Author Topic: Getting First Mechanical Keyboard (Quiet pro or Filco?)  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Firefly303

Getting First Mechanical Keyboard (Quiet pro or Filco?)
« on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 13:26:27 »
Really unsure of which way to go, Apparently Filco has the best quality and im torn between getting their Majestouch-2 with brown switches http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=757 or the Quiet Pro. only problem is, (sorry if its a stupid question) i cant seem to find what switches the QP is built with. Also, is it PS/2 compatible? i know N key rollover has some problems in USB mode. I really think Browns are a nice balance between typing and gaming. and if the  filco i wanted was even available on amazon there wouldnt be a question to what i would get. unfortunately the brown switch filco keyboard without an horrendous camo frame isnt available. >> http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Keyboard-FKBN104M-EMU2/dp/B005J938VK/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&m=A104717BI2VJF7&qid=1356548246&s=generic&sr=1-12 and UK shipping is insane if i order from here>> http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=623
Advice please!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Getting First Mechanical Keyboard (Quiet pro or Filco?)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 16:30:19 »
If you are referring to the Matias Quiet Pro, Matis has a vendor forum here, and there are a few threads about the Quiet Pro.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=103.0

Have a browse - it might provide some insight to facilitate your decision.

And if you are in the UK, there is: http://www.keyboardco.com/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 16:32:18 »
What ever you do dont start with brown switches, they are crap. Go for blue or red switches in Filco.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 17:22:44 »
What ever you do dont start with brown switches, they are crap. Go for blue or red switches in Filco.

Idk i would say go to a computer store like micro center and test out the different switches before you get any.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 17:35:39 »

I've never understood why people don't like brown switches, they're probably one of the most balanced and the perfect introductory switch.  Tactility, not too light, not too heavy; no dissuading click.  I've played plenty of games with them and apparently don't have any issues typing well.

While I don't have any experience with the Matias, no one has ever said "man, I really regret buying that Filco with MX Browns as my first keyboard!"

I've known at least 20 people who started out with MX Browns and 0 complaints.  If for whatever reason you don't like them, you can resell the board with ease and try something else.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 December 2012, 17:38:34 by precarious »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 17:37:24 »

I've never understood why people don't like brown switches, they're probably one of the most balanced and the perfect introductory switch.  Tactility, not too light, not too heavy; no dissuading click.

While I don't have any experience with the Matias, no one has ever said "man, I really regret buying that Filco with MX Browns as my first keyboard!"

I've known at least 20 people who started out with MX Browns and 0 complaints.  If for whatever reason you don't like them, you can resell the board with ease and try something else.

Man, I really regret buying that Filco with MX Browns as my first keyboard.

Offline precarious

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 17:39:01 »

Like I said, no one has said it.

<3

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 17:40:46 »

Like I said, no one has said it.

<3

Oh, I just realized my first was a Ducky YOTRabbit with blacks, and I love it. And I'd love it if it was browns. I don't even know what thread I'm posting in :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 00:07:06 »
Do we all love our first modern mechanical keyboard?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 02:16:13 »

I thought brown switch is the most popular starting switch, like precarious said it's the most balanced of all switches.

Good for typing, gaming, and doesn't make loud noises.  In fact my first keyboard had brown switch.

Yupe even though I know in general geekhack isn't too fond of Das Keyboard.  But personally I still love it and now it will be cooler because you can't get Costar made Das Keyboard anymore  :P

=========================================================================================

To answer OP, I haven't heard any complaint on either keyboards actually.  So you can't go wrong.

Though due to availability and popularity, Filco brown might have an edge over Quiet Pro since it's been out longer that and Filco is worshipped as the best brand.  However I'm very interested in buying a Quiet Pro recently so if I do end up getting one I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 December 2012, 02:20:00 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline spacecase

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 02:50:46 »
To reply to your question of what kind of key the Matias is using. According to Engadget Matias is using a modified Alps switch. http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/11/matias-quiet-pro-keyboard-review/

I own two Filcos with brown switches and I really like them I got mine from the keyboard company in the UK. In retrospect I don't think it was worth all the extra money to get a Filco over say Leopold or even a Rosewill despite the USB issues.

For someones first mechanical keyboard I usually recommend MX blue based keyboards. I suggest those for the simple reason that mechanical keyboards are generally so much more expensive than standard keyboards and have such an arcane mystique surrounding them that the buyer expects a WOW moment from the very first press which blues deliver on with their sharp click and tactile feel.

Personally I like Topre 45g uniform the best, if I couldn't have that I'd have a brown it has a light touch and enough tactility that I can be assured of the press. Blue is also excellent and should be on your list if you are alone. I have no experience with the Matias boards.

Offline spacecase

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 02:52:57 »
Get the Filco.  Worst case scenario if you don't like it you'll have 10 people fighting over taking it off your hands.

He has a point.

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 03:31:18 »
I don't even have a Filco yet, and I wish I did!
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 03:36:17 »
mine was razer blackwidow. guess what? i disassembled it the next day after purchase for spare parts.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 23:32:31 »
The QuietPro uses a specially designed Matias Quiet switch, which is based on the old ALPS cream switches. They are dampened both at the bottom and top of the stroke.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Firefly303

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 03:39:48 »
thanks guys! I decided to order the camo filco and just spray paint it. :)

Offline precarious

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 03:48:42 »
thanks guys! I decided to order the camo filco and just spray paint it. :)

If you're only ordering that one because the one you want is out of stock, I'd really just wait for one to show up in the classifieds or until they're in stock again.

Offline Firefly303

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 04:16:04 »
well i planned on customizing it eventually anyways, so the original stock color didn't matter much. It has everything i originally wanted, Ill just customize it a bit sooner than planned ;)