Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Hi
« on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 22:24:48 »
Hello  :)

I have been into mechanicals for many years, I ended up joining to get in on a sale then realized I had missed it. Haha, oh well.
Anyhow I started out on an 80's IBM Model M that my family had since new (which has since been lost).

Current boards:
Model M Grey label converted internally to USB from terminal (damaged after a few years of use, I got it free at a shop unaware of what it was)
Model M Blue label ps2 (was planning to return to this, but found it too stiff after using the Das)
Logitech Illuminated (I have 2, one is damaged)
Razer Black Widow Ultimate (bought as an open box, and currently in pieces, used for the Race)
Das with browns, with zinc esc key (from Feng on Ebay).

Current daily use KB:
KBTalking Race S L.E. in white with white LED's and red switches. I added a nice sleeved cable, blue WASD o-rings, and few keys have been swapped with purple side printed PBT keys (also from Feng). Internally, the switch tops have been modded to allow access without removing the LED's, and while the red springs are still in place I replaced the stems with blues locked in a permanent down position, then lubed the stems and springs. I have clear switches on the way, but depending on how they feel, I may stick with the locked blues (I call them "Jailhouse Blues").

So far I love this keyboard it is certainly my favorite. Future plans call for some sound dampening inside and a heavier, stronger chassis, either aluminum or make one from Plexiglass or a combination of Plexiglass and aluminum. It feels a little too light, which is good for travel, but feels cheap otherwise.

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2012, 02:02:34 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 23:20:08 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's an interesting mod to the switches.  Where did you get the idea from?  How does it feel to type?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 23:30:29 »
I'm interested in how it feels as well. What exactly do you mean permanently down?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 23:35:17 »
Cool idea... interested to see how you did your mods!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 23:37:08 »
Sounds like an interesting way to get a good tactile feel with less noise.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 23:44:27 »
Yeah. Wonder how they did it...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 02:01:51 »
Here is how I did the switches.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38091.0
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 13:43:03 »
I'm interested to know how you mod the switch tops to allow access without removing the LED's,

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 18:56:12 »
I'm interested to know how you mod the switch tops to allow access without removing the LED's,
Very carefully?  ;D

I'm not sure if this is worthy of a separate thread, so I will leave it here.
Many will cringe at the idea, but it works.  You stick an Exacto razor blade down in alongside the LED, into the holes, and then slice the top of the switch on each side (see attached image). Make sure it's sharp or it will require a lot of force, and you may want to put something down to protect the circuit board. Then carefully bend the LED over and out of the way. After I got my tops off, I used the razor to clean up the cuts. It did not effect switch stability. Keep in mind that his will not help people with plate mount.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2012, 19:03:37 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 21:02:36 »
This also means the switch is deemed as non resell-able. Appreciate for sharing.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 21:06:51 »
Doesn't matter if a switch top is resellable, they're cheap enough. :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 23:18:30 »
I couldn't care less about switch tops as they are universal and easy to get (not to mention I have nearly 4 boards worth of them, soon to be 5), but if I ever were to sell them, I would disclose it.

More importantly though, I'm spending a small fortune building my dream keyboard for me to use, not to sell.

Besides, with what I have invested in this, a set of tops is nothing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2012, 23:25:21 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More