Author Topic: Modded Keyboard, Why?  (Read 6895 times)

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
Modded Keyboard, Why?
« on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 05:24:46 »
Hello Everyone!

I've been seeing more and more modded keyboard on this website recently and I've been asking myself what does that add to a "normal" mech. keyboard?
What I mean by modded keyboard is this :

Also is there any tutorial or anything website/topic on this website that tells me what I need and how I need to make one? (It's pretty stupid but I would like one for the special cases that I find beautiful)

Sorry if this question as already been asked or If I'm not in the good section.

Thanks in advance,

eNrageDSainT
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 November 2012, 05:29:16 by eNrageDSainT »

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
Re: Modded Keyboard, Why?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 05:48:40 »
I made a Cherry MX Switch Lube Guide with the help of some community members. This might be helpful.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 05:49:05 »
Different people mod for different reasons.

I am "modding" mine because no keyboard company on Earth will sell me a keyboard with proper keycaps that are smooth and last forever.  So they force me to buy keycaps separately.

Then there is the problem of nobody will sell me USA International layout keys so if want to be able to type properly in any of my friend's European languages or use other scientific symbols then I need to put stickers on the existing keycaps.  Or work out some other solution.

I am also installing crashpads under each key for the medical and ergonomic benefits of bending the force curve.  I will conduct different experiments with different ones to see what works best.

At some point in the future I plan to buy a bunch of cheapo keycaps and experiment with gluing different things on top.  Like suede, velvet, satin or that gel substance that they put in those shoe insoles that they sell everywhere.  That would be gr00vy.  Does anyone know where to get square packets of that gel in about 14x14mm?

I am trying to go for the ultimate ergonomic keyboard.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 09:24:30 »
ok thanks for your help guys, but do you know where I can find a case and the things I need to do all that stuff or would it be better for me to buy one already made by someone of the site?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 11:36:54 »
Just spend some time reading the subforum dedicated to DIY stuff.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 15:30:55 »
I mod because I like customizing all the things I own for both appearance and performance... and I will keep tweaking the settings of my board until it is absolutely perfect.
I love Elzy

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 15:55:29 »
Why is part of the picture blurred?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 16:00:34 »

Also is there any tutorial or anything website/topic on this website that tells me what I need and how I need to make one? (It's pretty stupid but I would like one for the special cases that I find beautiful)

People mod because MX switches are limited to only a few varieties. When you switch out parts, you get the desired part combo you want. Also no stock keyboards have lube in it, so lube enhances to smoothness of the keys. Almost all mods require you to desolder switches though. Check out the "making stuff together" subforum if you're into modding. Here is a tutorial thread for a video on the basics to start modding. The example is a ergo-clear switch, but it will apply to every mod that require to you take out the switch:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36728.0

MMB modded people's keyboards, although I'm not sure if he's still offering that. I'm also currently offering custom mods as well.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 16:23:57 »

People mod because MX switches are limited to only a few varieties. When you switch out parts, you get the desired part combo you want. Also no stock keyboards have lube in it, so lube enhances to smoothness of the keys. Almost all mods require you to desolder switches though. Check out the "making stuff together" subforum if you're into modding. Here is a tutorial thread for a video on the basics to start modding. The example is a ergo-clear switch, but it will apply to every mod that require to you take out the switch:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36728.0

MMB modded people's keyboards, although I'm not sure if he's still offering that. I'm also currently offering custom mods as well.

the thing for me is I would like to get a modded bord but only for the visual aspect. something like this :

with some leds. but I don't know where I can buy a case like that nor where I can make it mod. do you offer this type of service? where can I find a case like that?
I'm having a budget of 500$ more or less (even if I would like to pay less ^^ something like 350$ would be the paradise (keycaps not included))

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 16:25:58 »
You can get boards with cases like that from Korea (The Cheat as pictured, KMAC, LZ, etc) although they're very limited. Adding LEDs is completely dependent on whether or not the PCB supports it... if it does then you just have to solder them on.
I love Elzy

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 16:31:08 »
as google is not my friend, do you have some link to buy them? I already looked for it but didn't find anything :s

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 16:34:04 »
You can't simply buy them. Like I said they're very limited and difficult to attain, especially if you're not in Korea. Just gotta be apart of the Korean community or know people who know people, etc.
I love Elzy

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 16:50:33 »
eNrageDSainT, if you mean those aluminum cases, it's not really a "mod". Those are fully assembled Korean keyboards. Most members on here are not able to get one, even if they want one and willing to pay high price for one, because those keyboards are very limited and circulate in Korea mostly. You can change out the keycaps on those keyboards, but that's not really modding it. You're only customizing it.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 16:57:14 »
eNrageDSainT, if you mean those aluminum cases, it's not really a "mod". Those are fully assembled Korean keyboards. Most members on here are not able to get one, even if they want one and willing to pay high price for one, because those keyboards are very limited and circulate in Korea mostly. You can change out the keycaps on those keyboards, but that's not really modding it. You're only customizing it.

oh :( that is sad :( well I'll just spam ebay hopping to get one ... one day :D

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 17:12:45 »
Yeah, exactly what WhiteFireDragon said. Honestly, I don't see a point in this. It's like with limited series' supersport cars. They look cool, but that's it. Any ordinary modern car will do the job just fine when it comes to daily commute, and it might even look good. If you just buy a filco, eventually get/build a custom case and keycaps, and mod switches, you won't lose anything except a bit of street credit.

In case I have $500 to spend on keyboards, I won't even bother. Some great ergonomic keyboards can be had for that price, and they would help me improve my typing comfort (and prevent/reduce pain in wrists) unlike those fancy custom builds.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 17:42:06 »
If you just buy a filco, eventually get/build a custom case and keycaps, and mod switches, you won't lose anything except a bit of street credit.

That's what I did :D
I love Elzy

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 19:03:31 »
lol I'm pretty noob when it comes to this, so I'm only planning to switch out the stock keycaps and get some thick PBTs on my Filco.  And later on I'll swap out the red LED on num/caps/scroll lock for blue LED (because I like blue lol).

So you can say I'm mostly doing it for the looks and typing feel  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline schizrade

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 21:49:30 »
Because China?

;D

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 23:44:12 »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 00:58:28 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 06:50:17 »

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 13:43:55 »
quality ^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 15:00:29 »
Ha!  About half a page down "Because Australia".
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ