Author Topic: Different variants of mx blues?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Zykos

Different variants of mx blues?
« on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 01:06:19 »
I have a Quick Fire rapid tenkeyless with blues switches and a black widow with blue switches. Both keyboards feel a lot different. The blues in the quick fire have a rough grainy feel where the tactile feel is too much. The blues in the black widow feel a lot better where it is smoother. Is it the switches that are different or other factors that come into play such as the keycaps, build and etc... I would like my quick fire to feel the like the black widow.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Different variants of mx blues?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 03:09:46 »
Although there may be some slight variation between the switches, it is more likely the build quality differences between the keyboards.

Actually most people would assess it the other way around - BlackWidows are generally much less well built, poorly put together and flimsy, whereas the QFR is generally regarded as one of the better keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 04:51:02 »
No, OP is right. Blues from black widow is known to feel more light than blues from any other keyboard. This says nothing about build quality of the overall keyboard though. Black widow is still inferior based on the insides.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 05:06:50 »
So the razer bw has blues with a lighter switch? Or slightly different somehow?
SmallFry! <3

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 05:45:36 »
Maybe their spring is as flimsy, and hence, easier to compress?  :)) :)) :))

Offline maxmalkav

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 06:39:04 »
 I'm experiencing something quite similar.

I bought a second hand Cherry with blues (probably built circa 2000). It has been my first MX Blue and the condition of the switches was quite OK, they didn't show uneven wearing.

I've received my Poker with MX Blues a couple of days ago and the feeling of both keyboards is slightly different, I find the Poker switches stiffer than the Cherry ones. I don't think it's a wearing-related issue: all the keys of the Cherry keyboard require the same pressure, both the most commonly used and the rarely used ones.

I don't know if there may be small differences between "old" and more recent MX Blues. Anyway, I have to say that I like both keyboards :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 November 2012, 06:41:34 by maxmalkav »

Offline Bry

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 08:46:37 »
I remember about a year ago, there was some discussion on here about the same thing. I think the conclusion was that the blue switches used in the BW are different. Either they are lubed or have a lighter spring or something, I don't remember the details. And unfortunately, I don't think any of those old threads exist anymore :\

« Last Edit: Wed, 21 November 2012, 08:55:07 by Bry »

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 09:20:59 »
Maybe their spring is as flimsy, and hence, easier to compress?  :)) :)) :))

They are cherry switches = same as everyone else
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 09:29:36 »
Well, maybe Cherry is like Alps and there are 1356 variations on each switch type. :X

If that is the case, I'm going to quit GH and never come back.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 09:35:12 »
That will benefit your wallet very much.

Offline maxmalkav

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 09:51:30 »
I'll have to use the RipOMeter to confirm or refuse my hypothesis :D

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 09:55:33 »
That will benefit your wallet very much.

No kidding. I've finally talked myself into getting ONE board and ONE set of keys. I think I'm gonna go with blues like the OP did, but the prob I'm having is that pretty much rules out a Filco tkl. I'm between the Leo and CM. I guess build quality is similar, and they cost about the same, so I don't know. I'm getting a WASDkeyboards set of keys for whichever I decide on.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 10:06:56 »
Between my KBT pro and PLUM 96 with blue switches the two feel different for the part of the travel, but I'll tell ya they both have the same tactile kick.  I think there are differences, slight differences, in batches.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline ih8

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 10:36:48 »
the black widow makes blues feel cheap, I can't understand how you think it feels better

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 11:21:26 »
There are some slight difference in batch, and there will be feel difference also between pcb and plate, and what plate material steel or aluminum. There is also at least 3 significant 'generation' of blue. I have some very old ones that the click part is black instead of white, these feel smoother than more recent version. I have a few board that have what I consider normal blue like on my Poker and 1813 which have a milky white click part like a clear stem. I also have some misc blue switch I got from someplace that has a very light blue stem, almost pastel, and these feel way different and much lighter and the click part is opaque more like white stem.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 11:29:13 »
There are some slight difference in batch, and there will be feel difference also between pcb and plate, and what plate material steel or aluminum. There is also at least 3 significant 'generation' of blue. I have some very old ones that the click part is black instead of white, these feel smoother than more recent version. I have a few board that have what I consider normal blue like on my Poker and 1813 which have a milky white click part like a clear stem. I also have some misc blue switch I got from someplace that has a very light blue stem, almost pastel, and these feel way different and much lighter and the click part is opaque more like white stem.

Oh god, it's starting!!!! Later bros, I'm out.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 12:23:15 »
Lubeee!!!! It must be the lubeee!!!!!!
SmallFry! <3

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 12:27:26 »

No, Don't lube blues. You will forever regret it...MX Clear spring + blues = WINNING
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 12:47:21 »

No, Don't lube blues. You will forever regret it...MX Clear spring + blues = WINNING

Hmm. Is that kinda like black springs with blue stem? Bad to lube the springs?
SmallFry! <3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 13:13:06 »
Factory second MX blues?  Maybe Razor buys them in bulk.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 13:46:05 »

Ooh what are those called?  I know black springs in blues are ghetto greens.  Wiki says black springs are 60cN and Clear springs are 55cN.  So a bit lighter than ghetto greens? 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 14:13:10 »
Clear springs are heavier than blacks.

Offline firebt

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 19:29:15 »
There's just a possibility that Razer may use a different spring rate for their keyboards, perhaps you can custom tune that as well, when you order in bulk like these companies do. 

Another thing to consider is the key weight and size.  Since there's more weight on a key to begin with, the actuation force is actually lower, since you already provided some of the force with the weight.  This is really obvious when I installed my zinc ESC key.  Much easier to press during games and has a solid and quieter thump. 

The best thing to do is get a 0.01 g scale and measure each key weight on average and check the spring for each one, as well as lubrication.  Those would primarily have a factor on the keyboard switch feeling I think.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 20:50:02 »
Doesn't it depend on the base of the board itself? The Das feels different than a Filco blue to me.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 20:51:16 »
BW does have rubber on the keys...
SmallFry! <3

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 20:55:30 »

Ooh what are those called?  I know black springs in blues are ghetto greens.  Wiki says black springs are 60cN and Clear springs are 55cN.  So a bit lighter than ghetto greens? 
clear springs in blue switches are still ghetto greens. they're actually much closer to greens than black+blue 'ghetto green' because black+blue is lighter.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 22:53:13 »
Just checking in here. No Alps-ish crap, no complexly simplified MX variant crap with such subtle differences you need to be in pitch black to tell them apart. You guys had me scared there for a minute.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:12:12 »
...  in pitch black to tell them apart. You guys had me scared there for a minute.

Then you turned the light back on.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:15:22 »
That Alps thing is about half the reason I left before. There were hundreds of threads with thousands of posts and no one even likes Alps switches. There were close ups and debates over manufacturing technique altering key feel and debates and wars. It's like the Alps switch consumed GH like the T-Virus and morphed it into an unreadable pile of dung.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:20:59 by xsphat »

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:20:39 »
My theory is that everyone likes (or would like) at least one Alps switch... if they could find it.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:22:03 »
My theory is that everyone likes (or would like) at least one Alps switch... if they could find it.

NOO!!

I have some Alps 'boards, but they are the stepchildren of the switch industry.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:24:27 »
Ahh, but you don't have all of them... no one knows what 'all of them' is... so it's just that the one you'd like isn't worth the effort of finding!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:28:57 »
Ahh, but you don't have all of them... no one knows what 'all of them' is... so it's just that the one you'd like isn't worth the effort of finding!

Are you the God of Alps? lol

I used to be big into Alps. I have a rare board I don't talk about here for personal reasons, so I have nothing against Alps switches or the people who use them. It was just 24/7 hot Alps on Alps action and I couldn't take it anymore. It when on for a whole summer.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:39:09 »
My theory still stands! That's pretty much what I meant - a long and exhausting investigation of Alps is beyond sane if it proves inconclusive. Yet 'the one' might still be out there.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 23:59:05 »
Yes, the Neo of Alps. The anomaly. Well, I'd've took the blue pill.

Offline pasph

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 04:02:03 »
My theory still stands! That's pretty much what I meant - a long and exhausting investigation of Alps is beyond sane if it proves inconclusive. Yet 'the one' might still be out there.

Still searching a brown alps board...
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 09:18:00 »
Buy a marker. It may be less fulfilling but it surely would be faster.

Offline pasph

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 19:03:33 »
Buy a marker. It may be less fulfilling but it surely would be faster.

LOL
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"