Author Topic: Pewter Model m keycaps  (Read 17723 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Metal Model m keycaps: V3 - new pics
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 09:35:57 »
I just received 2 blank metal keycaps, and they are wicked bad !

They look great and fit perfectly.

It will be interesting to see how they develop patina over time. I am wondering whether I should pull them once a week and rub my fingers all over all 4 sides to get some matching skin fluids on them, to make them "age" the same as the typing surface.

Great work, Ben!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline osrix

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 13:04:16 »
Thanks man, Glad you like em, Ive developed the process a little further so they are now super clean, without the pitting I had before.
Throw up some pics, I also wana see your board! :D

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 22:11:29 »
I just got an email from techkeys selling metal Model M keycaps in the artisan keys section. Looks very similar to these.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 22:18:57 »
Thats because it is!

MKey = orsix

Offline osrix

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 15:47:50 »
Its true V4's! Exclusive to Techkeys! ;D

Offline WarNutts

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 20:13:34 »
Wow they look great. Nice job.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 11:20:08 »
Continue to improve, for sure. Watching this thread until you get that whole board filled up. :D
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline osrix

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 13:20:42 »
Yeah, Thanks massive improvement on V1!  I still wana do my whole board but until i find a satisfactory way of engraving (or?) I cant cos I dont touch type yet so cant have blanks!!"
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 March 2013, 14:34:58 by osrix »

Offline joules

Re: Metal Model m keycaps: V4 - new pics!!!
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 20:02:32 »
I could still do with some advice on engraving or some way to get really nice letters and symbols, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

I any case I hope this is of some interest to someone, I love my Model M :D
Oh hey awesome! \M/METAL\M/ key kaps!

I...(yeh whatever geeks are good at everything..)..

Acid etching would be the way. Have you thought of that? You could even oxidize the resulting pit.

Theres also Tint etching, that I know nothing about.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 00:38:38 »
I wouldn't mind getting 4 keys but $64 seems a bit steep. They look good though.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 06:35:57 »
I could still do with some advice on engraving or some way to get really nice letters and symbols, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Here's some advice:

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/engravers/

Don't buy one of the machines -- they're expensive, but do try to find someone in your area that owns one of these machines. Call Roland (the manufacturer) and ask if they know of someone in your area that has a machine of theirs that could accomplish what you need. In fact, get a few people, and then job it out and see what they can do for you in terms of price. Give them some subpar pieces to experiment on.

I agree with the people (fohat and others) who recommend starting with Esc for starting out with engraving. Those will sell the easiest in the beginning.
If I had an engraving machine myself I would gladly offer it's services, but, sadly, I don't.

Great looking work so far, and thanks for making some Buckling Spring stuff -- they needed some attention! Once there's an engraved set, I WILL be picking up an entire set.

EDIT:

My guess is that you would have to modify your mold so that more than one key could be engraved at a time; arranged in some kind of very consistent matrix, which, after engraving, would be broken away. But that's just my guess -- doing one key at a time would be mind-numbingly slow. Maybe you could start with an engraved WASD cluster?
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2013, 06:48:52 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 01:27:11 »
But that's just my guess -- doing one key at a time would be mind-numbingly slow. Maybe you could start with an engraved WASD cluster?

From my impression of the typical Model M user, HJKL may be a better option ;)

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 11:19:40 »
Techkeys should sell the whole cap, not just the top cover. Then I could buy your metal caps for my Unicomp board. (1 piece caps currently installed)

Edit;
Well I guess it's easier said than done lol. Not a lot of spare Model M caps floating around.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 March 2013, 11:37:42 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 18:06:17 »
Looks awesome, in a rustic, sculpted kind of way.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 20:20:41 »
Just buy a one unit blank from Unicomp.  Specify that you want the 2 piece cap.
Russ

Offline osrix

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 12:43:39 »

Here's some advice:

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/engravers/

Don't buy one of the machines -- they're expensive, but do try to find someone in your area that owns one of these machines. Call Roland (the manufacturer) and ask if they know of someone in your area that has a machine of theirs that could accomplish what you need. In fact, get a few people, and then job it out and see what they can do for you in terms of price. Give them some subpar pieces to experiment on.

I agree with the people (fohat and others) who recommend starting with Esc for starting out with engraving. Those will sell the easiest in the beginning.
If I had an engraving machine myself I would gladly offer it's services, but, sadly, I don't.

Great looking work so far, and thanks for making some Buckling Spring stuff -- they needed some attention! Once there's an engraved set, I WILL be picking up an entire set.

EDIT:

My guess is that you would have to modify your mold so that more than one key could be engraved at a time; arranged in some kind of very consistent matrix, which, after engraving, would be broken away. But that's just my guess -- doing one key at a time would be mind-numbingly slow. Maybe you could start with an engraved WASD cluster?

Thanks for such good advice and ideas, much appreciated. I'll get on it!!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 14:21:50 »
Thanks for such good advice and ideas, much appreciated. I'll get on it!!

No worries. Thanks for supplying the community something new! Let us all know how your search goes.

Then move on to making thin copper keycaps, so I can have a keyboard with a patina. (kidding!)
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline osrix

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 15:11:18 »
Full on model F not mine unfortuantely but nice very nice :D 39496-0

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
Re: Pewter Model m keycaps
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 16:04:38 »
GIMME!
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 16:55:17 »
Very cool caps, pretty slick as blanks, let alone with engraving, and very nice to see some buckling spring love. Great to see this.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 16:58:17 »
Those are beautiful.
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 17:08:41 »
And somebody did the ANSI mod on it, too!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline osrix

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 17:37:04 »
 getting some serious cravings for Model F now :/
Fohat whats the ANSI mod - sorry googled ..now i get it :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 17:58:46 by osrix »