Author Topic: Halverson's Poker Lego Case!  (Read 20511 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Halverson's Poker Lego Case!
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:28:00 »
So, I'm thinking I may have to kick it up a notch and try to design one for my phantom. Whenever I get it and build it that is! But would be quite the feat I think. Not a tray, but a case that accommodates the plate and sandwiches it in place.

Lego plates are 3.2mm tall, how thick are the phantom plates? Aren't they 1.5mm thick?
If the phantom plate is to thin you could attach weather striping ro something to the outer edge of the phantom plate to make sure that it does not bounce within the extra 1.7mm of extra space.

No idea actually. Once I have the parts, I'll do some measurements and just wing it. Just like how I did the poker one :) Worst comes to worst, it'll require a bit of sugru or something.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:29:16 »
It actually looks really cool in person. my pictures suck.  :-[

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 17:31:22 »
It actually looks really cool in person. my pictures suck.  :-[

Naw they're nice :) It's just impossible to capture how awesome it is to have a Lego case. If you love Lego, no reason not to experiment with making a case :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 19:15:49 »
Only just now seeing this case.  I will be playing around with the LDD file and I'll likely make my own of these in the next few weeks.

Thanks for posting this, Halverson!  And thanks to those who made the LDD file.  :)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 19:20:36 »
Only just now seeing this case.  I will be playing around with the LDD file and I'll likely make my own of these in the next few weeks.

Thanks for posting this, Halverson!  And thanks to those who made the LDD file.  :)

Phil Sebben, "Ha Ha!" :D

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:39:34 »
Hey everyone! So it was awhile ago I posted a picture of a poker in a Lego case. Well, more of a tray, like a normal poker case. So here is the thread finally, to explain some details about it, and hopefully answer any questions!

Awesome idea! I did some messing around in LEGO Digital Designer and somewhat recreated your case in a 2-tone grey theme. I was able to do this because of your excellent instructions. Some of the positions of the supports were hard to tell in your photos, but those are easy to adjust.

Show Image

I was aiming for a shorter assemble time so I used larger pieces rather than lots and lots of 1x4 pieces. I don't know if any of the piece sizes and colors I chose are rare/expensive, so that may be an issue. :)

Here's the bottom:

Show Image

If anyone wants to play around with it, here's a link to the file: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1588537/fydo-PokerCase-v1.lxf

Bonus points if you can make decent looking access to the dipswitches! :D

Using my Lego collection and your resources, I was able to make one! I don't really have anything to put in the case yet but it was fun to make.

Also Halverson, I love your original design!
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline y0fate

• The Holy CBass.
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:40:47 »
That's awesome! I would bee too afraid of scratching/chipping the PCB on the legos  :))
"No"- Greed

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:44:26 »
That's awesome! I would bee too afraid of scratching/chipping the PCB on the legos  :))

I have a tool chest foam liner that I plan on putting on the bottom of the case to prevent that. Well that's when I get a poker or GH60. Thanks for the kind words :)
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:53:45 »

Is this a legitimate concern?  Could the rounded edges of the tops of the legos harms the PCB?  I can't imagine it would, but I'm curious what sparked the concern here.  Not intending to be confrontational.  :)

Phil Sebben, "Ha Ha!" :D

Ha ha!  Cookies on dowels.

Offline y0fate

• The Holy CBass.
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:49:07 »

Is this a legitimate concern?  Could the rounded edges of the tops of the legos harms the PCB?  I can't imagine it would, but I'm curious what sparked the concern here.  Not intending to be confrontational.  :)

It's not an actual concern of mine, but if I were to make a case like this my clumsiness would most likely get the best of me. :P
"No"- Greed

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 11:23:41 »
i dont understand.  how will you guys be securing the PCBs to the case if there are no screw holes?  am i missing something here.  i didnt read this thread as much as i should have before posting this question so.... yea. tricheboars is being tricheboars again.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 00:13:18 »
you know those pcb standoffs for pc motherboards? I am looking around of some of those that would fit the poker case screws and would be the correct height.
I am not really looking very much mind you. but that was my idea.

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 14:31:07 »
Sorry to resurrect this super old thread. Since it appears that Dropbox has dropped support for their public folders feature, my previous links are broken!

If anyone is looking for the LEGO file I shared in this thread, here it is: http://fydo.net/misc/PokerCase-v3.lxf

EDIT: I updated the links in my previous post as well
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 June 2018, 14:35:21 by fydo »
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)