Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555483 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #5200 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:42:01 »
I have 2 questions.

First one is how likely is it for my keyboard to die after I open it up, voiding the warranty?

Second is is the non backlit keycool 84's PCB have holes for LEDs, ie does it use the same PCB as the keycool 84 with backlighting?

1) I voided the warranty on my Filco about 6 months ago. Haven't had any issues. Dont think opening a keyboard up and voiding the warranty means its instantly going to fail.

2) Probably the same PCB. Easier/cheaper for the comapny to just use 1 PCB for both models. Poker 2 is like that. There's holes for the LEDs in the PCBs even though there's no backlit version yet.

That's what I thought. Time to buy some LED's!

Also if I just solder in LED's, I don't need to do anything else and they will work, right?

EDIT: Opened up keycool 84, no holes in PCB for LEDs
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 17:28:44 by Pacifist »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5201 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 19:09:27 »
I have 2 questions.

First one is how likely is it for my keyboard to die after I open it up, voiding the warranty?

Second is is the non backlit keycool 84's PCB have holes for LEDs, ie does it use the same PCB as the keycool 84 with backlighting?

1) I voided the warranty on my Filco about 6 months ago. Haven't had any issues. Dont think opening a keyboard up and voiding the warranty means its instantly going to fail.

2) Probably the same PCB. Easier/cheaper for the comapny to just use 1 PCB for both models. Poker 2 is like that. There's holes for the LEDs in the PCBs even though there's no backlit version yet.

That's what I thought. Time to buy some LED's!

Also if I just solder in LED's, I don't need to do anything else and they will work, right?

EDIT: Opened up keycool 84, no holes in PCB for LEDs

I believe the only other thing you will have to install is the resistor/s but I have no idea what size.

Edit:  Question of my own.  Is the 5 volt power from USB enough to power full sized keyboard back lighting?  Not looking for any funky lighting modes like in some of the Duckys but just want on / off for the whole keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 November 2013, 07:23:23 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5202 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 10:53:29 »
I'm looking for an answer to a theoretical situation regarding diodes on a PCB.  If one or two are installed incorrectly (reversed orientation), will those switches not work at all, or will there be issues with incorrect keystroke registration instead?  Or any other symptoms?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5203 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 11:09:12 »
I'm looking for an answer to a theoretical situation regarding diodes on a PCB.  If one or two are installed incorrectly (reversed orientation), will those switches not work at all, or will there be issues with incorrect keystroke registration instead?  Or any other symptoms?

At minimum those keys will just not register.  I am not sure how it would affect the rest of the switches in that row/column.  I suppose that might depend on how the matrix is setup.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5204 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 11:10:06 »

At minimum those keys will just not register.  I am not sure how it would affect the rest of the switches in that row/column.  I suppose that might depend on how the matrix is setup.

Okay, so it wouldn't be a subtle effect, akin to debounce errors?  Just trying to rule that out as an explanation to key registration errors that look like they come from poor debounce handling.  It's most likely the latter, but I'm making sure...
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 November 2013, 11:23:38 by Photoelectric »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5205 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 11:30:45 »

Okay, so it wouldn't be a subtle effect, akin to debounce errors?  Just trying to rule that out as an explanation to key registration errors that look like they come from poor debounce handling.  It's most likely the latter, but I'm making sure...

It would def not be anything subtle due to the function of the diode.  Essentially they are a one way check valve for electricity.  Blocking it from traveling in the wrong direction.  So if it is installed backwards you would have 2 diodes in the same trace path blocking each other. 

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5206 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 11:32:04 »
Thanks very much!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5207 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 11:36:35 »
Not a problem.  Now to figure out if USB power will have enough horsepower to run a full sized keyboard worth of LED's.  If it helps they are blue rated for 3.4 volts.

Debating on adding full backlighting to my Das and supplying power from the internal USB hub and using a modded small USB thumb drive for the switch.  Possibly attempting to figure out if I can get them all to either be on steady or the pulse/breathing effect by swapping different modded usb thumb drives.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5208 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 12:07:24 »
Full-sized Ducky keyboards have no issues with full backlight and white LEDs (also 3V+).  Didn't have any problems with my CM Storm Trigger, which had additional macro keys that were also backlit.  You're probably fine with that.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5209 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 12:10:09 »
Full-sized Ducky keyboards have no issues with full backlight and white LEDs (also 3V+).  Didn't have any problems with my CM Storm Trigger, which had additional macro keys that were also backlit.  You're probably fine with that.

Cool thanks photo.  I would assume wired in parallel then?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5210 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 12:17:42 »

Not sure, seems like they are going in series top-down, based on these photos of a Ducky Shine PCB (side-to-side would be in parallel)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50784.msg1112489#msg1112489
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48250.msg1074653#msg1074653

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5211 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 12:46:29 »

Not sure, seems like they are going in series top-down, based on these photos of a Ducky Shine PCB (side-to-side would be in parallel)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50784.msg1112489#msg1112489
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48250.msg1074653#msg1074653

It appears to me that they are parallel.  Correct me if I am wrong but series would be connecting + on one LED to - on the next and from that + to the next -.  And parallel would be - to - to - and + to + to +.  In pic 5 on the first link it looks like the traces are - to - to -.  Can't really see the + trace due to probable different layer in the PCB.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #5212 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 13:03:39 »
Are you sure they arent matrixed or charlieplexed? I dont think driving all the LEDs at once is a good idea.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5213 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 13:06:33 »
Are you sure they arent matrixed or charlieplexed? I dont think driving all the LEDs at once is a good idea.

I have no idea.  All I really know is standard USB 2.0 is 5 volt at 500mA or 1000mA depending on the board.  Also I have no idea what charlieplexed is and not sure what difference being matrixed would do differently unless that is just a single word term for wiring them in a combination of series and parallel.  I am not an electronics guy by nature. 

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5214 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 17:56:47 »
Is there a way to get the stabilizer pieces (costar) to stay in the keys better? Mine keep falling out on one of my keys.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5215 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 18:00:04 »
Is there a way to get the stabilizer pieces (costar) to stay in the keys better? Mine keep falling out on one of my keys.

put a piece of tape over it

Offline Kayliss

« Reply #5216 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 18:51:00 »
Can anyone tell me where these come from originally?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5217 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 19:40:30 »
Can anyone tell me where these come from originally?

Show Image

i3oilermaker had them made. Weezer caps. :)

The first batch turned out too thin, so he had them fixed.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Kayliss

« Reply #5218 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 19:41:52 »

i3oilermaker had them made. Weezer caps. :)

The first batch turned out too thin, so he had them fixed.

Great thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5219 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 20:02:14 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_YY

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5220 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 22:24:45 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_YY

I'll try using a little piece of plastic bag. Thank you so much!

Also - I love my filco! I didn't realize how amazing this thing would be. I'm not sure why people buy alumium cases for these things - they're already so damn sturdy! When I had my black widow I just assumed that all plastic keyboards were flimsy and crappy but this is on a whole different level! Does anyone know if the filco is made from ABS or PBT plastic? Thanks!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5221 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:31:31 »
Why is there never Topre or Alps GBs? Is the Topre design proprietary therefor places like SP or GMK aren't allowed to produce them/there's some exorbitant fee? Or is it a matter of cap makers not having Topre or Alps molds? I'm pretty sure SP has Alps molds, is it because the GB demand would be to low to garner interest to make it worth producing?

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #5222 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:40:24 »
Why is there never Topre or Alps GBs? Is the Topre design proprietary therefor places like SP or GMK aren't allowed to produce them/there's some exorbitant fee? Or is it a matter of cap makers not having Topre or Alps molds? I'm pretty sure SP has Alps molds, is it because the GB demand would be to low to garner interest to make it worth producing?

Topre - Not a lot of companies have the molds for Topre keycaps and I'm sure the only company that would do it isn't interested. Hard to say though because I've never tried.

ALPS - You are correct about this one. On top of lack of interest there are so many different configurations for ALPS keyboards that it would make putting the GB together extremely difficult.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5223 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:47:57 »
That's a shame. Even one coordinated Alps GB colab with DT would be epic, if not only to say that it happened.

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5224 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 00:04:36 »
Do the wire stabs come out of the little black plastic pieces on the filco? I can't get them out. For that matter, do the black plastic pieces that hold the wire come out? I can't get them out either.'

EDIT: I'm curious: are keyboard switches supposed to be a little "stiffer" when you first get the keyboard? I feel like my keys are a little "stiff". Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2013, 00:12:24 by Keytrun »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5225 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 00:18:15 »
That's a shame. Even one coordinated Alps GB colab with DT would be epic, if not only to say that it happened.

There's been an ALPS buy that has been in the interest check stage for a while now.

Offline Ch0nG

« Reply #5226 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 01:37:48 »
How do you reprogram an already setup Ergodox?

I have the keyboard plugged in, I ran the Teensy loader and selected the Hex file I got from Massdrop's configurator. I click "Auto" and then nothing happens. The Verbose output on Teensy loader says (I renamed the hex file):
00:27:19: Teensy Loader 1.15, begin program
00:27:19: File "colemak.hex". 9012 bytes, 28% used
00:27:19: Listening for remote control on port 3149
00:27:19: initialized, showing main window
00:27:31: Verbose Info event
00:27:41: Auto Button event
00:27:41: Auto mode: enabled

Nothing else appeared to happen after that, I even had it sit for 10 minutes. Does it normally take long to reprogram it? Or am I just doing something wrong?
Das Ultimate - Blues - Converted to removable USB (Mimic-Cables) - 40 A-L WASD ORings
ErgoDox - ErgoClears ErgoDox - 65g Blues

Offline Larken

« Reply #5227 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 01:57:23 »
How do you reprogram an already setup Ergodox?

I have the keyboard plugged in, I ran the Teensy loader and selected the Hex file I got from Massdrop's configurator. I click "Auto" and then nothing happens. The Verbose output on Teensy loader says (I renamed the hex file):
00:27:19: Teensy Loader 1.15, begin program
00:27:19: File "colemak.hex". 9012 bytes, 28% used
00:27:19: Listening for remote control on port 3149
00:27:19: initialized, showing main window
00:27:31: Verbose Info event
00:27:41: Auto Button event
00:27:41: Auto mode: enabled

Nothing else appeared to happen after that, I even had it sit for 10 minutes. Does it normally take long to reprogram it? Or am I just doing something wrong?

I normally hit the teensy button (there should be one programmed in if the previous owner didn't change the layout too much, if not, press the physical button on the teensy) before I go into automode. Programming it should take less than 2 seconds.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5228 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 01:58:15 »
Is there a way to set up media keys on a Filco? Is there a way to change the windows key into a function key so I can use things like fn+f11 / f12 for volume down / up?

Edit: I found Autohotkey and this seems to work fine. Anyone know if it takes a lot of resources / creates any issues? I've got ctl + arrow keys set up for my media controls.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2013, 02:21:31 by Keytrun »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5229 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 05:10:44 »
Is there a way to set up media keys on a Filco? Is there a way to change the windows key into a function key so I can use things like fn+f11 / f12 for volume down / up?

Edit: I found Autohotkey and this seems to work fine. Anyone know if it takes a lot of resources / creates any issues? I've got ctl + arrow keys set up for my media controls.

As far as I know the only issue with AHK is the lack of Mac compatibility.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5230 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 07:04:48 »
Does anyone know if the filco is made from ABS or PBT plastic? Thanks!

Think the body is ABS. Caps are ABS.

Topre has some kind of contracting or something? There's some form of legality that is blocking Topre GBs, I think. I never quite understood it.

SP has *some* Alps molds but as I understand it, there's been a lot of missing molds. Calavera has an IC open for Alps keycaps and discovered that SP had some molds missing. Also there are so many different Alps setups with all the keyboards. For example, a set that would fit a FK-2001 wouldn't fit a Dell AT101W and those sets wouldn't fit on a Ducky 1087XM. Some company would have to have so many different molds and it seems that that vareity of molds has gone away. That being said, Matias is working on Alps compatible keycaps and has said they're doing a 60% Alps GB. Sprit has suggested he's doing a TKL/75%/60% Alps GB with compatible cases as well. And in general, I think there's low interest in Topre/Alps stuff.

Edit: Apparently Topre has exclusive manufacturing rights or something? Check out this post from EliteKeyboards.

I'm curious: are keyboard switches supposed to be a little "stiffer" when you first get the keyboard? I feel like my keys are a little "stiff". Any ideas?

The switches need to wear in. They'll be a little stiff for now.

I found Autohotkey and this seems to work fine. Anyone know if it takes a lot of resources / creates any issues?

AHK will work fine. Maybe people on the forum use it to remap their keyboards without issue.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2013, 13:00:35 by CPTBadAss »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5231 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 09:34:53 »

As far as I know the only issue with AHK is the lack of Mac compatibility.

On my Mac I use KeyRemap4MacBook and it works pretty well...

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5232 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 11:47:36 »
How much would it cost to ship 3 keycaps to the UK?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5233 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 11:51:37 »
How much would it cost to ship 3 keycaps to the UK?

Last time I sent a small package to the UK, I think it had a handful of caps and o-rings, it cost around $6-8 from the USA. I usually ship from the Post Office itself and not online. USPS should have a calculator as well.

Offline Ch0nG

« Reply #5234 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 12:30:01 »
I normally hit the teensy button (there should be one programmed in if the previous owner didn't change the layout too much, if not, press the physical button on the teensy) before I go into automode. Programming it should take less than 2 seconds.

Thank you for the assistance. The layout had a Teensy button but I don't think I was utilizing it properly. I just pushed physical button on the Teensy after loading the layout then clicked "Auto" and it programmed the board. :thumb:
Das Ultimate - Blues - Converted to removable USB (Mimic-Cables) - 40 A-L WASD ORings
ErgoDox - ErgoClears ErgoDox - 65g Blues

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5235 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 14:50:43 »
Just got my NIB PS2 g80-11900. First time using PS2 on my MSI motherboard, and its not registering. Any help?

I'm getting a belkin PS2 to USB converter later, will that help if its the motherboard's problem?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5236 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 14:53:25 »
Just got my NIB PS2 g80-11900. First time using PS2 on my MSI motherboard, and its not registering. Any help?

I'm getting a belkin PS2 to USB converter later, will that help if its the motherboard's problem?

Did you restart your computer after you plugged in the keyboard?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #5237 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 14:53:26 »

Did you restart the PC after connecting to PS/2?

Edit: One second ninja, CPT? Really?!?!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5238 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 14:54:06 »
I beat JD by 1 second. I am the champion.  :))

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5239 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 14:55:21 »
For more clarification, PS/2 isn't hot-swappable, thus you can't unplug and plug things in on the fly, which is why they said to reboot.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5240 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 14:58:21 »
Ah. Thanks for all the help! I'm going to need to reboot later tonight, the desktop is doing some stuff....

Gotta say, you guys are the best!

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #5241 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 14:58:28 »
For more clarification, PS/2 isn't hot-swappable, thus you can't unplug and plug things in on the fly, which is why they said to reboot.

I thought PS/2 wasn't plug-n-play capable, I have unplugged and plugged in different PS/2 keyboards when I was testing them. However my computer would have to boot with a PS/2 keyboard in the motherboard when the computer turned on in order to "enable" the PS/2 port.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #5242 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 14:58:32 »

in memoriam

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5243 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:00:40 »
Another question. Once I get my PS2 to USB cable, do I need to reboot for the keyboard to work?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5244 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:02:20 »
Another question. Once I get my PS2 to USB cable, do I need to reboot for the keyboard to work?

No, with the PS2-to-USB adapter, you won't have to.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5245 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:02:28 »
It depends on what it is? If it's an active adapter, no. The active adapter will convert the PS/2 signal into a USB HID signal. Thus, it would be like plugging in any other USB keyboard.

A passive one? I'm not entirely certain.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5246 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:04:16 »
Yeah you're right moose, I shouldve stated that. My adapter is an active one from mkawa.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5248 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:07:11 »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5249 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:08:42 »
Its this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Belkin-F5U119E-PS2-to-USB-Adapter-Converter-Keyboard-Mouse-Barcode-Scanner-/270962163563

Pretty sure that's the one that Akimbo sent out with his Model F and it was active.

Thanks for the help! Can't wait to get this baby up and running