Author Topic: Want to make my own custom caps  (Read 4935 times)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
Want to make my own custom caps
« on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 21:35:37 »
I have been looking for some time now for a set of thick pbt's to pick up, but I don't really like anything that's available right now.  So I started looking into making my own set, but places like signature plastics require at least ten sets.  I don't mind paying a little extra to only have one set made.  Does a place like this exist? 

If I did end up having to set up a group buy, how long does it take to "make and ship"?

Is their better places to get this done than SP?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Want to make my own custom caps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 21:58:24 »
imsto here on the forums offer dyesub production on much nicer thick Cherry profile key.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 22:42:01 »
You haven't said what you want your set to look like.

So I don't know if I would want to go in on it with you.

I am not too picky about colors.

But I am very picky about the profile.

I will prob just end up buying all 10 sets for myself.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 12:23:00 »
I don't know if I would want to go through the hassle of setting up a group buy.  I was just interested in setting up something for myself.  But, like I said, I don't know that a single buy is even possible, in which case I would set up a group buy.  I have never set up a group buy before, however, I'm sure I can count on the assistance of you helpful geekhacker's with experience if it comes to that.   

How long do orders take to both make and ship?

Where besides SP can I go to do something like this, (SP has a min of 10 orders, I think)?  I know about GMK, but you need massive orders, I'm not interested in that.

Profile:
I think everyone prefers cherry right?  TBH I don't really care, one is just closer to the base.  SP has something like DCS profile, I haven't put too much time into researching it.

Plastic:
PBT only.  I know dyesub is the only option right now, however there has been chirping all over about double shot PBT on the horizon, which would be awesome.

Color:
I was thinking of something inspired by the "Red Alert" but not in red.  Possibly something like "cool mint", do you still have to include "Alert" to pay homage to the inspiration?  I don't know, "cool mint alert" just doesn't roll off the tongue very well. 

Another scheme that I liked was mocked up a couple days ago by a new geekhacker, its white on grey.  please don't get mad at me for referencing this pic, it's from "reaper":
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38236.0

I also liked the "coffee cream" or whatever they were calling it in the interest check:  Sorry I can't find the link anymore, do a search, it looked nice.

One last color scheme.  I like the combination of "Dark Grey, Light Grey, and Orange"  mixing keycaps and fonts of course, but don't have anything mocked up.  You'll have to use your imagination, just like on the "cool mint".

Not interested in:
Font:
Elvish Font, or any other crazy stuff.  I'm an adult and don't want to be laughed at by my wife.  "Elvish Font" is a real thing, I've seen it here on this forum.  Not mocking you, it's just not for me.

Crazy colors:
Someone on this forum, ie. not me, has called it "unicorn vomit".  This is actually pretty descriptive.  Again, I'm not mocking you, but this is also not for me.  I only want two to three colors, four max, and likely not going to happen with four.   

Group Buys:
I have a few keyboards to fill, so I will likely take place in a couple to see how the process works.  I like the Toxic set that's up right now.  It's not my favorite, however, the guy seems very organized and it seems very likely to happen, so I'll probly pick up a set of those for sure, I like the base set. 

I also liked that "coffee cream" or "coffee bean" or whatever they were calling it.  it had three colors or so, but was done very nicely.  If they go into group buys, I'll pick one up as well. 

After writing this, maybe I just want to start a group buy.  Is anyone interested in any of the colors I proposed?  I know there is no mock ups right now.  Is there any free online software or a tool at WASD or something where I can mock something like this up? 

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 12:24:41 by KuhnTang »

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 16:23:21 »
I think everyone prefers cherry right?
uhmmm... no.

I only like 12mm profile, sometimes called OEM profile.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 16:37:51 »
I don't care about profile, whatever everyone else would like works with me, however, I think most, as in 95% of people on GH prefer the cherry profile, (means nothing to me).

Arguing over profile is not where i wanted this thread to go though.  What do you guys think about the ideas for the keys?

Offline Vintage

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:10:00 »
Im waiting for someone to do another SP PBT dyesub group buy other that Elvish set. Even if it is a bit pricey. Ragnorocks sc2 set looked cool but it lost interest.

I would love a Red Alert type set.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:40:14 »
I like the red alert themed too, but would you like it if it were in different colors than red?  that's what prompted me for the "cool mint" which is red alert inspired.  For the cool mint I was thinking (light grey, and a light minty green) or (dark grey and minty green)

Same for orange (light grey and dull/dark orange) or (dark grey and bright orange)

I would be OK with either, what about you?  I'm also OK with doing this with as few as ten people, I don't care about the price either.  it's truly not that expensive.

If someone points me in the direction of some free software I'll mock some stuff up and post it here.  Or, if anyone else wants to take the reins on a mock up that would be cool too.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:42:00 »
BTW, I'm also open to different colors if anyone wants to propose anything.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:53:49 »
I like that light gray set.

And purple might be nice to.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 19:16:10 »
I made some mock ups in EXCEL, so they're trash in comparison to some of the ones I've seen on here, so I likely won't post them, but the color schemes look awesome.  I even created one that I didn't mention that has become my new favorite. 

Offline LollyWater

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 20:15:07 »
Sounds alright. I'd probably be down to buy.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 20:20:53 »
Im waiting for someone to do another SP PBT dyesub group buy other that Elvish set. Even if it is a bit pricey. Ragnorocks sc2 set looked cool but it lost interest.

You should sign up for Klaxon, then!

You as well, Kuhn.  It's not green or whatever else, but it's red alert and may be through GMK if orders continue to pile up.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 20:50:31 »
Yeah but I thought those were ABS doubleshot. I was talking about PBT.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 20:52:06 »
Yeah but I thought those were ABS doubleshot. I was talking about PBT.

They are.  I don't think PBT red alert is going to happen for a while, though.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 20:56:31 »
Well I would be fine with any white PBT dyesub....

I am very torn though. I like doubleshots but can't see spending 60$ on ABS. Do they shine that easy? Is the texture nice on the SP molds?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 21:01:47 »
Well I would be fine with any white PBT dyesub....

I am very torn though. I like doubleshots but can't see spending 60$ on ABS. Do they shine that easy? Is the texture nice on the SP molds?

Haven't seen any shine on any of the SP kits I have and I like the texture alright.  Keep in mind that this may also be going through GMK(so thick cherry fun) depending on MOQ requirements.  But the more people sign up and even if it's through SP, the better as the price will just continue to drop.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 21:05:34 »
True. To be honest 57$ isn't too bad.

I am OK with SP. Wyse font looks ok to me and the price is pretty good. I might get this set instead......

Maybe on the QFR w/ Reds I want to get. Bet it would look sick

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 23:00:48 »

You as well, Kuhn.  It's not green or whatever else, but it's red alert and may be through GMK if orders continue to pile up.

do you have a link to Klaxon?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 09:03:38 »

do you have a link to Klaxon?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37225.0

Here you go! I kinda wish I knew about this a few days earlier. I bought a Valentine's set off TechKeys. Not that I regret it but I think that the Klaxon/RA sets look so hot. Also there's Cream Cheese and Green which is a similar theme but in a nice green. You could probably find those in the marketplace. And there's a rumor that Keyboard Story will be selling Cream Cheese and Blue soon. So the same setup but a dark blue. Just some ideas ^_^

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 11:40:36 »
I've been signed up for the RA2 for a while now.  I agree, they look good.  I've never heard about the cream cheese and blue, but it sounds tempting.