Author Topic: [IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E + BS + Alps + Topre!  (Read 48648 times)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
Re: [IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 16:09:58 »
IWC MK XI pilots watch.
A piece of history.
So is the Speedmaster.  First watch worn on the moon, one of the few watches certified for spaceflight.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:33:14 »
It's not so much about the history (though that is awsome too) nor the calibre (which is also awesome) but the form, the proportions, the tones and the layout.  It's just; perfect.  If there were perfect reproductions out there, then I'd be happy(ish) with one, but I've never seen anything which so captures the nature of the thing.  It has wabi.

I'm sure the Speedmaster is a awful' nice watch 'an all; but (for me) it has a cluttered face, is overly weighty and overly complex.  I'm sure it's perfect for what it was designed for, but I'm no space man, and even if I were, I'd be rockin' a mk XI.

Anyway, this is drifting awfully off topic.  Torpe anyone?  BS?  It might not get done right now, but I don't want anyone to be feelin' left out.  :p

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 18:45:35 »
It would be fantastic if you could do some keys for Topre switches.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 01:13:51 »
The skill and time involved to make such a thing... I am tentatively interested in a cherry profile (E is "Esc" row right?). Is there any way of preventing it from oxidizing?
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 01:56:44 »
The skill and time involved to make such a thing... I am tentatively interested in a cherry profile (E is "Esc" row right?). Is there any way of preventing it from oxidizing?
Not really, exposure to air oxidizes silver. You can store it in a zip lock bag with an anti-tarnish slip ;E

Just get silver cleaner or there's some boiling water method to clean it every so often
Keyboardless

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:35:07 »
So basically I'd have to shine it every few months? Does that take very long or require cleaner?

Also - Could those markings be stamped on the inside of the cap to preserve the outer beauty?
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:46:32 »
Not sure if you have anything silver but they oxidize VERY fast, a few months your silver key will be brown :rofl:

Cleaning it with silver cleaner will only take a minute at most, dip it in then rinse it with water
Keyboardless

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:52:31 »
BROWN in only a few months?! WTF really?? Why would it tarnish so fast? That's kinda ridiculous... Would titanium or platinum be better options and still be workable?
R.I.P.ster

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 02:56:33 »
This is pretty cool. But yeah most people with silver jewellery leave it in the box and only wear it on occasion. If this piece was sitting exposed on your keyboard, and not to mention fingers touching it every day, it will tarnish very quickly.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 03:02:54 »
BROWN in only a few months?! WTF really?? Why would it tarnish so fast? That's kinda ridiculous... Would titanium or platinum be better options and still be workable?
If you wear silver jewlery everyday it does not tarnish it might get dirty but won't tarnish but if its on your keyboard it should tarnish from 2-4 weeks, at few months in it will be REALLY tarnished

if you constantly rub it with your finger it won't tarnish :rofl:
Keyboardless

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 03:06:06 »
if you constantly rub it with your finger it won't tarnish :rofl:

I like dirty talk ^___^
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 12:00:31 »
Progress for today; top formed and chamfered, top of the sides chamfered, top and sides stitched, top burnished over to make perfect soldering face, pickled, top soldered to sides, pickled - it now looks like a cap!  Stem soldered up out of a base of 0.6mm sheet, two bits of 1.3mm wire soldered to it in a cruciform, pickled, two bits of 1mm wire soldered sticking up to form two of the prongs, pickled, one more, pickled, one more, pickled, excess silver cut away, sides filed flush.  Stem soldered onto cap.

Next to do is file the four prongs down, first flush with the base of the cap, then file off an additional 0.7mm to make them the correct length.  Clean it, polish it, solder a stem on it, clean it, polish it and it'll be done.

The_Ed - It's the normal esc row key, as well as the number row key (there is an alternate profile for the esc row, but I don't have one and it's not very commonly used) so you'll be fine on that score here's Cherry's own page on the matter.  Don't worry, it won't tarnish anything like as quickly as tsangan seems to think, yes it will tarnish, but it will take much longer than a few months to go brown.  After about three weeks on my board the prototype was as shiny as the day it went on, and I don't like to say it, but we've got some stuff that's been sitting on display for a few years without polishing - it's not as bright as it was by any stretch of the imagination, but it's very obviously still silver, and a quick rub with a polishing cloth (don't use dips!) brings anything that bad back to shiny goodness in no time.
over time the copper in the alloy (the 7.5% that isn't Ag) will oxidise, this can be easily cleaned by wiping with a polishing cloth a bit of which I intend to include with every package
mkawa got a manky used bit of cloth 'cause it's what I had handy, everyone will get a couple of square centimetres of fresh, clean polishing cloth with every purchase.  It may be possible to have the mark on the inside, but I'm not sure.  It's a punch (like a centre punch but not) that places the mark, and due to the position of the stem they might not be able to get it on the inner face - I'll have a word with Edinburgh, though personally I don't feel it detracts from the cap one bit.  Titanium?  Not from me - not one of my metals.  Platinum?  We're into 24ct gold territory in terms of cost and the final weight of the thing will be comparable to a very generous wedding band...

Whilst plating is possible, it's far from my favourite thing in the world, a white gold engagement ring that's been rhodium plated (the norm due to it being cheaper to use a silver+nickel alloy then plate it, than using a better alloy using palladium, doubly so as you then get to charge for re-plating it!) tends to require re-plating every few years, the frequency depends on a huge number of factors, but I've a friend who has to get it done every two years!

Oh and I weighed a row-E Cherry key today, 1.450g.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 November 2012, 12:40:11 by asura »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 13:11:01 »
sorry, i've been preoccupied wrenching on my car the last day and a half or so. pictures at some point

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 13:26:36 »
Keep the hallmark on the exterior, facing the back of the board. It's part of the key and shouldn't be hidden inside the cap
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 14:25:27 »
I agree with GMC, the hallmarks help make it special in my opinion. :)
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 15:15:48 »
If it can be an option I'll make it an option... I just don't think it can be, it's not like it's something I can do myself - forging Hallmarks is up to ten years in the clink...  They do have swan necked punches, but even at that I think they'd struggle to get around the stem and the opposite side of the cap and I don't have a swan necked makers punch (an additional £80) so thinking about it, it doesn't actually help anyway...

And an appalling picture of the main row of jewelry at work, it's about 5m squeezed horribly into a single image...

...it always shocks me when I see images like that as to how much stuff we actually have.  I may take a couple of decent images of a couple of pieces I've made some time next week...

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 15:24:26 »
No one uses their "Standard type (8mm)" profile anymore. And I don't think cherry has made those for many years as well, except for maybe special orders. We all use their "Cylindrical type (7mm)" profile doubleshots. Thus "cherry profile" is "Cylindrical type (7mm) profile" on these forums. I was just trying to make sure which row it was as cherry labels their rows 0-5 (only now do I see their site has changed this to A-F). 0 or 1 (E or F) are used for the "Esc" row depending on the board.

It's good to know that they wont tarnish very quickly and turn brown as Tsangan would have me believe. A little buff every few months with a cloth that's even included is easy enough.

I think that hallmarks greatly detract from the look of everything. As long as they are hidden I don't mind. But once I see them they drive me crazy.
R.I.P.ster

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
[IC] Sterling Silver KeyCaps - row E
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 17:46:14 »
Not sure how it won't tarnish as it is not in contact with human skin most of the time, unless there's a difference in your sterling silver then all the other sterling silver I've seen/owned. What I know from experience is if its out in the open the oxygen will get to it.
Keyboardless

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 19:14:45 »
Um... being in contact with skin would only increase the rate of tarnishing. 

Yes if it's out in the open air oxygen will get to the copper and it will tarnish slowly, when worn, the sulphur from sweat and bodily oils will make it tarnish more quickly - as sulphur tarnishes silver as well as copper.  Whats more it's a considerably harder tarnish to remove.  Yes, if there's sufficient movement of a piece, say playing with a ring, or a bracelet that moves against a wrist, then this will be reduced or even eliminated by wearing the tarnish away as quickly as it forms, however there will always be a part of a piece which isn't so abraded (such as the inside of chain links) and it will show this accelerated tarnishing.  The back of chains tend to be the most guilty party, and the backs of earrings can get pretty bad too.

Equally there very well could be a difference in our Sterlings as there's still a whole 7.5% which can be at great variance, it's usually just copper, but how pure is that copper?  If there's already a high concentration of copper oxide in the lattice then tarnishing will be greatly accelerated.  Equally insufficient pickling after soldering leaves excess copper oxide in the surface of the piece, if this isn't properly cleaned off then the silver will again tarnish more rapidly, further to this, if a piece is over-exposed to an oxidizing flame then the oxygen can penetrate deep into the silver requiring a long and arduous process to completely remove it, this isn't often done, resulting in a piece that will never look as bright as a perfect piece and it will tarnish even, faster.  Whats more it's often plated over, resulting in a piece that looks perfect until the plate (usually pure silver so faster wearing) wears out, exposing the marred material beneath.

There is in point of fact a completely non-tarnishing silver alloy which contains 1% geranium - technically there is tarnish, but it's a thin coating of geranium-oxide, this doesn't affect the appearance of the item in any way and is the barrier between the copper and the oxygen which prevents tarnishing.  Anything made from this is re-heated after polishing to ensure that the geranium oxide can form before copper oxide/sulphate.

Equally how was the piece finished?  If it's simply soldered, pickled, and colored then it will oxidize much more quickly than if it is burnished before coloring.  Soldering silver also anneals it, this loosens it's molecular structure adding to it's porosity, it also causes rapid and deep oxidation of the copper which needs to be cleaned by chemical etching (that pickle I've been talking about) polishing cloths and dips just aren't enough.  This dissolves the copper oxide making the surface even more porous, if this is then colored then all those molecular gaps are still there - just waiting for oxygen, sulphur, whatever to join the party.  If a piece is burnished (rubbed with a piece of polished steel/agate) then this smooths the surface in a way that simply coloring doesn't.  The pressure causes the silver (and copper) to flow into the gaps, and toughens up the lattice reducing the rate of oxidation (the gaps just aren't there) and increasing the hardness to boot.

There's a really interesting process called reticulation, where you repeatedly heat Stirling (or a lower Ag alloy works even better) and pickle out the copper oxide, four, five, six times, however many it takes - but never too hot, just holding it at a low red.  This leaves you with a surface which is copper poor above a substrate which is copper/copper-oxide rich.  If you heat it very hot, very quickly the pure silver on the surface flows beneath the torch and crinkles beautifully.

Is it 925/1000 or a lower silver alloy?  800/1000 is still an acceptable alloy in the UK (hallmark-able no less) and US (and elsewhere?) it'll tarnish more rapidly due to the increased copper content but it looks exactly the same as Sterling silver.  If someone were unscrupulous they could considerably lower that fineness and still maintain the silvery appearance.  Was it really Stirling silver at all?  I hate to say it but there is a hell of a lot of stuff out there that's simply stamped "925" as if owing a $20 punch makes it so.  I've had someone bring me a piece for repair made from what appears (to me) to be aluminium that's been stamped that way.  There's stuff calling its self "Peruvian Silver" which is anything but, samples tested have contained all sorts of rubbish, including one with a dangerous quantity of arsenic!  That's why every piece I make will bare a hallmark, it's the oldest form of consumer protection in the world.

Again, yes, Sterling silver will tarnish, as I said in my second post.  If you want to keep it immaculately shiny then it'll probably take a polish once a month or so, if you want to stop it from going "brown", once or twice a year should more than suffice.  Unless you want a natural patina, in which case let it grow, and if you want instant patina, or a blackened cap (the top won't stay black) I can do that too.  Frankly, I'd be more concerned by a buildup of copper sulphate on the tops of oft-unused keys, as I say, it's harder to clean, takes a bit more elbow grease. 

If you want fine silver caps I can do that too, it doesn't oxidize even under an oxidizing torch (no copper see)  However, it's considerably softer so much so that you'd have to be very careful with the stems when installing the caps.

If it's impossible to mark the inside of the piece, then it's impossible to mark the inside of the piece and the mark will be on the outside.  The next time I'm in contact with the assay office I'll ask, but every piece will be marked.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 19:16:22 »
tl;dr put it on your keyboard to look pretty, but don't actually use it if you want it clean :P

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 19:21:44 »
Fine silver is 99.9 right?

LOL @ MMB.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 21:08:47 »
If the stem would be too soft if it was made out of fine silver, then what about the cap being fine silver and the stem being sterling silver? Then the cap wouldn't tarnish, and the stem would still be strong. The best of both worlds.
R.I.P.ster

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 21:52:48 »
asura, can you ping me with what compound i should use to protect the key you sent from tarnishing? (obv i won't be using it except to test cruciform fit, which looks excellent). i have a large variety of chemicals on hand to choose from.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 02:02:25 »
Fine silver is 99.9 right?

LOL @ MMB.

It's 92.5.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 02:04:33 »
i have a large variety of chemicals on hand to choose from.

Meth lab?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 02:06:23 »
W00P!

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 08:19:11 »
mmb - Yea, yea, yea.  A lot of words, but some of them are interesting... ish  ;D  They should still be ok to use, just may require a wipe over at the end of the day - as I say, the prototype spent three weeks on my board and never got any attention and was still looking as good (appart from the fingerprints, which wiped off) as the day I put it on there.

shadovved - Yes, fine = 99.9%, or 999.  You do get bulion sometimes called superfine which is 9998, or even 9999, but the cost rockets for that level of purity.

The_Ed - I could do that, but again it would greatly increae the cost, getting a stem perfectly alligned isn't easy, I had to un-solder and re-solder the prototypes stem about six or seven times to get it right, each time taking five to ten minuits to try and line it up perfectly.

mkawa - The only way to stop tarnishing compleatly is to impart a passivation layer, in the non-tarnishing silver above this was done by including 1% geranium in the alloy.  The only other real option is the use of a laquer.  To remove tarnish, rub it with the soft (and dirty) cloth included in the box, it's probably inpregnated with an inhibitor as well, which will slow any tarnishing, but this will be worn off the top of the key by use - which should in turn keep it cleen, by abrading the surface tarnish.

Alessandro - Nope, fine is 999.  "American coin silver" 800, Sterling silver 925, Britania silver 956, fine silver 999; those are the assayable siver finenesses in the UK.  In gold it's; 9ct 375, 14ct 585, 18ct 750, 22ct 915, 24ct 999.  Palladium is; 500, 950, 999.  And platinum is; 850, 900, 950, 999.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 November 2012, 10:04:58 by asura »

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 08:21:45 »
Less IC, more GB
Keyboardless

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 08:31:02 »
Why would it greatly increase cost to have a fine silver cap with a sterling silver stem? The price of fine silver VS sterling silver? You are making it sound like it would make the stem attachment process much more tedious in your post.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 09:34:16 »
I agree with tsangan! :D

Get the fancy forms rolling :p

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 10:19:11 »
Oh, whoops! I thought these were just regular Sterling. I need to listen. :D

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 12:25:27 »
tsangan - Once I get both masters made (Cherry and OEM profiles) then I'll move on to taking orders.  Then once they're all fulfilled I'll take payment and post them out, then I'll be done for this round.  But there won't be any progress till I'm back in the workshop on Thursday, and it probably won't be till the end of the weekend - if I'm lucky - that I'll have both masters finished.

The_Ed - So I'm making masters, then taking a mould of those masters, making wax modles, casting in precious metal, cleaning the castings, polishing and colouring. 

Making caps with stirling stems and fine elcewhere would involve making a second master without a stem, making a stem master, casting one lot of fine, casting one lot of sterling, cleaning the fine, cleaning the stirling, soldering them togeather - taking up to two hours to ensure perfect algnment, polishing and colouring

If you want a hand fabricated cap, then that's also an option, but the cost will be huge - I haven't been timing myself to the minuite, but call it about 4/5 hours work per cap, at approx. £25/h!  Whats more it would be less perfect than the cast version due to the solder.

Shadovved - Patience young one, patience.  :p

Alessandro - Kid, the plan was originally just sterling, but it's not a huge ammount of extra effort to produce different metals - I'm probably going to do a tester on fine silver, and if it works out ok then it'll be an option too.  MMB was just querying my mentioning of fine silver without defineing it in finness or percentage purity.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 November 2012, 10:04:43 by asura »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 12:37:10 »
Ah... I understand now. So I have to choose fine or sterling for the whole cap. If fine is strong enough in the stem I will be going with that.
R.I.P.ster

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 11:05:44 »
Good news / bad news The_Ed.   I've spoken to Charlie (Edinburgh Assay Office) and luckily he remembered the cap, probably because it was such an unusual thing for them to get.  He says they can't mark the inside of the cap - the angle that the punch would be going in at would require them to hit very hard, so hard it would probably cut through the metal where the cut of the mark would be at its deepest - I hope this makes sense...  However, he told me that, although I'm not technically supposed to do it, I could post down some strips of silver to be hallmarked, then solder them onto the inside of an un-marked key.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 11:19:26 »
How much extra would that hallmarked strip soldering thing cost? Or can I just request that you don't hallmark mine at all since that would be easiest? I believe you said that they were under the limit where they would have to be hallmarked. Aspies hate marks on their shinies...
R.I.P.ster

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 13:50:30 »
Not much, maybe £3?  I'm not doing un-hallmarked ones, sorry, but that's just the way it is.  The absolutely easiest thing for me would be to get the master hallmarked, each casting would be marked without the hassle of sending them down to Edinburgh... But doing something like that comes with a jail sentence of up to 10 years - so it's not something I'll be doing.  Previous punishments include, involuntary forced transportation to the colonies for life, and death by hanging, so they've mellowed out somewhat over the years  :p

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 14:49:50 »
You may have to do a test to see if the hallmarked strip will interfere with switch pressing. But if it doesn't interfere, £3 is a small price to pay for the outside being perfect. Well, perfect if fine silver turns out to be strong enough.
R.I.P.ster

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 17:12:41 »
I think the marking on the outside is quite unique to this as it's made of silver and the easiest way to tell is the stamping so it adds to the uniqueness of the cap, though I also do see here The_ed is coming from and wanting a flawless smooth key to enjoy

I can say that I am definitely interested in it with the marking on the outside for the reason I stated above
Keyboardless

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 17:14:52 »
I wouldn't mind the marking on the outside, on the back of the cap. You wouldn't be able to see it, but would know it's there.

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 01:07:56 »
i'm always in for shiny mettalic thingsss.

you's so passionate about your crafting  ;D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 12:44:48 by mkawa »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 13:04:21 »
I guess that's big enough  :p

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 13:04:48 »
I like it, very much :D

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 13:54:20 »
Looking good so whats happening with that one again?

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:09:20 »
GAH!  They really are massive pic's - I'm out in the sticks at the moment and connection speed is well down... opening these up is like being back in the good ol' 56.6kbs era!

I'm really glad you managed to catch the imperfections on the back.  The top bits are bad solder joint, caused by the repeated re-heating necessary to get the stem in the right position - I think it took 5 additional goes before I got it right, this will not be present in the production models.  The lower one is an error in polishing - I'll make sure that I'm using a brand new mop when polishing up the production models so there will be no "ripple" marks.  And the bits immediately under the punch mark are from the punching - no control over that I'm afraid...

The underside?  We can just pretend we didn't see the underside eh?  It's functional, what more does one require from a stem...

What's happening is yesterday I did our in-shop christmas display and today I've been working on our christmas window display - tomorrow will see it finished, and maybe some work on the cap/s. 

What sill needs doing
Cherry cap needs 0.7mm taking off the height of the stems, and a 45 degree bevel onto each of the stems
Cherry cap needs tube stem soldered onto top of key for wax injecting
Cherry cap needs final filling
Cherry cap needs papering 150, 180, 240, 500, 1000
Cherry cap needs mold producing
Cherry cap needs 2 wax copies producing and sent to Birmingham one for fine silver one for sterling silver
Cherry cap needs me to check it and make sure everything is perfect, if not redo from start.

OEM cap needs measuring
OEM cap needs marking out
OEM cap needs sawing
OEM cap needs sawed edges beveling
OEM cap needs soldering
OEM cap needs thickening at corners
OEM cap needs excess thickening filing down
OEM cap needs marking out for top
OEM cap needs top soldering on
OEM cap needs stem fabricating
OEM cap needs stem soldered into position
OEM cap needs stem position adjusting - possibly un-soldering and re-soldering
OEM cap needs stem cut flush with bottom of cap
OEM cap needs 0.7mm (T.B.C.) taking off the height of the stems, and a 45 degree bevel onto each of the stems
OEM cap needs tube stem soldered onto top of key for wax injecting
OEM cap needs final filling
OEM cap needs papering 150, 180, 240, 500, 1000
OEM cap needs mold producing
OEM cap needs 2 wax copies producing and sent to Birmingham one for fine silver one for sterling silver
OEM cap needs me to check it and make sure everything is perfect, if not redo from start.

Ahhh - miss understood sorry - that one is going to be auctioned off through GH for GH and all proceeds going to GH!
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 November 2012, 15:11:00 by asura »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 04:35:08 »
Sweet when the auction? Im in!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 19:27:32 »
the auction won't go up until next week at the earliest

i only photographed the underside to show the cruciform -- clever and less prone to manufacturing error than some others i've seen

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 24 November 2012, 19:29:33 »
also, my photos don't do the cap justice as far as aesthetics are concerned. this is a VERY good looking cap. it easily competes with my titanium space

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 16:53:47 »
Cherry master finished...

...ugly eh?

For the eagle eyed amongst you, yes, the curve at the front comes 0.4mm-ish too low at the centre point, and at the back it's 0.2mm-ish high overall.  Not quite the level of accuracy I was looking for at the outset, but I don't feel it's unbearable.

I'll be starting on the OEM master this Thursday.

Any thoughts about finishes?  The prototype has a bright polish, but I can do a brushed finish - either regular or irregular - on any or all faces and I have a friend with a sand (...or bead... not sure, must check!) blaster who'll give me some time on it.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 17:10:21 »
thx for the update!

Master looks nice to me, what's that tube on top for?

concerning finishes I think all will look nice, some sample would probably help