Author Topic: [IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E + BS + Alps + Topre!  (Read 48690 times)

Offline asura

• not a duck
Re: [IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E + BS + Alps + Topre!
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 12:06:21 »
Oh I don't need money from the bank, just a business account rather than a personal account - I'll be fronting the costs for the first batch myself, then after that it'll just keep itself rolling.

Equipment is also a non-issue as I already have wax, an injector, and all the associated paraphernalia as well as a fairly complete jobbing jewellers workshop; lamps, clamps, punches, blocks, drills, burrs and a twin-spindle... hammers, gravers, silks, pickle, barrelling, media and bullion... mandrels, books, picks, tweezers, pliers, saws and blades... files, papers, diamond grits, scalpels, scribes, burnishers and scrapers... etcetera...

As to the cost - these aren't works of art, those are to come later.  These are jewellery manufacture and I'm treating them as such, oh they won't be cheep, but they'll be affordable.  And they won't be exclusive.  Anyone who can afford one can have one, to keep costs down I'll be doing them in runs.  For example, if you miss out on row-E now, then when I do row-D you can get D's and E's; when I do C's - E's and D's will be available too.

I will be doing short runs, but they'll (mostly) also be repeating.  There will be fewer of them simply because they'll be more complex and expensive.

And I'll be taking orders for one off commissions.  However, those are both for the future.

To study jewellery properly I'd need to move a couple of hundred miles; no big deal in general but would involve loosing what architectural work I have/get, moving the shop and loosing fifteen years of goodwill, make my girlfriend a train journey away and double (or more) my living costs.  And I wouldn't learn anything new till year three...

Offline gojira54

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 15:46:15 »
>they'll be affordable.  And they won't be exclusive

I like your business model :)
In for one for sure!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 15:56:56 »
In for four :)

Offline imersa

• clickclack's #1 fan
[IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E + BS + Alps + Topre!
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 15:58:28 »
In

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 16:36:18 »
I seriously cannot wait, even though I'll have to wait for cufflinks:

KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 16:37:19 »
Why is Zoidberg on the telephone?

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 16:41:16 »
Because I'll take eight! It's crafty consumer zoidberg.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 17:06:00 »
Ahh... another POP culture failure for me.

DIY cuff-links should be easy enough... let me think for a minute...

OK!  Here's my ten stage DIY Cherry MX cuff-links

1 get four stems.
2 cut one up, all we want is the cruciform and the flat "top" which will become the bottom
3 drill two 0.3mm holes diagonally opposite each other on the bottom as close to the centre of the cruciform as possible and countersink them to 0.5mm
4 get a bit of 0.3mm round wire a soft metal such as silver, copper, or aluminium will work best - I guess about 5mm but you'll have to experiment and bend it into a horseshoe
5 get a short length of an open link chain (called a belcher for those that care) about 15-20mm and thread one end onto your wire horseshoe
6 stick the ends of the horseshoe through the holes and rivet the ends so that they will stay in place, I'd use a smear of epoxy glue at this stage too, applied sparingly into the holes before putting the wire through.
7 repeat stages two through three and thread the second horseshoe onto the free end of the chain and repeat stage six
8 repeat stages two through seven.
9 put the kettle on.
10 profit!

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 17:07:05 »
And now I wait!

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 17:16:24 »
Oh no, those are instructions for you the ones I make will be a silver stem, depending on how many want them they'll be (low demand) hand made from sheet and wire when I have some free time after the first round or (high demand) cast with R2.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 17:18:36 »
I don't actually want 8, I'll wait for silver stems thanks. :)

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 17:30:58 »
Go on, there's nothing like a bit of DIY... You could have a pair of double cuffs in about an hour and a half and this way only costs about five pounds to make!  Here, I'll give you the condensed version.

Four stems, four cuts filed smooth, eight holes - countersunk, four hoops, two bits of chain and some glue.  Simple!

Far easier than me having to hand fabricate them out of silver... cut out eight slotted rectangles from 1.3mm sheet, slot them together to produce four cruciforms and solder.  Carefully file off excess solder and paper to 2000 grit.  Link four jump-rings to the ends of two short lengths of belcher chain and solder rings to base of cruciform.  Pickle and polish.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 17:42:01 »
I have to compliment you on your amazing and beautiful work, so far the only custom keys I have "made" are a batch I have had hydro-dipped and that involved me posting them of and waiting for the return, I would be very interested in buying one of these when you have them for sale, but the way my wallet is heading I will only be able to by half a key... :(

Good luck sir!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 09:11:58 »
@Asura,

Any plans to do scoops?

G
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline djmattm

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 09:30:32 »
Wow amazing! If the price is right for my poor college student pockets i'll surely be buying at least one!
Razer BlackWidow Tournament Stealth Edition

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 12:40:29 »
Scoops would be my preference, (as they're what I have on my pure) but scoops/dots/bars will be very late on, as any row-B key will still fit in the H/J position - thought about doing it with texture?  Bright polished alpha's with sandblasted modifiers + H/J could be interesting...

Or I may just file down wax tops and build up underneath, dots are very easy to add, and just not do bars... no new mould needed at all...

It's two rounds distant anyway; no hurry  :))

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 07:20:23 »
So it's one of those good news / bad news moments.  I sent down ten waxes; BS, Topre, MX Cherry thick, MX OEM, ALPS, and five non-keycap related items. 

I got back MX Cherry thick minus one stem, MX OEM deformed with a "dent" on the front, the ALPS is about perfect, except that it'll need some thin paper/tape otherwise it'll come out too easily, and four non-keycap related items which are all fine.

After a quick call - the BS and Topre caps didn't cast uniformly, one complete side of the BS and the stem of the Topre simply weren't.  And apparently the damage happened in the post... I somewhat doubt it, but not going to contest.  Why is it never easy

And I shall have to cut open a few waxes, as apparently the OEM (cast in fine silver) is heavy, I know I added a drop of wax to the inside of the top to improve the flow into the sides (not something I can do with BS, so...) but I didn't think it would have such a massive effect, so it's something I must check out.  Equally it is considerably bigger than the Cherry key it's sitting next to...

I'll get them cleaned up and finished (pre-hallmark) and post pictures as soon as I'm done.  And I'll add some internal spruing to a Topre and BS cap and see if they have any more joy that way, or I may just try someone else...

More delays, oh the joy!

Offline djmattm

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 07:24:46 »
Take your time, don't rush, we patiently wait!
Razer BlackWidow Tournament Stealth Edition

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #218 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 07:30:47 »
I'm just glad to see things are coming along. Snags in things are almost always inevitable. I look forward to the finished product though!

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 00:52:46 »
Whatever happened to this?... Any progress? Or is this idea scrapped?
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:12:54 »
Life - it's a wonderful thing...

Not scrapped (like the pun though) I've just been too busy with work during the day and evening, and spending more time with my partner in the evenings and at night.

I will be using someone else for casting, reason?  The pre-forming cut (80-fine diamond paper) showed up some cast porosity in two of the three keys, that's a bad ratio, to fix it requires drilling a hole through the fissure inserting a piece of wire of the corresponding diameter, soldering it in place, and cleaning it up - far from ideal and the sort of thing I was hoping to avoid.

I've now got a sprewed up Topre and BS key ready to send to a second casting company, hoping for better results, once I get them back we'll see how things go.

Offline Ziggy4H

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 10:49:41 »
I am replying to this thread to see if anyone is still interested in these caps. I have made a few for myself and want to know how interested people are in them.

Offline misconceit

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 06:22:59 »
I am replying to this thread to see if anyone is still interested in these caps. I have made a few for myself and want to know how interested people are in them.
It's a really old thread I doubt anyone remember..
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S   
HHKB Pro 2

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 06:24:37 »
Ziggy4H,

I'm sure everyone would love to see some pictures! I'd recommend you make a new thread for your caps though, since this one is pretty old.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Ziggy4H

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 07:15:53 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83096.0

New Topic in the Interest Check