Author Topic: cleaning model M keycaps  (Read 1501 times)

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
cleaning model M keycaps
« on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 20:31:08 »
i've decided its time to give my model m a good cleaning, i was contemplating bolt modding it but it seems in really strong condition, no rattle, no flex i have a feeling all the rivets will be intact so i dont want to mess with it unless needed.

i've taken some of the keycaps off and particularly the numpad are filthy.

they have the "dual" or "insert" caps not sure what they are called but they have an inner part and an outer cover with the letter/number on it.

i mainly want to know if they are all the same or do i have to make sure they all line up with the appropiate number/letter? or are they similar to normal profile keys with R1, R2, R3, R4 etc?

just worried if i chuck them all in a big collinder for cleaning and the caps come apart from the stems i wont be able to match them back up again. and i dont feel like doing them all one by one.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: cleaning model M keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 20:33:24 »
They are all the same profile, so when you take em apart, don't worry about organizing them.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 20:41:04 »
They are all the same profile, so when you take em apart, don't worry about organizing them.

ok awesome good to know, same profile across the whole board?

going to dump them in some denture tabs and go to work on the board.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 20:42:18 »

ok awesome good to know, same profile across the whole board?

going to dump them in some denture tabs and go to work on the board.

Yup! I've done a few and bought a bag from unicomp and they go anywhere, minus the bigger caps of course.