Author Topic: Gaming Headset (Soundy thingys) With Glasses?  (Read 15089 times)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Gaming Headset (Soundy thingys) With Glasses?
« on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:32:13 »
Hi, So i have always needed glasses just never realised how much hehe, just noticed I couldn't read some text on my screen and popped on my glasses for the first time in years and couldn't believe how much they helped, also they make me look sexy :3

Anyhow now they rub horrendously on my headset when ever i move (Even breath) and was wondering what anyone else did, if they just put up with it, I do need something for gaming and not a huge price tag if possible. I was thinking some sort of on-desk mic & ear-bud combination but I would love some mic/ear-bud recommendations please as I have never used either? Cheers all!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Bullveyr

Re: Gaming Headset (Soundy thingys) With Glasses?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:42:37 »
I guess that heavily depends on the frame of the glasses and the headphone (+ the form of your head), glasses and a "normal"headphone/headset is be far not an automatic no-go.

I can't really remember if I had problems with various gaming headphones but I have zero issues with my AKG K701 which I'm using for couple of years now.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:44:47 »
I guess that heavily depends on the frame of the glasses and the headphone (+ the form of your head), glasses and a "normal"headphone/headset is be far not an automatic no-go.

I can't really remember if I had problems with various gaming headphones but I have zero issues with my AKG K701 which I'm using for couple of years now.

Well i do have a large-ish head, and my glasses are quite wide, not sure if this helps anyone :D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:45:19 »
Headphones + external mic > any gaming headset
I use a Logitech something or other on desk mic and switch up my headphones depending on my mood. Not a fan of in-ear buds because I feel like they are raping my ear canal, but my roommate swears by his Shure SE215-K.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:53:51 »
I sometimes wear safety glasses with my headphones—usually sennheisers, but I've also tried AD500s (same shape as AD700, which are often recommended for gaming), and they were fine.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 06:58:22 »
Can't recommend the Razer Carcharias enough. Good quality headphones and mic, comfortable and I wear glasses 24/7 too and have no problem with them

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 07:08:24 »
i have a TB xp400 with glasses something similar to this and they fit fine.

+

=
OK

| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Brown

• Mechanical Keyboard Virgin
Re: Re: Gaming Headset (Soundy thingys) With Glasses?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 07:20:20 »
Can't recommend the Razer Carcharias enough. Good quality headphones and mic, comfortable and I wear glasses 24/7 too and have no problem with them
+1. I wear glasses 24/7 and the Carcharias fit like a charm.  It's very comfortable and won't give you any pain like other headsets do.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 07:41:56 »
+1. I wear glasses 24/7 and the Carcharias fit like a charm.  It's very comfortable and won't give you any pain like other headsets do.

And the only reason I got them in the first place was because bittech seemed to really like them, not a huge razer fan at all

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 08:09:43 »
If you look beyond just headsets but also look at headphones (which you can use in combination with either a clip on or desk-stand mic to achieve the same thing), then there are a lot of options that do not fit as snugly, and have soft cushioned earcups. They are easy to use when wearing glasses. An example would be the Sennheiser HD518 which seems reasonably priced. It is cheaper than most high end headsets, which leaves you enough money to get a soundcard (example, Asus xonar low-mid range 40 bucks) and mic (zalman clip on 10 bucks).

Personally I like the wider range of products in headphones, the fact that you can use them for other things than just the PC, and it is easier to avoid that " gamer"  look.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 08:35:46 »
This isn't based on facts or real experience but imho for a headphone to work best with glasses it should have soft earcups and and a rather loose pressure on your head.

You guys wear your glasses while sleeping? :p
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 08:54:20 »
This isn't based on facts or real experience but imho for a headphone to work best with glasses it should have soft earcups and and a rather loose pressure on your head.

You guys wear your glasses while sleeping? :p

yeah man, just incase

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 16:31:59 »
Definitely go the headphone and mic route that people have been pushing you toward.  You can grab something like the Antlion Mod Mic http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/modmic  or the Zalman clip on mic http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

From there, just find some headphones that are comfortable.  OCN and Head-fi both have some good threads for recommendations:

http://www.overclock.net/a/most-commonly-recommended-audio-products-guide

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated

Something like the AudioTechnica ATH-AD700 might be good for you since it's a solid pair of headphones for gaming, has soft pads, and doesn't put a lot of pressure on your ears.

Offline TDub

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 08:06:41 »
I own the SteelSeries Siberia v2 and am very happy with it. For me glasses aren't optional and I don't like wearing contacts when using a PC. The Siberia fits comfortably and doesn't put to much pressure on the glasses (even after long hours in front of the monitor). But like others have said it often depends on your frame. Some glasses are just more comfortable with headphones then others. I can't recommend ear-buds that go behind the ear since that usually doesn't work well with glasses, but again it depends on the combination of the frame and the ear-buds.

Offline WarNutts

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 10:26:29 »
siberia v2 all the way!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 10:28:30 »
For a general style of headphone, you want over-ear as opposed on on-ear. Over-ear will be the most comfortable to wear with glasses.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 14:56:24 »
For a general style of headphone, you want over-ear as opposed on on-ear. Over-ear will be the most comfortable to wear with glasses.
This.  I had a great pair of noise-cancelling Sony's that I had gotten for free, but they were on-ear.  Once i started wearing glasses full time, my roommate was kind enough to gift me a pair of the Razer Orca's for Christmas, which I've been using for two years now.  The key to look for when trying them on, in my experience, is the adjustment of tension in the headband part (you don't want to be kinking the arms of your glasses by smashing them into your temple) as well as the overall diameter of the cup so that is has plenty of space to cover your ear and seal it even with the glasses. I also run voice through my webcam mounted on top of my monitor, so I can also skype/do all that jazz without having to full dork out with my headset.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 18:00:57 »
Audio Technica AD700 or 900's. I wear glasses and these are SUPER confortable even with glasses on
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 18:12:03 »
^I second what Beast said.  I gamed with A700s for a while, while wearing glasses, without issue.  I then upgraded to Beyer DT990s and still don't have any issues gaming with glasses on.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 18:12:57 »
Get non-sexy glasses that are thinner.:D
What about earphone/buds with an inline mic? Might just need an stereo/mic splitter.
Siberia comes in two forms. I was thinking about getting the neckband for my phone/ipod.

I would say stay away from surround sound or noise canceling or anything like that. They sound great but put kind of tight seal on your head. Open back may be the way to go.
SmallFry! <3

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 21:21:55 »
I wear my Gunnar glasses with a Logitech G930 wireless gaming headset. They fit pretty comfortably and I haven't had any issues with this combo.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 23:34:40 »
I have plastic glasses and g930. They hurt my ears when my glasses are on. I have a larger head though.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 04:47:56 »
The oculus rift, no doubts about it.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline Kempher

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 21:46:48 »
Audio Technica AD700 or 900's. I wear glasses and these are SUPER confortable even with glasses on

This is my setup, ie the 900s + a modmic. http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/modmic

I had a problem with my 2.0 mic and they have the best customer service, instant replies and they sent me their new prototype 3.0 mic, its sweet.
SQ-1800 /w Gateron Blacks

Offline Joxx

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 21:49:20 »
Agree on the Carcharias, very very comfortable with ok sound and the mic doesn't pick up too much background noises.
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 22:18:28 »
Double monocles, problem solved!

Offline Silit

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 10:35:07 »
My Sennheiser 558s give me no issues when I wear my glasses.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 11:33:31 »
i roll with astro a40s, i often have em on my head 10+ hours a day and they never give me any issues
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Kabuks

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 12:03:29 »
i roll with astro a40s, i often have em on my head 10+ hours a day and they never give me any issues

Can also reccomend A40's. I've had mine for 2 years and they still are in mint condition while using them every day.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 12:44:12 »

I'm jelly. I kinda want to try a set of those out sometime, but they are so expensive >.<
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Kabuks

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 13:50:40 »

I'm jelly. I kinda want to try a set of those out sometime, but they are so expensive >.<

They are well worth the investment.

Offline Creizai

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:55:57 »

Great for games, TERRIBLE for movies & Movies compared to the A900.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:00:38 »

Great for games, TERRIBLE for movies & Movies compared to the A900.

Anything with a mic attached is going to sound terrible to the trained ear. It's convenience over quality.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:18:11 »

They are well worth the investment.

Eh, are they really though? Aren't they like $200 and only come with a 1 yr warranty? The Logitech 930 wireless gaming headset I have has a 2 yr warranty and is like $60-80 on sale.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:25:12 »
oooh! I'd love a pair of a40's but can't afford them currently. I'll have a save I think, cheers all! :D

Offline Creizai

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 21:02:26 »

This is my setup, ie the 900s + a modmic. http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/modmic

I had a problem with my 2.0 mic and they have the best customer service, instant replies and they sent me their new prototype 3.0 mic, its sweet.

Imma try this bad boy thanks

Offline Kayliss

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 13:44:28 »
AD-900's and a logitech desktop mic is perfect for me. I wear glasses all the time and AD-900's are very comfortable.  :D