Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553920 times)

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #7600 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 07:29:27 »
is the techkeys lube kit the same as the one on originative's site?

http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/krytox-switch-lurbricant

identical description. I wish it wasn't marked up though :/

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7601 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 07:30:18 »

Yes. The lube kits at MechanicalKeyboards.com, TechKeys.us, and Originative are all the same. They're kits made and distributed by mkawa.

Offline Beca

« Reply #7602 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 07:32:34 »

Yes. The lube kits at MechanicalKeyboards.com, TechKeys.us, and Originative are all the same. They're kits made and distributed by mkawa.
I see, thanks. And what lube would you use for vintage blacks? it says thin in the description but in searching through threads, people recommend thick.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7603 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 07:35:37 »
And what lube would you use for vintage blacks?

I mixed my own lube when I went to visit mkawa. My formulation is very similar to the thin formulation of lube. I have lubed vintage black stems with 65g springs on my Epsilon.

Offline Beca

« Reply #7604 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 07:39:24 »
And what lube would you use for vintage blacks?

I mixed my own lube when I went to visit mkawa. My formulation is very similar to the thin formulation of lube. I have lubed vintage black stems with 65g springs on my Epsilon.
awesome, thanks for the help!

Offline Jixr

« Reply #7605 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 13:41:18 »
mx clears = mx tactile grays right?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7606 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 13:41:56 »

Tactile greys are heavier.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7607 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 13:42:02 »

tactile grays are heavier

meh...ninja'd

Offline Jixr

« Reply #7608 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 13:53:36 »
by how much, blacks are about equal to 80g koreans, ( i've never used clears or grays, but am going to for my next build )

but the bump profile is the same correct?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7609 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 13:56:42 »
by how much, blacks are about equal to 80g koreans, ( i've never used clears or grays, but am going to for my next build )

but the bump profile is the same correct?

Bump feels the same to me. MX Tactile Grey, according to the DT wiki, is 80 cN at actuation. Clear is 55 cN.

Offline SL89

« Reply #7610 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:07:42 »
I know keycap profiles have different values.
(Row 1 on an SA is shaped differently from Row 3 on an SA set.)

But are there keyboards that have the switches installed at different angle?
(Row 1 angled 'forward' to 80° , while Row 3 is 'standard' at 90° to the plate / board)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7611 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:09:48 »
(Row 1 angled 'forward' to 80° , while Row 3 is 'standard' at 90° to the plate / board)

I've seen a few keyboards (Ducky Shine 2 and Epsilon come to mind) with a rotated switch or switches. It doesn't change how the switch feels. But the're only rotated either upside down (180 from normal) or clocked at 90 degrees.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:34:28 by CPTBadAss »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #7612 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:12:50 »
Will all the key caps from an old Cherry G80-1800 fit a modern keyboard?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7613 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:14:38 »

The mod rows won't fit a standard 1.25x ANSI keyboard but the other caps should be fine. Oh and the right shift and capslock will be off too.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #7614 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:15:27 »
i LOVE heavy switches, every thing I have are blacks or greens, but am considering grays or clears for my next build and am unsure of which to go off of.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7615 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:17:18 »
i LOVE heavy switches, every thing I have are blacks or greens, but am considering grays or clears for my next build and am unsure of which to go off of.

Greens and Tactile Greys are rated at the same actuation force but I found that Greys are too heavy for me. But I like Greens. It's odd but that's just what I like. Stock Clears are very nice.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7616 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:20:32 »

Clears will feel pretty light if you don't bottom out, btw.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7617 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:40:12 »

I've seen a few keyboards (Ducky Shine 2 and Epsilon come to mind) with a rotated switch in a few spots. It doesn't change how the switch feels. But the're only rotated either upside down (180 from normal) or clocked at 90 degrees.

I think he meant a bit rotated around the horizontal axis? Basically to enhance the profile. The Model M has this as its plate is bent, also some ergo keyboards like the Kinesis Advantage do this. It is kind of difficult as the PCB has to be flexible or each row has to have its own PCB, thus manufacturers rather create the profile curve via the keycaps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7618 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:41:56 »
I think he meant a bit rotated around the horizontal axis?

You're rotated a bit around the horizontal axis :|

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7619 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:48:56 »
You're rotated a bit around the horizontal axis :|

Rude! Racist! :eek:

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7620 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 14:51:44 »
Just because he's german doesn't mean he's Axis... incredibly racist CDTNewAss
I love Elzy

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7621 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 22:36:07 »
Are there any mass-produced winkeyless tenkeyless boards?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7622 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 23:25:06 »
Alright I know that the default size for costar stabilizer wires is listed as .047".  However, does anyone know if .045" or .051" will work?  The reason I am asking is because I found some PTFE coated spring temper 304 stainless wire but it is pretty expensive.  List price at the website I found was $64.47 for a single 70 inch long piece of it.  And I was wondering if the size difference would make much difference if at all.  I was thinking of leaning toward the .045" as it is dimensionally closer and would be a touch easier to fit into the proper places, along with being slightly easier to bend without cracking and breaking (a serious consideration at this price).
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7623 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 23:31:24 »
Alright I know that the default size for costar stabilizer wires is listed as .047".  However, does anyone know if .045" or .051" will work?  The reason I am asking is because I found some PTFE coated spring temper 304 stainless wire but it is pretty expensive.  List price at the website I found was $64.47 for a single 70 inch long piece of it.  And I was wondering if the size difference would make much difference if at all.  I was thinking of leaning toward the .045" as it is dimensionally closer and would be a touch easier to fit into the proper places, along with being slightly easier to bend without cracking and breaking (a serious consideration at this price).

Are you asking this because you're having difficulty finding the appropriate wire, or you prefer to use a wire type which doesn't come in the suggested size?  I found the suggested wire for pretty cheap, so I'd expect you would be able to as well, unless I'm misunderstanding the situation here. 

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7624 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 23:49:07 »

Are you asking this because you're having difficulty finding the appropriate wire, or you prefer to use a wire type which doesn't come in the suggested size?  I found the suggested wire for pretty cheap, so I'd expect you would be able to as well, unless I'm misunderstanding the situation here.

Asking because I found a different wire that is PTFE coated (permanant lubrication on the wire) but the closest 2 sizes are .002" under or .004" over sized.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7625 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 23:56:02 »

Asking because I found a different wire that is PTFE coated (permanant lubrication on the wire) but the closest 2 sizes are .002" under or .004" over sized.

Ahhh, yes, so you're seeking that property.  Got it.  Just wasn't sure if you wanted that or were "settling" for it.  Hmm.  Well, I would suspect that you might prefer it to be oversized if anything, to avoid any rattle that might occur, but you obviously don't want to go on a hunch that I have when it costs that much.  I wonder if you could find a cheaper material in those sizes to test the fit?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #7626 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:00:46 »
ptfe coating metals is actually pretty easy if you have access to krytox. thinned krytox grease is basically self-leveling ptfe powder. coat, then hit it with a butane torch. quench in solvent (i use acetone). repeat for a thicker layer. lubricity of thinned krytox is high enough that you're using very little lubricant + ptfe mix to get a thin, even layer. anything you manage to burn into carbon (maybe some pfpe strands, but more likely excess ptfe) will come off in the solvent with the nucleation of quenching. i've coated a whole bunch of 3d printer cold-ends this way and it's pretty fantastic. usually when ptfe is used for printer cold ends, it's a thick liner and acts as a serious thermal barrier. the 10-20mic layer you get from this process reduces coefficient of friction but is too thin to be a thermal barrier.

oh, keep in mind that a hell of a lot of formaldehyde is released whenever ptfe melts. ventilation is quite key.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7627 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:05:40 »
ptfe coating metals is actually pretty easy if you have access to krytox. thinned krytox grease is basically self-leveling ptfe powder. coat, then hit it with a butane torch. quench in solvent (i use acetone). repeat for a thicker layer. lubricity of thinned krytox is high enough that you're using very little lubricant + ptfe mix to get a thin, even layer. anything you manage to burn into carbon (maybe some pfpe strands, but more likely excess ptfe) will come off in the solvent with the nucleation of quenching. i've coated a whole bunch of 3d printer cold-ends this way and it's pretty fantastic. usually when ptfe is used for printer cold ends, it's a thick liner and acts as a serious thermal barrier. the 10-20mic layer you get from this process reduces coefficient of friction but is too thin to be a thermal barrier.

oh, keep in mind that a hell of a lot of formaldehyde is released whenever ptfe melts. ventilation is quite key.

Thanks for the info on that mkawa.  I will have to give that a try.  Any suggestions on if carbon steels or stainless lets the coatings stick better?  I do still have most of that krytox I got from you.  I used half the thin with just a touch of the thick mixed in.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7628 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 09:11:20 »
Are there any mass-produced winkeyless tenkeyless boards?

Don't think so. None come to mind at the moment at least.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7629 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 15:10:35 »

The mod rows won't fit a standard 1.25x ANSI keyboard but the other caps should be fine. Oh and the right shift and capslock will be off too.

if you're a profile stickler, the delete, pg down and end keys are also the wrong profile.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7630 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 16:23:54 »
anyone else get "Awaiting Approval" when posting int the classy's? did that change recently?  :rolleyes:

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7631 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 16:26:46 »
anyone else get "Awaiting Approval" when posting int the classy's? did that change recently?  :rolleyes:
Is it red?

PM an online mod or admin and they can look at it and approve it.

Usually that's when a post triggers the spam filter for whatever reason (usually it has links or pictures), but it can be for other reasons. Do you have your pictures present and properly tagged with your name/date?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7632 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 16:28:09 »
Is it red?

PM an online mod or admin and they can look at it and approve it.

Usually that's when a post triggers the spam filter for whatever reason (usually it has links or pictures), but it can be for other reasons. Do you have your pictures present and properly tagged with your name/date?

Thanks for the info but yea it's just a normal post, nothing out of the ordinary, I was thinking it was a false positive or something. Never seen that before.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #7633 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 17:01:51 »
What's the best way to open cherry MX switches? is using a tool such as the beasts or that binder clip mod necessary?

Also is it possible to open plate mounted switches like on the poker without desoldering first?

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #7634 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 17:02:43 »
What are the benefits of Korean custom made keyboards?

Offline Brad 808

« Reply #7635 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 17:03:55 »
So, looking for a source for plate mount stabilizers, cherry or costar. It seems that WASD is out and I can't google up a good source.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7636 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 17:04:07 »
So I just finished up bolt modding a Lexmark M with a new barrel plate and while everything works in aquakeytest, a couple keeps sound different.  moslty a couple around the T and the enter in the numpad area.  The enter in the numpad area has an extra "pin" upon release.  Also the "T" doesn't register until almost all the way down.  It does click at the actuation point just doesn't happen at the same place in the keystroke as the rest of the keys. 

Would this be a good indicator of time to replace the springs and hammers?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7637 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 17:06:53 »

Custom (obviously), programmable, aesthetics, heavy (solid feel)... maybe someone else wants to add onto this list.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7638 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 17:09:47 »

Metal case, programmable, sometimes with programmable backlighting. Also, because they require assembly you can really customize them to make it "your" keyboard.

1. What's the best way to open cherry MX switches? is using a tool such as the beasts or that binder clip mod necessary?
2. Also is it possible to open plate mounted switches like on the poker without desoldering first?

1. There is no real best way but beast switch tools are pretty nice. Apart from that pretty much anything goes:
2. No, not unless you have a custom aftermarket plate.

Thanks for the info but yea it's just a normal post, nothing out of the ordinary, I was thinking it was a false positive or something. Never seen that before.

Afaik for now all classifieds threads have to be approved because many people didn't follow the new rules.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7639 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 17:17:24 »
So, looking for a source for plate mount stabilizers, cherry or costar. It seems that WASD is out and I can't google up a good source.

There is information on stabilizer sources in the beginning of this thread, first page.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #7640 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 17:38:53 »
1. There is no real best way but beast switch tools are pretty nice. Apart from that pretty much anything goes:
2. No, not unless you have a custom aftermarket plate.

I see. Thanks for posting that video, are there more video tutorial type things somewhere? I vaguely recall mkawa starting a series, but I forgot where on the forum he posted it...

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7641 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 17:46:37 »
I see. Thanks for posting that video, are there more video tutorial type things somewhere? I vaguely recall mkawa starting a series, but I forgot where on the forum he posted it...

You can find the GH channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/geekhackin
I would also recommend WhiteFireDragon's videos.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7642 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 21:56:39 »
So I just finished up bolt modding a Lexmark M with a new barrel plate and while everything works in aquakeytest, a couple keeps sound different.  moslty a couple around the T and the enter in the numpad area.  The enter in the numpad area has an extra "pin" upon release.  Also the "T" doesn't register until almost all the way down.  It does click at the actuation point just doesn't happen at the same place in the keystroke as the rest of the keys. 

Not trying to double post my question but after thinking about this, could this be caused by the screws being to tight?  This seems plausible because the sandwich isn't letting the hammers strike, and delaying the return motion causing the exaggerated ping.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7643 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 22:13:19 »

Not trying to double post my question but after thinking about this, could this be caused by the screws being to tight?  This seems plausible because the sandwich isn't letting the hammers strike, and delaying the return motion causing the exaggerated ping.

Yes, this can be it. I had a similar issue on one of my Ms.

Make sure they are all only "finger" tight.

I was going to post this in response to your first question anyway. :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7644 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 22:14:39 »

Alright, I will back them off.  I actually tightened them down with a nut driver.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #7645 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 22:21:36 »

Alright, I will back them off.  I actually tightened them down with a nut driver.
I use a small nut driver attachment for my precision screwdriver set, and it works quite well.

Offline tbc

« Reply #7646 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 04:08:40 »
are people finding that dsa caps are hard to pull off on pcb mounted clears?

i ended up completely malforming the latches on a switch i put onto my techkeys pcbs.  the top now 'bobs' and wiggles whenever imtap it with any pressure.  obviously, this isn't a big deal, but i'm not sure if the switch would survive after many more 'uncappings'
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7647 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 05:11:31 »

DSA caps are a bit tighter and clear stems are a bit thicker, so yes, this is a known issue.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7648 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 06:08:40 »

DSA caps are a bit tighter and clear stems are a bit thicker, so yes, this is a known issue.

This is by design - see SP FAQ#22: http://keycapsdirect.com/faq.php#22
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7649 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 06:12:50 »
This is by design - see SP FAQ#22: http://keycapsdirect.com/faq.php#22

With issue I mean that the combination of DSA and Clears can cause trouble, not the DSA caps being tighter.