Author Topic: [RIP] No More Elvish (Sindarin) Keycap Set  (Read 124138 times)

Offline maxmalkav

Sam, are you going to offer blank sets to non Sindarin buyers? Just curious, tempted to get a blank DSA PBT set, but the whole Sindaring thing is out of my budget.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Sam, are you going to offer blank sets to non Sindarin buyers? Just curious, tempted to get a blank DSA PBT set, but the whole Sindaring thing is out of my budget.

Since we are doing this to help get the Sindarin set made, we are not sure yet.  We need to sell at least 25 of each to make the minimum order quantities.

However what is certain is that if you hook up with a Sindarin buyer, then the two of you can combine to place an order for one of each.  As long as shipping costs are paid, I have no problem shipping the sets to two different places.

How is that?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
I'm in for a dyesub with no blanks, if someone wants a blanks set.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline maxmalkav

jdcarpe, I'll have it into account. I'll talk first with guillaime regarding he is also located in Spain, which would make shipping more easy and inexpensive.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
The GB is on Sindarin, blanks are a bonus. Also I don't want this to go wild :) We have some options here.

1) Let people order just the blanks BUT the MOQ is on Sindarin. If we have 1000 blanks and 24 Sindarins the MOQ is not met and the GB dies

2) The Sindarin to blank ratio must be 1:2 at any given time (or 1:3). So two people can buy blanks only if at least one buys Sindarin

3) If you buy at least 1 Sindarin you can buy any quantity of blanks (but I wouldn't have Ron do the sorting, it's up to the buyer to proxy)

4) Unlock the blanks only when the Sindarin MOQ is met

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
I would have preferred DCS, but I guess DSA is ok too. The main thing keeping me in is the Sindarin, so not really interested in blanks. I have tons of blank sets already.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
The GB is on Sindarin, blanks are a bonus. Also I don't want this to go wild :) We have some options here.

1) Let people order just the blanks BUT the MOQ is on Sindarin. If we have 1000 blanks and 24 Sindarins the MOQ is not met and the GB dies

2) The Sindarin to blank ratio must be 1:2 at any given time (or 1:3). So two people can buy blanks only if at least one buys Sindarin

3) If you buy at least 1 Sindarin you can buy any quantity of blanks (but I wouldn't have Ron do the sorting, it's up to the buyer to proxy)

4) Unlock the blanks only when the Sindarin MOQ is met

I just finished a large group buy, so I see this as being a SMALL group buy. My goal is to ship 25 to 50 Sindarin plus enough blanks to keep Sindarin prices reasonable.  And I imagine Nuclear Green will be BIG.

Therefore, I like options where I don't spend three weeks on shipping 200+ orders around the world.  So 1000 blank sets and 25 Sindarin is not my cup of tea.

I'll start with orders for Sindarin or Sindarin+blanks. Once we hit MOQ for Sindarin, or perhaps earlier, I'll open ordering for blanks alone until we hit MOQ for them.

To encourage people to buy blanks WITH a Sindarin order, Matt3o and I have agreed that blanks alone may not be as cheap as blanks ordered with Sindarin.

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
let's make it simple.

We have 25 slots for Sindarin and 50 for blanks, so blanks can't go wild. You can buy blanks alone but they are going to be more expensive than Blanks bought together with Sindarin. (optiona rule: You can buy more than 1 blank set only if you buy at least 1 Sindarin)

No way to sell more than 25 Sindarin sets, but if it happens we increase the limit to 50:100 (which is a hard limit).

What do you think Ron?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
This should be it:

24711-0

I'm also trying to have something like the following to support winkeyless (it's not actually a full tsangan)

24713-1

Of course we will also have the same but blank.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
no 1.5x and 2x blanks for ergodox? just blank sets? :(

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
no 1.5x and 2x blanks for ergodox? just blank sets? :(

nope, sorry. This is mainly a Sindarin set.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
is the order form on OP is the new one?
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
is the order form on OP is the new one?

Order form is not up yet.  Perhaps today.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
perhaps today? :c
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
this time this it is my fault, I've been busy these days and couldn't work on it. I'll set it up this weekend.

I have to talk with samwisekoi to set up some details... as soon as I see him online.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Almost there! :P

Offline jdeblese

Just wanted to pitch in that I'm interested as well, definitely in Sindarin with tsangan, and maybe in blanks. Hope we make it to 25!
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 05:22:06 by jdeblese »

Offline fuzzyx3000

quite excited for this :D

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
DSA means all the profile are the same right? so if I have a short right shift, an extra caps lock key would be perfect for it?
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
Why do you organizers say "perhaps today" if you're going to ignore the thread for the succeeding 2 weeks? This gb has been going on for many months now, and as much as i love the set i'm pretty sick of this pace.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Why do you organizers say "perhaps today" if you're going to ignore the thread for the succeeding 2 weeks? This gb has been going on for many months now, and as much as i love the set i'm pretty sick of this pace.

You know it's a wonder anyone takes there own time away from their jobs, families, whatever to even do group buys. Most of these 'organizers' are just regular guys who in the end often get stuck with way more work and costs than anticipated, just so we can possibly get a good deal on something that would otherwise never happen.

Give em a break!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
the new order form is ready, we are setting up the last details so to give you the smoothest ordering experience. But if we piss you off just let us know and we close this right away.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
No worries Matt3o we still love you for bringing this from middle earth!  :-*

Will this still be fill up the form then pay up front? If thats the case I may have to wait until 3 days from deadline.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline stoic-lemon

There are people who understand you have other things going on than just this GB. I haven't been here long, but I interstage that patience is a really impotent quality if you want to enjoy GH.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
There are people who understand you have other things going on than just this GB. I haven't been here long, but I interstage that patience is a really impotent quality if you want to enjoy GH.

You speak WAY better English than I speak Japanese, but that's an awesome phrase that I need to use on my boss to see if he's paying attention.

Anyway, psyched to see this finally getting off the ground!!  (order form sent)
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2013, 17:16:35 by cytoSiN »
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Matt3o is kind, and he is doing the coding, but the delay is on me this time.  Too much time, too little to do.

Wait.  Switch that.  Reverse it.  Real Soon Now.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline stoic-lemon

You speak WAY better English than I speak Japanese, but that's an awesome phrase that I need to use on my boss to see if he's paying attention.

Anyway, psyched to see this finally getting off the ground!!  (order form sent)

Holy......I don't even....I didn't notice I had written that. I will use the excuse that I was in a hurry swiping on my phone and my fingers couldn't keep up. 

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
It's much more entertaining if you meant exactly what you said :)  But I'll take it either way.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
any updates? :/

Offline dancerlily

can I order this keycap set now?

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
Yes, there's an order form on the first post.

Offline jdeblese

Yes, there's an order form on the first post.

Isn't that the old one? Says it ends on January 14...
Or are they using it to judge interest. I'm definitely after a set, but haven't filled that form out as I was waiting for the new one Ron mentioned.

Order form is not up yet.  Perhaps today.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
Hrm, you may be right.  I may have misinterpreted Matt3o's June 24 post that "the new order form is ready."

Offline jdeblese

Saw that one too, but when I checked the OP link it hadn't changed. I assumed he meant the form's ready but other aspects of the buy aren't yet.

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
As a guy perusing a Master in Tolkien Studies, i'm basically obligated to buy this keycap set.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline stoic-lemon

Tell all your friends!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
As a guy perusing a Master

:eek:

LOL how does one peruse a master? assuming one spells properly, one goes here: http://www.mythgard.org/
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
updates? :/ any changes to the OP form?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube

Man it's like you feel entitled to this set. You must be new here... one thing you'll learn about GB on here is that you must be patient. This is all voluntary work. No one is going to quit their day jobs and real life obligations so you can get your stuff earlier.

Offline stoic-lemon

One does not simply ask for updates.......3 times. This is clearly a complicated piece of organization. Make like an Ent and wait.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
One does not simply ask for updates.......3 times. This is clearly a complicated piece of organization. Make like an Ent and wait.

To be frank, I'd prefer the GB be re-opened for orders around mid-August, there are four or five other group buys all closing in July that I've got to find funds for.   :rolleyes:

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr

Man it's like you feel entitled to this set. You must be new here... one thing you'll learn about GB on here is that you must be patient. This is all voluntary work. No one is going to quit their day jobs and real life obligations so you can get your stuff earlier.

yup, i'm a college student and i've been saving up money for this set for a while now. i check this thread daily, and i get a little upset when i don't see an update. please excuse my impatience...

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
Noob questions incoming: does the tsangan kit includes a short right shift?
I asked this because in Miami GB their tsangan kit includes it but I remember before I saw
a GB that has a tsangan kit that doesn't have the right shift.
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline Magnusian

Up to 32 now? Woop! Maybe this set will actually happen.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
I'm definitely interested in this.
Now to patiently sit back and wait for an update  ;D

Offline Darksair

• My Homepage
Very interested!  But I’m with a tight purse right now, I kinda want to wait the 50 mark.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: [RIP] No More Elvish (Sindarin) Keycap Set
« Reply #397 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 15:06:38 »
It is with some considerable sadness that we have decided we must cancel this Group Buy.  Among other things, surprise multi-thousand-dollar charges have popped up, and we can't sustain it.

If anyone really, really wants Sindarin/Elvish keycaps, we would be happy to send a copy of the layout file over to WASD Keyboards.  They have indicated to me that they can laser etch sets onto their customizable ABS keycaps.

Other than that, it has been fun to work on, and frankly, it was this collaboration that connected Matt3o and samwisekoi.  Thus, the Sindarin loss was Retro DSA's gain.

Best to everyone who supported this proposed buy,

- Matt3o and samwisekoi

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #398 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 15:11:26 »
It's probably for the best. My ideals have changed a lot since this, and I don't think I would've wanted to buy them so much as I would have because I put my name down for them in the beginning.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #399 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 15:22:17 »
The concept was very cool, and was the first group buy I signed up for when I joined GH.  Maybe sometime down the road someone will revive this design.

Thanks for letting us know.