Author Topic: Where to get custom keycap sets for cheap  (Read 9992 times)

Offline phillyd

Where to get custom keycap sets for cheap
« on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 14:52:58 »
First post here.

I bought a Razer BlackWidow Tournament (please don't hurt me) new for $55 and I want to get a keycap set for it. I'll get into the details of why I bought it later.

I'd like a custom setup but I'd like the option to have an LED friendly key for the caps lock key, so I guess I could get that separate. The only keys I want printed on are the secondary functions of the F1-F12 keys, and on the front of the key instead of the top. I was pointed to a blank set here for 35 dollars but I don't know how to get the F1-F12 keys cheaply.

For F1-F12 I really want black keys front printed with their secondary functions.

Any ideas?

As for my history with mechanical boards, I've owned three. I owned a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (blues) last year, and a Cooler Master Storm Trigger (browns) recently. I like blues, need media keys,want a matte black finish, didn't have a big budget, needed Tenkeyless and like the razer's look. Only other option I saw was a Ducky Shine II TKL which would've been over twice as much. The only complaints I had with my BlackWidow Ultimate were the keycaps and the finish of the board. They have gotten rid of the gloss finish on the newer boards and I'm going to get a keycap set soon.USB
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2013, 19:31:54 by phillyd »

Offline Dgsbllx

Re: Where to get custom keycap sets for cheap
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 14:59:04 »
Stopped reading at 'I bought a Razer BlackWidow Tournament'...
j/k Welcome to the forum  :D

Perhaps for the f1-f12 keys you could pick up a billiards set?

Offline phillyd

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 15:02:56 »
Stopped reading at 'I bought a Razer BlackWidow Tournament'...
j/k Welcome to the forum  :D
Perhaps for the f1-f12 keys you could pick up a billiards set?
Hah thanks for the welcome, I'm a noob so what do you mean by billiards set? Like keys that look like pool balls? That would be cool. But I really would like something more plain. Feel free to make any suggestions though.

Welcome to Geekhack and how about something like this?  They're not that cheap though.

QWERKeys sells them but since they're based in UK, the shipping can be quite high (link).
Yeah cheap is a priority.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 15:08:10 »
Sorry by billiards i mean this set;

(borrowed image from YoungMichael88 i'm sure he won't mind  :D)

Techkeys.us used to sell them but now they only do the glow in the dark caps which are $30 (http://www.techkeys.us/custom-keys.php)
There always seems to be an odd set of the non glow in the dark ones knocking around the classifieds anyway and they should be a bit cheaper!
What are you classing as cheap?

Offline phillyd

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 15:18:52 »
It looks like $35 for a full set can be found, and I think another $15 for custom F1-F12 keys would be great. I'd really like black, and to front print the secondary functions with nothing on the tops.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 18:40:51 »
I'm still using a Razer Blackwidow at work until I found a second board I really like. No worries ^_^. Everyone has to start somewhere! Anyways, I just picked up a Billiards set for ~$20. Idk if that blows your budget but you can definitely get the set for around that price. Good Luck with your help and welcome to GH!

Offline link_tree

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 21:43:55 »
first of all I am assuming you are not the Philip DeFranco (Phillyd) from youtube am I right?
second by secondary functions printed on the front of the keycaps I think he's speaking about the volume up/down/mute stuff that's going on on the razer blackwidow
IMO you'd be hard pressed finding something like that. especially with blank front.

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 12:08:43 »
Here's my Razer blackwidow tourney edition that I just modded!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

I got the keycaps at WASDkeyboards. Came out to be something like 50-60 bucks but you can get just a blank set for 40-50 I think
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 12:15:24 »
For custom front print you may want to consider getting a blank black set and buying some small dry transfer letters and applying them yourself. A few people have done this on here with success. They can be found online or at hobby stores (used for models, train sets, etc).

I think I saw you post something on OCN about this. Welcome to GH!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 19:11:01 »
I recommend the Leopold FC700R!