Author Topic: Manage Windows 7 - uninstall and reinstall  (Read 1509 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Manage Windows 7 - uninstall and reinstall
« on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 09:51:16 »
I may want to uninstall and reinstall Windows 7.

Part of the reason would be to move from a regular hard drive to an SS drive.

I am concerned about "using up" my installations, and/or having Micro$oft worry that the old installation is still active.

What do you do to uninstall or deactivate the current installation, so that the new one takes its place?

In the past, I just wiped and rebuilt, but once, recently, Office 2007 told me that I had used up my installations when I tried to reinstall it on my daughter's computer after a new Windows 7 format.

Thanks!
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: Manage Windows 7 - uninstall and reinstall
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 09:54:46 »
pretty sure when you reboot with t he win7 disc in you can get it to go through the install process and tell it to format your c-drive

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 10:18:21 »
OEM or retail version?

Generally with HDD changes you will not have a problem. If you do, the install may require a call to Microsoft. First step (which is usually enough) is you get connected to an automated helper that will give you a reactivation code. If that doesn't work you can get in touch with a real person and explain to them your HDD wasn't working well so you moved to a SSD.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline jspark

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 11:29:25 »
If you want to remove windows installed on your computer, format the partition where windows are placed. As long as one of your boot loader settings is CD-ROM, your computer lead you installation menu when you boot your computer up with windows 7 cd.
KBC Poker X Cherry MX Black switch
Filco Majestouch2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue switch
IBM Model M 1391401 in 1988

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:21:44 »
Thanks folks, but I suppose that I did not make my question clear.

Is there any specific "uninstall" procedure that "frees up" my disc/code/number and/or to notify MicroSoft that I am not still installed on the old hard drive?
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:23:46 »
Nope!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 18:32:46 »
Thanks, Prof!

Just what I needed - a one word answer.

But here is another question: I got an SSD today and it is a 2.5" but came with a 3.5" aluminum plate for mounting in a 3.5" bay.

Do these things get hot? Should I put a little squirt of thermal grease between them and make that mounting plate into a heat sink also?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 18:46:28 »
Nope SSD dont get hot at all

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 20:39:20 »
The SD card in my camera gets hotter (since it's crammed inside the camera).
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 21:18:03 »
some cases even have like side mounting behind the mb for ssd's since they barely get hot, imo ssd's are the last component you would have to worry about in terms of thermals. did you look at easeus, it's a partition backup software, and free i used it to move my broken ssd raided install to a crappy regular hd, and then move that to a real 128g ssd. i really hate reinstalling an os, even mine. (especially since i reinstalled my kitchen laptop(it fell off the counter, and the mbr was messed up beyond /r repair)and reinstalling wifes from win8 back to win7).