Author Topic: Azio Mech 5 spacebar  (Read 2261 times)

Offline MattBuzzy

Azio Mech 5 spacebar
« on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 07:48:22 »
Being new to modding keyboards I have no idea about things like key lengths, and was wondering if someone could please tell the the length of the spacebar on the Azio Mech 5?

I know it is non standard, and the control keys are .25 longer each, so I assume the spacebar is .5 shorter than standard but what is standard?

Also where could I get a custom replacement? The bar type is a 3 post with stabiliser bar, would anywhere even do a custom bar or am I stuck with the standard one unless I paint it myself?

What I want is quite simple, all I want is a white bar, with a duck wearing and astronaut helmet in the middle of the bar. (Dragonball Z Abridged fans will understand :P)

If I could get some information on this bar it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: On doing some more research, WASD spacebars seem to be 6.75, making mine 6.25 if I am not mistaken..
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 January 2013, 19:57:50 by MattBuzzy »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Azio Mech 5 spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 11:48:27 »
It appears to be 5.75 space. It's non standard and basically you are stuck with it. You won't find that size for aftermarket cap anywhere.
Most current boards use the 6.25 size. Other common standards are 6 and 7, though even these can be tricky to find for aftermarket depending.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 20:02:54 »
Ouch... I guess I will have to paint it myself or just leave it. If I do paint it, could anyone recommend what paint I use that will not wear off quickly or damage my key?

Or even of a service I could send my spacebar too and have it done? ... hmm that would be expensive.

Maybe I will just live with a black Spacebar (which I don't mind really as they are fairly high quality stock keys) and get my next keyboard which will hopefully be a Quickfire Rapid with MX Greens with the custom bar I want.

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 20:15:42 »
Ouch... I guess I will have to paint it myself or just leave it. If I do paint it, could anyone recommend what paint I use that will not wear off quickly or damage my key?

Or even of a service I could send my spacebar too and have it done? ... hmm that would be expensive.

Maybe I will just live with a black Spacebar (which I don't mind really as they are fairly high quality stock keys) and get my next keyboard which will hopefully be a Quickfire Rapid with MX Greens with the custom bar I want.

Hmmm I don't think you'll have that easy of a time finding a Quickfire with MX greens (not that common from what I've seen available in retail)...

It seems like you would most likely having a spacing issue on the bottom row where your spacebar is. So your only option is to spray paint. What works is basically to sand down the spacebar (use a low to high grit (60-250 or so)). You can pick up variety packs of this sort of thing in most stores that have this kind of stuff. Then get yourself a primer, and a spray paint that binds to plastic (or any really that says it's made for plastic, or supports it at least). Then be patient with the spray painting and take it one coat at a time. And make sure you do a wet sand on the space bar (and do it properly, invest a bit of time into this process to be sure you've got the whole thing).
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 20:29:41 »
Why not consider a different key.
Get one on one or more mod keys. WASD can do this, and it wouldn't wear off, but it would only be two toned. You could even make it cover several keys. A perfect spot is the Windows or the ESC key.

If you do paint one, you want paint designed to flex and/or for plastics. Get a model paint kit from a hobby store, and be sure to use lots of clear and redo the clear at the first signs of wear. Fingernail polish could also work, but will be a lot more expensive.

QFR with greens are available at the CM-Storm store and appear to be in stock.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 21:14:47 »
Why not consider a different key.
Get one on one or more mod keys. WASD can do this, and it wouldn't wear off, but it would only be two toned. You could even make it cover several keys. A perfect spot is the Windows or the ESC key.

If you do paint one, you want paint designed to flex and/or for plastics. Get a model paint kit from a hobby store, and be sure to use lots of clear and redo the clear at the first signs of wear. Fingernail polish could also work, but will be a lot more expensive.

QFR with greens are available at the CM-Storm store and appear to be in stock.

I stand corrected! :)

Also that sounds like a fantastic way to do it as well. Might work better that way
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 21:43:33 »
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will take it all into consideration and make a decision based on what feels the best route to go down.

Unfortunately for the reference to be perfect it would need to be the space bar http://tfsrox.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Duck that being said though I could make a space duck key, it just wouldn't be my spacebar. 

Currently looking at getting a yellow Ducky keychain from Cactux and using it as my escape key but the ridiculous cost of postage in Australia is proving to make things difficult.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 21:51:12 »
Time for a new keyboard Matt.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 23:29:09 »
XD I was planning on getting one with blues or greens for Uni anyway so that is fine with me :P