Author Topic: starting on the path towards building my own keyboard  (Read 2076 times)

Offline william

starting on the path towards building my own keyboard
« on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 13:45:59 »
hey everybody.
 like the title implies, i'm just starting my journey, but i'm working towards building a custom keyboard. i've only been designing layouts so far, so i've got a very long way to go. i'm wanting to get involved in the community early, in hope of some of you clever types might help prevent me from running with nonsense ideas for too long.

but anyway, here is my layout i am currently using:

and here is the keyboard (in its current state) that i am hoping to eventually build out:

pretty much copped the humblehacker layout here, just a few changes.

looking forward to meeting everyone and continuing to learn from these forums.
william
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 December 2012, 18:44:21 by william »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: starting on the path towards building my own keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 14:01:11 »
You should take a look at the ErgoDox project.

Link here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780

Oh, and Welcome to Geekhack!
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 December 2012, 14:04:57 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 16:30:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline william

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 18:39:55 »
thank you sirs, and thanks for the link; i will check it out.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 18:57:12 »
This may not be exactly what you're looking for but maybe a Tipro might work for you

100% programmable
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 19:46:53 »
How'd you come about using that layout? It's pretty exotic. Also, welcome fellow GH newbie ^_^

Offline william

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 12:49:49 »
I might have to keep an eye out for one of those Tipros. I don't think I would ever be able to justify the price of a new one though.

I'm still rearranging keys, but the main ideas behind the layout I'm working on is to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome and have key groupings that are more logical to my brain. I spent a few days with Dvorak, and while I liked a few aspects of it, a good bit of it made no sense to me. I switched to Colemak after that, which I like and am typing this response with, but i feel like its similarities to QWERTY actually make learning and switching between the two layouts more difficult for me. I want an optimized layout that makes no concessions to QWERTY, and this is where I am at with that right now. Still need to account for bigrams (common letter sequences) and I might like W to be more accessible.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 December 2012, 13:00:49 by william »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 00:59:48 »
I might have to keep an eye out for one of those Tipros. I don't think I would ever be able to justify the price of a new one though.

I'm still rearranging keys, but the main ideas behind the layout I'm working on is to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome and have key groupings that are more logical to my brain. I spent a few days with Dvorak, and while I liked a few aspects of it, a good bit of it made no sense to me. I switched to Colemak after that, which I like and am typing this response with, but i feel like its similarities to QWERTY actually make learning and switching between the two layouts more difficult for me. I want an optimized layout that makes no concessions to QWERTY, and this is where I am at with that right now. Still need to account for bigrams (common letter sequences) and I might like W to be more accessible.

Cool, I'm worried about carpal tunnel as well but I don't think I want to re-learn something else besides QWERTY. I'm trying to use better ergonomics instead: better posture, better setup, better rests. But this is a really cool project. Glhf!