Author Topic: Why no love for Cherry ML Switch?  (Read 63900 times)

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
Why no love for Cherry ML Switch?
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 00:42:18 »
Some of you have compared the ML switch to MX ergo-clears...I'm going to order one now :)

Offline PointyFox

Re: Why no love for Cherry ML Switch?
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 00:43:07 »
Some of you have compared the ML switch to MX ergo-clears...I'm going to order one now :)

It's a trap!

Offline keymaster

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 01:32:52 »

It's a trap!

By the way, does anyone know if the keycaps are dyesub or laser etched?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 01:39:51 »
Think they are Doubleshots
SmallFry! <3

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 02:51:52 »
Nope, ML are a bit heavier.
The actuation force is the same with MX brown and ML.  I think both are 45 cN.

55cN peak force, 60 cN to bottom out. It's more or less the same, but required force grows faster and the bump is "sharper" on ML. That's why MLs feel almost like lighter clears to me. I have to smash them to bottom out—just like on clears. On the other hand, I can't type efficiently on browns (and blues) without bottoming out.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 22:33:16 »

They're ABS caps and the legends are just printed on there. I wish they were doubleshots.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 22:34:48 »

They're ABS caps and the legends are just printed on there. I wish they were doubleshots.

You seem to be very knowledgeable with all of this. Is there anywhere one could get replacement ML keycaps?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 00:52:00 »
Nope, except from other old ML boards. The stems on the bottom of the caps are completely different shape, so MX and ML caps are not interchangeable. The switches are too thin to support a plate too. So that means zero customization on caps or adding a plate.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 02:20:19 »
You seem to be very knowledgeable with all of this. Is there anywhere one could get replacement ML keycaps?

I guess SP can make them.

Which ones? Mine are lasered&filled POM.

Offline flizz

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 03:25:37 »
how do they feel vs the other switch types?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 03:35:45 »
how do they feel vs the other switch types?

They are like if MX Clear had a baby with a bad rubber dome.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 10:47:20 »
They feel like browns or clears but the bump is more pernounced or stiff. It bottoms out very quick. Check out some pics if you can.
SmallFry! <3

Offline RougeR

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 12:15:01 »
still working on doing some ML mods, got the dremel out today :D
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 12:39:32 »
They feel like browns or clears but the bump is more pernounced or stiff. It bottoms out very quick. Check out some pics if you can.

You neglected to mention that it takes like 10x the amount of force to push down the buttons if you press them off-center, and the squishy, grinding feeling as they bottom out.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 23:15:46 »
They take about the same pressure to press it down but it is grittier
SmallFry! <3

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 23:20:30 »
A quick lube job should fix up the grittiness.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 23:23:25 »
I luubed my ergo clears, now they feel like browns...
SmallFry! <3

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:57:24 »
www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-Slimline-Keyboard-83-Keys-USB-PS2-Grey-G84-4100-/380553840843?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item589ac6c8cb

Is this the one every got off of Ebay? I just got this one in yesterday. It is interesting and cheap but on mine you can see on every key where they were cut from molding is this normal?

Offline morpheus

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 09:29:37 »
www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-Slimline-Keyboard-83-Keys-USB-PS2-Grey-G84-4100-/380553840843?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item589ac6c8cb

Is this the one every got off of Ebay? I just got this one in yesterday. It is interesting and cheap but on mine you can see on every key where they were cut from molding is this normal?

Yes, that is the one.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 18:08:48 »
I received mine today and used it at work for a few hours. At first I thought the compact format would take some time getting used to, but I was typing normally within an hour. The ML switch doesn't feel too much different than MX browns. I really like it and I haven't experienced any problems the off-center keypresses some have noted. For $16 and free shipping, this thing is a no-brainer for anyone who likes MX brown switches. The small form-factor is really nice for cramped deskspaces -- more so than I thought it would be. I'm thinking about lubing the switches, but someone mentioned that they feel completely like browns afterwards.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:46:42 »
I received mine today and used it at work for a few hours. At first I thought the compact format would take some time getting used to, but I was typing normally within an hour. The ML switch doesn't feel too much different than MX browns. I really like it and I haven't experienced any problems the off-center keypresses some have noted. For $16 and free shipping, this thing is a no-brainer for anyone who likes MX brown switches. The small form-factor is really nice for cramped deskspaces -- more so than I thought it would be. I'm thinking about lubing the switches, but someone mentioned that they feel completely like browns afterwards.

In my previous post to this thread, I replied that I couldn't get used to it. But I took it out again, after seeing how lonely it looked in the corner of my room. And guess what? I started to warm up to it. And after a couple hours, I'm loving it.

It feels great, sort of like browns but a little stiffer, maybe because it's not lubed. But anyway, it's a nice little change from the norm. And it takes up wayyyyy less space, which is quite nice also.

Overall, I'm liking it more and more. And for $15 bucks, this is a steal!

I highly recommend this board now.

I think I'll get another one for my office.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:51:53 by morpheus »

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:51:20 »
So..no one else feels an increase of like 800% of the force needed to press the keys at their corners?

Offline morpheus

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:53:06 »
So..no one else feels an increase of like 800% of the force needed to press the keys at their corners?

Nope not really. I think if you wear it in, the key travel gets lighter. Just my opinion, can't speak for others.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:55:01 »

Nope not really. I think if you wear it in, the key travel gets lighter. Just my opinion, can't speak for others.

I'm tempted to bring mine into work and use a compression tester to determine the exact amounts of force needed to press the keys in different spots :P

Offline morpheus

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:58:13 »

I'm tempted to bring mine into work and use a compression tester to determine the exact amounts of force needed to press the keys in different spots :P

This is a total darkhorse of a keyboard. I never thought I could get so much joy from such a small form factor. It actually reminds me of a shinier version of the old Thinkpad keyboards which were a dream to type on.

I just ordered another one :)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 23:00:13 »
Yeah, I'm using it at work and love it.  I HATE how the keys feel, but love how it looks and how much more desk space I have.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 23:01:28 »
Oh and I forgot to mention that these have decent sized rubberized feet on the all four corners on the bottom and on the 2 flip out feet as well.

And it has num lock, numpad, scroll lock, and caps lock, with corresponding led lights which glow that old school green color and aren't as annoyingly in your face like other boards.

What more can you ask for?

Offline keymaster

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 23:24:28 »
In my previous post to this thread, I replied that I couldn't get used to it. But I took it out again, after seeing how lonely it looked in the corner of my room. And guess what? I started to warm up to it. And after a couple hours, I'm loving it.

It feels great, sort of like browns but a little stiffer, maybe because it's not lubed. But anyway, it's a nice little change from the norm. And it takes up wayyyyy less space, which is quite nice also.

Overall, I'm liking it more and more. And for $15 bucks, this is a steal!

I highly recommend this board now.

I think I'll get another one for my office.

I'm beginning to like it more than my Leopold with browns. Now I just have to be patient for the Great Lakes meet so I can try out some clear switches...

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 23:27:16 »
Mine feels like sandpaper, I guess I need to lube... but not sure it's worth the trouble since I'm not huge on the layout.  But the size is nice! :)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 23:37:04 »
Mine feels like sandpaper, I guess I need to lube... but not sure it's worth the trouble since I'm not huge on the layout.  But the size is nice! :)

The size is crazy nice.

I was gonna get a used monitor and another cherry browns for a laptop battlestation, but this keyboard is smaller than my laptop keyboard and is the perfect size for it. So, now I can save a bunch of money and just use this keyboard with my laptop.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 23:08:52 »
Keymaster's Keyboard Journal

Day 3
For reasons unbeknownst to me, I am succumbing to the dark side of the ML switch. It speaks to me. It wants me to spread its divine teachings to the far reaching corners of cyberspace.

Day 4
En Taro Cherry ML! The void hungers for followers...

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 23:17:33 »
How do I lube Cherry ML?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 23:38:36 »
How do I lube Cherry ML?

From what I've gathered in this thread is that you have to open the switch and lube the 4 sides of the switch where it connect with the slider groove (front, back, left, right).  Though you might be able to get away without opening it but you have to lube the 4 sides of the slider from outside and hopefully the lube will be able to get into it.

Refer to page 3 or so for better instructions lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline morpheus

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 00:02:00 »
How do I lube Cherry ML?

I think this user is from Geek Hack...he just uploaded a nice video review and instructions on how to lube...

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:52:45 »
I dislike how the keys register after the bump and resistance starts to go up again.  It makes the bumps useless as feedback.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 23:07:00 »
wat?

That's exactly why I like ML/clears—never bottom out. Blues on the other hand...

Offline Hyde

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 23:29:37 »
What type of lube do you guys use?  I tried white lithium grease on my other keyboards but I find it gets a bit messy also it looks like it dries up eventually.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline keymaster

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:05:25 »
How do I lube Cherry ML?

I think this user is from Geek Hack...he just uploaded a nice video review and instructions on how to lube...

Awesome video review by WFD as usual. I really like the "scratchiness" of the ML switch, though. I also happen to like browns, so that may explain why. I'd describe the resistance of the switch more as being "muddy" rather than "scratchy". The sound of the switch is also nice. It sounds a little like MX clears, at least from what I've heard in videos of MX clears.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 01:32:09 »
Yes, that would be my video. I gave it an honest ~4 of usage and I just can't come to like it. I was going to post that video on here but ever since I neglected that keyboard, I didn't bother lol. I guess morpheus found it instead.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 10:54:53 »
I find Cherry ML to be like scissor switches except worse.. Frictiony, too much force when pressed all the way down, binds on off-centre key presses, not dampened on the bottom.

The only things that the Cherry ML have going for it is that the switches are discrete and that the pin layout is so that it can be mounted on a stripboard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2013, 11:00:47 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline dante

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 11:54:52 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-Slimline-Keyboard-83-Keys-USBPS2-Grey-G844100-/380553840843

^ "More than 10 available / 165 sold"

Did this person hijack a shipment?

Offline Jamesbeat

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 17:14:53 »
I think it's a real shame that these switches aren't pin compatible with MX's.
There are a lot of nice tiny boards out there that would have been perfect to transplant browns into...

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 19:04:43 »

Dont press there.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline nar

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 03:56:19 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-Slimline-Keyboard-83-Keys-USBPS2-Grey-G844100-/380553840843

Free shipping for US
$30 for Canada =_=
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 14:56:09 »
Since my other three boards were sent back to the retailers i bought them from  I've been using my G84-4100 all day today.

It isn't as bad as I expected for a $15 keyboard and the smaller layout has not really hindered my typing like I thought it might.

The space bar sounds weird and the home key kind of sticks.

Now I've got to find another board to try.....

Offline dante

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 15:03:33 »
I've been using mine for a couple days now and love it.  I've been trying to figure out how I can get a better layout though.  For a quick fix I think I am going to get a programmable numberpad (G84-4700) and popping off/rearranging keys across the two to make some sort of frankenstein tenkeyless.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 23:54:50 »

Free shipping for US
$30 for Canada =_=

NOW they ship international?  Really?  When I bought it they only ship to US and now I have to wait forever for my friend to proxy it to me.  If only I waited I probably would've got it sooner  =______=

<--  Still waiting on my US friend to ship me the keyboard, sighhhhhhh

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 00:00:46 »

Free shipping for US
$30 for Canada =_=

NOW they ship international?  Really?  When I bought it they only ship to US and now I have to wait forever for my friend to proxy it to me.  If only I waited I probably would've got it sooner  =______=

<--  Still waiting on my US friend to ship me the keyboard, sighhhhhhh

Hehe me too mang :)
But patience is a virtue, especially things found via GH.

Offline geminimech

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 13:49:16 »

I don't hit the keys on the corners, so I have to try to have this problem like I suspect most people who dog on this board do.  Like licking a canker sore even though you know it's only going to cause you pain.

I can see the problem if it cost you 50-80 dollars, but at 16 bucks you really have to be jaded to take issue with it.  I'm used to a Choc Mini layout so that aspect doesn't bother me, and I really need to stop being lazy and lube the switches.  Bottom line, it's an awesome budget travel board for mechanical lovers, and one stays in my computer bag.
Topre Realforce 87U Variable | Choc Mini MX Brown | Cherry G84-4100 ML