Author Topic: plum mx 96 new version and questions?  (Read 15206 times)

Offline xsmooth69x

plum mx 96 new version and questions?
« on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:47:26 »
so im really looking into mechanical keyboards.

right now i have a cherry mx brown cmstorm trigger keyboard. i hate it and im returning it. the browns are just to soft for me and the buttons have a slight scratchy feeling when you depress them. i want more of a tactical feed back so im thinking going down the green path.

then i decided i wanted to play around with all the different types of switches. i decided to go with a pcb mounted keyboard that has 96 keys. looking into the plum mx 96. i believe the quickfire tx is plate mounted.

so when deciding how i should get this keyboard i know IMSTO can get them but i have read on other sites that taobao can ship the plum mx 96 with green switches.

so then i decided to look at taobao and found a different version of the plum mx 96. i dont know if its a knock off or a v2 take a look..........

easy to see that the plum on the space bar is replaced by morphling and the boxes are different.

what confuses me is the space bar

original plum mx 96 (stock photos from around the web)

this is an intresting photo.

i remember IMSTO saying this (post 27 http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33288.0)

"Typing on one of these bad boys now, though I as just moved into a new house pictures will have to wait so I will provide a quick rundown of this (minus the wireless which I will do when I take pictures).

1. PCB mounted Black MX switches.
2. Nice thick POM caps. 
3. About 1 inch wider in total width than my Filco MJ1 (main cluster is the same width, it is basically just adding another column of keys as it appears)
4. Fairly light weight (PCB mounted probably a big reason for this)
5. Spacebar stabilizers are not the standard Filco,Ducky spacing.  The stabilizers are not the same as the Leo 200 series either.  The stabilizers are strangely enough spaced the same as the Leo 500 series (fullsize boards).  The spacebar that comes with the PLUM is appears to be designed to fit all three of these (Filco/Ducky, Leo500,Leo200) spacing plus the offset Cherry spacebar.
6. Fairly standard smooth usb detachable cable."

number 5 is what im concerned with because post 28 was really disappointed for some reason..... Can someone explain why #5 was such a let down?

and since i found that picture do you think plum is showing this picture of the space bar to address this issue??

-------------------

Other PLUM by Morphling

so this last image shows a different space bar style?

« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:14:03 by xsmooth69x »
Fast, Reliable, Cheap
pick 2 and the 3rd is what its not.

Offline reverkiller

Re: plum mx 96 new version and questions?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:20:24 »
That last image, to me, makes it look like its plate mounted. See how there are two distinct colors? The yellowish PCB and the black plate?

I'm also interested in a new kind of stabilizer, wondering how it would work
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline xsmooth69x

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:27:41 »
sir you are absolutely right!!!

looking through more pics this is what the original looks like

Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Offline xsmooth69x

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:30:01 »
can anyone enlighten me on the whole space bar thing? is it just uncommon and that i wont be able to buy custom space bars or is the functionality messed up?
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Offline xsmooth69x

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:38:30 »
the thing is i actually use the enter key on the keypad when i game. i let go of my mouse and quickly tap that enter button sometimes.

and i occasionally on this computer do some excel stuff for work.

so just having the option is nice then getting a straight up tenkeyless.

and if i build this keyboard out i want it to be as functional as possible or if i ever take it somewhere i just want the option for the number pad. and im not going to get a straight ten key and keep it on the side and go tenkeyless i just dont need the extra stuff in and around my desk.

i might think about the TK but it is plate mounted and i dont really want to de solder all those switchs
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Offline xsmooth69x

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:40:38 »
and am i missing something why would it be pure hell with the num lock?

from what i understand there is a mode for the tenkey and a mode for the arrows home button page up etc and disables all the number buttons
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Offline xsmooth69x

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:58:25 »
ya thats a very good point.

but in excel you usually enter a number and hit enter and the ur down one cell. hit tab to go to the right.

then if you ever do mess up you have to lift you right hand off the tenkey anyways to get to the arrow keys anyways might as well up that right hand on the mouse and do it. hit the number lock

theres always a disadvantage to smooshing keys together but i just like having the idea that i do have a tenkey

Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Offline xsmooth69x

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 23:02:26 »
so what is the deal with the space bar on the plum?

also is there anything else that is a disadvantage with this specific keyboard? i also came across someone mentioning that the LED holes if you decided to solder them in are reversed?

what is the flex like with a pcb mounted keyboard like? i am unfortunately a key bottom outer
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 11:15:26 »
The only issue the spacebar has is if you want to replace the spacebar keycap. The odd spacing of the stems make replacements very hard to locate. Other than that it has no other downfall from a usability point.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 11:24:05 »
That last image, to me, makes it look like its plate mounted. See how there are two distinct colors? The yellowish PCB and the black plate?

Ugh. Good call. I was hoping for easier access to PCB mounted boards like the PLUM 96 and it seems they've gone the plate route. Boo!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 11:32:58 »
As you can see in my post here...
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33155.msg656360#msg656360

The spacebar on the PCB mounted PLUM96 models was the Leopold 500 spacing only as far as the stabilizer was concerned.  The thick POM caps that come on these boards have a very universal spacebar, but the common replacement spacebars are not.

I would agree that your picture indicates that the PLUM96 is plate mounted instead of PCB mounted.
Erlang your pants off

Offline xsmooth69x

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 18:41:39 »
the one that is the plate mounted one is just that one odd plum 96 i found made by Morphling.

all the other ones everywhere on the interweb are just the regular old plum 96. it was only that 1 was the only one i found of that nature on taobao
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Offline Habbe

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 06:52:20 »
I was thinking about buying that v2 yesterday. Now that I know the difference I won't 0.o

I found this site to purchase from http://www.offerany.com/index.php?route=product/mysearch&path=0&sorttype=4&q=plum96
I have no idea how good they are, but I think I'm gonna buy it from there.

Now I just have to decide if I want white or black...

Offline xsmooth69x

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 12:32:57 »
I was thinking about buying that v2 yesterday. Now that I know the difference I won't 0.o

I found this site to purchase from http://www.offerany.com/index.php?route=product/mysearch&path=0&sorttype=4&q=plum96
I have no idea how good they are, but I think I'm gonna buy it from there.

Now I just have to decide if I want white or black...

http://www.offerany.com/p-18340544429-PLUM-96-PBT-POM-Dual-mode-Keyboard-CHERRY-Original.html

well on that website you can get it in military green, sky blue, chocolate, orange, light gray, light green, light yellow, dark khak,i dark gray, deep purple
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Offline Habbe

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 08:50:01 »
Just did a order on this one, this isn't plate-mounted right?
http://www.offerany.com/p-16805943334-PLUM96-wired-Wireless-Dual-mode-Keyboard-Hat.html

Offline xsmooth69x

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:17:32 »
http://www.offerany.com/p-16805943334-PLUM96-wired-Wireless-Dual-mode-Keyboard-Hat.html

as long as Morphling is no where on the box or description u should be fine. and look at the pics if they have internal shots
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:26:42 »

Pictures in your link depict a PCB-mounted keyboard.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Habbe

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:30:11 »

Pictures in your link depict a PCB-mounted keyboard.

Ahh ok great! Can't wait to try it out =)

Offline Marmalade Hand

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:46:04 »
Any of you guys buy one? I'm curious on their naming scheme. It says black tea shaft/axis and I have no idea what that means. Also is there a way to choose what switch, or do you just write what switch you want in the comments?

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:12:47 »
Well, the axis or shaft is the switch type, and they appear to also vary by case color (white or black). If I recall the machine translation schema correctly-- and I'm just going off the top of my head here, so don't hold me to this-- "green axis" = MX Blue (not green), "white axis" = MX Clear (not white), "tea axis" = MX Brown, and "black axis" = MX Black. So "black tea shaft" would most likely be a black keyboard with MX Brown switches.

Mind you, I could be entirely wrong about this, but it seems to be the most reasonable interpretation, at any rate.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:14:31 by FoxWolf1 »
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Marmalade Hand

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:37:38 »
A combination of google and your above post helped me find the answer. Thanks!

Offline Habbe

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 08:24:44 »
My keyboard came today, super happy about it =) Now I just have to get used to that the enter key is not as big as it was on my nordic keyboard, it's gonna be hard :S

Offline Habbe

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 08:26:11 »
Hey guys, sorry for bumping old thread but i just had to ask.

It was my understanding that the morphling version was the plate mounted keyboard and the rest of the plum96 was just PCB.

Can anyone make a call from this imgur (sorry for the terrible quality) if mine is a PCB or plate mounted keyboard?

http://i.imgur.com/MJ8TCfj.jpg

Thanks in advance // Habbe.

Offline cyberwave

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 10:02:12 »

It was my understanding that the morphling version was the plate mounted keyboard and the rest of the plum96 was just PCB.

Can anyone make a call from this imgur (sorry for the terrible quality) if mine is a PCB or plate mounted keyboard?

yours is pcb mounted

Offline Habbe

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 10:04:43 »

yours is pcb mounted

Thanks alot mate =) made my day xD

How do you see btw?

Offline cyberwave

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 10:14:00 »

yours is pcb mounted

How do you see btw?

that red part in the picture is the PCB itself(can be seen that there are traces on it)

normally for plate-mount, you cant see the PCB at all since the plate covers it completely.
e.g

« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2013, 10:15:37 by cyberwave »

Offline Habbe

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 10:36:19 »

yours is pcb mounted

How do you see btw?

that red part in the picture is the PCB itself(can be seen that there are traces on it)

normally for plate-mount, you cant see the PCB at all since the plate covers it completely.
e.g
Show Image

Show Image

Ohh ok, thanks alot mate!