Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3548412 times)

Offline Dark_wizzie

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #12100 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 06:26:25 »
New question, this one a little more time sensitive:
Anybody know of a PBT keycap that allows for backlighting to shine through with the led BELOWWWWW the switch?
The Vortex PBT+Pom keycaps do not work at all with my YOTH which has the led below the switch. I'm sitting here paying for a Kmac, trying to get a Gon PCB change to get leds on all keys, and now I realize the led orientation is below the switch and there's no getting around that.

Second question is related:
I've never used a non-backlit keycap on a keyboard with backlighting, ever. How visible is the lettering when gaming at night with my monitor on but the lights off?

Anybody know somewhere where I can try out a Topre keyboard? My location is San Jose, CA. LA is too far, I can buy the keyboard with the gas money. SF is possible but it's really reaching. Anybody know of a local Frys that has one out to try maybe?  :(

My US geography is a bit vague.  Are you anywhere near EK?

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/support.php?lang=en#10
Unfortunately that location is practically LA, maybe a bit farther. I've contacted a random guy selling a Novatouch, asking him if I can type on it for a little bit to try it.

Beep Boop

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12101 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 07:56:13 »
1) Anybody know of a PBT keycap that allows for backlighting to shine through with the led BELOWWWWW the switch?
More
The Vortex PBT+Pom keycaps do not work at all with my YOTH which has the led below the switch. I'm sitting here paying for a Kmac, trying to get a Gon PCB change to get leds on all keys, and now I realize the led orientation is below the switch and there's no getting around that.

2) I've never used a non-backlit keycap on a keyboard with backlighting, ever. How visible is the lettering when gaming at night with my monitor on but the lights off?

3) Anybody know somewhere where I can try out a Topre keyboard?

More
My location is San Jose, CA. LA is too far, I can buy the keyboard with the gas money. SF is possible but it's really reaching. Anybody know of a local Frys that has one out to try maybe?  :(

Unfortunately that location is practically LA, maybe a bit farther. I've contacted a random guy selling a Novatouch, asking him if I can type on it for a little bit to try it.

1) Other than those Vortex caps, there's no PBT caps which are backlit compatible.
2) Should be fine but honestly, I've been touch typing for years so I'm not the best person to ask. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't want to learn how to touch type?
3) I'm running a Novatouch tour but you need 100 posts in order to join.

Is there currently any place to purchase PCB mounted cherry stabilizers besides GON and winkeyless?

Not that I know of other than imsto's. Not sure if they're original Cherry or not.

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #12102 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:15:39 »
Second question is related:
I've never used a non-backlit keycap on a keyboard with backlighting, ever. How visible is the lettering when gaming at night with my monitor on but the lights off?

I think the CPT answered your other questions well, but to answer this one: as someone who needs to see the keys for reassurance (I can almost touch type but my fingers lack confidence), this depends heavily on the font and contrast of the keycaps. Filco ninja keycaps, SUPER hard to see at night on a non-backlit keyboard. OG Cherry white on black doubleshots, not a problem seeing in the world. I'm currently using IMSTO's blue/red hangul set and I have 0 issues seeing the random system keys I need for gaming (I have trouble locating like "L" with my left hand when I'm playing an MMO for example without being able to see the keyboard). 

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:17:17 by greath »

Offline Dark_wizzie

« Reply #12103 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 22:19:51 »
1) Anybody know of a PBT keycap that allows for backlighting to shine through with the led BELOWWWWW the switch?
More

2) I've never used a non-backlit keycap on a keyboard with backlighting, ever. How visible is the lettering when gaming at night with my monitor on but the lights off?

3) Anybody know somewhere where I can try out a Topre keyboard?

More
My location is San Jose, CA. LA is too far, I can buy the keyboard with the gas money. SF is possible but it's really reaching. Anybody know of a local Frys that has one out to try maybe?  :(

I just like seeing letters when I look down on my keyboard, lol. Well, I like to see letters lit up. But if I don't fix the keycap vs led below the switch problem, that's not going to happen either way.
Somebody suggested I get clear tops and bright leds to see if it can shine through the keycaps despite leds being below the switch.

1) Other than those Vortex caps, there's no PBT caps which are backlit compatible.
2) Should be fine but honestly, I've been touch typing for years so I'm not the best person to ask. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't want to learn how to touch type?
3) I'm running a Novatouch tour but you need 100 posts in order to join.

Is there currently any place to purchase PCB mounted cherry stabilizers besides GON and winkeyless?

Not that I know of other than imsto's. Not sure if they're original Cherry or not.
Beep Boop

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #12104 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 22:37:50 »
I have a really petty question.
Should I set up my plate for stepped offset caps lock or centered caps lock?
Don't want that wide modular cutout or mod the stem for my backlit key either lol

Do you want a stepped or centered caps lock? Go from there.
Thanks.
After some thinking, maybe I will just make it centered and try to mod the stepped cap.
If I ruin it, or it doesn't light up at all, it wont be too big a deal since I have a normal centered cap.
Really just wanted it for looks and have it further out of the way since i don't use it much lol.
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline r0mIe_Ng

• Go hard or go home!!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12106 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 15:46:35 »
Hi guys,

I want to ask how good is this soldering kit for a one off assembling project?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soldering-Iron-Tool-Kit-Set-Stand-Sponge-Desolder-Pump-Solder-Wire-Magnifier-GC-/331446143457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d2bbac9e1

Um...Looks pretty shoddy to be honest. Never seen that before. But it's probably no worse than what they sell at MicroCenter.

Offline r0mIe_Ng

• Go hard or go home!!!
« Reply #12107 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 16:14:52 »
Hi guys,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soldering-Iron-Tool-Kit-Set-Stand-Sponge-Desolder-Pump-Solder-Wire-Magnifier-GC-/331446143457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d2bbac9e1

Um...Looks pretty shoddy to be honest. Never seen that before. But it's probably no worse than what they sell at MicroCenter.

Do you know any decent soldering kit that I can purchase within EU region?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12108 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 17:03:40 »
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I don't know anything about soldering kits in the EU. I suggest posting in the living soldering thread and asking.

Offline r0mIe_Ng

• Go hard or go home!!!
« Reply #12109 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 18:15:43 »
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I don't know anything about soldering kits in the EU. I suggest posting in the living soldering thread and asking.

Aright i see. Thanks again for your help. Gladly appreciated!

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #12110 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 09:00:11 »
I'm looking for a 60% pcb that has the mini usb port coming out from the side rather than the top. I use a 60% over my laptop and the cable on top gets in the way.

Are there any 60% PCBs with this feature or would I have to rewire my current one myself?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12111 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 09:47:40 »
I'm looking for a 60% pcb that has the mini usb port coming out from the side rather than the top. I use a 60% over my laptop and the cable on top gets in the way.

Are there any 60% PCBs with this feature or would I have to rewire my current one myself?
Ducky mini and ducky mini year of the horse.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #12112 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 12:12:44 »

There are 90º mini usb adapters available that can be found on EBay for cheap. Then you can use any 60% with a front connector on your laptop. 

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #12113 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 12:15:38 »
Simple question: what is the difference between this extremely expensive Krytox grease and cheap grease for bike mechanics etc.?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12114 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 12:21:49 »
Simple question: what is the difference between this extremely expensive Krytox grease and cheap grease for bike mechanics etc.?

It supposedly won't break down and won't migrate like other lubricants. If you search for some of mkawa's posts, he goes into a ton of detail on Krytox. It's become a standard and I picked it up for pretty cheap personally so I've been using it. But I've also got some Teflon dry film lube that I'm going to be testing soon.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12115 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 13:02:26 »
It supposedly won't break down and won't migrate like other lubricants. If you search for some of mkawa's posts, he goes into a ton of detail on Krytox. It's become a standard and I picked it up for pretty cheap personally so I've been using it. But I've also got some Teflon dry film lube that I'm going to be testing soon.

Hi Captain! I think I get it. However, please start testing cheaper alternatives, since I have a dull feeling in my guts to buy 5ml for 20$ or something. It is the feeling to get "click-clacked" ;-)
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 April 2015, 13:04:06 by Eszett »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12116 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 13:05:05 »
Hi Captain! I think I get it. However, please start testing cheaper alternatives, since I have a dull feeling in my guts to buy 5ml for 20$ or something. It is the feeling to get "click-clacked" ;-)

I mean just because I use and prefer something doesn't mean you need to use that. I'd be interested in seeing your thoughts on different lubricants as well.

Offline Eszett

« Reply #12117 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 13:31:40 »
Captain! I will do that as soon as I can spare a worthless keyboard to act as dummy for a treatment with bike-grease. For now I have to rely on the experience of other people, since my keyboard is a "cuddled pet" so to say ...
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 April 2015, 13:33:53 by Eszett »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12118 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 18:29:23 »
In a 60% keyboard, for example with a gon pcb,  what difference does the plate make?

No plate:
More silent
More damping

With plate:
More strength when removing the key caps
Better esthetics

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12119 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 21:00:51 »
In a 60% keyboard, for example with a gon pcb,  what difference does the plate make?

No plate:
More silent
More damping

With plate:
Better esthetics
Depending on the board design, such as a GON, you might need the plate as it's part of the case. If it's like a Pure or Poker X, you won't need one. I prefer a plate. Feels more solid and stable. And the bottom outs feel a bit more solid. Plateless makes the switches feel softer. A plate is definitely not an aesthetic thing. It serves a very noticeable function.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12120 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 22:30:32 »
what is the difference between this extremely expensive Krytox grease and cheap grease for bike mechanics etc.?

Lubing stabilizer wires calls for a thick grease that does not affect plastic over time and does not migrate.

I have a 5cc syringe that I got from elite keyboards that has lasted for literally dozens of keyboards.

Lubing the internal parts of switches is very much precision work and requires a light lubricant that is extremely kind to plastics.

Lubricating bicycle parts means heavy-duty metal-on-metal contact and you will want it to migrate, but also to stick on, even through rainstorms.

Very different materials, applications, requirements, and environments.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 08:06:53 by fohat.digs »
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12121 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 02:08:01 »
So I got this today and it looks like some variant of DIN AT connector, but the pins are more widely spaced. Does anyone know anything about these, and do you know if there are any adapters around to make it compatible with more common interfaces?
More
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12122 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 05:53:58 »
Thanks, this would be my first build. I was going to purchase a gon pcb with a pexon case. The iso plate with cutouts seems impossible to find. I found one that required pcb mounted stabs. That seems non sense.

No plate:
More silent
More damping

With plate:
Better esthetics
Depending on the board design, such as a GON, you might need the plate as it's part of the case. If it's like a Pure or Poker X, you won't need one. I prefer a plate. Feels more solid and stable. And the bottom outs feel a bit more solid. Plateless makes the switches feel softer. A plate is definitely not an aesthetic thing. It serves a very noticeable function.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12123 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 08:14:53 »
So I got this today and it looks like some variant of DIN AT connector, but the pins are more widely spaced. Does anyone know anything about these, and do you know if there are any adapters around to make it compatible with more common interfaces?
More
Show Image

Ugh I know I've seen threads on that connector but I can't find them at the moment. A Soarer's would work though.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12124 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 08:16:48 »
it looks like some variant of DIN AT connector, but the pins are more widely spaced.

Early 122-key Model M terminals used the "240 degree DIN plug" (sometimes called the 270 degree) as opposed to the "180 degree" standard DIN connector.

What seems strange about yours is that the arc of the pins and the index bump would cause it to be plugged in at an angle, which might be very awkward. IBM made straight (1st generation with metal screw rim) and 90 degree (2nd generation, all plastic) versions.

The pins look a little different but it may be an optical illusion or my bad eyesight.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.

Offline Dark_wizzie

« Reply #12125 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 08:41:02 »
Question:
The plug on the Kmac 2. It's a mini-usb connection, right?
Beep Boop

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12126 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 08:41:56 »
Question:
The plug on the Kmac 2. It's a mini-usb connection, right?

Yes. Very few keyboards use the micro USB connections. Most are using the mini.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12127 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 08:55:07 »
it looks like some variant of DIN AT connector, but the pins are more widely spaced.

Early 122-key Model M terminals used the "240 degree DIN plug" (sometimes called the 270 degree) as opposed to the "180 degree" standard DIN connector.

What seems strange about yours is that the arc of the pins and the index bump would cause it to be plugged in at an angle, which might be very awkward. IBM made straight (1st generation with metal screw rim) and 90 degree (2nd generation, all plastic) versions.

The pins look a little different but it may be an optical illusion or my bad eyesight.

So I've looked on ebay for a bit and I can see that people have the connectors for sale. The only premade cable available is the Soarer's Converter from Orihalcon. Apart from those, would my only option be buying a connector, some cable and a PS/2 connector and making my own adapter? How do I know the pinouts?

Thanks.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12128 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 09:03:18 »

So I've looked on ebay for a bit and I can see that people have the connectors for sale. The only premade cable available is the Soarer's Converter from Orihalcon. Apart from those, would my only option be buying a connector, some cable and a PS/2 connector and making my own adapter? How do I know the pinouts?

Thanks.

Soarer's converter isn't just made by Orihalcon. You can make your own if you check out the link I posted before. A Soarer converter is really just a Teensy based Converter that Soarer came up with. Orihalcon sells some and there maybe others. There may be an adapter you can buy that converts your connector to PS/2 then you can daisy chain a PS/2 to USB converter after that. The OP of Soarer's thread has some pinouts. I'm not sure how else you can find them out. But it looks like your pins are just rotated and you can use some of the pin outs. Otherwise, you can try searching for your keyboard online and see if anyone has pinouts. Alternatively, you can PM Haata or Dorkvader and see if they can help.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12129 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 09:12:24 »
After several iterations, I settled on this as my endgame converter box.

If you are going to stay in the game, this will make life a lot easier. Spend the $30-40 and the hour or 2 and make a really nice box in an aluminum (aka aluminium) case.

One day I am going to open this up and connect that 5th wire to the Teensy in hopes of getting something that will work with a Leading Edge 2014.

PS - shameless plug - for GHers in the US, there is this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70203.msg1688887#msg1688887
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 09:16:56 by fohat.digs »
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12130 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 09:52:02 »

Thanks.

Soarer's converter isn't just made by Orihalcon. You can make your own if you check out the link I posted before. A Soarer converter is really just a Teensy based Converter that Soarer came up with. Orihalcon sells some and there maybe others. There may be an adapter you can buy that converts your connector to PS/2 then you can daisy chain a PS/2 to USB converter after that. The OP of Soarer's thread has some pinouts. I'm not sure how else you can find them out. But it looks like your pins are just rotated and you can use some of the pin outs. Otherwise, you can try searching for your keyboard online and see if anyone has pinouts. Alternatively, you can PM Haata or Dorkvader and see if they can help.

Yeah, I know that. I was just referring to the premade ones Orihalcon SCs as the only "adapters" (I know it's more than just a simple adapter) available, it seems.

I would like to find a simple adapter that does what you said. I'll keep looking for a bit but I might need to make my own in the end.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12131 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 09:57:03 »
More

Thanks.

Yeah, I know that. I was just referring to the premade ones Orihalcon SCs as the only "adapters" (I know it's more than just a simple adapter) available, it seems.

I would like to find a simple adapter that does what you said. I'll keep looking for a bit but I might need to make my own in the end.

FWIW, I've got a Din 5 to PS/2 converter on my Siig Minitouch. I got it at Microcenter but you can get them online as well. In order to get it to type, I need to use two converters: Din 5 to PS/2 then PS/2 to USB. This is because for some reason, plugging it right into the PS/2 port won't work. At the very least, you could get one of these Din 5 to PS/2 adapters for cheap and test it. Then you can decide if you need to make a Soarer's or not.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12132 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 09:57:50 »
Does a 65% ISO compatible pcb exist?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12133 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 09:58:13 »

I've never seen that exact layout.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #12134 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:02:12 »
FWIW, I've got a Din 5 to PS/2 converter on my Siig Minitouch. I got it at Microcenter but you can get them online as well. In order to get it to type, I need to use two converters: Din 5 to PS/2 then PS/2 to USB. This is because for some reason, plugging it right into the PS/2 port won't work. At the very least, you could get one of these Din 5 to PS/2 adapters for cheap and test it. Then you can decide if you need to make a Soarer's or not.

Right. I have several standard DIN 5 to ps/2 adapters already, that part isn't a problem. This keyboard has the 270 degree pins though. I found someone online saying that Amstrad used a proprietary standard for their keyboard connectors, so it looks like it'll be a DIY job if I want to get this working.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12135 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:05:33 »

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/54c20e2fde4694ffdd014374a62694ca
something like that, Bottom row to be adjusted probably with 2x1.5u mods to fill the gap.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12136 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:25:50 »

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/54c20e2fde4694ffdd014374a62694ca
something like that, Bottom row to be adjusted probably with 2x1.5u mods to fill the gap.

The link doesn't work on my computer at work but I think I know what you're asking for. What I meant is that I've never seen that layout available on any PCB.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12137 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:42:23 »
Thanks, this would be my first build. I was going to purchase a gon pcb with a pexon case. The iso plate with cutouts seems impossible to find. I found one that required pcb mounted stabs. That seems non sense.

It's not nonsense that a plate would require the use of PCB mount stabilizers. In fact, most of the plates I now design have the same requirement. By eliminating the requirement on the plate to have cutouts specific to a stabilizer hole, you can use a simpler hole design that is basically just an opening to allow the PCB mounted stabilizer to pass through the plate. This is done in so-called "universal" plates, so that overlapping holes can be used, which support varied layout options. Otherwise, to design a plate that allows for plate mounted stabilizers, you lose the layout options, and are limited to a specific layout, such as ISO versus ANSI, in the plate design. It's much more economical to design one plate which will work with many layouts, than to require a distributor to make a minimum purchase of several different plates which may or may not sell. Many people prefer PCB mount stabilizers, anyway, so requiring their use doesn't seem a hurdle to sales.

That said, you can always design your own plate and have a one-off made, albeit at a higher cost to yourself.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:43:58 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12138 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 14:52:08 »
I thought that it was nonsense because the captain said that plate mounted switches are better and more solid, so it seemed that to mount the stab on the pcb could add flex and some rattle. Surely it adds flexibility, wasn't sure about the final performance...

It's not nonsense that a plate would require the use of PCB mount stabilizers. In fact, most of the plates I now design have the same requirement. By eliminating the requirement on the plate to have cutouts specific to a stabilizer hole, you can use a simpler hole design that is basically just an opening to allow the PCB mounted stabilizer to pass through the plate. This is done in so-called "universal" plates, so that overlapping holes can be used, which support varied layout options. Otherwise, to design a plate that allows for plate mounted stabilizers, you lose the layout options, and are limited to a specific layout, such as ISO versus ANSI, in the plate design. It's much more economical to design one plate which will work with many layouts, than to require a distributor to make a minimum purchase of several different plates which may or may not sell. Many people prefer PCB mount stabilizers, anyway, so requiring their use doesn't seem a hurdle to sales.

That said, you can always design your own plate and have a one-off made, albeit at a higher cost to yourself.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 April 2015, 08:35:59 by gianni »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12139 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 18:20:59 »
Does anyone know the default combination to toggle on/off all the LEDs on a KMAC Happy keyboard?
Looking at the KMAC Happy programming tool, the default is the left-most top row key (Esc / ~) in the Function layer, but I guess the KMAC Happy in front of me had been reprogrammed, since I can't get any combination I've tried so far to turn off the LEDs.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 April 2015, 18:33:36 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #12140 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 23:59:13 »
Are there MX Clears in stock anywhere at this point? If not, how consistent are the White switches available from mechanicalkeyboards.com? Need switches for my incoming Red Scarf but don't want Linear, and Green is too loud ~_~

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12141 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 00:03:08 »
Are there MX Clears in stock anywhere at this point? If not, how consistent are the White switches available from mechanicalkeyboards.com? Need switches for my incoming Red Scarf but don't want Linear, and Green is too loud ~_~

I think zeal (zealpc.net) still has some, but you'll be paying a fair bit for shipping and it might not be worth it for you unless you buy a bit more than just switches.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12142 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 00:22:01 »

I think zeal (zealpc.net) still has some, but you'll be paying a fair bit for shipping and it might not be worth it for you unless you buy a bit more than just switches.
There is a code that is listed that is for free shipping on switches

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #12143 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 00:33:51 »
Where can I get a plate or drawing for a plate for this PCB?
A87
http://i.imgur.com/S7XYiTb.jpg?1

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12144 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 00:50:55 »
A87

http://builder.swillkb.com/

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65189.0

Use keyboard layout editor to get the layout for the plate builder, then Big Blue Saw can cut it for you.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12145 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 09:29:15 »

A87

Use keyboard layout editor to get the layout for the plate builder, then Big Blue Saw can cut it for you.
If you are using the layout editor, make sure it actually matches up with the PCB, as I made one for the B87 layout, and when matching up with the one Monstermask made, it didn't line up, so I had to use autocad to line up the plate

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12146 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 09:31:46 »

A87

If you are using the layout editor, make sure it actually matches up with the PCB, as I made one for the B87 layout, and when matching up with the one Monstermask made, it didn't line up, so I had to use autocad to line up the plate
What do you mean by line up? Are you talking about the top row gap/ spacing?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12147 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 09:33:11 »

A87

Yeah, but the spacing issues were only with the function keys in relation to the main part, and the TKL to the main part

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12148 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 09:35:53 »

A87

Yeah, but the spacing issues were only with the function keys in relation to the main part, and the TKL to the main part
Do you still have the measurements you used?

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #12149 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 10:24:01 »

It appears I'm too late. No White or CLear plate mounted switches. GON has some but they're PCB mounted IIRC