've never owned a Filco but have owned a Ducky + a CM QFR and they are both pretty good but I think the QFR is built a bit better.
Realforce 87U - HHKB2

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 22:39:39 »
As other have pointed out, only Leopold and Keycool have made TKL with clear ever. You might find one in used market. Otherwise everything is a muchness in my opinion. Get whatever is cheapest and has the best aesthetics. I like the Vortex oni and Noppoo mid87 personally at the moment for TKL. I've also had 2 Leopolds and quite liked them in the time I had them, have no problem recommending them in general either.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 November 2012, 22:41:23 by lysol »

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 07:07:49 »
(1) QFR brown :) !! . Build quality is superb ,it like a bro / family of filco :) + its cheap.

Offline remmeh

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 19:06:17 »
CM quickfire... half the cost of a filco. If you can get one of the brandless ones, even better.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Brand Rating
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 19:53:22 »
Another vote for the CM QFR.  I like the leopolds...but the non-standard spacebar sucks for custom keys.